hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you can completely ignore the Celtic game where a penalty is given that wins them the game, with about the last kick of the ball, against Hibs when their striker has actually got his shot away? That's without even factoring in their first penalty given for a 50:50 header in the box. I've watched football a long time and have never seen either of these result in a penalty.

On a separate point Celtic are, apparently, lawyered up for their appearance at Hampden for Rodgers charge against him. They're looking for VAR audio of certain events.

Notwithstanding this, if you don't want to acknowledge the negative impact VAR and some, frankly, bizarre (meaning biased) refereeing decisions have had against us this season then you're, probably, in a minority of one. Either that or your involved in something else.
    I think that - grudgingly - his point probably stacks up when made in relation to other seasons. Every club will see the decisions that go against them, not see the ones that go for them and see some sort of victim hood where it pretty much balances out over the piece.

That’s not been the case for us this season though, particularly over the past few months. The huge, costly, contentious decisions that have repeatedly gone against us have been ridiculous, 10 years’ worth in a couple of months.

When it comes to stuff like giving a manager the benefit of the doubt, it must be taken into account on this occasion that Scottish refereeing completely going to pot has impacted on our fortunes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    You're basically agreeing with me here, even though you don't realise you're agreeing.
    Ive now decided you’re clearly on the windup.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Watched a game in the English lower leagues were one team was absolutely battered the other even though it was 0-0 . It looked like only a matter of time before they were going to score and in fact it looked like it was a game going to end up 3 , 4 or more .

What happened then was the team doing all the attacking got a penalty which they missed and what happened after that was quite remarkable as the team who looked like they were going to get a right doing came right back into it and ended up being the better team .

Point being I think they got such a huge lift mentally when the other team missed the penalty that it spurred them on . It's just like when a team scores a penalty or a red card is issued .

Decisions do have an effect on games and the teams mentality maybe even more so when there's a bad decision and one teams feeling aggrieved about the decision . Also can cost points too like it has us over the last two seasons . To say it doesn't well I don't know what to say to that really......
    Of course they do nonsensical to say otherwise. Similar to the saying goals change games.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think that - grudgingly - his point probably stacks up when made in relation to other seasons. Every club will see the decisions that go against them, not see the ones that go for them and see some sort of victim hood where it pretty much balances out over the piece.

That’s not been the case for us this season though, particularly over the past few months. The huge, costly, contentious decisions that have repeatedly gone against us have been ridiculous, 10 years’ worth in a couple of months.

When it comes to stuff like giving a manager the benefit of the doubt, it must be taken into account on this occasion that Scottish refereeing completely going to pot has impacted on our fortunes.
    Yep you need to ask why people wouldn't want to give the manager the benefit of the doubt in those instances. Cue the pile on when we inevitably lose on Saturday.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Ive now decided you’re clearly on the windup.
    Not at all. It's hardly my fault you're not smart enough to follow a debate. All you've really offered is snide pedantry, your general posting style. It's not big and it's definitely not clever.

A 12 page thread about a couple of Jambo pre-contract signings - crikey .

Who was the last pre-contract we signed from a SPL team? Seems an avenue we don't use as much as others unless I'm much mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Who was the last pre-contract we signed from a SPL team? Seems an avenue we don't use as much as others unless I'm much mistaken.
    In fairness, at least a quarter of the thread isn’t about hearts signings, and it’s all gotten a little silly now hasn’t it?

Nobody is claiming that they can be 100% sure what would’ve happened in every game had decisions went differently. What they are saying, and I don’t think anyone could seriously deny, is that we would very likely have picked-up significantly more points were it not for some very ‘questionable’ decisions in the last few months (whatever you think the reasons for these decisions being made are).

Then pages of the noisy few pointing out that there aren’t any guarantees in football, and some of the dropped points have been of our own making. Aye, everyone knows that - does it mean that ridiculous refereeing doesn’t matter and we should just accept it? Making out that people are suggesting they can predict results 100% is as ridiculous as it would be if said people were accusing others of making out that sending-offs and penalties don’t really make a difference to the outcome of the game.

Telling people they can’t talk about points being cost as a result of the decisions we’ve seen is plain silly/deliberately obtuse.
    Last edited by WeeRussell; 28-03-2024 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Oh and I’m not sure about the pre-contract question LH.

Clearly my long-winded post wasn’t aimed at you.. you just gave me a nice lead-in 😁

Thought I had gone into Kickback for a moment reading the posts on this thread.Too many Hearts love in threads on here for my liking.
    I know it's an international break but are we not taking it too far.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    ****** the Hertz

Not at all. It's hardly my fault you're not smart enough to follow a debate. All you've really offered is snide pedantry, your general posting style. It's not big and it's definitely not clever.
    Its all good, you can hold whatever opinion of me you like, the main thing is that I now understand that you are the guy that gets to decide whether someone is agreeing with you or not, regardless of their views on the matter..

Left by mutual consent!
    Its all good, you can hold whatever opinion of me you like, the main thing is that I now understand that you are the guy that gets to decide whether someone is agreeing with you or not, regardless of their views on the matter..
    DH's post basically backs up everything I've said then tags on an errant, one-eyed conclusion. I'm comfortable that in this case I am correct. I'm well aware that isn't always the case and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong when presented with facts that do so. Nobody has done anything like that here.

The problem with internet forums is too many people just want to be correct for the sake of their arrogance and ego, facts are just a hindrance to their campaign. Hibs.net is sadly no different. Folk get all butthurt and childish when they can't win a debate. It would be more interesting if folk could park their egos and sit down and actually think instead of just reacting based on the fear they may be wrong.

Platonic dialogue is generally the best way to engage. Don't worry about who is right, stop being binary, and enjoy the finding out.

It'll never catch on.

I'm comfortable that in this case I am correct. .
    Im sure you are.

Left by mutual consent!
    Im sure you are.
    Snide as usual. 👍

Snide as usual. 👍
    Not at all. Im pointing out you are extremely confident.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    ****** the Hertz
    Wholeheartedly agree. End of discussion?

Left by mutual consent!
    Not at all. Im pointing out you are extremely confident.
    You are really awfully tedious. I'll put you on block, nothing lost, that's for sure. 👍

My phone just blew up with irony.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Wow, that escalated slowly.

I've read the whole thread now and come to the following conclusions:

First, this thread put me in mind of the fight scene in Anchorman between all the different newsreader/reporter squads. Second, who Hearts sign is meh and who we sign is the real issue. Third, its impossible to settle the whole 'If my auntie had baws' argument about referee decisions so probably best to let the longer term record of NM resolve all that. Fourth, "can't we all just learn to get along?" - no, no we can't. Fifth, I've just renewed season tickets for me and the boy so yet again my Hibernian heart has overruled my logical head in the annual triumph of hope over expectation that generally constitutes my 40-odd year love affair with this club.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    What did I miss?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    What did I miss?
    Just a game of who is in the right tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Thought I had gone into Kickback for a moment reading the posts on this thread.Too many Hearts love in threads on here for my liking.
    I know it's an international break but are we not taking it too far.
    Who has a love in with Hearts like? What a ridiculous comment.

No Hibs fan has anything but dislike for Hearts. Many are still able to be objective about them.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    In fairness, at least a quarter of the thread isn’t about hearts signings, and it’s all gotten a little silly now hasn’t it?

Nobody is claiming that they can be 100% sure what would’ve happened in every game had decisions went differently. What they are saying, and I don’t think anyone could seriously deny, is that we would very likely have picked-up significantly more points were it not for some very ‘questionable’ decisions in the last few months (whatever you think the reasons for these decisions being made are).

Then pages of the noisy few pointing out that there aren’t any guarantees in football, and some of the dropped points have been of our own making. Aye, everyone knows that - does it mean that ridiculous refereeing doesn’t matter and we should just accept it? Making out that people are suggesting they can predict results 100% is as ridiculous as it would be if said people were accusing others of making out that sending-offs and penalties don’t really make a difference to the outcome of the game.

Telling people they can’t talk about points being cost as a result of the decisions we’ve seen is plain silly/deliberately obtuse.
    You've nailed it.

My phone just blew up with irony.
    😂

Absolutely spot on

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yep you need to ask why people wouldn't want to give the manager the benefit of the doubt in those instances. Cue the pile on when we inevitably lose on Saturday.
    You'd hope that folk would be realistic in the challenges we face this weekend without the pile on though, or is that asking for too much ? .

@hibs.net private member

Well said that man.

DH's post basically backs up everything I've said then tags on an errant, one-eyed conclusion. I'm comfortable that in this case I am correct. I'm well aware that isn't always the case and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong when presented with facts that do so. Nobody has done anything like that here.

The problem with internet forums is too many people just want to be correct for the sake of their arrogance and ego, facts are just a hindrance to their campaign. Hibs.net is sadly no different. Folk get all butthurt and childish when they can't win a debate. It would be more interesting if folk could park their egos and sit down and actually think instead of just reacting based on the fear they may be wrong.

Platonic dialogue is generally the best way to engage. Don't worry about who is right, stop being binary, and enjoy the finding out.

It'll never catch on.

to Philisophical for me Voltaire 🧐

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    You'd hope that folk would be realistic in the challenges we face this weekend without the pile on though, or is that asking for too much ? .

Nice straw man you've got there, shame if it were to suddenly burst into flames...

I don't think I've seen a single poster on any thread suggest that this weekend will be anything other than a very tough gig given that we are playing 11 men plus 5 officials away (which come to think of it is 16 opponents over 90 minutes, just saying), but well done on getting your retaliation in first .

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Nice straw man you've got there, shame if it were to suddenly burst into flames...

I don't think I've seen a single poster on any thread suggest that this weekend will be anything other than a very tough gig given that we are playing 11 men plus 5 officials away (which come to think of it is 16 opponents over 90 minutes, just saying), but well done on getting your retaliation in first .
    Neither have I seen a single poster on any thread suggesting it isn't anything but a very tough gig too and most fans if not all know about the officials now in games against Sevco especially after what they witnessed in our cup game . Anyhow this is one game if it goes wrong hopefully we can all cut the manager and team some slack . No retaliation at all 👍