hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even one point for St Mirren in their last three (M’Well a, Hearts h, Celtic a) will make it difficult for us to pass them. Think it’ll be tough, but possible, to pass Dundee. If we do pass Dundee we will beat St Mirren into 5th. Taking out Killie for 4th would be a big ask.
    Have you seen the league table recently?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Should we be ignoring Motherwell. They've won two games on the bounce until they were unfairly treated against Aberdeen. They have to play both Dundee and Hibs and if they win both, they will be on the same points as us. Obviously, we have home to St Johnstone, whilst they have home to St. Mirren, but it might come down to goal difference.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Should we be ignoring Motherwell. They've won two games on the bounce until they were unfairly treated against Aberdeen. They have to play both Dundee and Hibs and if they win both, they will be on the same points as us. Obviously, we have home to St Johnstone, whilst they have home to St. Mirren, but it might come down to goal difference.
    Motherwell are six points behind us with three games to play. No chance they'll catch us before the split. They haven't won three games in a row all season. In fact, out with us, Celtic, Rangers and Hearts there won't be many teams in the league that have won three in a row.

Dundee/Rangers rearranged for April 10th, they'll have their final game v Aberdeen (away) 3 days later. Big advantage for us.

Confident we’ll get at least sixth spot (nothing to celebrate I know) confidence is in way were playing just now really enjoying some of the football we’re playing maybe even scramble a European spot somehow ,let’s get right behind the team and hopefully a good end to the season ,and then we hopefully with the Bill Foley investment in the playing side have a successful 2024/25 season canny wait ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    The question is simple enough. If we had sacked him after relegation how long long would he have been in charge? I think they are totally different situations.and not really comparable.
    Exactly. Comparing apples and oranges.

If Monty does not get top 6, he should go. I think however the board's pride in their own man after the LJ disaster would prevent that from happening.

3 games until the split this is how I see it going.

Rangers away - Battered...can't see anything else happening. If we can keep it respectable fair enough.

St Johnstone - Home - Narrow win, Potter will make it difficult as you know he will but think we should have enough.

Motherwell away - Draw

4 points...

I think Dundee will get 6points from Thier remaining 4 games so looks like it may come down to goal difference Which should see just scrape into the top 6 imo

@hibs.net private member
    It’s a sad reflection on the season and on the fortunes of our once great club that we are debating whether we can get in to the top six places in Scottish football. Unfortunately, that’s the reality we have come to and that’s not just over a short period.

Going forward from here, I sincerely hope our future threads are debated on how far we are going in Europe. Or how did we have to settle for third.

When the very small version of me started going to ER in the sixties, my older cousin, who took us, and the punters round about, were still waxing lyrical about The Famous Five and Joe Baker having left too soon. Or how was it possible that these players had not brought the cup back to ER.

Then we had the, all too short period, when the tactical genius that was Eddie Turnbull took Willie McFarlane’s side, added two players and we reached some to dizzy heights of expectation. After that we have had lots of failure but brief moments of joy to keep us coming back.

How did we get to the stage of being content scraping in to the top six? Our club season tickets promotion this year is all about generations. It’s TIME Hibs, to have a generation of consistent and prolonged success. This season is already a failure. Let it be the last for a long time.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    It’s a sad reflection on the season and on the fortunes of our once great club that we are debating whether we can get in to the top six places in Scottish football. Unfortunately, that’s the reality we have come to and that’s not just over a short period.

Going forward from here, I sincerely hope our future threads are debated on how far we are going in Europe. Or how did we have to settle for third.

When the very small version of me started going to ER in the sixties, my older cousin, who took us, and the punters round about, were still waxing lyrical about The Famous Five and Joe Baker having left too soon. Or how was it possible that these players had not brought the cup back to ER.

Then we had the, all too short period, when the tactical genius that was Eddie Turnbull took Willie McFarlane’s side, added two players and we reached some to dizzy heights of expectation. After that we have had lots of failure but brief moments of joy to keep us coming back.

How did we get to the stage of being content scraping in to the top six? Our club season tickets promotion this year is all about generations. It’s TIME Hibs, to have a generation of consistent and prolonged success. This season is already a failure. Let it be the last for a long time.
    Well done, you have put into words, what the majority of us probably feel. It won’t stop us supporting the Club, but surely it’s time for something better.

Are we content with scraping top six?

Every manager we have is under massive pressure these days. A manager who finished third got the bullet a few months later. A manager who finished fifth got the bullet a few months later.

I’d also disagree that the season is a failure……..it’s not at that stage quite yet. We still have an opportunity to qualify for Europe via the league which would represent some form of success in the end.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

I’m not sure anyone is content with top six but for me that has to be a minimum requirement. From where we were and looked like heading it has to be seen as a short term goal. Get top six and then gun for a higher place and see where we get to.

No-ones content with top six. But because of the position we're in its a relevant conversation because of the financial implications. A euro run or cup run in future years is a bit harder without the cash generated by another round of derby and OF games and league position prize money the year before.

Something to aim for is not playing the league cup group stages so we need at least 5th to achieve that

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    No-ones content with top six. But because of the position we're in its a relevant conversation because of the financial implications. A euro run or cup run in future years is a bit harder without the cash generated by another round of derby and OF games and league position prize money the year before.
    Agree with this and would add it's not just the financial implications. If we can finish the season at least semi-strongly with NM and the team feeling a bit of positive momentum then there's something to build on. The alternative is we spend the summer debating him getting binned and he starts next season under pressure with a split sceptical support.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

To be fair you have a very selective memory about our "Once Great Club". You said you started going to see Hibs in the 1960's and everyone was still waxing lyrical about the Famous Five. Just for the sake of accurate History, let's take a look at "Our Once Great Club's" league positions in the 1960's when you started watching.

season 56/57 - 9th
    season 57/58 - 9th
    season 58/59 - 10th
    season 59/60 - 7th
    season 60/61 - 8th
    season 61/62 - 8th
    season 62/63 - 16th !!!!!
    season 63/64 - 10th
    season 64/65 - 4th (YAYYYY TOP 6 !!!!)
    season 65/66 - 6th
    season 66/67 - 5th
    season 67/68 - 3rd (Now we are motoring)
    season 68/69 - 12th (ohhh pants)

So during the 13 years between 1956 and 1969 we acheived top 6 (in an easier league with 18 teams in it and only having to play the best teams twice) on just 4 occasions.

I love the history of our club and while I don't personally remember the Famous 5 or even Turnbulls tornadoes as I didn't start going to matches till the early 80's, I very much respect their legacy and have humbly asked for both Pat Stanton and Lawrie Reilly's autograph as a grown man. However our "Once Great Club" has always had long period of struggling to be consistently a top four side. As you well know, almost every decade since has seen that same inconsistency.

when you look at our record in the 1960's.. maybe our last 6 seasons of 5th, 8th, 3rd, 7th, 5th, 4th isn't quite as bad as you are making out.

I want us to be battling for third every year. You want us to be battling for third every year.. but apart from a few glorious years in the late 1940's and 1950's (yes that's 70+ years ago) and then a much shorter period at the start of the 1970's (just the 50 years ago) we have never managed to do that.

If the modern Hibs ever really does manage to put together a consistant run of being a top 4 side for even 5 years on the trot, it will be the most consistent our beloved team has been for 50 years.
    Last edited by worcesterhibby; 25-03-2024 at 08:10 PM.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    The thread is will we make top 6 mate. We are up against Dundee surely?
    I read the title
    I was giving my (nonprofessional) opinion but I do think I made my point clear
    St midden could end up in bottom 6

GG2TH

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    To be fair you have a very selective memory about our "Once Great Club". You said you started going to see Hibs in the 1960's and everyone was still waxing lyrical about the Famous Five. Just for the sake of accurate History, let's take a look at "Our Once Great Club's" league positions in the 1960's when you started watching.

season 56/57 - 9th
    season 57/58 - 9th
    season 58/59 - 10th
    season 59/60 - 7th
    season 60/61 - 8th
    season 61/62 - 8th
    season 62/63 - 16th !!!!!
    season 63/64 - 10th
    season 64/65 - 4th (YAYYYY TOP 6 !!!!)
    season 65/66 - 6th
    season 66/67 - 5th
    season 67/68 - 3rd (Now we are motoring)
    season 68/69 - 12th (ohhh pants)

So during the 13 years between 1956 and 1969 we acheived top 6 (in an easier league with 18 teams in it and only having to play the best teams twice) on just 4 occasions.

I love the history of our club and while I don't personally remember the Famous 5 or even Turnbulls tornadoes as I didn't start going to matches till the early 80's, I very much respect their legacy and have humbly asked for both Pat Stanton and Lawrie Reilly's autograph as a grown man. However our "Once Great Club" has always had long period of struggling to be consistently a top four side. As you well know, almost every decade since has seen that same inconsistency.

when you look at our record in the 1960's.. maybe our last 6 seasons of 5th, 8th, 3rd, 7th, 5th, 4th isn't quite as bad as you are making out.

I want us to be battling for third every year. You want us to be battling for third every year.. but apart from a few glorious years in the late 1940's and 1950's (yes that's 70+ years ago) and then a much shorter period at the start of the 1970's (just the 50 years ago) we have never managed to do that.

If the modern Hibs ever really does manage to put together a consistant run of being a top 4 side for even 5 years on the trot, it will be the most consistent our beloved team has been for 50 years.
    Whilst that’s a good and informative post WorcesterHibby I’m not sure that you haven’t missed the point I was making, none of which particularly contradicts your statistics. For the record my first game was in 66 and things didn’t feel too bad at all for the young me, despite the glory days already living in the memory of those older supporters round about. Even 68/9 involved a cup final, the result was not great of course but we were there.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    Point taken. Mathematically it’s technically out of our hands but we have 9 points up for grabs. If come April 14th 47 points wouldn’t have gotten us in the top 6 drop I’ll be beyond surprised.

I still think 6 will do the job.
    If Dundee get nothing from their game against Rangers, then 6 will do it.

It's been an abject failure of a season..so far. We can salvage it to an extent by scraping a European place. It's still possible. Bottom six would be a disaster.