hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It literally isn't
    Point taken. Mathematically it’s technically out of our hands but we have 9 points up for grabs. If come April 14th 47 points wouldn’t have gotten us in the top 6 drop I’ll be beyond surprised.

I still think 6 will do the job.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    Point taken. Mathematically it’s technically out of our hands but we have 9 points up for grabs. If come April 14th 47 points wouldn’t have gotten us in the top 6 drop I’ll be beyond surprised.

I still think 6 will do the job.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Does it really matter?

The derby is all we'd really be missing out on, and a few quid.

Unless we somehow have a storming post-split run and sneak 4th
    Given it's a home derby, quite a lot of quid to be fair.

I wouldn’t put money on us finishing top six but we do have a bit of momentum.
    There’s plenty positives when you look at our players individually.

Most of them have hit a bit of form and our defence has improved.

It’s going to be a close call but one thing I would say is that it’s unacceptable for a club this size to be finishing bottom six.

@hibs.net private member
    Does it really matter?

5th will likely get European football which is the ultimate goal. Take 6 points before the split and it wouldn’t surprise we if we are sat in 5th at the split,

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    5th will likely get European football which is the ultimate goal. Take 6 points before the split and it wouldn’t surprise we if we are sat in 5th at the split,
    Would be an amazing end to the season if we can qualify for Europe.

If we can take the 6 points you mention, at least the fight will be on.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    One thing that should be a given is if we don’t make top six Montgomery has to go. That is a minimum and with the window we’ve just had and the fixtures we’ve had since not making top six is a failure. I think we will make it and kick on post split.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    St Mirren have a really tricky run in and could potentially get nowt
    So I believe we will

GG2TH

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    St Mirren have a really tricky run in and could potentially get nowt
    So I believe we will

GG2TH
    The thread is will we make top 6 mate. We are up against Dundee surely?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    The thread is will we make top 6 mate. We are up against Dundee surely?
    Not necessarily. Take 6 points and I think we have equal chance to come above Dundee, St Mirren or both (at time of split)

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    We're capable of beating anyone.

We're capable of losing to anyone.

Top 6 is not in our own hands and Dundee have been playing well.

I certainly wouldn't be betting on us.
    That's how I see it too.

Don't get this Dundee will only get 4 points - they could easily get 9 or 10 (less likely now their home game v Sevco has been postponed).

We really needed the two points we dropped v Ross County last week.

Does it really matter?

i hope rangers are still in with a chance of winning the tittle and they play us at easter road last game of season, id give them no tickets and watch the seeth

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    One thing that should be a given is if we don’t make top six Montgomery has to go. That is a minimum and with the window we’ve just had and the fixtures we’ve had since not making top six is a failure. I think we will make it and kick on post split.
    When we were relegated under Alex Mcleish would you have sacked him?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

From memory, we were already relegated when AM took over or close to it at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    From memory, we were already relegated when AM took over or close to it at the very least.
    We weren't relegated. It came down to the last fixture which we lost to Dundee Utd at home. Top 6 this season may go down to the last fixture before the split. Would you sack NM if we lost out?

How long would he have been given?

First Team Breakthrough
    Neither Hibs or Dundee will beat Rangers so it all boils down to the remaining games before the split.Hibs should beat St J .Dundee are away to St J and home to Motherwell before the last fixture before the split..Not easy games for Dundee but give them 4 points.Down to the last game and Dundee are up in Aberdeen and we are away to Well.I think the Dons will beat Dundee and let’s hope Hibs get the result we need .Simple

How long would he have been given?
    I don't understand your question.

Into days climate some fans (who apparently know everything about tactics although they don't work with the players every day) would have torn him down piece by piece.

McLeish was a great man manager, an aspect more important than having tactical nous imho - that can come supplementally.

He learned a bit on the job, his season with Motherwell, the latter part of the first/relegation season with Hibs and then in the first division.

He lucked out a bit first by being chosen as a EUFA observer, taking tactical notes on Portugal in the World Cup in 1998, where he picked up on the 352 formation then again where injury to McIntosh forced him to move Sauzee to the middle of the back three, where he played for Hibs thereafter. Sacking him after the relegation would have been idiotic because, as I have pointed out, he was a cracking man manager who then slowly came across a tactical set-up which worked L.f.

Would you have sacked him after the relegation?

I don't understand your question.

Into days climate some fans (who apparently know everything about tactics although they don't work with the players every day) would have torn him down piece by piece.

McLeish was a great man manager, an aspect more important than having tactical nous imho - that can come supplementally.

He learned a bit on the job, his season with Motherwell, the latter part of the first/relegation season with Hibs and then in the first division.

He lucked out a bit first by being chosen as a EUFA observer, taking tactical notes on Portugal in the World Cup in 1998, where he picked up on the 352 formation then again where injury to McIntosh forced him to move Sauzee to the middle of the back three, where he played for Hibs thereafter. Sacking him after the relegation would have been idiotic because, as I have pointed out, he was a cracking man manager who then slowly came across a tactical set-up which worked L.f.

Would you have sacked him after the relegation?

The question is simple enough. If we had sacked him after relegation how long long would he have been in charge? I think they are totally different situations.and not really comparable.

The question is simple enough. If we had sacked him after relegation how long long would he have been in charge? I think they are totally different situations.and not really comparable.
    He would have been in charge four months.

Maybe it doesn't suit you to see the comparison as valid, fair enough.

I reckon it's perfectly valid and in the modern culture, where the internet is way more pervasive than in 1998, McLeish would have a whole host of fans tearing strips off him including minor gripes being amplified way above their importance and lambasting him for the failures of others.

There's a lack of patience around NM, some people wanted him out months ago even though there's obvious signs of learning and is on a bit of an up people are scared of their opinion being proved wrong (a known internet trait) and are picking on anything from his manner of speech to perceived tactical mistakes.

I think we'd be getting rid of a good man manager, who don't grow on trees, and who is learning about this godforsaken footballing backwater pretty quickly.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion re the comparison but you've moved from "we were relegated anyway" to picking out an arbitrary length of time. Not washing here I'm afraid.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    By the time we play Motherwell they will be confirmed bottom 6. I don't fancy Dundee getting much at St J given their predicament. At the same time we need to play them however we are at home so expect us to win that game.

Quietly confident top 6 will be assured and I am looking at the teams above.
    Think Dundee are a better team than St Johnstone and will win there.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Would disagree with that though sure many will see your view. Think all things considered he should stay until next season

He would have been in charge four months.

Maybe it doesn't suit you to see the comparison as valid, fair enough.

I reckon it's perfectly valid and in the modern culture, where the internet is way more pervasive than in 1998, McLeish would have a whole host of fans tearing strips off him including minor gripes being amplified way above their importance and lambasting him for the failures of others.

There's a lack of patience around NM, some people wanted him out months ago even though there's obvious signs of learning and is on a bit of an up people are scared of their opinion being proved wrong (a known internet trait) and are picking on anything from his manner of speech to perceived tactical mistakes.

I think we'd be getting rid of a good man manager, who don't grow on trees, and who is learning about this godforsaken footballing backwater pretty quickly.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion re the comparison but you've moved from "we were relegated anyway" to picking out an arbitrary length of time. Not washing here I'm afraid.

McLeish took over at a point where the writing was already firmly on the wall with not much time to change it. Montgomery has had the vast bulk of this campaign and only missed about 4 league games if I recall correctly?

Making the point out McLeish doesn’t really mean much if you consider the same question can be asked of Butcher, should we have kept him and backed him for the 2014/15 season to get us back up? The answer is obviously no but some at the time were adamant he not be sacked at any point in the run up to us actually getting relegated and I bet he still had one or two supporters even after it that probably pretend they weren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    McLeish took over at a point where the writing was already firmly on the wall with not much time to change it. Montgomery has had the vast bulk of this campaign and only missed about 4 league games if I recall correctly?

Making the point out McLeish doesn’t really mean much if you consider the same question can be asked of Butcher, should we have kept him and backed him for the 2014/15 season to get us back up? The answer is obviously no but some at the time were adamant he not be sacked at any point in the run up to us actually getting relegated and I bet he still had one or two supporters even after it that probably pretend they weren’t.
    Ok. Let's say that's correct.

Do you think there would have been a group of Hibs calling for McLeish to be sacked given the lack of patience these days? Some were calling for NM to be sacked by at least new year of not before.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar

Do you think there would have been a group of Hibs calling for McLeish to be sacked given the lack of patience these days? Some were calling for NM to be sacked by at least new year of not before.

You could easily list the short and noisy line of posters already.

After winning 2 out of 12 leading up to relegation coupled with winning 2 out of his first 6 in the First Division, including a home loss to Stranraer, he be getting chased at that point!

Even in the first year back up, finishing 6th in a 10 team league, with a team including Sauzee, Latapy and Mixu would draw a certain level of criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    After winning 2 out of 12 leading up to relegation coupled with winning 2 out of his first 6 in the First Division, including a home loss to Stranraer, he be getting chased at that point!
    Correct. I was around on hibs.net then (have been since Gregor and Stuart opened the door) and people were raging at him. Soon died down though.

Even in the first year back up, finishing 6th in a 10 team league, with a team including Sauzee, Latapy and Mixu would draw a certain level of criticism.
    Some fans blank out that first season back which includes a 0-4 against Killie.
    He insisted on playing Sauzee in midfield where he would often have to come off after 60-70 minutes leaving us fragile. Only a stroke of bad luck for McIntosh saw him move Sauzee back into a three (good luck for us) then we looked way more balanced.

My opinion, which isn't all that important to me that I'll dig my heels in for ever more, is that we have a great man manager who has made mistakes but is learning quickly, (much like McLeish) he's also had some horrendous officiating which has nibbled away at our points total and probably done us out of a LC final place. He's worth holding onto. It's a gamble but every signing and managerial appointment is a gamble.

Last edited by Kato; 20-03-2024 at 08:45 AM.

It's unfortunate we have to go to Ibrox. On paper Dundee have the easiest of the remaining games and a free hit at Rangers at home.

Even one point for St Mirren in their last three (M’Well a, Hearts h, Celtic a) will make it difficult for us to pass them. Think it’ll be tough, but possible, to pass Dundee. If we do pass Dundee we will beat St Mirren into 5th. Taking out Killie for 4th would be a big ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Even one point for St Mirren in their last three (M’Well a, Hearts h, Celtic a) will make it difficult for us to pass them. Think it’ll be tough, but possible, to pass Dundee. If we do pass Dundee we will beat St Mirren into 5th. Taking out Killie for 4th would be a big ask.
    We’ve already passed Dundee?