hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will we make top 6?

I certainly hope so, but it's difficult to see.

We are just as likely to drop points to Rangers as Dundee are and our other games are basically the same except they have Aberdeen.

If we miss out by a point or two it's partially down to unexpected and unjustified refereeing.

Not sure how it would change my view on Monty as I like what he's done and there have been huge improvements over recent weeks. I like what his changes to the midfield and would like him to have the chance to do more.

Hopefully we get at least 6 points from remaining matches (highly possible) and Dundee have a horrible run.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Yes

@hibs.net private member
    Who knows

I disagree that it’s difficult to see. More likely than not given the current positions for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who knows
    Mystic Meg?

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    It's definitely in our favor with the fixtures. Rangers will beat Dundee when that game comes around. That leaves them with.....

St Johnstone Away

Motherwell Home

Aberdeen Away

We're already 2 ahead and as I say they'll get beat against Rangers. So the most I see them getting out those fixtures is 4, at a big push 5. 1 Point away to St Johnstone, 3 points against Motherwell, 1 against Aberdeen, that's best case scenario for them. That would in theory have them 3 points ahead.... but we have the better goal difference.

We're got...

Rangers Away

St Johnstone Home

Motherwell Away

We'll beat St Johnstone and draw against Motherwell. Even if we get beat against Motherwell, beating St Johnstone will be enough to get us top 6.

We're in the much much better position here.

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    It's definitely in our favor with the fixtures. Rangers will beat Dundee when that game comes around. That leaves them with.....

St Johnstone Away

Motherwell Home

Aberdeen Away

We're already 2 ahead and as I say they'll get beat against Rangers. So the most I see them getting out those fixtures is 4, at a big push 5. 1 Point away to St Johnstone, 3 points against Motherwell, 1 against Aberdeen, that's best case scenario for them. That would in theory have them 3 points ahead.... but we have the better goal difference.

We're got...

Rangers Away

St Johnstone Home

Motherwell Away

We'll beat St Johnstone and draw against Motherwell. Even if we get beat against Motherwell, beating St Johnstone will be enough to get us top 6.

You'd expect Sevco will beat Dundee . Going by we won't get anything at Ibrox , their game against St Johnstone is the one that will tell us who has the advantage going into the last two games before the split. A win for Dundee and we are relying on other teams to do us a favour .

A saints win would be great though a draw equally as good as it would be in our owns hands then . I think we will beat St Johnstone and if Aberdeen can beat Motherwell there then we certainly can too .

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I disagree that it’s difficult to see. More likely than not given the current positions for me.
    I cannae believe anyone really thinks it’s difficult to see!

Don’t see us getting anything at Ibrox but should pick up a decent number of points from the other two games. We‘ve been playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_dundee View Post
    I certainly hope so, but it's difficult to see.

We are just as likely to drop points to Rangers as Dundee are and our other games are basically the same except they have Aberdeen.

If we miss out by a point or two it's partially down to unexpected and unjustified refereeing.

Not sure how it would change my view on Monty as I like what he's done and there have been huge improvements over recent weeks. I like what his changes to the midfield and would like him to have the chance to do more.

Hopefully we get at least 6 points from remaining matches (highly possible) and Dundee have a horrible run.
    As much as the officials have been rank rotten for us, I'm not going to let anyone hide behind it if we fail to make top 6. It's down to us dropping stupid points from winning positions, going on winless runs lasting multiple months at a time, and ultimately being unable to stop conceding stupid goals.

That being said, I do for some weird reason believe we'll make top 6. I've written off the Rangers game up next as I usually do but after that I think we'll pick up maximum points from Motherwell/St Johnstone. I'm not so sure Dundee will pick up the 9 points from their remaining 4 games needed to make up that difference if we can put just two wins together.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post

St Johnstone Away

Motherwell Home

Aberdeen Away

We're got...

Rangers Away

St Johnstone Home

Motherwell Away

Think you’re being a bit harsh on Dundee there. 1 win from 4 is absolutely not there best case scenario imo.

I do agree we should probably be slight favourites but I think it’ll take at least 4 points for us, potentially 6. 6 or 7 points for Dundee is far from unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    As much as the officials have been rank rotten for us, I'm not going to let anyone hide behind it if we fail to make top 6. It's down to us dropping stupid points from winning positions, going on winless runs lasting multiple months at a time, and ultimately being unable to stop conceding stupid goals.

That being said, I do for some weird reason believe we'll make top 6. I've written off the Rangers game up next as I usually do but after that I think we'll pick up maximum points from Motherwell/St Johnstone. I'm not so sure Dundee will pick up the 9 points from their remaining 4 games needed to make up that difference if we can put just two wins together.
    It as been down to us especially in a few games were we have been 2-0 up only to draw though if we were only talking about a point or two dropped to bad decisions I wouldn't be that bothered ( anyone can make a mistake after all ) though it's not , we have probably lost the guts of around 12 points this season which is massive and it shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either . That has also had a major bearing on things as well as poor performances too .

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I cannae believe anyone really thinks it’s difficult to see!

Don’t see us getting anything at Ibrox but should pick up a decent number of points from the other two games. We‘ve been playing well.
    We're favourites but it's not beyond Dundee to get a couple of wins out of those 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    It as been down to us especially in a few games were we have been 2-0 up only to draw though if we were only talking about a point or two dropped to bad decisions I wouldn't be that bothered ( anyone can make a mistake after all ) though it's not , we have probably lost the guts of around 12 points this season which is massive and it shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either . That has also had a major bearing on things as well as poor performances too .
    I don't really disagree with you that the decisions especially over the last couple of months shouldn't be brushed under the carpet and a real inquest on the ineptitude of the officials needs to happen. But I do think we're a bit blinkered that it only happens to us with some big recency bias, there will be plenty of other times teams around us were robbed out of the opportunity to turn 1 point into 3 here and there and while someone may be able to point to us having more bad decisions than others I just personally won't accept it as an excuse for failure from people at the club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    We're favourites but it's not beyond Dundee to get a couple of wins out of those 3 games.
    See Owen Beck is injured an away back to Liverpool for 6 weeks. That won't hurt us.

Motherwell are still in the equation given they will be looking at turning us over at Fir Park. They win their 3 last games it's theirs. I guess that's at least in our hands though. We need to be taking 6 points I think. We won't get any more than 44 points so we are relying not only on picking up 2 wins from 3 but hoping Dundee are incapable of beating St J and Aberdeen - 2 of this seasons honking teams.

I think St Mirren have hit a dip so Motherwell be looking to win that at home - then we are all hoping Dundee drop points against Motherwell. We could be celebrating Dundee getting beat by Motherwell which would set up winner take all at Fir Park with them having momentum.

Loads of permutations but I'll say this.

Hibs - 44 pts

Rangers - 0
    St Johnstone - 3
    Motherwell -3

Dundee - 41 pts

Rangers - 0
    St Johnstone - 1
    Motherwell - 3
    Aberdeen - 1

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post

To say the decisions which have cost us likely more than 6 points aren’t a factor isn’t fair because they are as relevant as any other factor in results and league position.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    Motherwell are still in the equation given they will be looking at turning us over at Fir Park. They win their 3 last games it's theirs. I guess that's at least in our hands though. We need to be taking 6 points I think. We won't get any more than 44 points so we are relying not only on picking up 2 wins from 3 but hoping Dundee are incapable of beating St J and Aberdeen - 2 of this seasons honking teams.

I think St Mirren have hit a dip so Motherwell be looking to win that at home - then we are all hoping Dundee drop points against Motherwell. We could be celebrating Dundee getting beat by Motherwell which would set up winner take all at Fir Park with them having momentum.

Loads of permutations but I'll say this.

Hibs - 44 pts

Rangers - 0
    St Johnstone - 3
    Motherwell -3

Dundee - 41 pts

Rangers - 0
    St Johnstone - 1
    Motherwell - 3
    Aberdeen - 1
    Yes Motherwell are still in it and they were unlucky v Aberdeen decision wise.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    By the time we play Motherwell they will be confirmed bottom 6. I don't fancy Dundee getting much at St J given their predicament. At the same time we need to play them however we are at home so expect us to win that game.

Quietly confident top 6 will be assured and I am looking at the teams above.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    How about st.mirren not getting another point from there 3 games left. Then we would just need 4 points from 3 games to finish above them.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    We're capable of beating anyone.

We're capable of losing to anyone.

Top 6 is not in our own hands and Dundee have been playing well.

I certainly wouldn't be betting on us.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    If we miss out by a point or two it’s also worth noting that we were playing catch up from the day Montgomery arrived having lost 3 of our first 4 games from favourable fixtures. If performances keep going as they have since the January recruitment, and we still miss out, I think it would be reductive to harp back to the pre January squad that would have ultimately cost us top 6 when the post January trajectory is pointing towards competing at the right end, especially with the benefit of a summer transfer window and a pre season, over the course of a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    To say the decisions which have cost us likely more than 6 points aren’t a factor isn’t fair because they are as relevant as any other factor in results and league position.
    I think it's a convenient excuse to be honest.

Did they have some impact? It's not hard to fathom they probably did, but it's impossible to know what would have happened if we get that penalty at Pittodrie or that lot don't get theirs at Tynecastle for example. Maybe we have 4 more points on the board or maybe we ended up getting less than we actually did. My issue with those decisions isn't as much points on the board its more anger at inept officiating ruining games of football.

What we can only judge and quantify is how many points we did pick up and how many we let go through out own poor displays, and that's what I'll be looking at come the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Well and truly in our hands. Can rule out anything against rangers, even if we play well the officials will see to that. That means beating St Johnstone and Motherwell to take 6 points. Relying on Dundee dropping points however I can’t see them taking more than 6 from their fixtures. I actually think 6 points could see us enter the split ahead of St Mirren.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    Well and truly in our hands. Can rule out anything against rangers, even if we play well the officials will see to that. That means beating St Johnstone and Motherwell to take 6 points. Relying on Dundee dropping points however I can’t see them taking more than 6 from their fixtures. I actually think 6 points could see us enter the split ahead of St Mirren.
    It literally isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    We're capable of beating anyone.

We're capable of losing to anyone.

Top 6 is not in our own hands and Dundee have been playing well.

I certainly wouldn't be betting on us.
    I fancy us but certainly wouldn’t put money on it. We could lose all those games and win them, as could Dundee. It’s that stage of the season where the odd weird result pops up.

I’m actually quite excited about it.

If we do make the cut I’d fancy us to pass St Mirren, probably not Killie, but you never know.

Dinny ken

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Dinny ken
    Refreshingly honest 😁

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Does it really matter?

The derby is all we'd really be missing out on, and a few quid.

Unless we somehow have a storming post-split run and sneak 4th

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Does it really matter?
    To some it’s the difference and only indicator as to whether we should sack our manager or not.

And of course it matters..