hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Our group yesterday was saying that it’s a real shame he’s become such a target. Maolida and Marcondes have certainly had a better couple of months than Youan, but former two also get caught on the ball by trying to do too much, without the furious overreaction that many give to Ele.

Maybe that’s because he tries things that are more overtly flashy, but Youan is the sort of player I want to watch at Hibs, flaws and all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he not come here as an out and out striker who can play off the left, we seem to have turned him into a wide attacker which maybe he's struggled with especially in the defensive side of that game.
    This 100%. We signed Elie as a nine.

Imagine if you have played central striker since Age 8.

16 years later, a Hibs manager tries to convert you into a touchline winger operating around the half-way line.

Instead of being in and around the penalty box you are now starting runs with 8 or 9 opposition players between you and the goals.

And mark midfielders running towards your goals.

This is what happens to coaches who try to fit round pegs into square holes.
    Last edited by RIP; 17-03-2024 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post

16 years later, a Hibs manager tries to convert you into a touchline winger operating around the half-way line.

Instead of being in and around the penalty box you arrested now starting runs with 8 or 9 opposition players between you and the goals.

It's for good reason tbf. He is much better out wide.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It's for good reason tbf. He is much better out wide.
    He's actually been much more effective when played centrally. The only reason he's been farmed out to the touchline is to accommodate our signings - Vente etc
    Last edited by RIP; 19-03-2024 at 07:33 PM.

He certainly knows how to self promote. Gets his social content professionally done with all his highlights each week. Smart move really

Exciting player. Always capable of something levels above the others. But also capable of levels well below!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    He certainly knows how to self promote. Gets his social content professionally done with all his highlights each week. Smart move really

Exciting player. Always capable of something levels above the others. But also capable of levels well below!
    A terrific asset on his day IMO. Going right back to the stunning piece of skill and composure he showed with the clock ticking down to set up Boyle for the equaliser v the yams early last season you knew he had something special to offer.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    First Hibs player to record 10 goals and 10 assists in a season since Stevie Mallan in 2019

Well done Elie

@hibs.net private member
    Still find it surprising how many people would get rid of him.

A great attacking player. Poor defensively, but that’s not why he’s in there.

We haven’t been the easiest on the eye, in the main, for a good few years now. Imagine how stale and boring we’d have been without a player like Youan.

The stick after Ross County was a bit much. We had 3 centre halves on the pitch and 2 full backs, why should keeping an eye on their most dangerous player be the responsibility of one of our attackers?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    Some people within our support have decided that Youan doesn't care. It's really sad to hear and see the abuse he gets when things don't come off for him

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    First Hibs player to record 10 goals and 10 assists in a season since Stevie Mallan in 2019

Well done Elie
    Oddly, Mallan also copped disproportionate grief on here relative to his perceived shortcomings 😅

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post

Instead of being in and around the penalty box you are now starting runs with 8 or 9 opposition players between you and the goals.

You've got this the wrong way around. Lee Johnson wanted to convert him into a number 9. He admitted that other coaches had always played Youan primarily off the left. Johnson thought he could make him an effective 9. Like a lot of things, he failed miserably at that and gave up, moving him back wide. As all his other coaches did, including his current one.

He's not a number 9.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/he-...-1659955912000

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Oddly, Mallan also copped disproportionate grief on here relative to his perceived shortcomings 😅
    I liked him could take a mean free kick not the best at tracking back but chipped in with goals and assists

I remember one game Celtic home in a 2-0 win - Lenny who had the Indian sign over Celtic - tried him at DM and he was totally outstanding bossed the midfield spraying 40 yard passes left right and centre

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Said on another thread, I reckon he’d had a boot up the arse after Wednesday night. Might have been the manager, might have been the players, I’m not sure. But I thought his work rate and application to the defensive side of the game was night and day to what we usually see from him.
    I would imagine the players have given him it tight. You can't switch off the way he does and not get any chat in the dressing room. Hopefully the penny has dropped.

@hibs.net private member wandering_hibee's Avatar
    I have always liked Youan, and don't understand the frustrations of many. He brings not only a freshness and individuality to his play but he is not scared of trying things or of getting in the box and shooting. NM appears to be trying to curb his creativity and instead fit him into a more structured player who defends better and makes plays within a system. Given that he is still producing assists and his defensive play has greatly improved in the last few games, Ross County equaliser aside, then perhaps this is the best solution for the team.

I hope that we can keep going forward as I feel we are worse off without him.

I liked him could take a mean free kick not the best at tracking back but chipped in with goals and assists

I remember one game Celtic home in a 2-0 win - Lenny who had the Indian sign over Celtic - tried him at DM and he was totally outstanding bossed the midfield spraying 40 yard passes left right and centre
    That was Mallan's solitary good performance in that position though.

He had exactly the same set of weaknesses as Dylan Levitt that made him generally a liability in that role. Celtic probably didn't feel like they needed to press Mallan so with the freedom of the pitch he was able to be be outstanding. Most of the teams we played tore into him and he struggled to cope with it.

I thought Mallan (like Levitt btw) was one of those players who you just have to remove defensive responsibilities from, like Scott Allan and Russell Latapy. If you have 2 good enough midfielders in there behind them then they should be free to create or in Mallan's case shoot. Obviously Mallan and Levitt aren't in the class of Allan or Latapy but the point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

He had exactly the same set of weaknesses as Dylan Levitt that made him generally a liability in that role. Celtic probably didn't feel like they needed to press Mallan so with the freedom of the pitch he was able to be be outstanding. Most of the teams we played tore into him and he struggled to cope with it.

I thought Mallan (like Levitt btw) was one of those players who you just have to remove defensive responsibilities from, like Scott Allan and Russell Latapy. If you have 2 good enough midfielders in there behind them then they should be free to create or in Mallan's case shoot. Obviously Mallan and Levitt aren't in the class of Allan or Latapy but the point still stands.

Dunno followed that up with two draws home and away against The Rangers a 0-1 home loss to Hearts a 4-0 cup win in Elgin where he scored a pen another 0-1 loss at Motherwell and a 3-1 win against his old club St Mirren in Paisley in which he also scored

But point taken
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 19-03-2024 at 11:45 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post

That's part of the problem for me. He just isn't team player. He's a Youan FC player. Yes he has assists and goals, but if he was more generous with the ball he'd have a few more imo. He just wants highlights for his insta. He's a young millennial, that's pretty much how a lot of them are brought up so I don't blame him entirely, it's all about the image.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

You just won't get away with players that can't press in the modern game. Other teams see that, press on that player, as they do to Levitt, and he turns over possession. It's ashame in a way, because these players are often the reason we watch football, for the moments of magic, but you have to earn the right to play, and you'll struggle to do that when you're a man down

What I don't get with Levitt is why he's not on a program at the gym to bulk up? And if he is, why isn't it working.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    You just won't get away with players that can't press in the modern game. Other teams see that, press on that player, as they do to Levitt, and he turns over possession. It's ashame in a way, because these players are often the reason we watch football, for the moments of magic, but you have to earn the right to play, and you'll struggle to do that when you're a man down

What I don't get with Levitt is why he's not on a program at the gym to bulk up? And if he is, why isn't it working.
    Add Jair to that might help his game

Back in my day clubs used to send players out digging the roads in the close season to bulk them up

Plenty of potholes nowadays 😂

Well done Elie
    Not a great reference Billy Imho the name still gives me shivers.

That's part of the problem for me. He just isn't team player. He's a Youan FC player. Yes he has assists and goals, but if he was more generous with the ball he'd have a few more imo. He just wants highlights for his insta. He's a young millennial, that's pretty much how a lot of them are brought up so I don't blame him entirely, it's all about the image.
    Absolute rubbish. So the guy with the biggest contribution to others scoring is not a team player and gets stick for not laying on more goals. That’s some opinion.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Absolute rubbish. So the guy with the biggest contribution to others scoring is not a team player and gets stick for not laying on more goals. That’s some opinion.
    How many goals does his lacklustre defensive efforts cost us per season?

Pointing out that both the upsides and downsides to the same player are both drastic is a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Hes now in league 2 in his prime years. He wasn't very good.

10 goals 10 assists and some think that abusing him to the point where hes now visibly angry at the East is justified ?

Mystifying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I think he’s brought that upon himself to a degree. He’s used up a lot of the goodwill from last season with his performances this season. We’ve often looked a better team overall without him IMO, and he doesn’t make our best 11 after the January signings.

We paid a rumoured £750k for him, so the bar to judge him against is high. He’s a good impact sub, but I’d be happy to take anything north of a million for him IMO.
    Well it's an opinion but his 19 goal involvements this season suggest otherwise.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    10 goals 10 assists and some think that abusing him to the point where hes now visibly angry at the East is justified ?

Mystifying.
    Funnily enough it’s been a few of the folk who have been calling fans who have been critical of Montgomery all sorts. Usually while they’re calling Youan a disgrace, a show pony, absolutely *****, get rid etc on other threads.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 19-03-2024 at 04:21 PM.

What a graceless, and ignorant, opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    How many goals does his lacklustre defensive efforts cost us per season?

Pointing out that both the upsides and downsides to the same player are both drastic is a fair point.
    he is not a defender and was not signed as defender.

its like slagging off rocky for not scoring enough.. show me a player that is 100% in all facets of the game.

delighted he is in our team.