hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alf

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Alf

ALf has got a fair few mentions on the MOTM thread but think he deserves a thread of his own.

Honestly think he was unbelievable in that first half - vital in all three goals. His movement and intelligence is absolutely top notch. The way he lays the ball off when under pressure, whether off the chest or with his foot or head is also tremendous.

He should be our main striker every week right now and I don't care how old he is - we should get him on another 1 year contract next year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ALf has got a fair few mentions on the MOTM thread but think he deserves a thread of his own.

Honestly think he was unbelievable in that first half - vital in all three goals. His movement and intelligence is absolutely top notch. The way he lays the ball off when under pressure, whether off the chest or with his foot or head is also tremendous.

He should be our main striker every week right now and I don't care how old he is - we should get him on another 1 year contract next year.
    Easily deserving of a year extension. Missed him so much when he was out and he's shown already how good he is at this level. Fit as a fiddle as well. I'd actually be gutted if we don't offer him anything.

Clever player, was excellent today

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Easily deserving of a year extension. Missed him so much when he was out and he's shown already how good he is at this level. Fit as a fiddle as well. I'd actually be gutted if we don't offer him anything.
    He's quality. Still got it and looks sharp as well. Some of his runs are fantastic and the team look so much better when he plays. His football brain is on a different level and, for me, that's invaluable-you can't buy that-it comes with experience.

I'd be offering him a new deal ASAP. Might not play every week but must be invaluable to have around the place for the other strikers.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Great performances in the last two games. He is also a great leader on the park. Always talking and telling his team mates where to be and where he wants the ball. I wish we had him a few years ago but I wouldn’t hesitate in signing him up for another year.

It's a no brainer one more year.

@hibs.net private member
    Clinical with added finesse and class.

Well worth another year.

If he’d been fit all season we’d be several points better off.

It’s not just the goals, it’s all the other things he does. Simple things like giving a defender a nudge, telling Youan what to do and where to be.

Showed today though that a good striker can do both sides, drop off but still be where he needs to be when the ball comes in to the box.

“Clever” is such a great description.

There was interesting interview with Alex Neil through the week where he discussed his frustrations during his time at Sunderland.

They’re a moneyball club - buying youngsters with the idea of selling them on at profit. He was very critical of the owners’ reluctance to buy the necessary little bit of experience required to help bring the talented youngsters along.

ALF seems to be the sort of player who brings more out of other players, you get the feeling he must be a joy to play alongside. Another year is a no-brainer for me. His “significant contribution to minutes on the pitch” ratio for us must be something quite ridiculous.

We’ve been stung by a few older players who’ve totally failed to cut it at Hibs (Kuqi, Johanssen). Absolutely not this guy, he’s quality.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    His vision awareness and game intelligence unselfishly creating space and openings for others and being a pain in the arse of opposition defences has not been seen since Craig Brewster and dare I say it Stevie Archibald

ALF was an inspired signing and his experience and presence has been sorely missed over the past few months when he was needed most two goals in two games says it all
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 17-03-2024 at 07:00 PM.

He's a Rolls Royce of a player 👏

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    There was interesting interview with Alex Neil through the week where he discussed his frustrations during his time at Sunderland.

They’re a moneyball club - buying youngsters with the idea of selling them on at profit. He was very critical of the owners’ reluctance to buy the necessary little bit of experience required to help bring the talented youngsters along.

ALF seems to be the sort of player who brings more out of other players, you get the feeling he must be a joy to play alongside. Another year is a no-brainer for me. His “significant contribution to minutes on the pitch” ratio for us must be something quite ridiculous.

We’ve been stung by a few older players who’ve totally failed to cut it at Hibs (Kuqi, Johanssen). Absolutely not this guy, he’s quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    His vision awareness and game intelligence unselfishly creating space and openings for others and being a pain in the arse of opposition defences has not been since Craig Brewster and dare I say it Stevie Archibald

ALF was an inspired signing and his experience and presence has been sorely missed over the past few months when he was needed most two goals in two games says it all

He is so good to watch. Even for his age he is one of the best all round strikers I've seen play at Easter Road. Can only imagine what he would have been like 10 years ago.

First Team Breakthrough
    Get a new contract sorted asap.

Fantastic performance today showed us what we're missing when he's unavailable.

Link-up play excellent vs a team and backline that you'd expect would have the advantage physically.

You just know a quality player when you see one. It just goes to show that age is only a number! One more year extension is a must!

I thought he was 35 ! He’s still that intelligent at 37 ?!! Yeh he’s definitely worth another year !

The skill he showed to set up Vente for his goal against Luzern (hard to believe that was this season!) marked him out as a player with something special to offer.

Given his age I was a bit skeptical when we signed him but he`s been great whether starting or as a sub and we definitely missed him when he was out injured . Hoping he stays with us for another season whoever we sign as well .

More league goals than Vente now with far less minutes.

He's clinical and always looks like he’ll get a chance/score.

Blog Entries
    Big + for me.

Really wish he started against rangers

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    The guy is a player. Give him another year.

@hibs.net private member
    Wish we’d signed him years ago

Love Alf needs another contract pronto!
    Such a nippy wee player and gives us a different edge we definitely missed him when he was out,really brings others into play up front and is dangerous.
    I’m humbled by my initial hesitation that we’d signed him when we did. But another year and a years option to bolster what will be an exciting summer window wouldn’t do us any harm. What’s it all about Alfie!

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Glad the Manager called him out for praise, he was immense in the 1st half. What a player.

Coaching Staff
    Was looking through the A League thread on here and saw where I said in 2019yes 2019 when he was playing for Sydney, , that if Alfie ever said he’d be interested in joining Hibs I ‘d not so much call him a taxi, but fly his 747 to make sure he got back.
    To Edinburgh.

Imagine if we had him for all that time!

One of the cleverest footballersI have seen on a football pitch.

In our league a player with “football intelligence” stands out like a sore thumb.

ALF stands out like a sore thumb.

Another contract is a no brainer for me

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Was looking through the A League thread on here and saw where I said in 2019yes 2019 when he was playing for Sydney, , that if Alfie ever said he’d be interested in joining Hibs I ‘d not so much call him a taxi, but fly his 747 to make sure he got back.
    To Edinburgh.

Imagine if we had him for all that time!

One of the cleverest footballersI have seen on a football pitch.
    Agree and I was very happy we signed him, defo worth another year at minimum

Another voice for a new contract. He's just a class act. Does the support/build up role so well but also sticks the ball in the net. He's great to watch. Age doesn't matter when you are fit and contributing like he does.