hibs.net Messageboard

Jackson Irvine who knew…

I am taking a couple of friends from Germany to the Livingston game, their first Scottish football game.(not sure what they have done to deserve that)

they are from Hamburg and football fanatics, supporting St. Pauli in league 2 over there. Jackson Irvine is their Captain!

How do we feel about him against what we have now? I thought he was good for us.

they have only good things to say about him….

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Kidd 86’ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am taking a couple of friends from Germany to the Livingston game, their first Scottish football game.(not sure what they have done to deserve that)

they are from Hamburg and football fanatics, supporting St. Pauli in league 2 over there. Jackson Irvine is their Captain!

How do we feel about him against what we have now? I thought he was good for us.

Not sure he saw his future with us and, whilst he was decent, I think that was reflected in his performances.

Clearly a good player and when he first showed up looked like a real missing piece of the puzzle for us. But I thought towards the end of the season his mind was elsewhere and I'm not sure he ever was going to stay beyond the summer. Think it was a marriage of convenience for us and him considering Covid etc maybe put some plans on hold.

Best of luck to him, seems a good bloke and I would welcome him back if he ever decided to return but I doubt that will happen.

A very meh player for us I thought.

Much like the rest of them he went missing in the cup final.

Should have scored in the cup final

Like centre hawf said above he started well but maybe seemed distracted by next move as season came to a close

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I was never a fan of Jackson Irvine at Hibs always looked as though his head was elsewhere but would do at least one good thing a game

I thought the Jackson Irvine I saw in the League Cup Final against us was what we were getting

Was one of the many failures in the Scottish Cup Final missed a goalden chance to score IIRC

Was not fussed when he left at the end of the season

I watched him recently playing for St Pauli and looked a much improved player scoring a good goal

First Team Regular
    He was never quite as good as I hoped he would be.

Left by mutual consent!
    I suspect we'll be talking about Marcondes in a similar way in a year or two.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Kidd 86’ View Post

Believe he's a bit of a cult hero there.

I liked him, thought he was good.

One of a few midfielders who have come in and made something that was pish pre-Christmas into something acceptable after - Irvine, Omeonga, Docherty, Milligan, Jeggo, Marcondes and Moriah-Welsh…

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    I suspect we'll be talking about Marcondes in a similar way in a year or two.
    I hope not. Marcondes seems to me to be giving what he's got. I think Irvine thought he was a bit above us and doing us a favour just turning up. To me he was a huge disappointment.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I hope not. Marcondes seems to me to be giving what he's got. I think Irvine thought he was a bit above us and doing us a favour just turning up. To me he was a huge disappointment.
    Remember one game QOS away in the cup

I had to ask my laddie who he was ?

Just wandering about like a fan who had won a raffle to play for Hibs

Big disappointment
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-03-2024 at 08:04 PM.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Think some people are a little too harsh on him given the context. He'd been out for months if I remember, came in for 6 months whilst he was getting back up to speed and went elsewhere at the end of his spell.

He wasn't brilliant, but don't think he was a disappointment at all given the context. He played okay and got a few goals iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Think some people are a little too harsh on him given the context. He'd been out for months if I remember, came in for 6 months whilst he was getting back up to speed and went elsewhere at the end of his spell.

He wasn't brilliant, but don't think he was a disappointment at all given the context. He played okay and got a few goals iirc.
    1:21 goals but fair point he was trying to get up to speed and no way could we match what he could possibly earn elsewhere

He was decent for us but he’s clearly far better than just decent, he wouldn’t be the captain of that St Pauli team if he wasn’t a very good footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Should have scored in the cup final

Like centre hawf said above he started well but maybe seemed distracted by next move as season came to a close
    Had a bet on him in the Final at 20s gutted he missed that excellent chance

Coaching Staff
    He was a player who normally we couldn’t afford but a quirk of circumstances helped lead to his signing.

Hibs I think were never in his long time plans……he’s a bit of a quirky individual himself actually as football players go…..but is still performing well at international level as well as at StPauli.

Still a shocking miss in the cup final though…..

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    1:21 goals but fair point he was trying to get up to speed and no way could we match what he could possibly earn elsewhere
    Yeah I think he's one the context matters for. If he stayed, he's definitely good enough to be one of our better players. The few months we got was imo expected from a player out for a long time, although I do understand why people expected more, just a shame we got him off the back of a nasty injury and nowhere near match fit.

Always felt he came across a decent bloke, never seemed desperate to get away or anything, just never felt confident he'd be here for longer.

I'm sure he said on Open Goal or one of those shows he was open to staying but the offer abroad was something he couldn't turn down, or something along those lines.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Yeah I think he's one the context matters for. If he stayed, he's definitely good enough to be one of our better players. The few months we got was imo expected from a player out for a long time, although I do understand why people expected more, just a shame we got him off the back of a nasty injury and nowhere near match fit.

Always felt he came across a decent bloke, never seemed desperate to get away or anything, just never felt confident he'd be here for longer.

I'm sure he said on Open Goal or one of those shows he was open to staying but the offer abroad was something he couldn't turn down, or something along those lines.
    Except we didn’t get him off the back of an injury.

He was training with Oldham at the time but had no intention of signing with them…..he was keeping himself fit after a few months of idleness after Hull ..who he was captain of….released their top earners because they were skint.

Hibs had midfield problems, were made anware of his anvailability and approached him.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Thought he was bang average, got the impression he didn’t want to be here, and he’s a complete and utter gimp aswell.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Me :)

Alternative, cultured kinda guy opts for alternative cultured kinda club.

Probably the link up with Boyler piqued his interest too. Worked out for both parties in a sense.
    But disappointed we didn’t really get as much out of him as Ida hoped - was always likely to move on.

wasn’t his girlfriend a nurse but down south? So Germany was an obvious choice, natürlich :) wonder if he’s a schlagen music fan :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Good player who never really showed that for us over a brief spell.

Ever think it's the club that doesn't get the best out the players, rather than the players not being up to scratch.

JI is a good example of this imo