hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah the old solid Scottish Spine. What a load of xenophobic rubbish. Here is the top 3 and their Scottish spines in their last outing.

1st Rangers - Butland, Goldson, Souttar, Lundstram, Diomande, Dessers. One Scot.
    2nd Celtic - Hart, Welsh, Scales, Iwata, Idah. One Scot.
    3rd Hearts - Gordon, Rowles, Sibbick, Devlin, Baningime, Grant, Shankland. Two Scots.

Out of 18 players from back to front in the "spine" there were 4 scots.

We need better players, it doesn't matter where they're from.
    Agree, age and nationality mean nothing. It's all about ability and desire. Look how much we missed Moriah-Welsh last night. Young laddie that's only played for Newport County. He's put most of our team to shame with his desire and work rate and skill.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy32 View Post
    The Old Firm are an anomaly in this league, irrelevant to the debate.

The best Hibs sides have always had a good core of Scottish players.

Hearts 2 best players are Scottish, and a big part of the reason that they find themselves sealing 3rd in Feb and into another Scottish Cup semi.

We’ve been dicking about for years trying to be too clever, similar to Aberdeen in that regard actually. Both with managerial appointments and player recruitment.
    The Old Firm are an anomaly because they are winning with better players nothing to do with nationality.

Hearts 2 best players are Scottish, great. So it's quality of player then you agree? Nothing to do with a Scottish spine. This is on the same level as Neil Lennon being a born winner.

Here's St Mirren "Scottish Spine" btw;

Hemming
    Gogic
    Kwon
    Boyd-Munce
    Mandron

Do you see the pattern?

First Team Breakthrough
    I think if we fail to make top 6 NM will be gone.
    Crowds will evaporate and there will be a toxic atmosphere where the fans will turn on him.
    Even if we do make top 6, our inconsistency will show him up.
    Currently we are 6 points behind Killie with an inferior goal difference and 7 behind saint mirren, again with worse goal difference, so there would have to be a respective swing of 8 and 9 points to overtake them.
    Do we really think that we will win 3 more games than these two teams out of 9 remaining when we have only won 4 out of last 15 ( 1 to lower league opposition)?

We can point out referees incompetence till cows come home, but reality is we have not been playing great , have not had a come from behind win and seemingly need to score 3 goals to win a game.

I'm as frustrated as anyone as I thought he would be a good breath of fresh air.
    It seems like another manager search will be happening very soon tho

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It was a throw in given the wrong way. An organised well prepared team can deal with that. We are not that under Montgomery. He has to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont want to see Monty emptied. but after we scored our second goal yesterday we went all to pot. there was no calm or composure on the ball. with the players we had we should have should have been looking to score another rather than invite them on. they had one shot on tarket all game until we decided to sit back and ask them questions. why we didnt just go for a third goal in beyond me. stupid gamble if you ask me. that lies with the management.

but our last few games we were cheated out of a good few points. which wasnt Monty's fault.
    I like the way we have been playing the last few games and feel gutted about yesterdays result but the season is far from over. dundee wont beat the rangers and we will see off Livi. then we have about 8 games left to go on the offensive and scalp st mirren, killie and jams.

The Old Firm are an anomaly because they are winning with better players nothing to do with nationality.

Hearts 2 best players are Scottish, great. So it's quality of player then you agree? Nothing to do with a Scottish spine. This is on the same level as Neil Lennon being a born winner.

Here's St Mirren "Scottish Spine" btw;

Hemming
    Gogic
    Kwon
    Boyd-Munce
    Mandron

Do you see the pattern?
    The best and most successful Hibs sides have always had a strong Scottish core, I’ll wait for any evidence to the contrary.

Our current squad of misfits is just a random collection of journeymen and youngsters , with painfully limited experience in defence - little wonder there is next to no team chemistry nor a bond with the fans.

St Mirren have better players than us on the whole, IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I know plenty managers have been sacked after fewer games than that but it's crazy how little time they get these days to implement a structure/way of playing. Given how mediocre we've been for several years now it's unrealistic to expect a new manager to come in and immediately hit the ground running (especially when you're working with someone else's squad for the first few months). You have to imagine Monty came here with a long-term plan, bearing in mind he was prepared to move halfway round the globe and uproot his family to take the job. On recent evidence I think he deserves more time to get where he wants to go with Hibs.
    He can have a long term plan all he wants. Long term plans require short term successes to get the chance to implement the long term plan. He’s miles from doing that.

The best and most successful Hibs sides have always had a strong Scottish core, I’ll wait for any evidence to the contrary.

Our current squad of misfits is just a random collection of journeymen and youngsters , with painfully limited experience in defence - little wonder there is next to no team chemistry nor a bond with the fans.

I'm not bothered about the best and most successful Hibs sides really. It's 2024 now and we have 6 teams above us and the top 4 all have good foreign players that are helping them reach a consistency that we can't.

You've hit the nail on the head there, St Mirren are better than us this season which is exactly my point. The "best Hibs sides" are too few and far between, we've had plenty Scots fail us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Cabbage Kid View Post
    I dont want to see Monty emptied. but after we scored our second goal yesterday we went all to pot. there was no calm or composure on the ball. with the players we had we should have should have been looking to score another rather than invite them on. they had one shot on tarket all game until we decided to sit back and ask them questions. why we didnt just go for a third goal in beyond me. stupid gamble if you ask me. that lies with the management.

but our last few games we were cheated out of a good few points. which wasnt Monty's fault.
    I like the way we have been playing the last few games and feel gutted about yesterdays result but the season is far from over. dundee wont beat the rangers and we will see off Livi. then we have about 8 games left to go on the offensive and scalp st mirren, killie and jams.
    We have improved but our inability to score more than two goals is baffling Our defence know struggles to keep a clean sheet so it’s a bad combo and gives teams belief they can come back at us late on in games

@hibs.net private member
    I’m not sure if Hibs will empty Monty or not. However if they are thinking about it and it’s a if, maybe they should do it now so a new manager has time to assess the players he has and can decide what he needs to bring in for next season.

If Monty gets 5-10 games at the start of next season and is then punted the new manager will have Monty’s players and yet again we’re in the same position we have been this season by waiting to bring players in, in the Jan window.

GGTTH

Colgan, Sauzee, Jack, Latapy, Mixu - magnificent Scottish spine. I think you might be onto something 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    6th is not total failure.
    In what way is under performing your budget not failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it’s now between Hibs, Dundee and Motherwell for final top 6 space.

Have a feeling that Motherwell away last game before the split will be a massive game / career defining for Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwoody View Post
    I think if we fail to make top 6 NM will be gone.
    Crowds will evaporate and there will be a toxic atmosphere where the fans will turn on him.
    Even if we do make top 6, our inconsistency will show him up.
    Currently we are 6 points behind Killie with an inferior goal difference and 7 behind saint mirren, again with worse goal difference, so there would have to be a respective swing of 8 and 9 points to overtake them.
    Do we really think that we will win 3 more games than these two teams out of 9 remaining when we have only won 4 out of last 15 ( 1 to lower league opposition)?

We can point out referees incompetence till cows come home, but reality is we have not been playing great , have not had a come from behind win and seemingly need to score 3 goals to win a game.

I'm as frustrated as anyone as I thought he would be a good breath of fresh air.
    It seems like another manager search will be happening very soon tho
    Which is the most frustrating thing. Hibs Board appear incapable of picking a manager, plain and simple. And every time they fail, they cost the club £millions buying in poor players, failing in the league and dropping attendances. Rinse and repeat. How long do the same people do the same things and continue to expect a different outcome ? We can only hope and pray Foley doesn't suffer fools and can help root out the problem, otherwise his few million will be the latest chunk of cash to be pissed on a Leith wall.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Are you serious? I think a number of us want a manager who can set us up properly before the game starts or, failing that, quickly make adjustments based upon what we all see with our own eyes once a game has started.

I think we'd like someone who, in parallel with the material improvement in players at his disposal, can achieve a material improvement in results.

I think we'd also like someone who, having signed his first pick to improve our central defence, managed to actually improve our central defence with the player he has specifically signed to do so.

And finally I think we'd like someone who, despite all the hard luck stories in the world (it's the injuries, it's the refs, it's international duty, the system will come right eventually), would start to bank some form and some results that look like we are improving as a team and a squad.

So, this is not "almighty overreaction every time we as much as drop a point", it's an appropriate reaction given that this is now a pretty settled pattern of underachievement, inconsistency and very poor managerial decisions.
    Agree with this 100%.

Players being played out of position in some woeful set ups, last night's first 45 minutes being as bad as I've seen and, to make matters worse, I'm seeing things that need remedying during a game before he does! He's really that bad.

No hysteria from me. I just think he's totally out of his depth and want better for my Club.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    Colgan, Sauzee, Jack, Latapy, Mixu - magnificent Scottish spine. I think you might be onto something 🤔
    Indeed. A good side. Our current crop of foreign players are nowhere near that level, nor are they likely to be even after this summers supposed tranafer bonanza.

Eclipsed in the history books by 91, 07 and 16 too. You know, Hibs teams with a bit of character - Scottish spines supplemented by a sprinkling of exotic flair. We’re too far the other way currently, team full of show ponies by and large. Our current squad (could even be extended to manager / club as a whole) are devoid of character IMO, and it shows.

I'm not bothered about the best and most successful Hibs sides really.
    A reasonable blueprint for us to try and emulate is it not?

All comes back to the club hierarchy trying to be too clever, our strategy over the last few years has been ****ing shambolic.

Will be nice to watch the Jambos have their second pop at the group stage whilst we fanny about with project players in the chase for sell on fees.

Left by mutual consent!

All comes back to the club hierarchy trying to be too clever, our strategy over the last few years has been ****ing shambolic.

Will be nice to watch the Jambos have their second pop at the group stage whilst we fanny about with project players in the chase for sell on fees.
    If you can call Lawrence Shankland a spine, then yeah, that's the blueprint right enough...

First Team Breakthrough
    Indeed. A good side. Our current crop of foreign players are nowhere near that level, nor are they likely to be even after this summers supposed tranafer bonanza.

Eclipsed in the history books by 91, 07 and 16 too. You know, Hibs teams with a bit of character - Scottish spines supplemented by a sprinkling of exotic flair. We’re too far the other way currently, team full of show ponies by and large. Our current squad (could even be extended to manager / club as a whole) are devoid of character IMO, and it shows.
    While that team were now considered legends, they also lost the league cup and failed to get promoted over two legs to Falkirk.

I thought we were very unlucky last night not to get 3 points , I'm still trying to figure out where the officials got 7 minutes from , why we didn't get the throw - in , how the Ross county player got to take it from where he did and why we played nearly 8 minutes.

Decisions recently have really cost us some vital points which would have made a massive difference, hard luck story?, maybe though a lot of the games lately it's felt like we been really cheated imo .

I think the reaction towards the manager is abit OTT with 3 or 4 threads started about him just like this one with the thread title " season over" . A win on Saturday with Dundee hopefully losing to sevco will see us back in the top 6 plus the fact Killie and St Mirren play one another too , so somebody's going to drop points there or maybe both will .

Season over ? , nah still have a lot to play for yet . Hopefully we will start getting a rub of the green too . I haven't given up on Monty or finishing top 6 yet

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Which is the most frustrating thing. Hibs Board appear incapable of picking a manager, plain and simple. And every time they fail, they cost the club £millions buying in poor players, failing in the league and dropping attendances. Rinse and repeat. How long do the same people do the same things and continue to expect a different outcome ? We can only hope and pray Foley doesn't suffer fools and can help root out the problem, otherwise his few million will be the latest chunk of cash to be pissed on a Leith wall.
    Agreed, where we went for the " cheap" option has cost us millions in league placings, cup runs and possible euro contention.

The next choice is critical and I'm sure the Black Knights will be a big part of that decision making

I think he will be here next season, he's proved recently he can get a tune out of better players. Referees and VAR haven't helped but yes we should be seeing games out.

He won't get sacked just because a few .netters get outraged at losing a late equaliser.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Emiliano was passing the ball to Ross County players all night. Cannae see why we missed that so much. He's also been woeful 3 games on the trot.

It's getting like the posts we used to see about Scott Allan not getting a game in his last season.
    The Scott Allan posts were valid given he was the only midfielder who had consistently created anything whilst playing that season, and the team was failing to score on a weekly basis while he sat on the bench.

A half fit Scott Allan was a far better option than Ewen Henderson or the other donuts Maloney was picking.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    To be fair that team over the course of a few years had a mixture of John Hughes, Pat McGinley, Stevie Crawford, Grant Brebner, John O'Neill, and Gary Smith. Some more exciting than others but all vastly experienced in Scottish Football, with the exception of Brebner perhaps just on age.

I'm not hugely on the "Scots are better" bandwagon but I do think it helps having a couple core lads who 'get' the league a bit to help along the revolving door of players that come over the years. That doesn't mean you need to sign any player who has rogue one off good season. But I refuse to believe there hasn't been better players move between clubs in this division the last 2/3 seasons than what we've probably overpaid for from somewhere else.

The secret is finding the right balance to it all.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Time running out for Monty. Failure to make the top six will see him sacked and rightly so. Until then he remains in post.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I think he will be here next season, he's proved recently he can get a tune out of better players. Referees and VAR haven't helped but yes we should be seeing games out.

He won't get sacked just because a few .netters get outraged at losing a late equaliser.
    Defence has been an issue all season and we’re still conceding the same stupid goals from crosses into the box. If he can’t sort it and get us into 4th/5th he’ll surely be out the door.

Think it’s now between Hibs, Dundee and Motherwell for final top 6 space.

Have a feeling that Motherwell away last game before the split will be a massive game / career defining for Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthven_raiders View Post
    Then next two games are winnable, then post split will be interesting, if we don't win those games then quite rightly the powers that be will be looking at his performance to evaluate if he should be given next season. The post split fixtures would be tough to make any in roads if we don't win those games....
    The next 2 games are Livi and Sevco2012 in Glasgow. Whilst I like your optimism, I would think that's a maximum potential of 3 points.

Which blueprint? The Scottish Cup winning team that couldn't get out the Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berry View Post
    I don't see what the board have been trying to do over the past few years. Looking around at Hearts, Dundee, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, I don't quite understand why, with the resources we have, we've been so (mostly) ***** the past 4 years.
    Simple, those teams have signed players and managers that have proven to be good in Scottish football.

We seem to think we’re above that, oh here’s a manager that’s done well in Australia, here’s a winger that looked alright for a Portuguese B team.

Imo, Scottish football is unique. How many times do you see big name English signings for the OF and they struggle despite how good they were in England?

As much as the new signings have improved us, and I like the look of them, how many Scottish players did we have in the starting 11 last night?

Look at the team that won the Scottish cup,
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Gray
    Fyvie
    Mcginn
    Mcgeough
    Stevenson
    Cummings.

Even our non-Scottish players in Fontaine and Stokes had experience in Scottish football.

Sack everyone.