hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    @hibs.net private member ElginHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go on a run of 12 games without a win and more of us will again be calling for him to be replaced.
    And I think that would be way more understandable after having two transfer windows and a pre-season to get things right.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Far Too Sensible

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Think this is spot on.
    The bit in bold is far too sensible for this forum!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Think this is spot on.
    . As do I.

Looking back have to admit wasn't sure if it was working but onside with Monty now think this season is transitional and we will see benefit next season

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    The bit in bold, I'm not sure what that's based on. Including all games as 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw, Monty has a slightly better points per game record than Johnson had (based on soccerbase stats).

Although we created more chances and perhaps played more attacking football under Johnson, we also had a much leakier defence. His team last season (in the league) was conceding goals at a rate of 1.55 goals per game and scoring at a rate of 1.5 goals per game. The three (league) games at the start of the season he had we were much worse, conceding 8 goals in 3 games to Livi (who have scored less than a goal a game) , St Mirren and Motherwell.

The main difference between us and Hearts is that we've drawn too many games, they've only lost 1 less game than us... Of the 11 games we've drawn we were ahead at some point in 7 of them and 2 goals ahead in two of them. That's been the biggest failing of this team and that, in my opinion, is down to the players mentality the availability of players (injury and international duty), and not helped by the substitutions and tactics of the manager. It's not been a single thing on its own, but all those things have played a part at various points.
    Your last paragraph is spot on. Would include referee decisions also.

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Looking back have to admit wasn't sure if it was working but onside with Monty now think this season is transitional and we will see benefit next season
    Me too. Hopefully keep the momentum going and if we make top 6 can see us finishing 5th though not sure if that sneaks us into Europe through the back door or not?

Finishing in the bottom 6 would be failure - he's had virtually the full season as well, so no excuses. That said, Maloney and Johnson had to go because as well as their failures there were no signs of improvement with them. We have improved since January, with the new players but also the change of shape in midfield and tactically as well. So he is learning and the improvement is there. Do we want to sack him for mistakes made in the past that he's not making now to gamble on someone new, not for me.

I think he is safe either way for next season, top 6 or not. He was lucky to survive after the St Mirren game, if they had pulled the trigger then nobody could have complained. We made the decision to stick with him and from that point, under massive pressure in the following games, he's turned us around. Fair play.

@hibs.net private member ElginHibee's Avatar
    Can't disagree with any of that.

We've improved last few weeks, and if we'd not been totally done by ridiculous decisions we'd probably be sitting 4th. Hibs sitting in 4th and potentially finishing in that position is above average for us historically.

Hearts sitting comfortably in 3rd is magnifying peoples claims to bin him. If they were sitting further down the league it wouldn't be as bad. We often claim Hearts are obsessed with us, so let's not mirror that.

A time will ultimately come when he will likely get sacked, that's just the way of the world for a club at our level.

That time isn't now though so those salivating at the prospect of yet another manager will need to keep their powder dry for the moment and give the guy a bit more time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    We've improved last few weeks, and if we'd not been totally done by ridiculous decisions we'd probably be sitting 4th. Hibs sitting in 4th and potentially finishing in that position is above average for us historically.

Hearts sitting comfortably in 3rd is magnifying peoples claims to bin him. If they were sitting further down the league it wouldn't be as bad. We often claim Hearts are obsessed with us, so let's not mirror that.

A time will ultimately come when he will likely get sacked, that's just the way of the world for a club at our level.

That time isn't now though so those salivating at the prospect of yet another manager will need to keep their powder dry for the moment and give the guy a bit more time.

Salivating? Think that's all in your head. I'm not impressed by NM but if he turned it around and made a success of it here I'd be absolutely delighted. The thought of a new manager does not fill me with joy, I can assure you of that.

You can think NM is not up to it whilst still hoping he somehow actually is, those two positions aren't untenable. It's just the hope part I struggle with. That and the fact I've rarely seen a manager have a prolonged period, where he's been poor, and then become a good manager.

Maybe NM will buck the trend?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

How you gonna cope if the club decide to go a different way in the summer and change manager?

You gonna sulk and be in a huff at the loss of NM, or will you continue to back your club and hope we do well?

I'd prefer a new manager, but I've got nothing against NM and certainly am not salivating for anything or bumping my gums at all.

Comparing how we do as a club to Hearts has always been a thing. I remember it from primary school age. They are our local rivals and it's obvious that we compare ourselves to them.

If NM gets us finishing higher in the league than Hearts, then that will probably mean Europe and a successful season. Let's see if he can deliver that for us next year, if he's still with us.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    The bit in bold, I'm not sure what that's based on. Including all games as 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw, Monty has a slightly better points per game record than Johnson had (based on soccerbase stats).

Although we created more chances and perhaps played more attacking football under Johnson, we also had a much leakier defence. His team last season (in the league) was conceding goals at a rate of 1.55 goals per game and scoring at a rate of 1.5 goals per game. The three (league) games at the start of the season he had we were much worse, conceding 8 goals in 3 games to Livi (who have scored less than a goal a game) , St Mirren and Motherwell.

The main difference between us and Hearts is that we've drawn too many games, they've only lost 1 less game than us... Of the 11 games we've drawn we were ahead at some point in 7 of them and 2 goals ahead in two of them. That's been the biggest failing of this team and that, in my opinion, is down to the players mentality the availability of players (injury and international duty), and not helped by the substitutions and tactics of the manager. It's not been a single thing on its own, but all those things have played a part at various points.

As has been said, the analysis in the last paragraph is very helpful and highly illuminating when considering our plight. Now that we've upped the quality in our playing staff, and the manager is showing more flexibility and real signs of getting to grips with the game here, we should be converting the bulk of those draws into wins.

I'm seeing proper progress both off and now on the park. Getting rid of Montgomery at this point would be foolish.