hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Team Regular
    There's no doubt that too many draws has been an issue all season. But I think another stat is unbeaten in 5 league games - 2 wins and 3 draws - since the narrow defeat to Celtic.

That's far from 'sack the manager' form in my book. Let's see what happens in the last 9 games of the season and where we are after that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You cant be talking like that about Joe Newell, apparently he's our best player.
    He's certainly one of them. 13 goal contributions from midfield is exceptional. He's having a good season.

Funny how that was always something people had against him. Now he does it, and still gets crap.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He's certainly one of them. 13 goal contributions from midfield is exceptional. He's having a good season.

Funny how that was always something people had against him. Now he does it, and still gets crap.
    Credit where it’s due. However those stats can also be a bit skewed as he takes the majority of our set pieces. What’s his open play stats? To be fair I suspect they are probably higher than previous seasons, but open play stats are a fairer way to look at goal contributions IMO.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar

JN is NOT exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Credit where it’s due. However those stats can also be a bit skewed as he takes the majority of our set pieces. What’s his open play stats? To be fair I suspect they are probably higher than previous seasons, but open play stats are a fairer way to look at goal contributions IMO.
    How can that skew it. Id say the opposite. His decent set pieces are proving us another weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    JN is NOT exceptional.
    Okay. Who said he was?

13 goal contributions for a deeper midfield player is exceptional. No doubt about that.

If we didn't have him, and had some combination of JDH, Campbell, Levitt or even Jeggo all season, wed be fighting the drop.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    How can that skew it. Id say the opposite. His decent set pieces are proving us another weapon.
    Because it’s then difficult to compare his goal contributions to others who don’t get to take set pieces. Same with comparing two strikers where one takes penalties and the other doesn’t. Open play is fairer way to compare players, while still being able to say 13 goal contributions from Newell is good.

Okay. Who said he was?

13 goal contributions for a deeper midfield player is exceptional. No doubt about that.

If we didn't have him, and had some combination of JDH, Campbell, Levitt or even Jeggo all season, wed be fighting the drop.
    Campbell has contributed quite a bit for us with his workrate and goals that at times have proved to be important in gaining us points . Wish we had him available at Ross county as he would have been a good option to have that would given the midfield a bit more bite and another goal threat if needed.

While Newell has been our best midfielder he has been inconsistent this season imo and him and Levitt don't work well together either . Newell like Levitt are luxury players who need a player like Moriah Welsh playing with them . There's been two many games this season were Newell & Levitt partnership have been dominated.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Campbell has contributed quite a bit for us with his workrate and goals that at times have proved to be important in gaining us points . Wish we had him available at Ross county as he would have been a good option to have that would given the midfield a bit more bite and another goal threat if needed.

While Newell has been our best midfielder he has been inconsistent this season imo and him and Levitt don't work well together either . Newell like Levitt are luxury players who need a player like Moriah Welsh playing with them . There's been two many games this season were Newell & Levitt partnership have been dominated.
    There is nothing ''luxury'' about Joe Newell. He works as hard, wins it back as much, and defends as much as any midfielder we've got. Ellie Youan is a luxury.

I don't get this idea hes been inconsistent. He really hasn't. Hes been one of our better players every single game this season.

There is nothing ''luxury'' about Joe Newell. He works as hard, wins it back as much, and defends as much as any midfielder we've got. Ellie Youan is a luxury.

I don't get this idea hes been inconsistent. He really hasn't. Hes been one of our better players every single game this season.
    There's been a lot of games this season were our midfield has been dominated or drifts out of games , Kilmarnock 2-2, hertz 2- 2 , St mirren 2-2 , 3-0 loss St Mirren and even Wednesday night at Ross county after we went 2-1 up . Most of these games has involved Newell playing with Jeggo or Levitt which has left our midfield soft .

Fine player Newell though without the right player in midfield with him he's been quiet and ineffective in quite a few this season imo . Think Moriah Welsh could be the ideal partner in midfield for Joe though.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

I agree, he's not inconsistant, he's very consistantly average with the odd excellant game thrown in.

Coaching Staff
    I agree, he's not inconsistant, he's very consistantly average with the odd excellant game thrown in.
    Tbf I think most footballers in our division probably fit that description.

@hibs.net private member
    Agree, probably a level above what we had at the time but that consistency needs to be weekly, Welsh has proven in his short time what consistency means at this level, or to the level we aspire to

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Agree, probably a level above what we had at the time but that consistency needs to be weekly, Welsh has proven in his short time what consistency means at this level, or to the level we aspire to
    Yes, Welsh has shown consistency in the 517 minutes he has played

Come on. He was hooked after a poor 45 against Ross county at home and Levitt came on and totally changed things.

He's consistEntly good with the odd excellEnt game thrown in, imo.

Frightening how much more stick he gets than say, Boyle, who he's been much better and more consistent than this season.

Joe has as many goal contributions as Boyle does this season.

9 goals, 4 assists for Boyle
    4 goals, 9 assists for Newell.

Are they both the problem?

@hibs.net private member

Come on. He was hooked after a poor 45 against Ross county at home and Levitt came on and totally changed things.
    Any need for the patronising emoji, are you ****ing 10 year old ?

My opinion is Welsh is levels above Newel and in his short time has shown that. I like Newell but I think we get too many average games from him, he can and has shown he can step up but he doesnt do it often enough

See, I typed that without any ****ing childish emojis

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's consistEntly good with the odd excellEnt game thrown in, imo.

Frightening how much more stick he gets than say, Boyle, who he's been much better and more consistent than this season.

Joe has as many goal contributions as Boyle does this season.

9 goals, 4 assists for Boyle
    4 goals, 9 assists for Newell.

Are they both the problem?
    Well done picking up the spelling mistakes.

I'm hurt.

Welsh was playing with a injury though and is exactly the type of midfielder we have been needing for a long time now and we really missed him against Ross county too . At the minute with what we have for next season in midfield Welsh will be our most important midfielder imo .

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    If there were ever any more proof needed some folk just can't take to Newell, his biggest criticisms have been that he's not consistent and doesn't score or assist enough.

Won POTY, and has double figure goals involvements in a season the manager has been slated for playing him too deep at times.

He can't win. Folk want goals and assists, so he adds that, then it's 'aye but he takes set pieces'.

It says a lot that pretty much every pundit who can't seem to stand us thinks he's our best player,former players/current interviews I've seen from other teams he's often singled out as our best player, a good few opposition players said such on Open goal at least.
    The video last year from the players talking about who they looked up to the most, Newell was one of if not the most mentioned players.

Sure he won Player POTY also.

3 managers have had him regularly step in as captain, with there being a very high chance he's promoted to club captain next season, every manager he's been with at Hibs besides Hecky(who he didn't have much time under) has had him as first name on the teamsheet.

He's a good player, often very good at this level. The last 2 years in particular he's been very consistent, and put in some huge perfomances in big games, even though some also claim he doesn't do it in those games.

@hibs.net private member Bad Habits's Avatar
    Joe Newell would comfortably start into any other midfield in Scotland outside the old firm. Who else in the SPFL barring the obvious teams would someone want to swap him with? Joel Grant? Graham Shinnie?

By that factor alone he is good enough for Hibs. He may not be perfect, but he can 100% be a part of a successful Hibs team. He is also the least of the problems within the balance of the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Any need for the patronising emoji, are you ****ing 10 year old ?

My opinion is Welsh is levels above Newel and in his short time has shown that. I like Newell but I think we get too many average games from him, he can and has shown he can step up but he doesnt do it often enough

See, I typed that without any ****ing childish emojis
    Sorry but it's hilarious you think a player has shown how consistent he's been over 500 minutes.

He looks a decent player. He's certainly not levels above Newell.

Okay. Who said he was?

I think NMW has really shown up Levitt & Newell since he came in, fwiw.

I agree JN has lots to offer - but if we want to progress then he has to realise, he had the ball, at his feet, 2-1 up, going into the final minute.

If you hold it, draw a foul, or keep the ball, Hibs win 2-1

If you give it away, cheaply, you're risking bottom 6 football. You've got the armband, this is a captain moment.

Ball got turned over cheaply, ends 2-2

Good player, yes.

But got to face the music here

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    I think NMW has really shown up Levitt & Newell since he came in, fwiw.

I agree JN has lots to offer - but if we want to progress then he has to realise, he had the ball, at his feet, 2-1 up, going into the final minute.

If you hold it, draw a foul, or keep the ball, Hibs win 2-1

If you give it away, cheaply, you're risking bottom 6 football. You've got the armband, this is a captain moment.

Ball got turned over cheaply, ends 2-2

Good player, yes.

But got to face the music here
    NMW on the bench today while Newell was MOTM.

I think NWM is a player, but to say he has shown up Newell is utter crap.

NMW showed he isn’t a full back.

@hibs.net private member
    NMW on the bench today while Newell was MOTM.

I think NWM is a player, but to say he has shown up Newell is utter crap.
    The arrival of NMW, Myziane and Emiliano have lifted Newell’s performances much like everybody else in the team.

Newell was everywhere today, especially first half.