hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bbc

The best oppertunity yet for all Scottish clubs to join and help stop sectarianism in Scottish football.
    Dont stay silent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The best oppertunity yet for all Scottish clubs to join and help stop sectarianism in Scottish football.
    Dont stay silent.
    Have any other clubs came out in support of our statement? I think that might tell it’s own story. We’re in this alone at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland

looks like over night, the BBC have decided we are really cutting the uglies allocation “due to flare use”! Unbelievable!!

The fight back has begun on behalf of the bigots.

The establishment are not going to go down without a fight, hold on tight everyone, this is going to get UGLY !!
    Last edited by Albert Kidd 86’; 13-03-2024 at 05:35 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Just read this from Chris McLaughlin.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-68549775
    Good article wonder why he didn't mention that on the news. Imo not a coincidence. He can say he covers it in the article but not when much more people watching. Possibly unfair

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Made sure it got a mention online at least:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian
    Excellent article well done. Agree with every word.

Well done Matty for putting your head above the parapet and calling it out

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Good article wonder why he didn't mention that on the news. Imo not a coincidence. He can say he covers it in the article but not when much more people watching. Possibly unfair
    He won't be in charge of what he says on TV.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kato; 13-03-2024 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    He won't be in charge of what he says on TV.

Assuming in not on.

Probably not.

Assuming in not on.

Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Decent article by CM, goes a bit heavy on the missile throwing IMO but we’ve left ourselves open to that after the derby. Mentions sectarianism several times.
    A more balanced view but even then he feels the need to caveat it by talking about songs that many thought were confined to the 70s and 80s which we all know is absolute nonsense as these songs have never gone away.

McLaughlin will be aware that the BBC have only just been allowed back into Ibrox a couple of seasons ago and will no doubt have been given strict editorial guidelines around any comments he makes about The Rangers. From a personal career point of view he will also be fully aware of what happened to BBC pundits like Graham Spiers, Jim Spence and Michael Stewart when they spoke out against bigotry. Stewart was eventually let back into the BBC fold and it'll be interesting what he says about Hibs stance.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Kidd 86’ View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland

looks like over night, the BBC have decided we are really cutting the uglies allocation “due to flare use”! Unbelievable!!

The fight back has begun on behalf of the bigots.

The establishment are not going to go down without a fight, hold on tight everyone, this is going to get UGLY !!
    Only judging by the picture but pictures don’t come with sound in written articles. The article itself is very balanced and makes it clear we are taking about sectarian abuse and behaviours here. I have to take back my criticism of McLaughlin from yesterday. He has covered this well here and is also implying that other clubs need to get behind Hibs in this one. Good article in my view.

Excellent article well done. Agree with every word.
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Only judging by the picture but pictures don’t come with sound in written articles. The article itself is very balanced and makes it clear we are taking about sectarian abuse and behaviours here. I have to take back my criticism of McLaughlin from yesterday. He has covered this well here and is also implying that other clubs need to get behind Hibs in this one. Good article in my view.

i agree it is a reasonable article, but the bullet points at the start of the article under the headline NOW clearly state :

”Hibs may cut old firm allocation over flare use”

A later addition to the otherwise good article. Why did they feel the need to put that?
    Last edited by Albert Kidd 86’; 13-03-2024 at 06:43 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Maybe they’ve changed it but the article looks pretty balanced to me and emphasises the sectarian issue a number of times. The headline/sub headers will be written and changed by the editorial team not the journalists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68549775

The key thing now is what other non-OF clubs do …

Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    That gives me hope, our amazing fans who have forced our club's hand makes me proud. I still hold out hope that most fans of the vast majority of clubs share our mindset on the despicable sectarian disease and want it stopped. This could be the start of something big, I really hope it is.
    The enablers that run the SFA and SPFL think that providing a haven for hate fuels our game, no......it fuels two sick clubs and turns the stomach of the rest. Strict liability could very well be the medicine the so called 'peripheral' clubs need to start getting their own fans coming back.

You would hope other fans / clubs would get behind it but I very much doubt it. A Quick Look at Kickback and the general response is non plussed, a rather suspicious consensus that Celtic fans are worse than Rangers fans. And we’re just as bad as the pair of them.

The Aberdeen board can’t even make a decision on what to have for dinner.

The Killie boys…

we’re gonna take all the flak and it will be business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    You would hope other fans / clubs would get behind it but I very much doubt it. A Quick Look at Kickback and the general response is non plussed, a rather suspicious consensus that Celtic fans are worse than Rangers fans. And we’re just as bad as the pair of them.

The Aberdeen board can’t even make a decision on what to have for dinner.

The Killie boys…

we’re gonna take all the flak and it will be business as usual.
    It’s strange how many fans of “other” clubs (ie not Rangers Celtic or Hearts) I’ve seen pointing the finger back at us for how our fans have been behaving recently to be honest. Not defending it but a few bams throwing **** on the pitch is hardly comparable to decades upon decades of sectarian chanting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_Latapy View Post
    Maybe they’ve changed it but the article looks pretty balanced to me and emphasises the sectarian issue a number of times. The headline/sub headers will be written and changed by the editorial team not the journalists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68549775

The key thing now is what other non-OF clubs do …
    The issue was never the article which appeared after he was on Reporting Scotland, it was was his complete and utter failure to mention the word sectarianism when he was on tele, he seemed to focus mainly on pyros which missed the point - deliberately
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    The issue was never the article which appeared after he was on Reporting Scotland, it was was his complete and utter failure to mention the word sectarianism when he was on tele, he seemed to focus mainly on pyros which missed the point - deliberately
    Probably not his fault as others have said.
    The news is usually read from a script.

If it’s read solely off a script why get him to read it out and not the reporter who does the rest of the news

Immaterial anyway the issue is the BBC completely swerving any discussion of anything deemed sectarian on their main news show
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

If it’s read solely off a script why get him to read it out and not the reporter who does the rest of the news

Immaterial anyway the issue is the BBC completely swerving any discussion of anything deemed sectarian on their main news show
    Absolutely

Not sure about that, I think these guys have a measure of editorial control to frame a story the way they see fit, It was bizarre how (in my opinion) he chose to do it, but as others subsequently pointed out, he has been on the sharp end of some blowback in the past. This AND the overall BBC's reluctance to tackle the Hun full on behind this

Completely agree

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A

It’s also noticeable that the ‘have your say’ feature wasn’t active, what are they afraid of? I think we know the answer to that.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    What we really need is an independent journalist or a high profile member of the footballing fraternity to highlight the BBC’s behaviour over this.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    What we really need is an independent journalist or a high profile member of the footballing fraternity to highlight the BBC’s behaviour over this.
    I give you; Pat Nevin. Hibs fan. History of speaking out against sectarianism (started supporting us after he became sick of sectarian chanting from Celtic, his fathers club). Very visible at the BBC (did the Five Live radio commentary with John Murray of Liverpool Man City at the weekend). Intelligent and eloquent. kudos as an ex-player. Probably doesnt want the hassle, theres about 1690 reasons not to, but you never know, his emails address is easily accessible...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    It mightn’t be the biggest shock if Alex Thomson’s ears pricked up, should this story gain any further traction over the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It mightn’t be the biggest shock if Alex Thomson’s ears pricked up, should this story gain any further traction over the coming weeks.
    Who’s he?

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    I pay it because across the board, when you lift your head away from local politics etc, it's still the best broadcaster in the world. Other countries would love to have something as intelligent as the BBC as their main state broadcaster. yes it has problems, plenty, but it still gives amazing value for money for those of us interested in the world at large, and it's fantastic nature programs, which really are the best in the world.
    I should hope they make some good nature programmes, considering the amount of money they extort out of people with threat of prosecution. Even the old age pensioners aren't safe.

If the BBC is so great, let people opt out and lets see how many continue to pay for it! State media isn't for me.

Who’s he?
    Channel 4 journalist. English chap, picked upon the whole Rangers ceasing to exist story and was prepared to go where Scottish journalists wouldn’t / couldn’t.

@hibs.net private member
    It may be worthwhile trying to get onto the various football phone-ins and specifically mention sectarianism. May not get onto BBC Scotland but Robbie Savage/Chris Sutton's phone in on Five Live may be worth a shout. Mind you, as an ex Celtc player, Sutton may ignore it

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Channel 4 journalist. English chap, picked upon the whole Rangers ceasing to exist story and was prepared to go where Scottish journalists wouldn’t / couldn’t.
    Alex Thomson.

Also on the receiving end of threats from members of Scottish media.

David Leggat (ex Daily Record) springs to mind.