hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bbc

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chris McLaughlin made comment of sectarian chanting by Rangers fans in his report of a game at Easter Road in 2015, which was met by such fury within Ibrox his media facilities at both Ibrox and Murray Park were withdrawn.

The BBC then opted to stand in solidarity with McLaughlin by refusing to send any BBC reporters to Ibrox, and the dispute raged on for seven years before it was eventually resolved when Rangers lifted the reporting restrictions on McLaughlin.

The BBC are obviously tip-toeing round using certain phrases in case they reopen an old dispute, and could explain why they’re choosing their words carefully at this time.

It really is a ridiculous state of affairs.
    Spot on with this analysis, McLaughlin, on reflection, looked pretty uncomfortable, quite unlike his usual demeanour
    Last edited by raeburnhibs; 12-03-2024 at 07:34 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Watched the Hearts game and the commentator apologised if anyone was offended by the Shankland W####r song that was picked up loud and clear. I have never heard them apologise for bigoted songs picked up loud and clear with all the swear words included.

We're taking on more than Rangers here.

Sectarianism is deep rooted in the Scottish establishment, and there's more than Rangers determined to undermine us.

The BBC has already shown which side of the argument they've taken.

Hibs need to be prepared for the fight and the long game.

We can't back down now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Watched the Hearts game and the commentator apologised if anyone was offended by the Shankland W####r song that was picked up loud and clear. I have never heard them apologise for bigoted songs picked up loud and clear with all the swear words included.
    Said that to my wife last night.

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Said that to my wife last night.
    You told your wife that Shankland is a w****r?

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    They are as complicit as those that sing. Failure to report or even upset those in the west have been plain and clear for years.

As others have mentioned we are acting and if they don’t like it, doesn’t to report it correctly then it’s clear who they pander too!

If this type of singing is not condoned by those at BBC Scotland (I include Sportsound and Sportscene) then we know.

We do however know that they will turn this on the club even more.
    Thoughts, why are Sky Sport allowed to promote sectarian singing every week on their platform, should they not be warning viewers that at times they may hear offensive singing during these games, rather than commentators saying the fans are bringing a great atmosphere to the game, Sky themselves know about the singing hence the volume being turned down at times when certain songs are being belted out but most of the time we just get it non stop.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
    You told your wife that Shankland is a w****r?
    Haven't we all? Lads? Lads..
    ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Thoughts, why are Sky Sport allowed to promote sectarian singing every week on their platform, should they not be warning viewers that at times they may hear offensive singing during these games, rather than commentators saying the fans are bringing a great atmosphere to the game, Sky themselves know about the singing hence the volume being turned down at times when certain songs are being belted out but most of the time we just get it non stop.
    I would LOVE to watch an old firm derby where neither support sang about religion or bigotry. Wall to wall sweetie wrapper rustling. They'd get a fortune off Werthers to sponsor it.

And that's the nub of it. Without the bigotry they're just two big clubs in a fishpond. Nothing remotely special.

I think you in particular Silver have mentioned the volume/mikes being turned down when certain songs are being sung!

Yeah they know but again who is watching?? I might suggest that your average viewer down south will not have a clue what they are singing (some with allegiances might) about so they won’t know. Most will be of a certain persuasion so will be more than happy and will probably belt it out in their living room or boozer. Do they care as long as they have subscribers…… I would say no. So Sky should be mentioning this during the commentary but choose not to.

Sky only apologise when they pick up the punters swearing next to the commentary position, never heard them mention anything when the sectarian chants are in full flow.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Don Cowie I think. In charge of County at the moment.
    What happened to Duncan Ferguson?

Ignore me i'm a tit, i could have sworn he was Ross County manager, but it's ICT.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He manages ICT

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    He got the jail.

He's Inverness

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...illed-29168546
    Do you think any ICT players give him any lip.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Ignore me i'm a tit, i could have sworn he was Ross County manager, but it's ICT.
    Tbf I made the exact same mistake the other week when we played them. Was telling my pal how it will be a laugh to see big Dunc in the dugout, until it was pointed out I was talking pish!

And to think there are some people who pay the license fee.

Billy Boys Club

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Made sure it got a mention online at least:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    And to think there are some people who pay the license fee.
    I pay it because across the board, when you lift your head away from local politics etc, it's still the best broadcaster in the world. Other countries would love to have something as intelligent as the BBC as their main state broadcaster. yes it has problems, plenty, but it still gives amazing value for money for those of us interested in the world at large, and it's fantastic nature programs, which really are the best in the world.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Chris McLaughlin made comment of sectarian chanting by Rangers fans in his report of a game at Easter Road in 2015, which was met by such fury within Ibrox his media facilities at both Ibrox and Murray Park were withdrawn.

The BBC then opted to stand in solidarity with McLaughlin by refusing to send any BBC reporters to Ibrox, and the dispute raged on for seven years before it was eventually resolved when Rangers lifted the reporting restrictions on McLaughlin.

The BBC are obviously tip-toeing round using certain phrases in case they reopen an old dispute, and could explain why they’re choosing their words carefully at this time.

Sounds like an effective strategy. Maybe we should try it?

Coaching Staff
    Richard Gordon should be banned - far too many incidents of snide unnecessary comments about our players (Marcondes, Boyle, Malonga, GOC etc).

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Richard Gordon should be banned - far too many incidents of snide unnecessary comments about our players (Marcondes, Boyle, Malonga, GOC etc).
    Doidge also. Very weird

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James70 View Post
    So if the singing was anti semitic, anti Muslim, anti black or anti LGBTQ could you imagine the uproar but sectarian, well that's just normal in Scotland, nothing to get excited about. The cancer Scottish football has to live with.
    It’s like the 2nd world war where the US was fighting for freedom and to save the Jews who were getting slaughtered but they treated black people in their forces as low life .

It’s the same here with the SFA, SPFL and the BBC et al, happy to be abhorred by anything said against black people, gay people, Muslims but hey anything against catholics (in Rangers case) and Protestants (in Celtic’s case) is a case of “move on - nothing to see here”

Only in Scotland- pathetic isn’t just the start of it🤬

Just read this from Chris McLaughlin.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-68549775

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Good article, actually

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    That's a more balanced article than their earlier report - hope he's got his tin hat on....

Decent article by CM, goes a bit heavy on the missile throwing IMO but we’ve left ourselves open to that after the derby. Mentions sectarianism several times.

That gives me hope, our amazing fans who have forced our club's hand makes me proud. I still hold out hope that most fans of the vast majority of clubs share our mindset on the despicable sectarian disease and want it stopped. This could be the start of something big, I really hope it is.
    The enablers that run the SFA and SPFL think that providing a haven for hate fuels our game, no......it fuels two sick clubs and turns the stomach of the rest. Strict liability could very well be the medicine the so called 'peripheral' clubs need to start getting their own fans coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Good article, actually
    Yep.

That's well written and balanced unlike some of the knee jerk slavers on this thread