hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Marshall

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

David Marshall

The more I think about it, the more open I’d be to him being a one year extension. No doubt he was abysmal under LJ but I don’t blame him for that as much in hindsight

His experience is very useful and he still offers a lot.

I wanted him to retire this time last year, but IMO he’s earned it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The more I think about it, the more open I’d be to him being a one year extension. No doubt he was abysmal under LJ but I don’t blame him for that as much in hindsight

He has bounced back remarkably well from a few months ago but why not go for somebody younger and better?

Do we just keep going until age completely catches up with him? My worry is that he's had to go off mid or pre game several times this season with minor issues.

I was his harshest critic last season (and the very start of this) but credit where its due, since Montgomery came in, I think he has been fantastic and would be in my running for player of the year. I'm not saying he would or should win it only he is amongst our most consistent performers and has been very good imo for quite some time.

How much of last season was down to a lack of confidence, a lack of protection from a very poor defence or not getting along with LJ, who knows.

I wouldn't be against offering him another year.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    He has bounced back remarkably well from a few months ago but why not go for somebody younger and better?

Do we just keep going until age completely catches up with him? My worry is that he's had to go off mid or pre game several times this season with minor issues.
    I mean we basically did go for someone younger and who we thought was better in Wollacott last summer. Recall we even spent a fee on him. The worry you have when replacing a competent goalie is if you **** up on recruitment it’s gonna cost you dearly when it comes to games won and lost.

FWIW probably haven’t seen enough of Wollacott to fully judge, but he had a bit of stinker against Ross County and clearly Monty doesn’t think he’s better a option than Marsh despite his age.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMan10 View Post
    I mean we basically did go for someone younger and who we thought was better in Wollacott last summer. Recall we even spent a fee on him. The worry you have when replacing a competent goalie is if you **** up on recruitment it’s gonna cost you dearly when it comes to games won and lost.

FWIW probably haven’t seen enough of Wollacott to fully judge, but he had a bit of stinker against Ross County and clearly Monty doesn’t think he’s better a option than Marsh despite his age.
    I think we seen more than enough of Wollacott against Ross County, he was absolutely horrendous. Hopefully be able to move him on or release him in the summer.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I thought he was very good last night and certainly didn't deserve to lose two goals.

That being said, I believe we can do better, and it's crucial that we do.

Marsh was good last night. I don't think Wollacott should be his successor.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Marshall has been good now for most of the season, I’d keep him based on what our current other options are he’s very far ahead.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post

How many games has he had to go off?

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

He's had a good season and played well last night.

I'd like him to stay on.

As a goalkeeper, he might yet have another 5 years in him, can't be writing folk off based on a number rather than evidence of a decline in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He's had a good season and played well last night.

I'd like him to stay on.

As a goalkeeper, he might yet have another 5 years in him, can't be writing folk off based on a number rather than evidence of a decline in performance.

Craig Gordon is a fantastic goalie, and is two years older than Marshall. I think he's a good example of how GKs can continue playing at a decent level much longer than outfield players.

I think that the work he’s had to do to play the system Montgomery wants has sharpened up the rest of his game.Should get another year.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I think that the work he’s had to do to play the system Montgomery wants has sharpened up the rest of his game.Should get another year.
    I'd put it down to a change of goalkeeping coach but that's a really good point.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    How many games has he had to go off?
    Livingston home
    Hearts away
    Aberdeen away

and think he pulled out of the Inter Club game pre match warm up.

Thought he was excellent last night. Would be fine with him remaining as our first-choice keeper.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Would prefer someone who saves more shots. Hearts, St Mirren and Kilmarnock all have more proficient shop stoppers than us and all concede significantly less goals. Maybe a coincidence but the end of our excellent defensive record coincided with the signing of Marshall.

@hibs.net private member
    I think he has been one of our best players since Montgomery came in. Very few errors and plenty saves. I'd like to see his stats under the last two managers as anecdotally he is a very different shot stopper. I'd have no issue as him being given another year but I would probably cut our losses with Wollocot and try and get someone whop would compete for the gloves like Clarke and Gordon. Same idea why having Stevenson as a squad player makes a lot of sense

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Would prefer someone who saves more shots. Hearts, St Mirren and Kilmarnock all have more proficient shop stoppers than us and all concede significantly less goals. Maybe a coincidence but the end of our excellent defensive record coincided with the signing of Marshall.
    Don’t know if the stats bear it out but since Montgomery came in, subjectively I can’t think of many shots where I’ve questioned whether he might have got to a particular shot. Previously it seemed to be a weekly occurrence.

The whole defensive unit has looked better and we’ve been conceding less goals since the midfield was adequately improved and the shape tweaked.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    A poor first half to the season however he's been excellent the last couple of months. 100% give him a new deal. If we can get better then great, we'll have 2 good keepers.....like Hearts do.

I can't think of another keeper I'd rather have. Can anyone else?

Left by mutual consent!
    Definitely offer him another year, but as back up to a better keeper. That would be it as far as I'm concerned. He's going to get another year older, and goalies reflexes deteriorate exactly the same as any other persons.

He's really come onto a game in the last couple of months, but would like to see a keeper that can bring the ball out from the back and pass it out comfortably. I don't care if the guys 17 or 37, but our next keeper has to be good with the ball at his feet, it makes so much difference to how we can effectively play the NM system. Assuming NM is still here next year.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Definitely offer him another year, but as back up to a better keeper. That would be it as far as I'm concerned. He's going to get another year older, and goalies reflexes deteriorate exactly the same as any other persons.

He's really come onto a game in the last couple of months, but would like to see a keeper that can bring the ball out from the back and pass it out comfortably. I don't care if the guys 17 or 37, but our next keeper has to be good with the ball at his feet, it makes so much difference to how we can effectively play the NM system. Assuming NM is still here next year.
    I'd say that Marshall is generally pretty comfortable with the ball at his feet. Yes, he's made one or two mistakes over his time with us but I don't think this is an aspect of his game that concerns me.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We have to give him a new deal. He’s been excellent for the last few months

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'd say that Marshall is generally pretty comfortable with the ball at his feet. Yes, he's made one or two mistakes over his time with us but I don't think this is an aspect of his game that concerns me.
    He's not the worst, but he does look pretty nervy at times. I'm not in any way slating the guy, he's done a very decent job overall. But he ain't getting any younger. Time for fresh blood.

No thanks. Can do better.

He's playing very well lately.

I suppose it just shows how important confidence is to a keeper. His was clearly at rock bottom and he was making the kind of silly decisions nervy keepers make. Now he has his head sorted he is making better decisions and his all round game is much improved.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Shouldn’t get anywhere near a new contract.

Brutal

Too many basic errors😢

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    No chance he is our first choice next season.