hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: How many big calls were correct?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero

32 40.00%
  • One

28 35.00%
  • Two

11 13.75%
  • All three

9 11.25%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m pretty sure Boyle got booked for diving v Celtic recently when he went down in the box under a very similar challenge.
    That, along with the Aberdeen handball, are the 2 really grim calls that haven't gone our way in the last couple of months.

2. Log in to remove the advert

None were correct for me though can live with the penalty, very soft but clumsy and gives ref option.
    2nd yellow (he was going at some point) ref doesn't see, doesn't give but on review - not by VAR but by Tavanier and Goldson - is a free kick and booking.
    Moriah-Welsh, rash to go in like that but was yellow

If the one on the Hun was a penalty then the one on Marcondes was.

There was the same level of contact in both.

I'd say it's hard to argue that the referee didn't have reasonable cause to act as he did with all three decisions. Definite penalty, Obita brought his red on himself (but should have been subbed before it got to that stage) and the second red, well, in today's game you're always likely to be sent off for that even if we don't agree with it.

The problem, as others have pointed out, is the inconsistency when it comes to incidents involving Rangers players which went unheeded.

Overall, I thought we competed well and were very much in the game until the first red. Simply beaten by a stronger side who are in the driving seat for the treble. No shame in that.

Oh, and the crowd looked pretty good despite all the anguish about ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    That, along with the Aberdeen handball, are the 2 really grim calls that haven't gone our way in the last couple of months.
    You think the hearts penalty was correct?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    You think the hearts penalty was correct?
    Very, very soft but had 0 expectations that he was going to reverse his decision when he was called over to have a 2nd look.

Very, very soft but had 0 expectations that he was going to reverse his decision when he was called over to have a 2nd look.
    You are having a laugh. It was a shocker of a decision to give it and an even worse decision to stick by it. It's 1,000,000% up there with the other 2 you mention as bad decisions.

You can add the decision not to send of Kent for his blatant handball in the previous derby as well. Clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    A penalty and two red cards. For me, the penalty was correct. It was clumsy; I would want that given our way. I think both reds were wrong. The first looked accidental and lacked any force; the second was a strong tackle, but he wasn’t out of control or two-footed. Just very poor from the official.
    Read this incorrectly and voted all three thinking ,I had voted all three wrong,doh !

I would have wanted the penalty and would have wanted Lundstram sent off, if he had made the tackle NMW made.

Obita's first yellow was a stick on and he had clearly lost the plot. Whether he deserved a 2nd yellow though, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    I would have wanted the penalty and would have wanted Lundstram sent off, if he had made the tackle NMW made.

Obita's first yellow was a stick on and he had clearly lost the plot. Whether he deserved a 2nd yellow though, I'm not sure.
    That’s the way I see it as well.

In isolation, I don’t think the decisions were shockers. It’s knowing the outcomes wouldn’t be the same if roles were reversed.

On the Moriah-Welsh one, I’m not buying Montgomery’s comments that he was going in to block the ball. He was going in to do Lundstram and missed. Whether you actually make proper contact these days seems to be a bit of an irrelevance. Again, whether the decisions would have been the same the other way round is doubtful, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Zero out of three correct

Boyle is fouled in midfield in the run up to the penalty. A soft foul and as usual Boyle goes down easily but its a foul, So it shouldn't be a penalty for that reason. Obita never a second yellow - ref didn't even see it - he reacted to Goldson demanding a yellow. Moriah Welsh - Not a red card. All three Viaplay pundits ( Lennon, Bartley & even Hutton) said it was a yellow at most and Ref should have been called to the screen.

Steven McLean is a ***in awful ref - he proved that last season when he sent off Youan at Celtic Park when Youan weas actually fouled.
    When you have Mikey Stewart, co-commentating, who is no fan of Hibs at all - querying each decision, you know something is badly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Moriah-Welsh red card was the closest to being correct, it was a bit wild.

The rest were absolute nonsense but decisions I could accept if we hadn’t had identical decisions go against us in recent weeks.
    Is it excessive force?

Is he out control?

Is he endangering an opponent?

Not for me.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    You are having a laugh. It was a shocker of a decision to give it and an even worse decision to stick by it. It's 1,000,000% up there with the other 2 you mention as bad decisions.

You can add the decision not to send of Kent for his blatant handball in the previous derby as well. Clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    Is it excessive force?

Is he out control?

Is he endangering an opponent?

Not for me.
    I thought it was the wrong decision, but you’re probably closer to being able to answer “yes” to these questions than fulfilling the criteria for the other decisions.

First Team Breakthrough
    After the media fuss and Clemente’s endless bleating about the Motherwell player’s tackle on McCausland last week it was inevitable that any robust tackle on a Sevco player would be met with a red card. Mariah Welsh was the fall guy.

It’s been mentioned elsewhere on here but the lack of comment in the media relating to the assault on Marcondes in the penalty area is surprising. Or perhaps not.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    After the media fuss and Clemente’s endless bleating about the Motherwell player’s tackle on McCausland last week it was inevitable that any robust tackle on a Sevco player would be met with a red card. Mariah Welsh was the fall guy.

It’s been mentioned elsewhere on here but the lack of comment in the media relating to the assault on Marcondes in the penalty area is surprising. Or perhaps not.
    Just said similar on another thread re McAusland incident v well and Clement calling that out.which is all the more ridiculous as it wasnt even a foul!

I'm not having NMW as a red as just because you look out of control, doesn't mean you are. He's gone in very fast and aggressively - which ultimately he didn't need to do so there is fault there - but he's done a good job ensuring he didn't make contact with him feet. His left legs miles away for instance, so it's hardly a two footed lunge.

I don't think you're endangering an opponent by ultimately hitting their foot with your lower back, or whatever it was.

Listening to the radio again, they were pretty universal in deciding the Boyle push pre- penalty isn't a foul. Without anything further to go on, we probably seem less hard done by than I thought in those 60 seconds.

The interesting one to me is Marcondes. I don't think think that original fall is a penalty, but the ball's still in play when Goldson grabs him and launches him up and down again. Might be an unconventional one, but he's pretty much fouled him there hasn't he?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    So many incidents that stank last night.

If their penalty was a penalty then so was the incident up the other end involving Marcondes.

The straight red was a yellow at best.

Boyle got taken out midriff by Souter and regardless if it was intentional or not it was a foul and at least a yellow.

Silva should have been booked for leaving the field after his goal.

The police should be looking at betting on Obita getting a red card.

Lots of minor incidents too which all culminated in our players backing out of 50/50 in the later part of the game.

After the 2nd sending off, the remaining 9 players have to be given a lot of credit keeping the score down to 2.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Hearts pen also

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    In isolation you could make a case for all 3 decisions being correct.

The problem is of course, and as others have pointed out, we'd be doing well if got 1 of those 3 decisions if the incidents happened in the other direction.

Refs in Scotland are a mixture of biased, incompetent and spineless. Week after week the decisions are getting worse, party because we've now doubled the amount of biased, incompetent and spineless individuals officiating the game through VAR.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I thought it was the wrong decision, but you’re probably closer to being able to answer “yes” to these questions than fulfilling the criteria for the other decisions.
    Like the Porteous red at Ibrox. You can't endanger an opponent if you miss him. Albeit this time NMW did make contact it was with his back and there was no danger at that point. Meanwhile Lundstrum can go in harder and make contact high on Josh Doig and it isn't even a foul. I think most are saying don't look at the call look at the comparisons and that is exactly what the club should be doing. We should have countless examples of how we are treated differently for big calls

Is there any footage of our player (think it was Fish) getting kicked around the stomach area in the box first half? It barely seems to have had a mention so not sure if it’s one of them where I saw something that didn’t actually happen but looked a pen all day to me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Is there any footage of our player (think it was Fish) getting kicked around the stomach area in the box first half? It barely seems to have had a mention so not sure if it’s one of them where I saw something that didn’t actually happen but looked a pen all day to me.
    I saw a still and it was far nearer forehead than stomach. Was there a hint of a handball before that too

First Team Breakthrough
    Penalty harsh but by the letter of the law then yes Obita second yellow very soft Moriah Welsh yellow would have sufficed

As others have said, each of the decisions is debatable, but the actual problem is that similar/identical incidents are treated differently for each side.

Rangers player falls over in box, after slightest touch = penalty to Rangers
    Hibs player falls over after identical amount of contact = no foul.

Hibs player makes what the referee deems a dangerous challenge = Red Card
    Ranger player makes almost identical challenge = Not even a foul, never mind a card.

Add that to the dubious offsides given by the linesman and it's no wonder people are raging.