hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogga View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that refs are corrupt, however I do believe they are scared of the Old Firm. Put it this way, they make a dodgy decision against any other team and they can pretty much avoid that town/city for a while till it calms down. Make a decision against one of them and there's no escape as their fans are everywhere in huge numbers. They're both so f*ing intense as well it'll be threats, home addresses posted, etc.

Also, Steven McLean has a twin brother who I bet loves his brother's career choice.

Sent from my SM-A336B using Tapatalk
    "Scared", so corrupt then.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    No really sure what happened with the Obita one and not seen it back. I do know McLean didn’t see it and wasn’t giving a foul then reacted to them getting all upset.

Moriah-Welsh I thought was stupid. He lost the head the way he went in even if he didn’t properly catch him.

Penalty I’m not sure about. Thought it was poor defending but we didn’t get a foul on the halfway line for a foul on Boyle 30 seconds earlier for the exact same thing.

The speed with which the decisions are given in their favour is ridiculous.

Pissed off on two counts. Firstly with the refereeing, thought it was a joke right from the start. Secondly with us, thought we were wasteful and showed a lack of quality throughout.
    Your summary exactly aligns with mine...I didn't see the Obita incident fully as it happened so quickly, but Goldson and Tavernier crowding the ref in jig time probably "swayed" him in once again making a very quick decision, which really grinds my gears as the card is out as soon as whatever incident has taken place involving them.

Porteous' red card at Ibrox when Walsh was the ref was given in a blink of an eye too.

I really don't think it'll change though until we see exactly what we're getting with the Foley/BKs investment. If we quickly assemble a really good team and start reeling off consistent results, and challenging the OF regularly for points in games, then there'll be even greater scrutiny in matches involving us v them two.

I'm also with you on the performance tonight though, we were always reaching for a killer pass or shots on goal which never really came, and apart from a brief flurry at the start of the second half, in general I can't really get excited watching Montgomery's Hibs team, and to be brutally honest I don't think he'll be trusted with the new "era" line that the club are pushing.
    Last edited by Scotty Leither; 10-03-2024 at 08:28 PM.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    No really sure what happened with the Obita one and not seen it back. I do know McLean didn’t see it and wasn’t giving a foul then reacted to them getting all upset.

Moriah-Welsh I thought was stupid. He lost the head the way he went in even if he didn’t properly catch him.

Penalty I’m not sure about. Thought it was poor defending but we didn’t get a foul on the halfway line for a foul on Boyle 30 seconds earlier for the exact same thing.

The speed with which the decisions are given in their favour is ridiculous.

Pissed off on two counts. Firstly with the refereeing, thought it was a joke right from the start. Secondly with us, thought we were wasteful and showed a lack of quality throughout.
    Absolutely correct. McLean certainly wasn't giving a foul at first. He was miles away from the incident and I don't even think he saw it. I assumed at the game that the lino must have flagged, but no, just saw a playback and the lino was motionless.

McLean clearly gave the foul and yellow to Obita following the reactions of the hun players.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    "Scared", so corrupt then.

Not the same thing. Corrupt implies they want to make a particular team win, which I don't think is the case. Scared implies they go into a game, something happens and they ***** themselves.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David90+2 View Post
    Some incredible posts on here tonight.

The Scottish officials are not corrupt, they’re incompetent that’s for sure, but any evidence of corruption????

Was Steven MacLean corrupt in 2016 as he gave us an innocuous foul in the final few mins, booking Andy Halliday in the process? No, he was again incompetent!

Please leave all the conspiracy theories to sevco et al we should be better than that!

Until we have any solid evidence of corruption, let’s focus on our own issues.

I’m as frustrated as anyone after the match tonight, but we’re to blame! We never threatened in the final third and got sucked into their game plan - hook line and sinker!

We can hide behind conspiracy theories, or face up to the fa ta that we weren’t good enough, got caught up in emotions and played into their hands.
    So if they aren’t corrupt when do we start getting decisions if they are fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphys Touch View Post
    Probably the last time we played exciting attacking football at Ibrox

Argument of a 12 year old
    Hardly

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_dundee View Post
    The issue isn't really conspiracy, it's ingrained bias and assumptions that favour certain teams more than others.

I'm not convinced we would have got the penalty Rangers got or that they would have had either of the red cards we got. That's not a conspiracy, but it is a bias.
    It’s corruption

Not the same thing. Corrupt implies they want to make a particular team win, which I don't think is the case. Scared implies they go into a game, something happens and they ***** themselves.

....helping the other team win.

I don't see the difference to be honest and I also reckon some referees aren't scared of "them" because they are "them".

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    It’s corruption
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption#:~:text=Corruption%20is%20a%20form%20of ,power%20for%20one's%20personal%20gain.

I don’t agree it’s corruption.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Of course we are biased, but I’m very confident that most neutrals would agree we were hard done by tonight. Fans of all clubs outside the big two know exactly what it’s like when they play the Old Firm. We are all up against it. Personally, I think it comes down to cowardice. Officials know that if they get a big call wrong against the Old Firm, their lives will be made hell. It’s easier to get it wrong against the rest of us; so, if there is any doubt, they side with the big two. Given the frenzy the Old Firm and their fans create at any opportunity, it isn’t surprising.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    NMW made the tackle at 70.39 and by 70.41 the ref was trying to get the red card out his back pocket

70.44 he was flashing the red card

Quick concise decision making Steven.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Most referees appear to be Rangers fans and hey presto Rangers benefit mostly from dubious decisions from refs who are all from west Central Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption#:~:text=Corruption%20is%20a%20form%20of ,power%20for%20one's%20personal%20gain.

I don’t agree it’s corruption.
    Wouldn’t rule it out given the wholesale corruption by Rangers first incarnation.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Of course we are biased, but I’m very confident that most neutrals would agree we were hard done by tonight. Fans of all clubs outside the big two know exactly what it’s like when they play the Old Firm. We are all up against it. Personally, I think it comes down to cowardice. Officials know that if they get a big call wrong against the Old Firm, their lives will be made hell. It’s easier to get it wrong against the rest of us; so, if there is any doubt, they side with the big two. Given the frenzy the Old Firm and their fans create at any opportunity, it isn’t surprising.
    Exactly.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Thought there was something staunchy about you

Aw diddums David did you let your club die?

Quote Originally Posted by calamitus View Post
    It's likely that some refs are genuinely corrupt, but most are probably experiencing confirmation bias. It's the term in psychology for when you have a world view -for example, I'm from the West of Scotland, so I think The Rangers and Celtc are WAY better than all the other teams. Therefore, in a player on player contest, the old firm player is way better, so must have been in the right/control.They expect that, so that's what they see. Where it gets corrupt is when VAR can watch in slo-mo and they still show that bias.
    But your argument re VAR could also show that BOTH are corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I sometimes think the same because they certainly are incompetent.

But for incompetence to be the root of the problem all teams would be affected equally. They're not.
    This is true … fundamentally … but some still choose to argue against it … I do wonder why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    I asked a Jambo supporting actuary mate of my bro about this. My question was tied to Freakonomics by the economist Levitt. He proved corruption in sumo wrestling. It’s in the book. I asked if you were to go about proving that in Scottish football how would you do it/

He said you’d look the stats around Rangers penalties against in comparison to other leagues the world and that is statistically significant.

That is enough for me it’s an anomaly and without “green tinted specs”. QED.
    It’s statistics … it’s also common sense … it’s in front of our eyes year after year. But it’s became like politics … people in this world think Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are worth voting for .. absolutely blinkered to their corrupt actions … and have some sort of idea that it’s all ok.

OMG ! “Innocent” numpties supporting corruption of officials. You know … it’s nothing new … I’ve seen it all my life … but it is astonishing that it carries on for decades and decades and … nothing changes.

Looking at stats on the spfl site. In the league this season, hibs have committed 30 less fouls than rangers but have been given 20 more yellow cards. Yes every foul is not equal, but even taking that into account, those figures suggest more than a statistical anomaly.

I’m slightly torn because to me “corrupt” suggests financial transactions taking place to directly influence decisions. I’m not claiming to know the literal or legal definition but I often wonder if debates on here are sometimes affected by people’s interpretations of the word.

Regardless: that is the first time I’ve left Easter road and genuinely wondered “what’s the point?” In bothering with this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    Looking at stats on the spfl site. In the league this season, hibs have committed 30 less fouls than rangers but have been given 20 more yellow cards. Yes every foul is not equal, but even taking that into account, those figures suggest more than a statistical anomaly.
    Thats quite an amazing stat tbf. It can't be dressed up any other way than for what it is 'Fraudulent deception'

The statistician's at our club should be all over this and presenting it to the powers that be.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I’m slightly torn because to me “corrupt” suggests financial transactions taking place to directly influence decisions. I’m not claiming to know the literal or legal definition but I often wonder if debates on here are sometimes affected by people’s interpretations of the word.

Regardless: that is the first time I’ve left Easter road and genuinely wondered “what’s the point?” In bothering with this anymore.
    There was a few around me voicing the the same opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post

Corruption isn’t just related to “financial corruption”.

Quote Originally Posted by cubehindthegoal View Post
    Corruption isn’t just related to “financial corruption”.
    Yeah, kind of what I was getting at. I think our definitions or conceptions of corruption differ across here.

On another note, I now regret responding with what was a genuine post on this thread when I read back and see what the OP was all about 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    So is ingrained bias not corruption? I know what you’re getting at BTW.
    We may be using slightly different language to describe the same thing :)

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Absolutely correct. McLean certainly wasn't giving a foul at first. He was miles away from the incident and I don't even think he saw it. I assumed at the game that the lino must have flagged, but no, just saw a playback and the lino was motionless.

McLean clearly gave the foul and yellow to Obita following the reactions of the hun players.
    It was almost identical to the second yellow/red he gave to Youan at Parkhead least season. On that occasion it wasn’t even a foul but the reaction of the crowd and the Celtic players caused him to reach for the card and send Youan off. Tonight it didn’t even look like the linesman flagged for it, certainly not initially anyway. That said, it was stupid play by Obita who should have been hooked before then anyway. His silly challenge gave McLean the chance to reach for his top pocket. Moriah-Welsh was equally daft with his tackle, it was never a red for me but again it invited McLean to make a decision and once he did it was only ever going to end badly for us. Poor game management from our players but even worse refereeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfurry72 View Post
    Let’s not forget that Killie pen at Ibrox made the official list of VAR errors too…incredible
    So … it would have been reversed by officials if given the chance … lol … so when was the last penalty Scottish Refs agree should’ve been there then ?

Probably not this century lol

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David90+2 View Post
    Some incredible posts on here tonight.

The Scottish officials are not corrupt, they’re incompetent that’s for sure, but any evidence of corruption????

Was Steven MacLean corrupt in 2016 as he gave us an innocuous foul in the final few mins, booking Andy Halliday in the process? No, he was again incompetent!

Please leave all the conspiracy theories to sevco et al we should be better than that!

Until we have any solid evidence of corruption, let’s focus on our own issues.

I’m as frustrated as anyone after the match tonight, but we’re to blame! We never threatened in the final third and got sucked into their game plan - hook line and sinker!

We can hide behind conspiracy theories, or face up to the fa ta that we weren’t good enough, got caught up in emotions and played into their hands.
    I’ll give you the leiancy with which Rangers were treated over the EBTs and the side letters which were deemed to be part of their contracts.

People can lie. Evidence can't. The evidence says the match officials in Scotland are very obviously cheats.