hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Time to Act

Can you imagine the press coverage if we had sung a song about the Rangers fan who died in Lisbon.

They are the same fans who sung We thought you were dead we hoped you were dead to Neil Lennon not a peep in the press.

I have been going to games since the 60s and it is worse now than it was in the past.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Circumstances have significantly shifted since then.

I'll post the reply if I get one.
    Forward to Ian Gordon - I'm assuming his email follows the same pattern as everyone else at the club.

From what Kensell said at the AGM, it is IG that is really pushing for Rangers and Celtic to have their allocations cut. I get the impression it is the rest of the board that is concerned about the loss of income but he thinks it is worth the hit.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Forward to Ian Gordon - I'm assuming his email follows the same pattern as everyone else at the club.

From what Kensell said at the AGM, it is IG that is really pushing for Rangers and Celtic to have their allocations cut. I get the impression it is the rest of the board that is concerned about the loss of income but he thinks it is worth the hit.
    I can imagine IG wanting their allocation cut especially after the disgraceful way they carried on during the tribute to Ron after he passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    They give us 900 tickets for Ibrox, we should do the same, top right of the upper tier and that should be their lot. If they still sing their pish then next season they get nothing.
    Oh no, not the top tier. No chance. Bottom tier, with Hibs fans above them. **** them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    And still silence.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    In some alternate universe if Nathan Moriah Welsh had been injured last night and Rangers fans had sung about him dying a 'black *******' what do you think the reaction would have been? My reaction is certainly different because I felt far more uncomfortable typing that than I do 'fenian *******' because the latter is so normalised.

Would there have been the usual radio silence from the club? Would fans have given it the insipid 'I don't know/care what they sing'? Would people have argued 'we can't afford to cut their allocation'? Would there have been complete media silence beyond a couple of has been pundits on Twitter mentioning it and getting shouted down by the mob?

It's a weird and totally unacceptable quirk in Scotland that anti Catholic bigotry and anti Irish xenophobia are just part and parcel of every day life. A small local campaign recently stopped an orange march taking place in Stonehaven and good on the locals. Just imagine that had been a march deemed Islamophobic or anti Semitic for a moment though. It wouldn't have been a small, local campaign. It would have been all kinds of groups and individuals nationwide screaming from the rooftops, threatening counter protests and politicians of every shade weighing in with their two pennies. These anti Catholic marches are just normalised though, they pass off every year with almost no counter protests (beyond small groups of RCs standing silently outside their churches to show they won't be intimidated). Politicians don't care and 1 or 2 even openly support them (Murdo Fraser I'm looking at you).

There are plenty people queuing up to tell you how progressive, welcoming and forward thinking Scotland is; how much better we are than England because we don't have a racism problem and we are 'aw Jaock Tamson's bairns here' and other saccharine drivel. Try telling that to Neil Lennon, Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn, Paul McBride, Trish Godman et al. I'm sure those bullets in the post made them feel really welcome and included. The problem won't be tackled because too many people either don't accept there is a problem and even more don't care. Catholics and those of Irish descent are fair game; 'plastic paddies', 'not really Scottish' etc etc.

When it comes to football we are just a part of the societal problem. Make a totally despicable sticker about a stadium disaster and you will be all over the paper for a week, shout something racist and you'll have private detectives poring over audio footage for months trying to isolate the sound and catch you (and in both instance quite right too). Sing about someone dying a fenian *******? Aye cool, nothing to see here. It's pay to hate. Hibs will do nothing because the money matters more than any morality. There will be whataboutery, false equivalence and a whole load of other excuses trotted out by fans that dampens the initial anger then it all gets quietly forgotten about until the next time we play them and we repeat the process.

It's as pathetic as it is infuriating.
    Excellent post absolutely agree.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    When you are turning over 15m what is 400k in gate receipts? Very little. 20% of that 400k is vat which we don't keep anyway!

I really think it is time our club stood up and showed a bit of backbone and banned all OF supporters from ER.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    You've chosen one soundbite out of his full interview.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for John Lundstram. He’s a top, top player. But I thought the way he went down, Nathan didn’t catch him.

“I’ve seen that one back and he’s gone across him to try to block him playing a ball down the line, probably knock it out for a throw-in. But John has gone down.

“And the referee was very quick to give the card. To be honest, I was really surprised he didn’t go to the VAR monitor to have a look, considering it was three metres from where the incident happened. There’s just sometimes a bit of inconsistency, looking at decisions.”

Commenting on the penalty that led to Rangers’ opener, Montgomery added: “We can talk about whether it’s a penalty or whether it’s not a penalty. A couple of weeks ago, against Celtic, we had the exact same incident with Martin Boyle – a quick winger running inside, the fullback chasing, any contact … but Martin gets a yellow card, and we get a penalty given against us today.

“You see incidents like that - and it does just baffle you at times. Obviously, he’s slowed down to initiate the contact from Jordan. I can’t say whether it was or wasn’t a penalty – but it wasn’t a penalty for us a few weeks ago and it was a penalty tonight. That’s disappointing.

“The officials probably had a bit of a bad day today, to be honest. But we all have bad days.

“There’s no point in speaking to them. I think we’ve had a lot of calls go against us the last couple of weeks, and one or two apologies, but there’s no point in speaking to them today. It’s not going to change anything."

All of that is way too qualified in my book and serves to bring no pressure on referees whatsoever. No media storm means it might as well all never have happened.

But if that is the line the manager is either choosing or being forced to take then the Chief Executive ought to, by contrast, be going gangbusters on this in public. Why isn't he?

If Hearts, St Mirren and Kilmarnock can cut the OF allocations there is no reason why Hibs don't do the same. Now is the time to do it so they get several months notice of it taking effect in time for the new season.

If the allocation is not cut the only reason must be money