hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A referee will always look at it in the following way - was the player in control? Did he endanger an opponent? The speed of the incident.

As soon as a player leaves the ground with both feet to tackle like this then he has no control on what he makes contact with; the ball, an opponent, or the ground. It is more a matter of luck.

There was no contact with the opponent but other boxes were ticked thus making it a red. I'm not saying that the same decision would be made were the roles reversed (I'm not that silly), but I do understand why the decision was made.
    All that being said, the referee took zero time to consider his options or opinion and couldn't get the red card out quickly enough.
    Then why was Souttar not sent off for his assault on Boyle? Nowhere near the ball, just takes him out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Then why was Souttar not sent off for his assault on Boyle? Nowhere near the ball, just takes him out.
    Thought at the game appreciate from other end of the ground ff upper that Souttar took out Boyle in the air. Have seen it once since and thought the same.

What is the chat around a Hibs player being caught in the head? Cant remember that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    A referee will always look at it in the following way - was the player in control? Did he endanger an opponent? The speed of the incident.

As soon as a player leaves the ground with both feet to tackle like this then he has no control on what he makes contact with; the ball, an opponent, or the ground. It is more a matter of luck.

There was no contact with the opponent but other boxes were ticked thus making it a red. I'm not saying that the same decision would be made were the roles reversed (I'm not that silly), but I do understand why the decision was made.
    All that being said, the referee took zero time to consider his options or opinion and couldn't get the red card out quickly enough.

I think you are correct in the way it is interpreted but are those the rules.
    "A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

For me the first para in the rules is very poorly written but my take on it is you have to endanger an opponent and you don't do that when you are tackling the air in front of them. Excessive force and brutality happen every time a player leathers the ball, it is only when another player is involved that the force becomes an issue. There was very little force and no brutality at the point of contact with JL. The second point is similar. You have to lunge at an opponent(lunge I presume means leave the ground and being out of control although the John McGinn red suggests leaving the ground isn't really a factor). Again I don't think MW lunged at his opponent, he lunged at the area in front of him to block the ball.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I think you are correct in the way it is interpreted but are those the rules.
    "A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

For me the first para in the rules is very poorly written but my take on it is you have to endanger an opponent and you don't do that when you are tackling the air in front of them. Excessive force and brutality happen every time a player leathers the ball, it is only when another player is involved that the force becomes an issue. There was very little force and no brutality at the point of contact with JL. The second point is similar. You have to lunge at an opponent(lunge I presume means leave the ground and being out of control although the John McGinn red suggests leaving the ground isn't really a factor). Again I don't think MW lunged at his opponent, he lunged at the area in front of him to block the ball.
    Wreckless is a cautionable offence - not a sending off offence. As per Fifa Laws of The Games.

All about opinions but Moriah Welsh did not lunge at an opponent when challenging for the ball. He was trying to block Lundstram passing the ball down the channel, a trait MW usually does a little snapper in midfieild. Our most effective ball winner.

If we appeal in the correct manner then we would have a huge case for this being overturned.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Souttar jumps into Boyle getting nowhere near the ball and seriously injured him. So much so The game is held up for 8 minutes and he is carried off on a stretcher straight into an ambulance.

Surely that meets the criteria on every definition.
    a reckless and dangerous challenge…….
    Anything that gives a ref the excuse to give a free pen against, or red card to any team playing the old firm

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    They definitely need to look at challenges like Soutar’s or where players try to “roll” a player jumping for the ball because of the risks of bad injury on landing.

If you get a red card for jumping into a tackle that has no meaningful contact on your opponent, one which hospitalises or potentially hospitalises your opponent should definitely be a red card offence.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Why was their second goal not followed by a yellow card? A mate reckons it is because the same player was (incorrectly) shown a yellow last round and would miss the next if he was booked for leaving the field of play to celebrate.

All the while the ref is stood watching it.

Just another in a long line of shocking decisions on Sunday.

@hibs.net private member Sprouleflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

What next? Using the same logic as what is being offered as a reason for the red despite no contact being made, do we see the awarding of a penalty because a player could have fouled a player in the box but ultimately didn’t?

Red carding players because of what “might have happened” is just ridiculous.
    Ok maybe a bit rash but look at his left leg, moving away from the player so not a two footed challenge, also his right foot on contact with the ball is not what you would call studs up.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Why was their second goal not followed by a yellow card? A mate reckons it is because the same player was (incorrectly) shown a yellow last round and would miss the next if he was booked for leaving the field of play to celebrate.

All the while the ref is stood watching it.

Just another in a long line of shocking decisions on Sunday.
    Silva was booked v Ayr in the last round but should have been sent off when Collum bottled out of booking him for a second time hence the reason McLean chose not to book him on Sunday. Collum has previous for that can remember him booking James Forrest at Parkhead for diving. Same player does eaactly the same 5 minutes later Collum does nothing.