hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Denmark in Euro 92 are the reason the pass back rule was introduced
    That and Dundee United under McLean with Maurice Backpass playing.

Pass back rule change definitely improved the game

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Team A midfield

Newell Campbell Jeggo JDH

Team B midfield

Edwards Stanton Bremner Cropley

Aye your team can run about right enough but give me that and sheer football ability and class any day of the week
    Of course

Midfield A

Fyvie, Mcginn, Mcgeouch

Midfield B

Edwards, Stanton, Bremner, Cropley

You're team has sheer ability and class right enough, but mine turned up in Scottish cup finals

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    That and Dundee United under McLean with Maurice Backpass playing.

Pass back rule change definitely improved the game
    Agreed and led to it speeding up, which led to more player fatigue which led to more subs being allowed.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Of course

Midfield A

Fyvie, Mcginn, Mcgeouch

Midfield B

Edwards, Stanton, Bremner, Cropley

You're team has sheer ability and class right enough, but mine turned up in Scottish cup finals
    Still think mine is the stronger midfield a European Cup winner in there was never a big fan of McGeouch but that’s just me impossible to compare players from different eras add Scott Allan to your midfield now you’re talking Fyvie shudda just buttoned it and signed on the dotted line
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-03-2024 at 11:38 AM.

but mine turned up in Scottish cup finals
    Ffs

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Despite it being blatantly obvious that our players were leggy and physically tired after the Derby game, people are denying that games in rapid succession affect their performance.

The argument "I used to play 8 games a week and more if there was a full moon" seems to be holding sway.

The fact that they were pish in those 8 games is conveniently ignored.

It's like flat earthers and space deniers who ignore all the evidence because they want to believe the opposite.
    We played 3 games in a week including a derby.

Some players looked leggy, some didn’t and coped admirably.

There’s a decent rest going into the Rangers game which should allow us to go into this run in top condition.

We can use clever subs to manage fitness as well as a small amount of rotation if need be but I don’t think we should just assume that everybody will be knackered and that the need for disruptive widespread changes is inevitable.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We played 3 games in a week including a derby.

Some players looked leggy, some didn’t and coped admirably.

There’s a decent rest going into the Rangers game which should allow us to go into this run in top condition.

We can use clever subs to manage fitness as well as a small amount of rotation if need be but I don’t think we should just assume that everybody will be knackered and that the need for disruptive widespread changes is inevitable.
    I agree.

Fatigue is not a certainty.

But it is a possibility, and a regular occurrence, facts that some posters seem unwilling to accept.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    It's not that they weren't quick, but the pace of football in general was slower.

Seen some highlights of Euro 92 the other day. Denmark just chilling passing it back to the goalie when ahead. Him picking it up. Repeat. Let's not pretend this didn't happen regularly. Players are running faster, further and for longer these days.
    Pitches would play a big part too, I watched recent highlights of an English game from the 70s and the players looked like they were running through glue, even the ****tiest grass pitch nowadays is slicker, also add that players nowadays wear slippers as football boots, would love to see todays athletes playing on ****ty pitches wearing thick leather boots that needed lathered in “dubbin” before booting a solid ball with laces in it 😁

First Team Breakthrough
    Why change so much, surely professional footballers can play 3 games in a week

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc-1875 View Post
    I tried to argue the very same point as yourself, yesterday.

I was shot down in flames by one poster in particular!

Quote Originally Posted by hfc-1875 View Post
    They can. But 7/8 games a in 3 weeks begins to catch up.

@hibs.net private member
    It's not that they weren't quick, but the pace of football in general was slower.

Seen some highlights of Euro 92 the other day. Denmark just chilling passing it back to the goalie when ahead. Him picking it up. Repeat. Let's not pretend this didn't happen regularly. Players are running faster, further and for longer these days.
    I can’t remember the exact figures, but I read something previously that players now run around 50% further in games than they did in yesteryear. Even referees run about 30% now more than the players used to. When you consider players now are also bigger, stronger and more tactically astute, along with being technically far superior, it shows how much more difficult it must be to play football nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I can’t remember the exact figures, but I read something previously that players now run around 50% further in games than they did in yesteryear. Even referees run about 30% now more than the players used to. When you consider players now are also bigger, stronger and more tactically astute, along with being technically far superior, it shows how much more difficult it must be to play football nowadays.
    I think it's more difficult in some ways, easier in others.

There's definitely an awful lot of running these days but much of the "contact" is different and the pitches are better.

I was watching some old YouTube clips of Hibs games and winced once or twice at some of the appropriately robust challenges going in on the likes of John Colquhoun - which he just sort of got up from and walked / limped away from without much complaint. On balance I think I'd probably be happy to run more on perfect pitches in a semi-contact sport than spend afternoons running through treacle and getting halved repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Don't think it's as high as 50% but probably 2 or 3 kilometres more. Bear in mind pitches were not as good in the past. There will always be players that are fitter than others due to body shape muscle mass etc. Playing 3 games in 6 or 7 days should be the norm. Players like Shades would be as fit as any players today.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Don't think it's as high as 50% but probably 2 or 3 kilometres more. Bear in mind pitches were not as good in the past. There will always be players that are fitter than others due to body shape muscle mass etc. Playing 3 games in 6 or 7 days should be the norm. Players like Shades would be as fit as any players today.
    Yip guy was a keep fit fanatic

Arthur as well greased lightning

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yip guy was a keep fit fanatic

Arthur as well greased lightning
    A muscled left back sylvester stallone. Left one on Bryan Robson if I remember rightly. Hard as nails.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by King Cosell View Post
    That Dundee Utd and the Liverpool 1982/83 side would be relegated in 2023/24.
    No way of knowing that as it is an apples to oranges comparison and I would completely disagree with you. If the modern players played for 10 minutes under the rules as they were interpreted then they would all be out injured for months. May well injure themselves kicking the ball given how fragile they are. If the old school players were playing now most wouldn't smoke and drink. The teams you mentioned there I could probably name and view as legends at their clubs more than current day players at the top of those leagues. Very few really special players these days imo. Even if there are special teams it is usually about money so has little value in terms of emotion. Different eras and I definitely know which one I preferred. To me football was more an art back then and it is more a science now. Like many sports the personality is gone, the entertainment factor is diminished greatly and the value for money non existent. I love Hibs as much now as I ever have but I'm not really fond of the professional game.

Regardless of the trip down memory lane, on our budget we should be easily able to navigate the middle game against Ross County.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    No way of knowing that as it is an apples to oranges comparison and I would completely disagree with you. If the modern players played for 10 minutes under the rules as they were interpreted then they would all be out injured for months. May well injure themselves kicking the ball given how fragile they are. If the old school players were playing now most wouldn't smoke and drink. The teams you mentioned there I could probably name and view as legends at their clubs more than current day players at the top of those leagues. Very few really special players these days imo. Even if there are special teams it is usually about money so has little value in terms of emotion. Different eras and I definitely know which one I preferred. To me football was more an art back then and it is more a science now. Like many sports the personality is gone, the entertainment factor is diminished greatly and the value for money non existent. I love Hibs as much now as I ever have but I'm not really fond of the professional game.

Regardless of the trip down memory lane, on our budget we should be easily able to navigate the middle game against Ross County.
    Players now are no weaker or more fragile. They're fitter, stronger and playing more games than ever.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Pep resting 7 players after the derby and before the Liverpool game on Sunday.

I imagine he'll replace Haaland very early too.

He obviously doesn't read Hibs.net! Top manager my arse.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Players now are no weaker or more fragile. They're fitter, stronger and playing more games than ever.
    There are far more injuries now and the contact is minimal compared to what it used to be. I'm not disputing the are fitter and most faster. The species is bigger and has better nutrition so they are also bigger. One thing we probably can agree on is that fitness is more important now. Plenty teams played three games a week back in the day and they never struggled with routine league games on a Saturday. Ability trumped running back then and there is a bit of me that also thinks there was more desire, pride and willingness to do anything to win at least at the very top clubs

I remember watching us draw 2 v 2 at the Holy Ground against Cowdenbeath on 2nd January 1971 . 24 hours earlier we had dropped a point in a draw at Tynecastle . A few years later I remember watching us win a home Scottish Cup tie on a Sunday after playing a league match against Celtic 24 hours before . In both cases only 1 sub was allowed . Obviously modern football ( and professional sport in general ) demands more physical fitness than before but I can`t help feeling things like multiple substitutions and rotating squads are sometimes more to do with keeping massive numbers in squads happy rather than down only to tiredness .