hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sky Sports

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Folk moan about kick of times being changed to suit TV, folk moan we're not on TV enough. Can't win
    I don’t like KO times being moved to accommodate TV, but only being selected twice to date for Sky TV annoys me just as much.

A bit like being annoyed at the prospect of getting searched at the turnstiles, but being more annoyed when they take one look at you and just wave you through..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The Edinburgh Derby has a huge appeal, and maybe not always for the right reasons as we saw the other night, but no one can deny it’s a powder keg fixture, with big away crowds in attendance and an occasion that’s tense, nervy and usually with plenty controversy. I don’t watch much football on TV but this is the type of fixture that would draw me in.

Any TV deal that decides such matches to be not worthy of coverage is obviously a hugely flawed one. If there is a genuine will to promote our game in Scotland and show that there’s more to Scottish football than the Old Firm, yet repeatedly ignore a box office fixture, then those in office are shirking their responsibilities towards the greater good of the game.

It’s more or less an admission that they’re not really interested in anyone apart from the Old Firm.
    All they’re interested in is viewing figures. And they know they’ll get more viewers when Rangers visit Tynecastle than when we do.

It’s on the clubs for having such stupid restrictions in place.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Matty nailed it. We need a broadcast PARTNER. Someone prepared and willing to invest the time and content to our clubs.

I'm not sure if that's solely Doncaster responsibility but there needs to be far greater scope when we seek our next deal
    Are there any other broadcasters out there interested in paying as much as Sky?

If there is, I'd imagine we'll go with them next time around. If not, we'll take what Sky offers and nothing will change.

Just to update the figures, and we are now joint bottom with Dundee in the general interest outwith the Old Firm for Sky table.

Must be the most imbalanced TV deal in Europe by some distance.

I wouldn’t be wasting any money to include any TV Studio facilities that would only be used a couple of times a season in future development plans. I’d remove the thing that’s there at present and put the space to better use and just let them broadcast pitchside.

Celtic 19
    Rangers 16
    Aberdeen 6
    Ross County 5
    St.Mirren 5
    Hearts 4
    Livingston 4
    Kilmarnock 3
    Motherwell 3
    St.Johnstone 3
    Dundee 2
    Hibs 2

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Just to update the figures, and we are now joint bottom with Dundee in the general interest outwith the Old Firm for Sky table.

I wouldn’t be wasting any money to include any TV Studio facilities that would only be used a couple of times a season in future development plans. I’d remove the thing that’s there at present and put the space to better use and just let them broadcast pitchside.

Celtic 19
    Rangers 16
    Aberdeen 6
    Ross County 5
    St.Mirren 5
    Hearts 4
    Livingston 4
    Kilmarnock 3
    Motherwell 3
    St.Johnstone 3
    Dundee 2
    Hibs 2
    These are quite unbelievable stats. Means Rangers and Celtic fans can nearly watch every away game on Sky

I cancelled my Old Firm TV subscription last year and won’t be adding it back in anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    These are quite unbelievable stats. Means Rangers and Celtic fans can nearly watch every away game on Sky

I cancelled my Old Firm TV subscription last year and won’t be adding it back in anytime soon
    Been the case for years. Almost every OF away game broadcast.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Celtic 19
    Rangers 16
    Aberdeen 6
    Ross County 5
    St.Mirren 5
    Hearts 4
    Livingston 4
    Kilmarnock 3
    Motherwell 3
    St.Johnstone 3
    Dundee 2
    Hibs 2
    What are the stats for? Have we not been on more than two games?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    What are the stats for? Have we not been on more than two games?
    Correct, I think the games were Celtic and Hearts

Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post
    Correct, I think the games were Celtic and Hearts
    That is a shocker

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Now do the stats for teams featured in games that didn't include Rangers or Celtic

The SPFL put in a tender 4 games at each ground, they sell it on the basis of the Old Firm away being on every week. It wouldn’t matter who had the rights, Sky or BT or BBC, that is the quota the league obviously wanted to tender. When I say league, I mean the clubs, one of them ours!!

If we have been on just twice then they obviously saved games presuming we would have been in the top six with Rangers and Hearts to come that would have been on. So partly our fault for being woeful!!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Now do the stats for teams featured in games that didn't include Rangers or Celtic
    I can genuinely only remember the Livi v Motherwell game a couple of months ago as a game the didn't feature the old firm being on Sky.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I can genuinely only remember the Livi v Motherwell game a couple of months ago as a game the didn't feature the old firm being on Sky.
    Yeah the same day as Hearts 1 v 1 Hibs IIRC

Nuts !

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yeah the same day as Hearts 1 v 1 Hibs IIRC

Nuts !
    Is it nuts? If they only have a quota of 4 games at each ground and they don’t know who will make the top six, then they have to keep games back surely? They didn’t take Kilmarnock v Rangers that midweek too, it was Ross County v St. Mirren. So ultimately the quotas, that the club want to put to tender is one of the issues.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieRoy View Post
    Is it nuts? If they only have a quota of 4 games at each ground and they don’t know who will make the top six, then they have to keep games back surely? They didn’t take Kilmarnock v Rangers that midweek too, it was Ross County v St. Mirren. So ultimately the quotas, that the club want to put to tender is one of the issues.
    OK but what about Hibs fans wanting to watch the game who couldn’t get tickets ?

Did Hearts offer a PPV ? ( was a midweek game )

The only other option would be IPTV or a dodgy stream ?

I appreciate the four game rule but remember thinking the UK missed out on a spectacle and a missed opportunity to promote our derby
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; Yesterday at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    OK but what about Hibs fans wanting to watch the game who couldn’t get tickets ?

Did Hearts offer a PPV ?

The only other option would be IPTV or a dodgy stream ?

I appreciate the four game rule but remember thinking the UK missed out on a spectacle and a missed opportunity to promote our derby
    Absolutely agree with that.

Hearts could have offered PPV that night as it was a midweek and you can do PPV on a midweek even if Sky had a game.

The problem I have is we focus on Sky and it is easy to blame them or TV in general, it is on the SPFL and by extension the clubs.

Since 2006-2020, they sold 60 games with 6 games at each non-Old Firm ground. That made sure all the big games were covered.

The clubs wanted to cut games on TV and go from 6 to 4 at each ground.

Sky can take up to 48 games but 4 at each ground. 12 teams x 4 at each ground = 48. No way with a split and some meaningless games that they will ever take 48 and I don’t blame them for that. I blame the clubs that made this into a tender to sell.

The interesting question is would Sky have shown the last Edinburgh Derby had we made the top six as they could go back to Easter Road twice. No quota issues. That would have told the story.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Time for the non OF teams to start their own channel/negotiate their own deal. It would mean that any games v OF would be in TV limbo but I can deal with that.

Would gladly pay a tenner a month or whatever reasonable price is required for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Time for the non OF teams to start their own channel/negotiate their own deal. It would mean that any games v OF would be in TV limbo but I can deal with that.

Would gladly pay a tenner a month or whatever reasonable price is required for that.
    Really? The TV deal is collective. If Sky were the only meaningful bidders last time, who would come in for a deal like that.

Clubs have a fiduciary due to act in the best interests of their company. Why would they risk a TV deal being less than it currently is?

Disgraceful coverage not that I’d want hibs this season to be broadcast too much for obvious reasons

But we wonder why their is a lack of interest etc

Aberdeen v hibs
    Hearts v Aberdeen
    All these type of bigger team fixtures should be on telly

Instead each week your treated to Ross county v Celtic

Then Livingston v rangers it really is a brutal tv deal and old firm domination

Sadly the sfa don’t care about who’s on, they just want the cash

Absolutely agree with that.

Hearts could have offered PPV that night as it was a midweek and you can do PPV on a midweek even if Sky had a game.

The problem I have is we focus on Sky and it is easy to blame them or TV in general, it is on the SPFL and by extension the clubs.

Since 2006-2020, they sold 60 games with 6 games at each non-Old Firm ground. That made sure all the big games were covered.

The clubs wanted to cut games on TV and go from 6 to 4 at each ground.

Sky can take up to 48 games but 4 at each ground. 12 teams x 4 at each ground = 48. No way with a split and some meaningless games that they will ever take 48 and I don’t blame them for that. I blame the clubs that made this into a tender to sell.

The interesting question is would Sky have shown the last Edinburgh Derby had we made the top six as they could go back to Easter Road twice. No quota issues. That would have told the story.
    Do you work for Sky?

Don’t forget, next season, the deal goes to 60 games and 5 at each ground.

There are also two package of 10 games which are non-Old Firm games that are being sold. Sky have first refusal then they go on the open market, so let’s see if TNT, Premier or BBC want to put their money up and buy non-Old Firm games. No excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Disgraceful coverage not that I’d want hibs this season to be broadcast too much for obvious reasons

But we wonder why their is a lack of interest etc

Aberdeen v hibs
    Hearts v Aberdeen
    All these type of bigger team fixtures should be on telly

Instead each week your treated to Ross county v Celtic

Then Livingston v rangers it really is a brutal tv deal and old firm domination

Sadly the sfa don’t care about who’s on, they just want the cash
    It’s the spfl which is basically the clubs

Don’t forget, next season, the deal goes to 60 games and 5 at each ground.

There are also two package of 10 games which are non-Old Firm games that are being sold. Sky have first refusal then they go on the open market, so let’s see if TNT, Premier or BBC want to put their money up and buy non-Old Firm games. No excuse.
    What do you mean first refusal? Does that mean Sky agree and no other broadcaster gets a look in?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    What do you mean first refusal? Does that mean Sky agree and no other broadcaster gets a look in?
    https://twitter.com/spflwatch/status/1702733370797466051?s=46&t=WTrUMRRa5xKdbCnXP-Y1LA

Apparently it goes to Sky, if they don’t want to buy them, they go on the open market.

I am only going by what has been reported. The Mediawatch guy has put out what I put above about the 4 games at each ground.

I get annoyed at the clubs. Put something in a tender document that makes Sky or whoever have to show certain games.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

The uptake wouldn’t be big enough for it to be worthwhile in my opinion.

Like it or not the vast majority of football fans in the country are Rangers and Celtc fans. So your target market is the proportion of the population who like football, but aren’t already getting the coverage they want, so subtracting the Rangers/Celtc supporters.

Then you factor in that it won’t always be your team playing on the televised game of the non-Rangers/Celtc channel. Are folk really interested in watching Ross County or Dundee or Motherwell games that aren’t against Hibs? Especially when they’ll likely be on at the same time as other games from the EPL.

I think if the idea had any legs it’d be done already. The interest just isn’t there to make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Only 4 games broadcast that didn’t feature either of Old Firm.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

Like it or not the vast majority of football fans in the country are Rangers and Celtc fans. So your target market is the proportion of the population who like football, but aren’t already getting the coverage they want, so subtracting the Rangers/Celtc supporters.

Then you factor in that it won’t always be your team playing on the televised game of the non-Rangers/Celtc channel. Are folk really interested in watching Ross County or Dundee or Motherwell games that aren’t against Hibs? Especially when they’ll likely be on at the same time as other games from the EPL.

I think if the idea had any legs it’d be done already. The interest just isn’t there to make this happen.
    I agree with this, no chance would there be enough non-old firm interest.

I do think clubs should be given the chance to shows their games PPV if not selected for TV.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

Agreed. Not close to enough demand for something like that.