hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alf

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I get what people are saying but really hope we're done with signing 36 year olds.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone was advocating to get Riordan in to teach our forwards and youth players, which is a fairly nonsensical idea, but if Alf wanted to do coaching and be a super-sub I'd be all for that. Low'ish wages and a start to his coaching career at a club that is about to invest heavily in infrastructure at HTC. He's an absolute model pro and a very intelligent player, think it would be a good match up.
    Like the sound of this

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I get what people are saying but really hope we're done with signing 36 year olds.
    I wouldn’t want our squad to be stuffed with them but I hope we’ve always got space for someone who brings as much to the table as ALF does.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I wouldn’t want our squad to be stuffed with them but I hope we’ve always got space for someone who brings as much to the table as ALF does.
    Certainly brought a lot to the injury table just like the other 36 year old Aiden McGeady.

Much respect for these guys' talents but hopefully with the new investments we are targetting players with this sort of talent when they are 24-28 years of age.

Certainly brought a lot to the injury table just like the other 36 year old Aiden McGeady.

Much respect for these guys' talents but hopefully with the new investments we are targetting players with this sort of talent when they are 24-28 years of age.
    I kind of get the general point but he’s not comparable to McGeady. Le Fondre been unavailable for a dozen games and didn’t have the same injury history McGeady did when he signed. He just got an injury which happens.

Marshall hasn’t been injured much, Stevenson is never injured. McGeady I’ll give you but his injury record immediately pre-Hibs was terrible so his injury woes were predictable.

Re ALF an his injuries - if he gets injured next week and misses the rest of the season then I might agree with you. If he keeps making appearances and contributions then I think his signing will have been worth it.

Yeah, hopefully we're targeting premier league players in their prime years.

Nae chance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

Nae chance.
    Maybe not in their prime but I think the summer window will have a few exciting talents that could be heading in that direction. A man can dream.

Left by mutual consent!

No team in Scotland (including the Glasgow filth) will be signing players that age from the second best league in the world.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

Nae chance.
    We've already signed one - Marcondes is a 28 year old Premier League player.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    A fox in the box full of game intelligence experience and awareness

I liked the way he created space for Levitt to get his shot away for his goal

Do not think I have seen anything like him since Craig Brewster as a comparison but I think he was even younger

Badly missed him coming off the bench when he was out injured

I remember wincing when we signed him but have to admit a very good team player indeed even better than I imagined he would be

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I agree with the points made about ALF. His intelligence and ability are really really good.

As Smartie says, if he stays fit from now til the season’s end, I’d be offering him another year.

He said in an interview recently it was his first ever injury? Or one of note anyway.

He’s a cracking player. I also wished we had got him a few years ago but such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    We've already signed one - Marcondes is a 28 year old Premier League player.
    For 5 months after an injury mind. I don't think we'll be getting many of those in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I kind of get the general point but he’s not comparable to McGeady. Le Fondre been unavailable for a dozen games and didn’t have the same injury history McGeady did when he signed. He just got an injury which happens.
    Not only does he not have McGeadys injury history, ALF said in interview that was his first injury of his career. At his age that’s remarkable.