hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alf

Alf

thought he was great when he came on, really showed his football intelligence, lovely runs and link up play and never stopped harassing their defense. Really good option to bring on, but also a great role model for vente and our youth players too.

Not sure if we'll offer him an extension but I'd be tempted to.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    He was more than decent. Didn't quite agree with the sub at the time but funnily enough turned out ot make perfect sense.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thought he was great when he came on, really showed his football intelligence, lovely runs and link up play and never stopped harassing their defense. Really good option to bring on, but also a great role model for vente and our youth players too.

I would such an intelligent player and still looks fit. Unlucky not to get a couple of goals today.

He was excellent. Probably better suited to playing with a partner though.

Thought he was good when he came on. Knows what he’s doing.

He added some much needed energy - good show for a 37 year old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to say I really like ALF, such an intelligent footballer. Was with my daughter at the game who plays as a striker in the girls academy and told her right away watch him, you'll learn lots.

Still has plenty to offer even in his older years, can tell he was a step above this level in his prime.

@hibs.net private member
    I've stuck up a lot for Vente but I'd seriously be considering starting ALF in the coming weeks. He won't work as hard as Vente but his movement was top class today.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I've stuck up a lot for Vente but I'd seriously be considering starting ALF in the coming weeks. He won't work as hard as Vente but his movement was top class today.
    I thought today showed that we’ll need to mix things up a bit in the next three games. Thought we were leggy today and it was no surprise that the subs made a difference.

I’d play Vente against Rangers as we’ll need to run like **** to beat them, especially when they’ll be off the back of Benfica away. I’d be thinking about Alf for the game(s) after as I think he’ll be more of a threat.

Left by mutual consent!

Someone was advocating to get Riordan in to teach our forwards and youth players, which is a fairly nonsensical idea, but if Alf wanted to do coaching and be a super-sub I'd be all for that. Low'ish wages and a start to his coaching career at a club that is about to invest heavily in infrastructure at HTC. He's an absolute model pro and a very intelligent player, think it would be a good match up.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Someone was advocating to get Riordan in to teach our forwards and youth players, which is a fairly nonsensical idea, but if Alf wanted to do coaching and be a super-sub I'd be all for that. Low'ish wages and a start to his coaching career at a club that is about to invest heavily in infrastructure at HTC. He's an absolute model pro and a very intelligent player, think it would be a good match up.
    Agreed, and given he's close with McDermott it maybe wouldn't be a surprise to see this happen 👍

The signing ive been most pleasantly surprised with. As long as hes fit id have him as a plan b guy off the bench regularly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The signing ive been most pleasantly surprised with. As long as hes fit id have him as a plan b guy off the bench regularly.
    Agree, very intelligent player who seems to keep himself fit

Coaching Staff
    I laugh now when I broke the news he had signed for us and was met by a lot of knee jerk negative comments😂

Far as I can see Alfie is as fit as anyone else despite his age and is till playing well.

I’d start him instead of Vente and definitely take up the option for next season.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I laugh now when I broke the news he had signed for us and was met by a lot of knee jerk negative comments😂

Far as I can see Alfie is as fit as anyone else despite his age and is till playing well.

I’d start him instead of Vente and definitely take up the option for next season.
    Would agree with that though did think Vente had his best game for Hibs in the derby. Suppose issue would be whether Alf fit enough to start however his intelligence physicality against significantly taller defenders plus general play is excellent. Real shame he was injured when he was however would have no issues with him starting as he will no doubt link well with our other excellent attackers and may be the clinical finisher we need was very unlucky with his header from a corner yesterday such a smart run. Would definitely be keen to give him new deal.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Said to my son at the game yesterday that he is a very clever player. Would have loved to have got him 5 years ago

He’s a great option to have as substitute as was big Doidge. I can’t understand for the life of me why we allowed him to leave.

Getting back to Alf, he’s a class act and you can see the intelligence with some of his movement.

I was willing for him to score, there was one passage of play he made great movement in the box only for the ball to get cut back behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    He’s a great option to have as substitute as was big Doidge. I can’t understand for the life of me why we allowed him to leave.

Getting back to Alf, he’s a class act and you can see the intelligence with some of his movement.

I was willing for him to score, there was one passage of play he made great movement in the box only for the ball to get cut back behind him.
    He made a nice run to the right which opened up space for Dylan to score the second yesterday. IMO it's hugely disrespectful to ALF to compare him to doige. Doige tried his heart out but he's a target man, little more. There's a reason he's playing for a team about to be relegated to the conference. ALF is a class apart.

Left by mutual consent!

I loved Doidge but I don't really see a place for him in this team. Think that move also suited him.

It ALF had played the same amount of minutes as Vente this season I’m confident he’d have at least double his goals.

He made a nice run to the right which opened up space for Dylan to score the second yesterday. IMO it's hugely disrespectful to ALF to compare him to doige. Doige tried his heart out but he's a target man, little more. There's a reason he's playing for a team about to be relegated to the conference. ALF is a class apart.
    That's hugely disrespectful to Doidge. Decent career, worked hard, very effective for us before injury, scored a fair few, clever player. There's a reason he played every week for a Hibs side that finished 3rd.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I loved Doidge but I don't really see a place for him in this team. Think that move also suited him.
    Doidge has a notably better goals per minute ratio this season than any other striker outwith Maolida in this team. I’d have kept him.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Spot on mate

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Said to my son at the game yesterday that he is a very clever player. Would have loved to have got him 5 years ago
    Yeh all those rumours about him signing every transfer window a few years ago, which maybe we're tongue in cheek, what an asset he would have been, think another year contract with a coaching role....

Ye I really wasn’t comparing him with Alf tbh. What I meant was that Doidge gave us a brilliant option off the bench in games were we needed to maybe come from behind.
    Balls into the box I could see the big man knocking it on and with Alfs intelligence running onto the knock down to score.

We really don’t have someone with that aerial ability.
    Last edited by Greensunshine; 03-03-2024 at 03:21 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Doidge has a notably better goals per minute ratio this season than any other striker outwith Maolida in this team. I’d have kept him.
    I know that argument for keeping him is reasonable, but maybe it's better to consider the bigger picture. NM is trying to blend a fluid attacking team, and Doidge has no place in that. We're in the cusp of quite a big change in player quality, we needed to begin clearing the decks and as I said previously, the move probably suited both parties, irrespective of he would have been handy to gave around.

Total respect to Doidge but his time at Hibs was over.

I know that argument for keeping him is reasonable, but maybe it's better to consider the bigger picture. NM is trying to blend a fluid attacking team, and Doidge has no place in that. We're in the cusp of quite a big change in player quality, we needed to begin clearing the decks and as I said previously, the move probably suited both parties, irrespective of he would have been handy to gave around.

Total respect to Doidge but his time at Hibs was over.
    He would never be a starter for me but off the bench, what an option to have.
    Maybe he wasn’t happy with that, I have know idea. I just really liked the big guy and what he brought to the team.

Left by mutual consent!
    He would never be a starter for me but off the bench, what an option to have.
    Maybe he wasn’t happy with that, I have know idea. I just really liked the big guy and what he brought to the team.
    No real argument from me there. He was a useful player. But also a player on decent wages. Happy just to have decent parting of the ways and he knows he'll get a great welcome any time he's back up the road. Great guy, good player, good move.

No real argument from me there. He was a useful player. But also a player on decent wages. Happy just to have decent parting of the ways and he knows he'll get a great welcome any time he's back up the road. Great guy, good player, good move.
    👍

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Alf for a small lad a has a fantastic leap, won quite few headers
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 03-03-2024 at 05:17 PM.