hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    **** me some Uber fans on this thread.

If you can go and fancy it go and if not have a great day. Nobody needs to justify themselves about going to a game or not.
    Probably not but it's not a good look on a supporters forum to have post after post with people telling us they can't be arsed going to our biggest game of the season.
    If I wasn't going I would just maintain radio silence.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I’m not going because I don’t feel worthy of sitting amongst the real fans.

Nobody needs an excuse not to attend a game and if people have other things to do that’s their business. They certainly don’t deserve to be sneered at for having different priorities.
    Fair point but they would all be there if we were playing at Hampden in the final. Daytrippers.

They are on here almost boasting about not going.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Why? What's ridiculous about folk doing something nice for their mum?
    Nothing - who said there was? Everyone should be nice to their mum, every day of the year

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

Except noone is using it as an ‘excuse’ are they? Some people like doing all sorts of things that clash with their love of Hibs, whether its work related, another interest or maintaining family relationships. Personally i ****ing hate golf but im aware there are also people that don’t.
    Yes they are - people are saying that ticket sales are being affected because its Mother's Day.

People can do what the hell they like, but if they are claiming Mothers day is the reason for non attendance then they had no intention of ever going.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Probably not but it's not a good look on a supporters forum to have post after post with people telling us they can't be arsed going to our biggest game of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Fair point but they would all be there if we were playing at Hampden in the final. Daytrippers.

Also the insinuation that if you want to go to this Hibs game then you aren't putting family first.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 04-03-2024 at 09:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Yes they are - people are saying that ticket sales are being affected because its Mother's Day.

People can do what the hell they like, but if they are claiming Mothers day is the reason for non attendance then they had no intention of ever going.
    It's a reason, not an excuse.

Why would anyone need an "excuse" for not going to a football match?

No-one is obliged to go.

I'm not going to the game and I don't need to explain myself to anyone.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member

So my Kids and Grandkids book a lovely afternoon tea/ meal out at 4.30 for me and I’m supposed to say “sorry can’t make it, I’m going to the match”. Sorry but I’m not going to disappoint my family and cause problems because of a game of football. However, I’m fortunate that my family always take into account the fixtures to allow me to do both. Not everyone’s family do. FYI I’m going for brunch with my Daughter at 1200 and going to the game with my Son. Is that ok with you?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post

Every set of fans have daytrippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It's a reason, not an excuse.

Why would anyone need an "excuse" for not going to a football match?

No-one is obliged to go.

I'm not going to the game and I don't need to explain myself to anyone.

I'm not saying people need to explain themselves for not going - I'm questioning the idea that has been banded about that ticket sales will be affected because of Mothers day. That just doesn't stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I think it would be shame if there was a poor home support as given our upturn in form and quality and the Huns crowded fixture list, we have an outside chance of going through.

However I do think a lot of people are pretty much done with home games against the OF, having to listen to a bunch of professional celebrators high on their financial advantages and intoxicated with their sectarian pantomime.

If this was St Mirren/Adeen/Dundee/Killie for a semi place at Hampden, we would probably be close to selling out the home stands by now.
    I would agree entirely with your point regarding the OF. I will be going, I live locally and have no reason not to go but I must admit I’m not particularly enthusiastic. Spending extra money on top of the season ticket to see us, let’s face it, likely lose and have to listen to those cretins for 90 minutes.

It’s not exactly an attractive offering and if I had something else on I may well have given it a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    So my Kids and Grandkids book a lovely afternoon tea/ meal out at 4.30 for me and I’m supposed to say “sorry can’t make it, I’m going to the match”. Sorry but I’m not going to disappoint my family and cause problems because of a game of football. However, I’m fortunate that my family always take into account the fixtures to allow me to do both. Not everyone’s family do. FYI I’m going for brunch with my Daughter at 1200 and going to the game with my Son. Is that ok with you?
    So you've invented a scenario whereby you wouldnt have been able to go to the game because its Mothers Day then actually explained that you are going because its quite possible to celebrate Mothers day and go to the game as well?

In your imaginary scenario though, if i wanted to go to the game I would just suggest a slightly earlier time for afternoon tea

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Couldn't agree more wouldn't miss it for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    I would agree entirely with your point regarding the OF. I will be going, I live locally and have no reason not to go but I must admit I’m not particularly enthusiastic. Spending extra money on top of the season ticket to see us, let’s face it, likely lose and have to listen to those cretins for 90 minutes.

It’s not exactly an attractive offering and if I had something else on I may well have given it a miss.
    Well exactly mate - these are the real reasons for poor ticket uptake and that's fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Spending extra money on top of the season ticket to see us, let’s face it, likely lose and have to listen to those cretins for 90 minutes.
    The fact we are likely to lose is the key bit. If it was a good Hibs team that folk believed in, we’d be shifting more tickets. Folk would be willing to take their ma out earlier in the day or whatever and would be less concerned about listening to songs about Billy.

Expectation is what drives the attendance above anything else.

The games since 2020 - atmosphere, the way the Old Firm play and Hibs' own failings - have really ruined this fixture as one to look forward to attending.

The way we've sat off for umpteen games in a row really kills the home crowd, almost like we accept Rangers/Celtic have 70 per cent of the ball and keeping a shape is far more important than proper 50/50. Then it turns into away end Ultras procession with the whole songbook in evidence.

The intolerance of sharing a stadium with them wouldn't be that stark if the games themselves weren't so one-sided and possession based. You'd have happily paid 30 quid for these games in 2005 and 2015-2018 as Hibs would steam into them and the crowd would be up for it - less so now.

That said, as ever, a big Hibs crowd can help sp much, would hope it's at least 3/4 full.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I'm not saying people need to explain themselves for not going - I'm questioning the idea that has been banded about that ticket sales will be affected because of Mothers day. That just doesn't stack up.
    Whether you think its a made up day or whatever, it probably will affect sales, even slightly. It absolutely stacks up. Some people will be spending the day with their mum.

@hibs.net private member
    So you've invented a scenario whereby you wouldnt have been able to go to the game because its Mothers Day then actually explained that you are going because its quite possible to celebrate Mothers day and go to the game as well?

In your imaginary scenario though, if i wanted to go to the game I would

just suggest a slightly earlier time for afternoon tea
    Read it again. I said IF my family had arranged something and it clashed I would miss the game. However as my family know I would like to attend they worked around that. I said not every family would so therefore have a clash.

@hibs.net private member
    I’d hazard a guess it would absolutely stack up if you’re Hibs and you had the data.

Days when other events are on will likely see crowds smaller than usual. If anything, the idea that it would have no impact at all doesn’t stack up. You’re unlikely to gain many people that are going purely because it’s Mother’s Day but you’re a lot more likely for people not to be going because it’s Mother’s Day.

Likewise if Scotland are playing rugby at Murrayfield, you’re not going to get anybody going to the Hibs game because Scotland are playing at Murrayfield. You’re likely to get people not going because of it though.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Except I didn't suggest ticket sales WILL be affected, I suggested they MIGHT be affected.

Clearly I was right as some people aren't going because of it. It is what it is.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    “Daytrippers”, “excuses”, folk moaning because of how strangers may choose to spend their time and money. I’m just waiting on “1970s Brazil” to complete my bingo line.

Hopefully the upturn in results and form will encourage more to go. I wouldn't expect a SC game against the OF to sell out anyway. Historically Hibs and Hearts don't sell out these fixtures in the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Except I didn't suggest ticket sales WILL be affected, I suggested they MIGHT be affected.

Clearly I was right as some people aren't going because of it. It is what it is.
    Of course Mothers Day will impact ticket sales, I doubt it will be the main reason for poor sales but it will be a reason.

I'm lucky in that my wife 'gets it' with Hibs and I get a fair bit of leeway. I know plenty others who have different situations at home and would absolutely be expected to miss a game for a day like Sunday though. Tbh if my kids were a bit older and had booked something then it's unlikely I would have demanded they change the time to suit the football; that would just seem exceptionally rude to me.

These threads always go the same way. They start of with people saying 'I'm not having a go at people with valid excuses' (WTF is a 'valid excuse' to miss a game anyway) and then descends into 'you would be able to afford it/make it/cancel plans if it was X, Y or Z). People then feel pressured into justifying their own non attendance and it becomes one of those cyclical arguments 'your desperate to tell everyone why you aren't going' against 'I'm only saying because you are having a go when you have no idea of my reasons' and repeat ad nauseam. Tedious.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    The games since 2020 - atmosphere, the way the Old Firm play and Hibs' own failings - have really ruined this fixture as one to look forward to attending.

The way we've sat off for umpteen games in a row really kills the home crowd, almost like we accept Rangers/Celtic have 70 per cent of the ball and keeping a shape is far more important than proper 50/50. Then it turns into away end Ultras procession with the whole songbook in evidence.

The intolerance of sharing a stadium with them wouldn't be that stark if the games themselves weren't so one-sided and possession based. You'd have happily paid 30 quid for these games in 2005 and 2015-2018 as Hibs would steam into them and the crowd would be up for it - less so now.

That said, as ever, a big Hibs crowd can help sp much, would hope it's at least 3/4 full.
    Excellent post. Really disappointing the way the club appears to approach these fixtures nowadays. Even see it amongst the support too, with plenty happy to write these games off as ‘free hits’.

As one of the biggest clubs in Scotland - we should always be aiming to get stuck in about them and make it a real battle, particularly at home.

Our stand off nature in these games just totally flattens the home crowd.

Too often in recent years we just roll over and get our belly tickled.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'll be going, and I hope if we do get to the final we get to have our pick of the seats and it's just the hardcore* that get to go. Down with day-trippers.

*someone will need to define hardcore, though - I initially thought it would be season ticket holders, but I missed Killie away due to a family engagement at an escape room and this was frowned upon as well, so even though I'm not letting Mothers' Day stop me on Sunday, I think I'll need to give up any cup final ticket I might have got to someone more deserving.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Wish I was going but will be out for dinner with the family, if it had been an earlier kick off then would have been all good

First Team Regular
    Genuinely shocked that there are posters on here with mothers who are not already Hibs season ticket holders itching to get stuck into the Hun. If my 85 year old mother can turn up to Tynie to chuck a pie at Lawrence Shankland, then so can all of yours!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    Genuinely shocked that there are posters on here with mothers who are not already Hibs season ticket holders itching to get stuck into the Hun. If my 85 year old mother can turn up to Tynie to chuck a pie at Lawrence Shankland, then so can all of yours!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    My Mums sitting on the window sill in my spare room, she would go radge if I took her urn to a hibs match 🫣

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I'll be going, and I hope if we do get to the final we get to have our pick of the seats and it's just the hardcore* that get to go. Down with day-trippers.

*someone will need to define hardcore, though - I initially thought it would be season ticket holders, but I missed Killie away due to a family engagement at an escape room and this was frowned upon as well, so even though I'm not letting Mothers' Day stop me on Sunday, I think I'll need to give up any cup final ticket I might have got to someone more deserving.
    Day trippers?

We Can Work It Out.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    My Mums sitting on the window sill in my spare room, she would go radge if I took her urn to a hibs match 🫣
    My old man is behind the goals at the foot of the slope. Every ****ing day, whether there's a game or not.

Now that's hard-core.