hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Would love to see us make him permanent. A joy to watch.

Sadly I think he'll prove to be too expensive for us - hopefully i'm wrong.

My worry is one of the uglies stepping in and taking him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would love to see us make him permanent. A joy to watch.

Sadly I think he'll prove to be too expensive for us - hopefully i'm wrong.

My worry is one of the uglies stepping in and taking him.
    Would be a statement of intent from the Black Knight group, to get emiliano and maolida, then we would just need to sort out defence and get rid of a few players that are on loan..

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Think you need to google what "market value" is. Mbappe literally has no market value to PSG. A "market" is a place where commodities, in this case footballers, are bought and sold for a price.

You're talking about signing on fees which are payable to a person not a business. This is a personal bonus not a market transaction.

And the signing on fee will reflect whatever the market value is or would have been had the player been under contract. Jeezo.

If it's pedantry you're into I'll leave you to it. 👍

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    The days of the old firm nicking any of our players on the cheap or beating us to signings are over.

They've got chump change in comparison, and need to get used to it!

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    And the signing on fee will reflect whatever the market value is or would have been had the player been under contract. Jeezo.

If it's pedantry you're into I'll leave you to it. 👍
    It isn’t even a what would have been either, Mbappe has a market value without having a club involved, its why he won’t get a normal elite footballer £250k a week contract, his market value is now owned by him rather than a club, so he’ll likely get nearer £1m a week, an amount which he wouldn’t be getting if Real Madrid had to pay £200m for him to PSG.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    Who is as it that said “It’s better to have loved and lost. Than to have never loved at all.”
    Alfred tennyson.

Think you need to google what "market value" is. Mbappe literally has no market value to PSG. A "market" is a place where commodities, in this case footballers, are bought and sold for a price.

You're talking about signing on fees which are payable to a person not a business. This is a personal bonus not a market transaction.

What a complete and utter pile of tripe.

The player has a market value. He is the asset. He can sell his 'product' to any club he wishes to at the end of the season. The value of the contract being offered will be based on a market value.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    It isn’t even a what would have been either, Mbappe has a market value without having a club involved, its why he won’t get a normal elite footballer £250k a week contract, his market value is now owned by him rather than a club, so he’ll likely get nearer £1m a week, an amount which he wouldn’t be getting if Real Madrid had to pay £200m for him to PSG.
    Thank you! 😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post

The player has a market value. He is the asset. He can sell his 'product' to any club he wishes to at the end of the season. The value of the contract being offered will be based on a market value.
    Exactly. Think HV needs to do a wee investigation into how these things actually work.

Haaland went to City for 60 million euros. That isn't what he cost City. It was double that, at least. His market value was way higher than the set fee Dortmund got. He knew it, City knew it, his agent certainly knew it. It's how things work. I really didn't think this stuff was very complex.

At his age , I wonder if he would just want to play football.
    In the past, exceptional players had their salary paid by a benifactor.
    I think George Best had his wages paid by our chairman at the time, outwith the normal budget.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

A player's market value is the amount they can expect to sell themselves for.

In the same way, you have a market value, in that you can sell yourself to a potential employer for a salary of £x.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Exactly. Think HV needs to do a wee investigation into how these things actually work.

Haaland went to City for 60 million euros. That isn't what he cost City. It was double that, at least. His market value was way higher than the set fee Dortmund got. He knew it, City knew it, his agent certainly knew it. It's how things work. I really didn't think this stuff was very complex.
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    A player's market value is the amount they can expect to sell themselves for.

In the same way, you have a market value, in that you can sell yourself to a potential employer for a salary of £x.
    I completely understand where you are all coming from, my initial point was that his market value is £0 to the selling club so we could offer him a signing on fee. That is literally his market value. Any signing on fee is then at the discretion of the club or clubs chasing him. We don't have to pay a "market value" to get access to contract negotiations - that was my first point and it was then suggested his market value is 5-10m. It's clearly not, you could call it tripe Sioux

Anyway it's been lovely chatting, hopefully we can offer him the best contractual terms that we can conjour up and give him a decision to make. If Celtic or Rangers come in as suggested we've no chance regardless of anyone's interpretation of his market value.

I completely understand where you are all coming from, my initial point was that his market value is £0 to the selling club so we could offer him a signing on fee. That is literally his market value. Any signing on fee is then at the discretion of the club or clubs chasing him. We don't have to pay a "market value" to get access to contract negotiations - that was my first point and it was then suggested his market value is 5-10m. It's clearly not, you could call it tripe Sioux

Anyway it's been lovely chatting, hopefully we can offer him the best contractual terms that we can conjour up and give him a decision to make. If Celtic or Rangers come in as suggested we've no chance regardless of anyone's interpretation of his market value.
    It absolutely is if that's what he expects to earn over the course of a contract.

That's his value, in the market-place. The definition of market value.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 01-03-2024 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It absolutely is if that's what he expects to earn over the course of a contract.

That's his value, in the market-place. The definition of market value.
    I'll settle on market value being transfer fee + expected income then.

FWIW, I still think 5m is wrong as that's 32k a week over 3 seasons - the upper limit quoted was 10m which is way out the box for him. His reported wages online (not necessarily accurate) are 18k p/w. There is no chance he's getting that on his next contract IMO.

I love it when financial services employees get into a semantic bunfight. The most ‘Edinburgh’ thing ever

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I love it when financial services employees get into a semantic bunfight. The most ‘Edinburgh’ thing ever
    I work in wholesale don't lump me in financial services!!

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Not sure I’ve ever heard a real world conversation between football fans use the term market value as anything other than a synonym for potential transfer fee.

I work in wholesale don't lump me in financial services!!
    Me neither

I'll settle on market value being transfer fee + expected income then.

FWIW, I still think 5m is wrong as that's 32k a week over 3 seasons - the upper limit quoted was 10m which is way out the box for him. His reported wages online (not necessarily accurate) are 18k p/w. There is no chance he's getting that on his next contract IMO.
    He’ll have good offers in the summer but it’s not going to be Premier League wages or even top Championship wages. He’s not played that much football down there, partly down to injury and partly down to just not playing by the looks of it. We know we’re ambitious so I reckon we could possibly do something financially that won’t be a million miles from what he might be getting offered elsewhere. At his age and with the last couple of years he’s had, think he’s got a pretty big football decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Not sure I’ve ever heard a real world conversation between football fans use the term market value as anything other than a synonym for potential transfer fee.
    Not sure I’ve ever heard a real world conversation between football fans use the term market value, full stop!

Mind you, I’ve never heard anyone talk about ‘the yams’ or our ‘ponzi scheme’ in real life either.

.. and I DO work in financial services.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Q-What is the definition of a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing?

A-a cynic. Or a few amateur football commentators i know

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
    Marcondes is 29 in a couple of weeks and out of contract in the summer.

He's played for:
    Nordsjaelland
    Brentford
    Midtjylland (loan)
    Bournemouth
    Nordsjaelland (loan)
    and Hibs(loan)

You could probably argue that Hibs are the "biggest" club he's play for.

This summer could be his last big contract.

I think there is a route for that to come from the black knights group in some shape or form and see him in a Hibs shirt next season, even if it is unlikely.

What? Are you nuts? He's played for Bournemouth who are a premier league outfit. We are struggling to make the top 6 of a pish league at present. Hibs are in no way a bigger club than Bournemouth.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

He could walk into a championship team tomorrow for about 15k per week with the view of getting in the playoffs.

No danger we’ll get him imo.

I’m sure he’ll love his time here etc but he seems a guy that will want to play at the highest level he can.

@hibs.net private member
    Could be a good avenue for us. Last 6 months of your contract do you want to get the odd bench appearance in the EPL and try for a contract somewhere or shine at Hibs and get a better deal somewhere. Even if he goes to a decent championship side could encourage more than youngsters to come up here, have fun playing and get in the shop window whilst match fit. They will be a level above what we could afford without the link-up

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    What? Are you nuts? He's played for Bournemouth who are a premier league outfit. We are struggling to make the top 6 of a pish league at present. Hibs are in no way a bigger club than Bournemouth.
    Absolutely correct.

Apart from Celtic and Rangers (even that pair are a stretch on his comment), no club in Scotland is bigger than any club in the English Premier League.

And, to be honest, most clubs in the English Championship either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrows tongue View Post
    Absolutely correct.

Apart from Celtic and Rangers (even that pair are a stretch on his comment), no club in Scotland is bigger than any club in the English Premier League.

Depends what language you use.

Bournemouth are no doubt a bigger business but as a football club, Hibs are bigger. Culturally, historically, fan base.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrows tongue View Post
    Absolutely correct.

Surely depends on how you define “bigger club” though? If it means having more money then aye you’re right. If it means history, honours, bigger stadium etc then Hibs are a lot bigger than the likes of Bournemouth

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    Surely depends on how you define “bigger club” though? If it means having more money then aye you’re right. If it means history, honours, bigger stadium etc then Hibs are a lot bigger than the likes of Bournemouth
    No one signs for a club because of stadium size or what they did in the 70s. Its completely about wage packet, well for 99.9% of players

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    No one signs for a club because of stadium size or what they did in the 70s. Its completely about wage packet, well for 99.9% of players
    Yes, but that's business at the moment. Bournemouth aren't a bigger football club. Unless all you care about the sport is the teams' current budget.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    in no way bigger? Apart from a bigger stadium, larger fan base and more trophies no way bigger you mean?