hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Regular leithsansiro's Avatar

Best Midfield Combination?

I think pretty much all of us agree that our midfield is looking in better shape since the January reinforcements, but what is our best combination?

Personally, I think Marcondes in 10 role offers a huge amount of offensively, but what do we need behind him? How do we get the best setup of runners, tacklers and distributers in our engine room?

I think we've actually, in theory, probably got one of the best collection of midfielders outwith the OF. Arguably, I'd think that any of Newall, Moriah-Welsh, Amos and Levitt (despite his faults being exposed in a 2) would walk into any of SPFL team's starting lining up

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leithsansiro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think pretty much all of us agree that our midfield is looking in better shape since the January reinforcements, but what is our best combination?

Personally, I think Marcondes in 10 role offers a huge amount of offensively, but what do we need behind him? How do we get the best setup of runners, tacklers and distributers in our engine room?

I think we've actually, in theory, probably got one of the best collection of midfielders outwith the OF. Arguably, I'd think that any of Newall, Moriah-Welsh, Amos and Levitt (despite his faults being exposed in a 2) would walk into any of SPFL team's starting lining up

Thoughts?
    Levitt would certainly walk everywhere.

@hibs.net private member
    As long as they all stay fit I reckon it will pretty much be Newell, NMW and Marcondes as our starting 3 for the rest of the season

But great to have options there for making any necessary changes. Didn’t really get the point in NMW going off again yesterday

Welsh Newell Emi is as good as mid 3 as we’ve had for a long long time. Emi for me is possibly the best footballer we’ve seen in a hibs top. Hes actually slowing down his game to fit with us.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Welsh Newell Emi is as good as mid 3 as we’ve had for a long long time. Emi for me is possibly the best footballer we’ve seen in a hibs top. Hes actually slowing down his game to fit with us.
    What about Amos? Is he any nearer to full fitness? I’m presuming that’s the reason for him being on the bench as opposed to being a starter? That said, Newell, NMW and Emi would be hard to drop.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

He's the best footballer we have had since Sauzee. His reading of the game is perfection. Streets ahead of everyone else.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesdaft16 View Post
    He's the best footballer we have had since Sauzee. His reading of the game is perfection. Streets ahead of everyone else.
    Hmmm ! Not seen enough of him to compare him with Sauzee just yet ?

Can I take a rain check on that and come back to you once he is up to speed as I feel there is more to come but Le God is a massive leap
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-02-2024 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Hmmm ! Not seen enough of him to compare him with Sauzee just yet ?

Can I take a rain cheque on that and come back to you once he is up to speed as I feel there is more to come but Le God is a massive leap

Since

His footballing brain is exceptional. A better Boozy imo and that is some going.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Since

His footballing brain is exceptional. A better Boozy imo and that is some going.
    Definitely got something about him looks a class above our level but still early days

I liked the way he took his goal against Aberdeen and the effortless way he drifts past players and picks out a pass

I was in the Club Shop last week and there were two Danish tourists buying a Hibs top with his name on the back to them he was a hero

I had to point out he has Emiliano above his number as the guy had set up Marcondes

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    What about Amos? Is he any nearer to full fitness? I’m presuming that’s the reason for him being on the bench as opposed to being a starter? That said, Newell, NMW and Emi would be hard to drop.
    Welsh is better than Amos for me. More athletic. Which allows Newell the freedom to play.

I don’t want to blame it on Amos but we definitely wobbled a bit yesterday when Moriah-Welsh went off, before getting it together again.

It was good to see Newell in a midfield with a bit more help for him. It actually defies belief that we’ve played a 442 with only Newell and Levitt in the midfield for so much of this season. It looked miles better yesterday.

Behave. Did John Mcginn play snooker?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Looks like Amos is still getting up to speed and we might not see the best of him until next season. The trio who started yesterday appears the best combo for most matches. Emi has another gear or two in him. I just hope he cracks in a couple of free-kicks before he departs. Wednesday would be a good time to start…

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He’s technically miles ahead of John McGinn that played for hibs.

John McGinn wasn't at the Premiership level he is at now when he played for us.

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Definitely got something about him looks a class above our level but still early days

I liked the way he took his goal against Aberdeen and the effortless way he drifts past players and picks out a pass

I was in the Club Shop last week and there were two Danish tourists buying a Hibs top with his name on the back to them he was a hero

I had to point out he has Emiliano above his number as the guy had set up Marcondes

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    John McGinn wasn't at the Premiership level he is at now when he played for us.
    Emi is miles ahead of the John McGinn that first came to Hibs. But it was clear as day by the end he was a step above us and needed a move to a bigger club.

Yesterday’s team is our current best XI for me.

I was previously of the opinion that Hanlon was a better partner for Fish but Rocky did well yesterday so probably edges that one.

Leaves a bit of quality on the bench too.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Emi is miles ahead of the John McGinn that first came to Hibs. But it was clear as day by the end he was a step above us and needed a move to a bigger club.
    I don't believe SJM was ever at the level technically or footballing brain wise Marcondes is at just now when at Hibernian. The guy is exceptional ability wise.

Emi will never have an arse the size of McGinn’s.

We’re doing SJM a great disservice not taking into consideration his greatest asset.

Not so sure. Maybe looks flashier. Yet to see him get it and really run with it, beat players.

Rather have Scott Allan at his best based on what we've seen this far. Although I know it's early and he's not fully fit yet.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Emi will never have an arse the size of McGinn’s.

We’re doing SJM a great disservice not taking into consideration his greatest asset.
    The most famous ASSet in British football

McGinn's biggest attribute was never his technically ability, although it's improved at Villa. I'd argue that Scott Allan technically was superior to McGinn.

The head flick to Vente was absolutely sublime and allowed Vente to set up Moalida for the 2nd, Emi is pure class.

Start the same midfield as yesterday. BUT you just know that lot will be sent out to snap emi on Wednesday.

The three who played yesterday are the best balanced midfield we’ve had in ages. I think Amos will be an asset as well although I thought bringing him on when we did was a sub for the sake of a sub.

Not so sure. Maybe looks flashier. Yet to see him get it and really run with it, beat players.

Rather have Scott Allan at his best based on what we've seen this far. Although I know it's early and he's not fully fit yet.
    I’ll disagree quite strongly. I don’t want him running past players tbh. The balls faster than any player. Scott Allan played some sublime football at times but his all round game was never at the level of Emi.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    The three who played yesterday are the best balanced midfield we’ve had in ages. I think Amos will be an asset as well although I thought bringing him on when we did was a sub for the sake of a sub.
    Yeh. For me it’s the best midfield we have had since McGinn, Dylan, Allan.

I’ll disagree quite strongly. I don’t want him running past players tbh. The balls faster than any player. Scott Allan played some sublime football at times but his all round game was never at the level of Emi.
    Clearly Marcondes has had the better career and he’s a phenomenal player on his day. But judging in terms of average performance for Hibs, there is no comparison. Allan and McGinn were out of sight.

Marcondes has done ok so far, nothing more. I’m sure he can play much much better, hopefully we’ll seen that soon as he gets on the same wavelength as some of his team mates