hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Trevor Carson

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Trevor Carson

One of the worst goalkeeping mistakes I've ever seen at the football, followed by arguably a MOM performance. What a day he's had.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the worst goalkeeping mistakes I've ever seen at the football, followed by arguably a MOM performance. What a day he's had.
    Aye was thinking that.

Hibs had 9 shots on target today and we only scored 2, with a string of good saves from Carson. Dundee had 1 shot on target and scored from it..........

It wasn't a howler from Marshall but having seen it back I think it's saveable. We need to sort the goalie position out next season for sure.

There was a few rumours of us being interested in him in January.

Can see us signing Will Dennis in the summer however

Zibbi-esq. He had a great game the first home game too. Could be a good back up to a new number one.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Aye was thinking that.

Hibs had 9 shots on target today and we only scored 2, with a string of good saves from Carson. Dundee had 1 shot on target and scored from it..........

It wasn't a howler from Marshall but having seen it back I think it's saveable. We need to sort the goalie position out next season for sure.
    I’m not Marshall’s biggest fan but I think you’re being a tad harsh on him. I think it was a fantastic strike that came through a cluster of players. I don’t think you can lay any blame on him for this one. I agree that we need to sort out our goalkeeping position for next season though.

Aye was thinking that.

No chance you can blame Marshall for that. In fact he's been the of our best players this last 3 months. I'm not sure what needs sorted out.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    No chance you can blame Marshall for that. In fact he's been the of our best players this last 3 months. I'm not sure what needs sorted out.
    Agree with this.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Can't believe he wasn't even booked at the penalty

As big as a mistake it was

If Carson was the long term replacement for Marshall I’d be very happy

Good shot stopper

@hibs.net private member Berwickhibby's Avatar
    Cannot understand why Carson was not booked for the foul. Plus I was shocked Brother Beaton gave it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

Good shot stopper
    He's 36 next month mate.

Good keeper but he’s nearly 36. Not exactly a long term replacement.

Plus he’s number one at Dundee. He’s not going to come to us to sit on the bench

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Agreed. With that I think we need a new goalie in the Summer but Marshall has been a lot better this season than last.

Wouldn't say he's been out best player mind. That would be Obita without question. Regardless it's funny that we would pick two players as our best in recent times and they're still part of a defence that haven't kept a clean sheet outside 1 cup game against Forfar in almost 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    I’m not Marshall’s biggest fan but I think you’re being a tad harsh on him. I think it was a fantastic strike that came through a cluster of players. I don’t think you can lay any blame on him for this one. I agree that we need to sort out our goalkeeping position for next season though.
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Agree with this.
    As I said def not a howler, but having watched it several times I feel a top spfl keeper could have stopped that. Certainly not in the "keeper had no chance" category.

The shot, whilst a good strike, doesn't go right in the corner - it goes past Marshall very centrally and almost under his hand as this pic shows:

Screenshot_20240225_114730_BBC iPlayer.jpg

He has been much better recently, but before that he had been ropey for some time. He isn't getting any younger, I think it was commonly accepted that we should be looking for a replacement. I'd be amazed if we weren't.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 25-02-2024 at 11:10 AM.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    As I said def not a howler, but having watched it several times I feel a top spfl keeper could have stopped that. Certainly not in the "keeper had no chance" category.

The shot, whilst a good strike, doesn't go right in the corner - it goes past Marshall very centrally and almost under his hand as this pic shows:

He has been much better recently, but before that he had been ropey for some time. He isn't getting any younger, I I think it was commonly accepted that we should be looking for a replacement. I'd be amazed if we weren't.
    I agree with you. So many goals we concede I find myself thinking ‘could Marshall have done better there?’

Maybe I’m just being harsh on him.

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Good keeper but he’s nearly 36. Not exactly a long term replacement.

Plus he’s number one at Dundee. He’s not going to come to us to sit on the bench
    Christ never realised he was wrong side of 30

Left by mutual consent!
    It’s a game of two halves, gov.

He has been much better recently, but before that he had been ropey for some time. He isn't getting any younger, I think it was commonly accepted that we should be looking for a replacement. I'd be amazed if we weren't.
    Did he get a hand to it?

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

Harsh at least 4 players (all Hibs) in his eyeline. Saw it late. If he’d stopped that it would have been in the very good save bracket.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Harsh at least 4 players (all Hibs) in his eyeline. Saw it late. If he’d stopped that it would have been in the very good save bracket.
    Agree with that. Shot was hit very well, he had very little time to react after it passed the defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Agree with that. Shot was hit very well, he had very little time to react after it passed the defenders.
    I think Marshall of a few years ago saves that.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    I think Marshall of a few years ago saves that.
    Yup, probably. He really can't be blamed though for his reflexes going a bit as he nears the end of his career. And what a good career he's had. Nowhere near the best keeper I've seen for us, but also a LONG way from being anywhere near the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Asides the mistake he was brilliant yesterday. Kept them in it. Unfortunately he's 35 so I hope we aren't after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

Good shot stopper
    Either him or Peter Shilton

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Yup, probably. He really can't be blamed though for his reflexes going a bit as he nears the end of his career. And what a good career he's had. Nowhere near the best keeper I've seen for us, but also a LONG way from being anywhere near the worst!
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage-Patch View Post
    Asides the mistake he was brilliant yesterday. Kept them in it. Unfortunately he's 35 so I hope we aren't after him.

As good as Carson was yesterday with his shot stopping, Marshall has a slightly higher shot save percentage this season ( 69.8% to 69.2% for Carson). Marshall is 8th out of 12 for shot % saved this season out of all SPFL goalies. Hopefully can improve that next season.

@hibs.net private member
    Carson was playing for Lincoln on loan from Sunderland and Steve Bruce recalled him because he felt his confidence was being affected by the crap defence in front of him. He was replaced by Elliot Parrish, who, iirc, also played for Dundee. Lincoln were relegated that season, Parrish was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Dennis is currently on loan from Bournemouth..

Quote Originally Posted by Allant1981 View Post
    Can't believe he wasn't even booked at the penalty
    It's the way he fells 'em.

Carsons save percentage isn’t that great. Bottom half of sofl keepers. Not a foolproof stat but it’s something we’ll have been looking at.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Carsons save percentage isn’t that great. Bottom half of sofl keepers. Not a foolproof stat but it’s something we’ll have been looking at.
    Carson is having a decent season however is up and down as Saturday showed. Can remember seeing him against Celtic for St Mirren and he was responsible for about three of the goals a couple of which went straight though him.