hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Berlin edges it ahead of Toronto at the top of my list. Constantly evolving, always something new to see. Always found the people friendly and generally found the food to be good with only a couple of poor meals over the course of three visits. Would move to Toronto in a flash if it wasn’t for the lack of decent football.

In following Bolton in League One, we very much find ourselves visiting places you’d never normally even find on a map. The hidden gem of them all is Shrewsbury. Dozens of historic pubs, nice walks and friendly locals. Always a case of making the best out of other places which can sometimes be a bit hit and miss, but I couldn’t tell you a single positive about Fleetwood. Just sheer desolation. Makes Blackpool look like Monte Carlo.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn’t like Amsterdam but that was about 20 years ago. Best place Las Vegas. Been 3 times and going back in 2 years for my 60 birthday.
    Went to Vegas 13 years ago. Stayed at The Aria it had not long opened. Went for 10 nights it was brilliant.

I'd have to say Lyon or Saas Fee in Switzerland as my favourites. Very different places obviously.

Budapest is great too, Berlin as well. So much history. If you dodge the tourist scams, Prague is lovely also.

Benidorm strip, not the actual old town, was an eye opening **** hole with an added sprinkle of not quite feeling safe.

Paris is a victim of its own success. Stunning place but full of Parisians and pickpockets.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Can I nominate San Francisco for both? I have a love-hate relationship with the place. I'm in it a lot due to work (I frequently work for a University, just south of San Francisco). It's a city with some wonderful sights, history, a great climate, stellar food scene and in striking distance of some great hiking trails/forests and beaches. What's not to love? The rampant crime, drug abuse, people with serious mental ill health wandering the streets, people OD'ing on the streets, defacating in the streets...since Covid, the place has really worsened, and I wouldn't recommend it at all just now. Such a shame.

I'd add to Radge's vote for LA too - absolutely detest the place for all of the reasons he already mentioned.

My opposite would be Vienna. Went for work not really knowing what to expect, but so much to love about that city. Friendly people, great food, some great bars, and if you're brave enough to venture out of the city into the foothills on the edge (which probably requires more German than you'd need in the city centre), there are some great little guest houses/vineyards/roast houses that do exceptional food and site-produced wine.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Can I nominate San Francisco for both? I have a love-hate relationship with the place. I'm in it a lot due to work (I frequently work for a University, just south of San Francisco). It's a city with some wonderful sights, history, a great climate, stellar food scene and in striking distance of some great hiking trails/forests and beaches. What's not to love? The rampant crime, drug abuse, people with serious mental ill health wandering the streets, people OD'ing on the streets, defacating in the streets...since Covid, the place has really worsened, and I wouldn't recommend it at all just now. Such a shame.

I'd add to Radge's vote for LA too - absolutely detest the place for all of the reasons he already mentioned.

My opposite would be Vienna. Went for work not really knowing what to expect, but so much to love about that city. Friendly people, great food, some great bars, and if you're brave enough to venture out of the city into the foothills on the edge (which probably requires more German than you'd need in the city centre), there are some great little guest houses/vineyards/roast houses that do exceptional food and site-produced wine.
    I agree on San Fran. Superb in some ways but the social problems there are frightening. LA was really grim if I’m being honest.

Venice was incredible. No traffic and so many little lanes with cafes etc. managed to go at a time with no cruise ships so it was busy but not absolutely rammed. Would recommend anyone to go there.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

I think that’s fair on San Fran. Was by far the best food I’ve had in the States but the level of people that are homeless, many with serious mental health issues was sickening. I had never seen a place like it for that sort of thing - although Hong Kong, as I previously mentioned, was up there when I visited there a year or so after San Fran.

Folk wandering around with basically rags as clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    I agree on San Fran. Superb in some ways but the social problems there are frightening. LA was really grim if I’m being honest.

Venice was incredible. No traffic and so many little lanes with cafes etc. managed to go at a time with no cruise ships so it was busy but not absolutely rammed. Would recommend anyone to go there.
    Agree on Venice. Amazing how quickly you get used to no traffic. A few days in Venice and we nearly got run over in Florence as we’d got so used to just wandering about without traffic. We went in April but I guess it can get a bit whiffy in the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Agree on Venice. Amazing how quickly you get used to no traffic. A few days in Venice and we nearly got run over in Florence as we’d got so used to just wandering about without traffic. We went in April but I guess it can get a bit whiffy in the summer?
    I went in June and yeah it was hot

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Accidentally wondered into the Tenderloin area when we first arrived, that was some experience, my wife and sister in law were terrified. I was amazed to see how the people lived on the streets in vast numbers and sadly was kind of glad I experienced it as a real part of the city.

Worst - Sheffield. I was there on a stag, got turned away from a night club for being to old and pointed to another one.

So I was offended, so Sheffield, ageist so and so's

Best - Altea - lovely little place about 15kms from Benidorm.

Could see myself retiring there and there are no night clubs so I cannae get turned away

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Accidentally wondered into the Tenderloin area when we first arrived, that was some experience, my wife and sister in law were terrified. I was amazed to see how the people lived on the streets in vast numbers and sadly was kind of glad I experienced it as a real part of the city.
    That’s around where we were too when first getting off our bus and/or looking for something to eat when first wondering out our hotel. Never seen anything like it, streets lined with homeless people with some desperately bursting into takeaways and being chased away as they try and grab something from the bin.

The previously mentioned severe mental health issues are evident right across America. During my travels I’d barely go a day without someone shouting to themselves or aimlessly at others while wandering the street.

Just huge amounts of people with no access to help.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    That’s around where we were too when first getting off our bus and/or looking for something to eat when first wondering out our hotel. Never seen anything like it, streets lined with homeless people with some desperately bursting into takeaways and being chased away as they try and grab something from the bin.

The previously mentioned severe mental health issues are evident right across America. During my travels I’d barely go a day without someone shouting to themselves or aimlessly at others while wandering the street.

The west coast of USA is having a big homeless crisis. Camps and tents are springing up everywhere. The downtown of Portland Or has been ruined. The state capital, Sacramento has homeless close to the state capital building and. San Francisco as previously documented, whilst remaining highly desirable in parts is losing residents to other states.

Despite that I'm heading back soon.

I would recommend Sam Wo on Clay in San Francisco. Fabulous soup. Vesuvius cafe, which is like the Guilford inside, on Columbus is good for a beer. The oysters at the Ferry building, whilst not cheap, are great too.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Reading is the worst place I've had to visit for work. The worst holiday location was Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria but that was 30 years ago. Had a great time in both Berlin and Madrid but had locals for ideas and or guides which always helps. Zakynthos and Cyprus are holidays we have returned to several times.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

I love travelling almost anywhere just for the buzz of it

I don’t have a worst but India is up there - but was also amazing in some ways

The dust in India did my head in a bit though - quite quickly developed sinusitis that lasted for weeks.
    Also a lot of the time feels like a lottery when you go to a restaurant - am I going to get Delhi belly or not
    Ended my trip in a 5 star in Aerocity Delhi that had some of the best sushi I’ve ever had

Best place I’ve ever been
    Loved Sicily last year - had a mad 36 hours there - went to Catania then up the coast to Taormina
    Also loved Tokyo
    Both those trips were short which I think heightened the buzz

Really hard to choose a best and a worst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I'm with the previous poster, in that I can travel anywhere and love exploring a new environment. Even exploring parts of Edinburgh that are unfamiliar to me.

If I had to choose my worst experience, it would probably be Jamaica. Constantly on my guard, coupled with the most extreme misogyny and homophobia that I've encountered since 1970s Scotland , culminating in the obligatory mugging. (Strummer and Jones summed it up on Safe European Home).

I can't choose my best. I've seen beauty and wonder almost anywhere I've been. I have tried not to go anywhere twice, as there are so many places to see. I have, though, broken that rule a few times. Notably Cuba (for so many reasons), Paris and Amsterdam ( I feel at home in both), and the Outer Hebrides (the wildest and most beautiful part of Europe IMO).
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 07-03-2024 at 12:55 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post

I'm in DC and, like you say, it's a feature. Some very aggressive, some just confused and ranty, but lots of uncared for, very mentally unwell people wandering the streets. I've seen a couple of situations where countless vehicles - police, fire engines, ambulances - have been summoned to an individual in crisis, and loads of personnel were just standing there with their guns. In neither case did any kind of interaction seem to be taking place. I don't know what happens next, whether they just wait until they've calmed down and let them be (unless they don't calm down and they shoot them, which has happened here recently), or if they lock them up for the night. It's desperate.

Anyway, apologies for the diversion.