hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Car Help

Car Help

On the back of the thread asking for advice when it came to getting a driving instructor - where do you start when you want to buy a car but know nothing about them?!

I’ll be more than likely getting one on a lease as I can’t afford one out right. It’ll no doubt be a second hand car and an automatics

.any good recommendations for dealers in the Edinburgh area? Or tips when looking for a car?!

Thanks

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quite a lot to consider, good thing if it’s on a lease it will most likely be covered for any faults or repairs if anything goes wrong, and will be a relatively new vehicle too.
    You will never own the car though so the cash deposit and monthly payments thereafter are gone.
    I’d check out insurance for a few different models of cars that you might fancy there’s a recent thread on here somewhere about how much peoples car insurance has gone up in price.
    I’m not certain but you may have to pay the road tax and servicing costs too, it might be included in the lease price, best to check.You may find that it’s suddenly cost you double what you thought it would.
    Also consider your potential usage, is the car going to be a daily driver or just occasional use? Maybe look into car clubs as an alternative to leasing or owning a car.
    Theres good advice online from sites like Autotrader and Honest Johns.
    After all that if you still feel that a lease deal is right for you don’t limit yourself to a local garage or dealership, look nationwide and compare deals from all over as most suppliers will deliver the car to your home.

@hibs.net private member
    Also make sure when buying a car that you consider the Ulez zone which comes into effect on 1 June 2024.

Thanks for this!

Much appreciated