hibs.net Messageboard

Hibs fans on Facebook

There was a guy from over here that played for Hibs a long time ago called " Mick Gallagher " . There's abit about him on the Facebook site of the island he was from here if anyone wants to have a look at it here is the Facebook site you can it from ..... Sorry I can't get it for you .

Stair Arainn Mhor -Arainn Mhor history .

If anyone has any information on " Mick Gallagher " I'd be delighted to hear it .
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 19-02-2024 at 08:56 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was a guy from over here that played for Hibs a long time ago called " Mick Gallagher " . There's abit about him on the Facebook site of the island he was from here if anyone wants to have a look at it here is the Facebook site you can it from ..... Sorry I can't get it for you .

If anyone has any information on " Mick Gallagher " I'd be delighted to hear it .
    Thanks.
    Good wee bit here 👍

http://media.bufvc.ac.uk/newsonscreen/programmes/Programmes-Pdfs/44881/NoS_44881_programme.pdf

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Link to the group where a few pictures have been posted

https://www.facebook.com/groups/arainnmhorhistory

Left by mutual consent!

Thanks.
    Two things:

Facebook.

abit.

Thanks.
    Played about 50 games. Like a lot of midfield players around 1950 found it difficult to get into the team which was winning titles.He was a hard tackling wing half -just what we need now-pretty sure he got caps for Eire as they were known then.Just had a look in my autograph book-got his 70 years ago next month .Might have been against Airdrie as their autographs are on the next page(including Ian McMillan’s who has just died). We slaughtered them-Eddie Turnbull hat trick I think-memory isn’t what it was.

Interesting . There was a Matt Gallagher in the Ireland match in Luxembourg mentioned and also in list of ex Hibs players . Seems to have been his only cap .
    Matt seems to have been same player as Mick . On wiki says he played for Hibs after Alloa and before Ayr and Weymouth . Part of Hibs best ever squad but doesn`t seem to have played a league game for us . Will have been in same Hibs squad as Roy Erskine , the grandfather of Andy Murray .

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Michael Gallacher was born in Arranmore County Donegal signed from Alloa Athletic and made his debut on 21/8/1948 against Hearts at Easter Road in a 3-1 win

Essentially a fringe player Michael played sufficient games in season 1951/52 to qualify for a League Championship winners medal

Having played 72 games in total he was sold to Ayr United in October 1954 along with team mate Jock Govan

Gallacher earned one cap for Eire in March 1954 a 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Luxembourg

In the summer of 1957 he was granted a free transfer and moved to Weymouth

After retiring from playing he emigrated to America and ran a bar in Chicago

He sadly passed away in the US in 1984

www.fitbastats.com

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Played about 50 games. Like a lot of midfield players around 1950 found it difficult to get into the team which was winning titles.He was a hard tackling wing half -just what we need now-pretty sure he got caps for Eire as they were known then.Just had a look in my autograph book-got his 70 years ago next month .Might have been against Airdrie as their autographs are on the next page(including Ian McMillan’s who has just died). We slaughtered them-Eddie Turnbull hat trick I think-memory isn’t what it was.
    This might be my favourite ever post on Hibs net. Thank you ancient hibee 🙂

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post

Always enjoy ancient hibee’s posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    His brother in law and sister ( Owenie and Marie ) ran a bar in our little town of dungloe called " Owenie bans " . It's were I use to go with my father and his friend to watch the Hibs games as a young boy . The bar is still owned by the family of Owenie and Marie to this day .

https://images.app.goo.gl/GSm8d8ZTLyoAwfmw5

I never got much information about " Mick Gallagher" though knew he had played for us . Owenie himself was actually a big Celtic fan and on one occasion my mum's relative paddy who had no interest in football whatsoever had been working there when the pub was getting some building work done , paddy had been carrying blocks and at one point shouted down to Owenie in the bar that the gloves he had found were no effin good for working . Poor Owenie made a run up stairs only to find paddy had knackered a pair of gloves sent over to him autographed by Celtic keeper packie Bonner 🤭.

Thanks for the info mate 👍.

Thank you for that , very much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Always enjoy ancient hibee’s posts
    All expressions of appreciation should be accompanied by a £20 note.

@hibs.net private member
    His brother in law and sister ( Owenie and Marie ) ran a bar in our little town of dungloe called " Owenie bans " . It's were I use to go with my father and his friend to watch the Hibs games as a young boy . The bar is still owned by the family of Owenie and Marie to this day .

I never got much information about " Mick Gallagher" though knew he had played for us . Owenie himself was actually a big Celtic fan and on one occasion my mum's relative paddy who had no interest in football whatsoever had been working there when the pub was getting some building work done , paddy had been carrying blocks and at one point shouted down to Owenie in the bar that the gloves he had found were no effin good for working . Poor Owenie made a run up stairs only to find paddy had knackered a pair of gloves sent over to him autographed by Celtic keeper packie Bonner 🤭.

Nice one mate 👍

All expressions of appreciation should be accompanied by a £20 note.
    Many thanks for posting. Don't spend it all at once. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Many thanks for posting. Don't spend it all at once. 😀

Coaching Staff

Terrific story, love these kind OG tales