hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Football Agent

Football Agent

Last week I was having a pint in Musselburgh watching a game on SKY.

As usual there were a few guys in the pub and I got talking to this guy next to me, who said he represents some Scottish Football players. He didn't divulge his name but said he represented Liam Kelly (Motherwell) and a few others. He also said he brokered many players coming from abroad into Scottish Football.

After a bit of my own digging around the guy must work for Avid Sports Group. If you look at this company on Transfermrkt, they represent several players who play in Scotland. James Forrest, Neiuwenhof (The Yam), Balogun (Rangers), to name just a few.

As a Hibby I asked if he had much dealings with Hibs and he said he did over a number of years. He did say he had an invested interest, obviously, trying to manoeuvre players his company represents.

He said that dealing with Ross Mathie worked well. Mathie had good systems in place and there was a logic behind a lot of the movement of players at Hibs during his tenure. Getting good players to Hibs at this time regularly worked out.

It was a totally different ball game when Ian Gordon took over Head of Recruitment. Any players recommended by Avid were not considered. Ian Gordon did ask Avid to research some players for Hibs, but most this agent said, were pointless and ridiculous.

The agent said that things have improved somewhat with McDermott. The link with Avid has been re-established, however he did say it is early days.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Good ol Ross Mathie eh

A bit of sour grapes with his company not being used?

You could also say Mathie spent money on Mackay and Tait who haven’t kicked a ball for us, Drey Wright who was poor, Magennis who was permanently injured and he also failed to get Jack Ross a centre half for Europe.

I’m not knocking Mathie btw, just that you can highlight the good and bad for every person. I think Ian Gordon seems to get a lot more than most would.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I can quite believe all that given the evidence of the utter dross we signed before McDermott coming in.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A bit of sour grapes with his company not being used?

You could also say Mathie spent money on Mackay and Tait who haven’t kicked a ball for us, Drey Wright who was poor, Magennis who was permanently injured and he also failed to get Jack Ross a centre half for Europe.

I’m not knocking Mathie btw, just that you can highlight the good and bad for every person. I think Ian Gordon seems to get a lot more than most would.
    I'd say McKay and Tait could have been useful squad players. Magennis was a JR signing I assume. Drey Wright was Drey Wright, always an odd one. And the defender has still not been signed.

Mathie back would suit me fine, but that ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    Last week I was having a pint in Musselburgh watching a game on SKY.

As usual there were a few guys in the pub and I got talking to this guy next to me, who said he represents some Scottish Football players. He didn't divulge his name but said he represented Liam Kelly (Motherwell) and a few others. He also said he brokered many players coming from abroad into Scottish Football.

After a bit of my own digging around the guy must work for Avid Sports Group. If you look at this company on Transfermrkt, they represent several players who play in Scotland. James Forrest, Neiuwenhof (The Yam), Balogun (Rangers), to name just a few.

As a Hibby I asked if he had much dealings with Hibs and he said he did over a number of years. He did say he had an invested interest, obviously, trying to manoeuvre players his company represents.

He said that dealing with Ross Mathie worked well. Mathie had good systems in place and there was a logic behind a lot of the movement of players at Hibs during his tenure. Getting good players to Hibs at this time regularly worked out.

It was a totally different ball game when Ian Gordon took over Head of Recruitment. Any players recommended by Avid were not considered. Ian Gordon did ask Avid to research some players for Hibs, but most this agent said, were pointless and ridiculous.

The agent said that things have improved somewhat with McDermott. The link with Avid has been re-established, however he did say it is early days.
    How long did you nurse that pint for 🙂

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    I'd say McKay and Tait could have been useful squad players. Magennis was a JR signing I assume. Drey Wright was Drey Wright, always an odd one. And the defender has still not been signed.

Mathie back would suit me fine, but that ship has sailed.
    LD said they had been trying to sign Magennis since before JR was manager, was she lying?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    LD said they had been trying to sign Magennis since before JR was manager, was she lying?
    He did say “I assume”.. don’t think he’s accusing anyone of lying.

I know an agent, known him for years through our sons being pals, he never ever names any of his clients, only ever says which games he's going to watch. Absolutly watertight with the info, as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post
    I know an agent, known him for years through our sons being pals, he never ever names any of his clients, only ever says which games he's going to watch. Absolutly watertight with the info, as they should be.
    Exactly. Met a bloke in a pub who didn't name himself but...

I'm Mbappes agent BTW. We're stringing Madrid along. Next season the wee man will be strutting his stuff for Hibs...

...well he will if that Ian Gordon would just answer his WhatsApp!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Exactly. Met a bloke in a pub who didn't name himself but...

I'm Mbappes agent BTW. We're stringing Madrid along. Next season the wee man will be strutting his stuff for Hibs...

...well he will if that Ian Gordon would just answer his WhatsApp!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    The old "I'm a football agent" chat up line. Classic! 😀

Left by mutual consent!
    Apols, I just assumed it was JR, but happy to be corrected, either way, he wasn't a bad signing, just an unlucky one.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    He did say “I assume”.. don’t think he’s accusing anyone of lying.
    👍

I’m 99% sure I know who you’re talking about. He’s a good guy and not one to run his mouth about his clients or make stuff up 👍🏼

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    I’m 99% sure I know who you’re talking about. He’s a good guy and not one to run his mouth about his clients or make stuff up 👍🏼
    Not sure its very professional to tell some random guy in a pub ANY details about any of your clients - regardless of what business you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Not sure its very professional to tell some random guy in a pub ANY details about any of your clients - regardless of what business you are in.
    The op has said they were having a conversation about football. And “the agent” has mentioned a few names of people he’s represented previously. Don’t think he’s divulged any details about those clients. Think your putting 2+2 together and getting 5.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    The op has said they were having a conversation about football. And “the agent” has mentioned a few names of people he’s represented previously. Don’t think he’s divulged any details about those clients. Think your putting 2+2 together and getting 5.
    Hibs have been one of his clients so he has very much been divulging details about clients based on what the OP said he told him.

Hibs have been one of his clients so he has very much been divulging details about clients based on what the OP said he told him.
    Hibs are not his client.

First Team Breakthrough Richibee's Avatar
    Hibs are not his client.
    If he is researching players on Hibs behalf then Hibs certainly are his Client. Agents can work on both sides, representing players snd/or clubs.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    He’s not though. Avid may well have but Hibs are not his client. Which is my point.
    I realise that this is drifting into semantics, but if he's getting paid to provide players to a football club, that club is definitely his client.

What else could they be?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I realise that this is drifting into semantics, but if he's getting paid to provide players to a football club, that club is definitely his client.

What else could they be?
    The aqueduct?

I couldn’t care less to be honest. Just think it’s unfair to assume he’s running his mouth off when I know the guy and know he’s not like that.

The aqueduct?
    Quiet, silly person.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Quiet, silly person.
    Exactly the reply I expected/hoped for 😁

Yes, he was an honest, straight talking guy.

Wasn't, as others are presuming shouting his mouth off. I did believe what he said and it has more credence when I did a bit of digging and looked at the players his company represent.

The main thing is that he was giving a bit of insight on what has been going on at Hibs in the last few years and hopefully we will all see recruitment improve. Most of it was stuff all of us kind of thought was going on anyway.

Just thought this may be of interest to some on here.

Exactly the reply I expected/hoped for 😁