hibs.net Messageboard

Protecting the defence

Good teams attack with eleven and defend with eleven. They can be hard to beat if they fight for posession all over the pitch.

Yet on Saturday, against Aberdeen, we conceded 2 goals and allowed the Dons a further 20 attempts on goal. We, in turn, managed just 5 attempts!!

We all know that the mind-numbing obession with slow play and touchline fitba (aka Montyball) leads to such few chances. Whilst other top six teams play through the centre of the pitch, we fluff about on the touchline and try and penetrate a packed, well set defence from the fringes.

Also, because we didn't have enough fighters middle to front, Aberdeen got the ball to the edge of our penalty box for a goal attempt on average every 5 minutes, instead of every 20 for us. Sometimes, just by being direct, back to front.

With the notable exception of Obita who has been an excellent acquisition, we have a young, inexperienced three of four in front of Marshall. But maybe that isn't the worst weak link in the team at the moment? Why is it that our centre halves and keeper had to cope with FOUR times the attacking volume compared to the Aberdeen defence?

If I'm a centre half at Hibs, I would be asking "What protection is being offered front to back?" "Why are opposing teams not being stopped in their tracks thirty yards out?"

2. Log in to remove the advert

I genuinely think all of our defenders are very poor, including our goalkeeper.
    It seems the people who are in charge of recruitment don’t know what a good defender actually looks like.
    Yes we defend from the front, goes without saying but come on, some of the pish poor play we’ve had to endure from players such as Fish, Miller, Obita ( decent going forward ) and Rocky has been pathetic.

Every man and his dug is talking about how **** we are at the defending and yet we have failed miserably to add an experienced old head or two into the heart of our defence to stop us leaking goals.

There’s actually a thread on Jambo’s kickback about our defence and it makes for grim reading.
    I only mention it in the hope that our players have a wee read of it and hope it can encourage them to ram it down their throat at the next derby.
    They are so confident that they’ll walk all over this **** defence and I have to admit they’re probably right to have such confidence.

I dont think its a ‘defend as a team thing’, i think its the defenders not defending thing.

The weird thing this season is, on the ball, our defenders can look very composed, and some of the defending, tackling, jockeying can be excellent. Then there’s a brain fart and we’re 1-0 down. Rocky is fairly majestic against Shankland for 91 minutes, wins everything against the Second Coming of Van Basten and then decides to heid fresh air and its all over. Can you coach concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think its a ‘defend as a team thing’, i think its the defenders not defending thing.

The weird thing this season is, on the ball, our defenders can look very composed, and some of the defending, tackling, jockeying can be excellent. Then there’s a brain fart and we’re 1-0 down. Rocky is fairly majestic against Shankland for 91 minutes, wins everything against the Second Coming of Van Basten and then decides to heid fresh air and its all over. Can you coach concentration?
    Kinda agree with this, I too thought rocky won everything in that game pretty much except the unfortunately decisive moment. Not sure you can coach concentration, think it's more a case of that being a quality of the better quality players, which we will hopefully get as we incrementally improve following further investment!

One of the first games I saw in person this season was Villa at home. They scored three goals in a short space of time by attacking us down the left, and practically walked through a non-existent defence on that side.

It was obvious then that was our biggest problem, yet how long did it take for that to be addressed?

Now teams are marching straight through our midfield and central defence and, has been pointed out already, allowed a ridiculous number of shots at goal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    One of the first games I saw in person this season was Villa at home. They scored three goals in a short space of time by attacking us down the left, and practically walked through a non-existent defence on that side.

It was obvious then that was our biggest problem, yet how long did it take for that to be addressed?

Now teams are marching straight through our midfield and central defence and, has been pointed out already, allowed a ridiculous number of shots at goal.
    Do we lose many goals caused by teams marching through the midfield? I can’t remember many lately. Crosses or long balls in to our box is where the problem lies for me

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Rocky is fairly majestic against Shankland for 91 minutes, wins everything against the Second Coming of Van Basten and then decides to heid fresh air and its all over. Can you coach concentration?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    Kinda agree with this, I too thought rocky won everything in that game pretty much except the unfortunately decisive moment. Not sure you can coach concentration, think it's more a case of that being a quality of the better quality players, which we will hopefully get as we incrementally improve following further investment!
    Those of us who were watching the coming together in real time and were closer to the South Stand spotted the Hobbit giving Rocky a straight arm to the throat as he went for the ball. On the highlights you can clearly see the ugly one's arm outstretched as he backed into Bushiri whilst Rocky's eyes are laser focused on the ball. Shanking is only looking at the man. If Rocky doesn't get fouled, he clears the ball easily. Freeze at 2:39 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfqhcZTaEmo

This wasn't the first time Squareheid had done it to Rocky either. Last year it was a rabbit punch to the neck just as Bushiri went to head the ball. Freeze at 2:23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSdiOGbyH60

The arm foul to knock players off balance is the new snide. Other teams do it too, particularly with keepers and I'm convinced they practice it in training.

VAR never spot it

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Those of us who were watching the coming together in real time and were closer to the South Stand spotted the Hobbit giving Rocky a straight arm to the throat as he went for the ball. On the highlights you can clearly see the ugly one's arm outstretched as he backed into Bushiri whilst Rocky's eyes are laser focused on the ball. Shanking is only looking at the man. If Rocky doesn't get fouled, he clears the ball easily. Freeze at 2:39 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfqhcZTaEmo

This wasn't the first time Squareheid had done it to Rocky either. Last year it was a rabbit punch to the neck just as Bushiri went to head the ball. Freeze at 2:23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSdiOGbyH60

The arm foul to knock players off balance is the new snide. Other teams do it too, particularly with keepers and I'm convinced they practice it in training.

VAR never spot it
    Haven't seen that 2nd one before. A blatant penalty, how do those pr¡cks get away with it?

Here's another that wasn't even looked at by VAR v Motherwell at the beginning of the season. Watch the slight push perfectly timed to throw Fish off balance.

https://youtu.be/u7F64WiYunk?si=Q3Pc6quzuLftXUO-

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post

VAR never spot it
    As a defender in my time, I'd go on the pitch considering it a personal failure if my opponent scored - I took it personally & everyone is different but, for me, that got me an extra 5% in my game

Going back to the Derby, and Bushiri missing the header (in the lead up to the only goal) sure, you cant teach concentration but you can teach how to stop the ba***rd in maroon from scoring, even after that bad luck

You pull the fu**er back, concede the foul

We have guys who lack that win at all costs basic defender's instinct

I think the problem is our midfield is dropping too deep and too close to our defence. The result is that when we clear the ball or one of our forward players loses the ball there is acres of space for the opposition to move forward into. It also means we are not winning enough second balls. This imo is the main reason we are giving away so many attempts on goal. The midfield need to push forward more and the defence also. It is most likely a symptom of a lack of confidence rather than what is being coached. As fans we need to play our part also. The endless negativity and half time booing needs to stop as it just adds to the teams lack of composure. At times this season it feels like our fans have been the 12th man for the opposition. Are we entitled to boo -yes, but we also have a responsibility to try to support the team through difficult times.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ship of Hope View Post
    I think the problem is our midfield is dropping too deep and too close to our defence. The result is that when we clear the ball or one of our forward players loses the ball there is acres of space for the opposition to move forward into. It also means we are not winning enough second balls. This imo is the main reason we are giving away so many attempts on goal. The midfield need to push forward more and the defence also. It is most likely a symptom of a lack of confidence rather than what is being coached. As fans we need to play our part also. The endless negativity and half time booing needs to stop as it just adds to the teams lack of composure. At times this season it feels like our fans have been the 12th man for the opposition. Are we entitled to boo -yes, but we also have a responsibility to try to support the team through difficult times.
    Not really .

Trying to point the finger at the fans is laughable nonsense.

The failings you highlight are a direct result of the tactics repeatedly deployed by our clueless manager, not lack of confidence.

Half time booing will continue when we are being pumped at home by the likes of St Mirren, that is the reality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    As a defender in my time, I'd go on the pitch considering it a personal failure if my opponent scored - I took it personally & everyone is different but, for me, that got me an extra 5% in my game

Going back to the Derby, and Bushiri missing the header (in the lead up to the only goal) sure, you cant teach concentration but you can teach how to stop the ba***rd in maroon from scoring, even after that bad luck

You pull the fu**er back, concede the foul

We have guys who lack that win at all costs basic defender's instinct
    Fair do's but there was nowt wrong with Rocky's concentration until he was fouled. By the time he'd recovered his balance, the gunk was in the box so no chance of pulling him back.

I'm not making excuses - just stating that Shanking knows all the tricks and the ref couldn't be expected to see that in real time

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    I genuinely think all of our defenders are very poor, including our goalkeeper.
    It seems the people who are in charge of recruitment don’t know what a good defender actually looks like.
    Yes we defend from the front, goes without saying but come on, some of the pish poor play we’ve had to endure from players such as Fish, Miller, Obita ( decent going forward ) and Rocky has been pathetic.

Every man and his dug is talking about how **** we are at the defending and yet we have failed miserably to add an experienced old head or two into the heart of our defence to stop us leaking goals.

There’s actually a thread on Jambo’s kickback about our defence and it makes for grim reading.
    I only mention it in the hope that our players have a wee read of it and hope it can encourage them to ram it down their throat at the next derby.
    They are so confident that they’ll walk all over this **** defence and I have to admit they’re probably right to have such confidence.
    Is there mate, aye?

They’ve done a right good job of running right through our defence so far this season tbf.