hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aberdeen

Hibs won 2-1

Cheers Andy. Sure we won late against Dunfermline too around the same time too, but maybe not.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Love him. Wish nothing but the best for him. He brought me so much joy with that team of his.

Get well soon Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesdaft16 View Post
    Cheers Andy. Sure we won late against Dunfermline too around the same time too, but maybe not.
    We did, Riordan scored in the last minute to beat the Pars 2-1.

Was the week before Christmas.
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 19-02-2024 at 10:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    My memory of Tony Mowbray’s time at Hibs was he was like a text book Manager always had the perfect answers and at the perfect time never spoke about the opposition but always gave them the respect they deserved

One stand out memory for me was Mowbray took his Teenage Kicks up to Tannadice on Boxing Day ( Tsunami) and Dundee United fancied it I think they had just signed the goalkeeper Tony Bullock but the goalden generation fancied it more and backed by a large and vocal travelling support resplendent in their all white attire they blew the Arabs away 1-4 on their own sand patch with a devastating display of fast attacking football

Get well soon Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    We did, Riordan scored in the last minute to beat the Pars 2-1.

Was the week before Christmas.

Thanks mate. Glad I'm not losing it completely.

In the near 50 years I've been going to see Hibs his team is one of the very few that deserved the use of the word 'swashbuckling' .... get well soon Tony.

The football we played when Mowbray was our manager was quite something. Wish him well .

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    My memory of Tony Mowbray’s time at Hibs was he was like a text book Manager always had the perfect answers and at the perfect time never spoke about the opposition but always gave them the respect they deserved

One stand out memory for me was Mowbray took his Teenage Kicks up to Tannadice on Boxing Day ( Tsunami) and Dundee United fancied it I think they had just signed the goalkeeper Tony Bullock but the goalden generation fancied it more and backed by a large and vocal travelling support resplendent in their all white attire they blew the Arabs away 1-4 on their own sand patch with a devastating display of fast attacking football

Get well soon Boss
    Riordan
    O'Connor
    Orman
    Morrow

Orman was excellent that day. I was absolutely hanging from the night before.

Jason scotland scored for them to put them 1-0 up. Assisted by future Hibs Managerial legend Derek McInnes.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    As I reported at the time, a young female photographer who worked for the Edinburgh Evening News (a newspaper in those days) described him as "The sort of man you'd like to have as your Dad."

Loved watching his fearless young team play.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    There was a 7-0 against livingston when Chris Killen had just joined, Riordan, O'Connor, Steven Fletcher, Sproule all playing like the Famous Five...
    Can't remember who the Livi manager was at the time, but on the radio after the game he described the score as "seven going on fifteen".

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Can't remember who the Livi manager was at the time, but on the radio after the game he described the score as "seven going on fifteen".
    Paul Lambert.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    Get well soon Mogga. Your team was the best I've had the pleasure of watching.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Paul Lambert.

A joyous evening. I have a photo of the scoreboard somewhere, its not a scoreline you see often.

@hibs.net private member
    One of my favourite ever Hibs managers.

All the best Tony and hope it's a speedy recovery.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Loved Mogga, there was a half hour spell against Aberdeen at the start of one season in which we played the best football I've ever seen a Hibs team play, full of one touch passing and movement, what football should be all about

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Chorley Hibee;7591159]We did, Riordan scored in the last minute to beat the Pars 2-1.

Was the week before Christmas

and all through the house.........

@hibs.net private member

Get well soon Boss
    Remember that game well big support and atmosphere was tremendous my son's first away game,what a team we had.
    Get well soon Tony.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    I remember when he was appointed and couldn't help but feel it was a massive mistake by the board to give a rookie the job.
    He had me onside from his first interview though and although we lost the first league match at home to Killie you could see the team was playing very different to the one under Williamson the season before.

Think Mogga's Hibs team was the most confident I've been watching us play at ER. Seeing that young side line up with that incredible midfield including Thomson, Brown, Boozy etc, and Deeks and GOC up front, "Teenage Kicks" blaring over the PA, I thought we could beat anyone. Was an exciting time.

Paul Lambert. He wasn't exaggerating.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I think his casual shrug and comment that “if we keep playing like that, we’ll win more than we’ll lose” following an imperfect result (might have been the 4-4 draw with Dundee) was my favourite comment from any Hibs manager, ever.

He was right, and iirc he took quite a lot of flak for it at the time.

It’s that sort of feeling that we’re on the right track that we’ve been craving for a while but not really feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think his casual shrug and comment that “if we keep playing like that, we’ll win more than we’ll lose” following an imperfect result (might have been the 4-4 draw with Dundee) was my favourite comment from any Hibs manager, ever.

It’s that sort of feeling that we’re on the right track that we’ve been craving for a while but not really feeling.
    I remember him taking pelters from a pretty mouthy minority at full time. Might have been a hangover from the Williamson team and all the soft late goals we used to concede, but there was folk screaming at him to sort it out after the equaliser.

We were still flawed throughout his time, but I don't half miss shooting towards the FF during second half of games from 2005 up to 2009-odd knowing it would be a bit of a bombardment no matter who we were playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Aye and we got shafted on that day too because Deeks goal was never offside.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

Get well soon Boss
    was at this game and mind Sam morrow scoring for hibs

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Only thing that Tony never sorted was the goalkeeper, he signed some huddies in that position. But got to admit it was brilliant to watch us at Easter road .

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Describing it as a ‘mystery illness’ just invites speculation, it really is no one’s business except his, his family, the medical professionals treating him, and whoever he decides to tell about it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Mogga.

Best wishes to Mowbray.

An absolute gentleman whose Hibs team played football the way we all want Hibs to play and who always conducted himself in a dignified and classy way. Get well soon Tony

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    As I reported at the time, a young female photographer who worked for the Edinburgh Evening News (a newspaper in those days) described him as "The sort of man you'd like to have as your Dad."

Loved watching his fearless young team play.
    In it's own way that's as lovely a tribute to a man as you can get.