hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Team Breakthrough
    Interesting discussion regarding the leagues.
    I'm sure a lot of people that call the A -League a " pub league" probably haven't seen enough matches to compare it to SPFL.
    On the flip side, most of us have watched both leagues , due to us growing up in Scotland then moving out here ( I was season ticket holder for 25+ years).

Tbh I see brutal games in both leagues,is there a huge gulf between A-League and SPFL? I wouldn't say so ( outwith the old firm of course, although Melbourne City , being part of the city group have , arguably, more money than both).

A good player is a good player, no matter where he is from, be it Brazil or Bolivia.

It's identifying those players and if they can fit in your system.

Same with Managers, Ange won League here, Japan, celtic and is doing well at spurs.

Would he have done same with Hibs? Would he have got the time? Who knows .
    Will NM come good? Maybe, but signs aren't looking good, that's on him as a manager, not from League he's came from.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    12 goals in 30 games or so, failure ?

His attitude at Dundee was his “failure” not his lack of goals, he hasnt done too badly for himself since, if thats failure then can I have a bucket load please
    Outwith hibs, and mariners
    He scored 25 goals in 120 games for
    Nottingham forest
    rangers
    peterbough
    Luton
    shrewsbury and Dundee.
    Dundee wanted rid of him, because he was on high wages and wasent playing well.
    I actually like Jason Cummings, he’s a great character.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    Nottingham forest
    rangers
    peterbough
    Luton
    shrewsbury and Dundee.
    You could selectively look at a lot of players careers and pick out a section where they didn’t play well for many different reasons.

Cummings has admitted himself that after hibs his head wasn’t remotely in the right place for pro football, he turned that around when he went to Australia.

A career isn’t a constant, life changes and people change.

@hibs.net private member
    Nottingham forest
    rangers
    peterbough
    Luton
    shrewsbury and Dundee.
    Not playing well and scoring around 12 in 30 still isnt a bad return, wished we currently had a striker not playing well but still scoring

His time at Dundee was beset by off field **** but he seems to have sorted himself out and I havent read of any issues with him when he was at CCM

Football isn’t the main sport in Australia, is it? Where does it rank alongside rugby or cricket for example?

I don’t know anything about the club he came from either, but I’ll bet they’re not subject to the same scrutiny as one of the foremost clubs in their country either.

I was singularly underwhelmed at his appointment at the time, but hoped it would work out. I’m now all out faith with those running the club, and I hope they get sidelined when the new regime comes in.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    Football isn’t the main sport in Australia, is it? Where does it rank alongside rugby or cricket for example?

I don’t know anything about the club he came from either, but I’ll bet they’re not subject to the same scrutiny as one of the foremost clubs in their country either.

I was singularly underwhelmed at his appointment at the time, but hoped it would work out. I’m now all out faith with those running the club, and I hope they get sidelined when the new regime comes in.
    Football is behind AFL, NRL, Cricket, arguably Union, Horse racing etc in terms of attendance at sports, could throw in Car Racing as well.

In participating, it's no1 across the nation.
    Women's world cup was massive boost for participating, but didn't really add more to crowds that attended games

Not playing well and scoring around 12 in 30 still isnt a bad return, wished we currently had a striker not playing well but still scoring

His time at Dundee was beset by off field **** but he seems to have sorted himself out and I havent read of any issues with him when he was at CCM
    I’m glad he sorted himself out , he was a good character with hibs, and player however the question was, how was he a failure with Dundee.
    Dundee couldn’t get rid of him fast enough, but no one would take him in this country, that’s not a successful spell with a club.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    You could selectively look at a lot of players careers and pick out a section where they didn’t play well for many different reasons.

Cummings has admitted himself that after hibs his head wasn’t remotely in the right place for pro football, he turned that around when he went to Australia.

A career isn’t a constant, life changes and people change.
    I’m delighted he’s sorted himself out. 👍

First Team Breakthrough
    Nottingham forest
    rangers
    peterbough
    Luton
    shrewsbury and Dundee.
    Our top 4 scorers this season : Youan ( 8) ,Boyle (8),Vente (6) and Campbell, who has been out for weeks (5) , have amassed 27 goals in 110 games, if you throw in Newell ( 4 in 33 games) it takes it to 31 in 143 games combined.

I would suggest 25 in 120 doesn't look too bad when you look at those figures

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ozwoody View Post
    Football is behind AFL, NRL, Cricket, arguably Union, Horse racing etc in terms of attendance at sports, could throw in Car Racing as well.

Women's world cup was massive boost for participating, but didn't really add more to crowds that attended games
    Did with the women's games...not the men's

Was reading an article where there were substantial increases in women's attendances..not that they get many at the best of times, but did significantly increase them.

@hibs.net private member

Thats interesting with regards where football is placed, so on the strength of that I think its difficult to argue about the quality of football on offer or players that could transition to stepping up to europe. It cant be argued though that there have been a few successes too, notably former players such as Rogic, Moore, Viduka, Kewell and Mark Schwarzer, albeit pre A league and current A league

Coaching Staff
    Thats interesting with regards where football is placed, so on the strength of that I think its difficult to argue about the quality of football on offer or players that could transition to stepping up to europe. It cant be argued though that there have been a few successes too, notably former players such as Rogic, Moore, Viduka, Kewell and Mark Schwarzer, albeit pre A league and current A league
    Hmmm
    some interesting logic there.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Did with the women's games...not the men's

Was reading an article where there were substantial increases in women's attendances..not that they get many at the best of times, but did significantly increase them.
    Was reading the " unite " round, which had both men's and women's games attracted a culmative attendance of 48,000 over the 12 games.
    Only 1 women's match, out of 6, attracted over 2,000 people.

Feel good factor after World Cup didn't last

First Team Breakthrough
    Correct, and I would suggest there are more Australian players playing in Europe, and at a higher level, than Scot's players

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Correct, and I would suggest there are more Australian players playing in Europe, and at a higher level, than Scot's players
    Sorry but that's a load of rubbish, either that or you're excluding the best league in the World because we're on the same island.

@hibs.net private member
    Heres a list of Aussie footballers playing/managing abroad, including Women footballers

https://keepup.com.au/news/where-are-matildas-playing-this-season-socceroos-australians-aussies-abroad-list/

Coaching Staff
    Was reading the " unite " round, which had both men's and women's games attracted a culmative attendance of 48,000 over the 12 games.
    Only 1 women's match, out of 6, attracted over 2,000 people.

Feel good factor after World Cup didn't last
    That round though was a cock up from the word go....and was never going to draw anything like 'normal' crowds.

Hardly a normal representation of things.

All games played in Sydney and was hurriedly devised and implemented to replace the deal to hold all future A League Grand Finals in Sydney..which caused an uproar and was subsequently abandoned..but because the NSW Government had already thrown in a few million bucks they stuck this on instead.

The early rounds of the Women's games recorded in excess of 100% crowd increases on last season....dunno what they look like now, but expect they have dropped off a bit.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    That round though was a cock up from the word go....and was never going to draw anything like 'normal' crowds.

Hardly a normal representation of things.

All games played in Sydney and was hurriedly devised and implemented to replace the deal to hold all future A League Grand Finals in Sydney..which caused an uproar and was subsequently abandoned..but because the NSW Government had already thrown in a few million bucks they stuck this on instead.

The early rounds of the Women's games recorded in excess of 100% crowd increases on last season....dunno what they look like now, but expect they have dropped off a bit.
    Agree it was a total **** show, I saw 4 games back to back and was probably counted as a seperate person in every head count!

Attendances have went to pot in women's game, and poor in men's game.

Back on track though, I still say the A League does have good players and they are playing at a high standard across Europe, and the world, so it's not a pub league by any stretch of the imagination

Agree it was a total **** show, I saw 4 games back to back and was probably counted as a seperate person in every head count!

Attendances have went to pot in women's game, and poor in men's game.

Back on track though, I still say the A League does have good players and they are playing at a high standard across Europe, and the world, so it's not a pub league by any stretch of the imagination
    There are far higher standard leagues closer to home to recruit better players from. It's not an ideal place to go shopping in.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by alexedwards View Post
    There are far higher standard leagues closer to home to recruit better players from. It's not an ideal place to go shopping in.
    Of course there are…there’s the EPL, LA Liga, Serie A………..and yon Bundesliega.

However, they might just be a bit pricey for us.

I don’t think close geographical proximity matters in these digital times, but I guess affordability does.

Personally I care not one hoot what nationality a player is or what league he plays in, just as long as he is capable of being a success in the SPFL.

There might be the odd decent one in this league, but if Montgomery is looking to recruit a whole load more players who are/have played here we are not going to improve.

You could spend ages analysing loads of stats from the A league, but you need look no further that this stat.

Jason Cummings & Jamie MacLaren were the top goal scorers in the A league last season. I think this encapsulates the overall standard of the A league.

Plenty of examples to show it’s a good market

Baccus - Many on here want us to sign him
    Strain - played most of his career there
    Niewenhoff - Playing centre of the park for hearts who are flying
    Devlin - Another hearts centre mid
    Rowles - starts every week for hearts

That’s just off the top of my head.

I would also disagree about Miller. Hes a good player and a good defender, his problem imo has always been his decision making which he’ll hopefully learn.

Triantis has very obvious ability, the one thing he’ll need to learn is the physical side of the game whilst he’s here.

Jeggo, McLaren etc were also good players.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I’m sure Villa fans said the exact same about us when they signed John McGinn.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I suppose there is a general issue in terms of recruiting from the A league in Oz, Dutch second tier, lower leagues in England, Scottish Championship in that they are asking any player to step it up a level?

Our league is physical, played at pace and for players who maybe haven't played at a better standard before, it's a challenge, it's demanding. Sometimes players can't do it, they find a level up means they aren't effective.

There's plenty talent in lots of lower leagues, what Hibs need to do is find a recruitment strategy that also recognises the need for established players, proven talent, as well as young emerging prospects.

The old backbone of a team....it applies to us now. We need to sign guys you hope will be mainstays, a keeper, centre half, maybe a new centre forward (I can see Vente leaving, it's not working for him or us).
    With guys like Hanlon, Stevenson, Marshall all likely away, Hibs need to rebuild. Sensible recruitment needed.

The issue isn't where we recruit per say, it's who's doing the recruiting.

We've found plenty poor players and the odd poor manager who have not even set foot in australia..

I think if you scout with common sense weigh up the proper pros and cons you will know if a player can handle spl.

You have to factor in winter pitches,nae point just being silky in the sun you need to be able to get down in the mud. Aussie league is a fair weather league.
    There’s defo some quality flying around over there though.

IM glad we got onto a discussion about Australian A league football, which was intended , not a slight on the league , although I’m still not convinced on the standard.

First Team Breakthrough

I heard on the ABC that basketball is catching up with “soccer” in attendances, averaging 7000 to footballs 8000

GGTTH