hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Defence

Defence

It’s the elephant in the room.

Will we ever have a team with a solid base? We’ve had manager after manager who failed miserably to sort out our defensive frailties.

Or is it something we have to live with if we want flying wing backs who like to attack?

If only we could get the balance right, we’d be a hell of a team.
    In the meantime, strap yourself in for a rollercoaster end to this season.
    One things for sure, there won’t be a lack of goals, just not sure at what end.
    Last edited by Greensunshine; 18-02-2024 at 01:00 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It’s the way we concede that really bothers me,comedy of errors and a defence with no backbone. The first after triantis lays into clarkson out of the pitch touchline,simple ball cleared we move out high ball in no one to defend it,second pinball madness with tepid tippy tappy nonsense. Causing our own downfall at the back.🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

No win since December.

Can’t be all on LJ that one

Said on another thread any decent coach gets us back to basics and sets up wit a foundation of hard to beat

Pointless being ‘good going forward’ if you concede at least a goal every game

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    The defence is simply not good enough. It’s not because of shape, formations, being too gung ho etc. Our full backs don’t do a good enough job stopping crosses, our centre backs can’t deal with basic crosses and they lose far too many individual battles and make far too many basic mistakes. It won’t change until we get two aggressive centre backs who enjoy heading the ball and enjoy defending. We hear how Hanlon is our best defender, because he is good on the ball, not because he is good at dealing with crosses or basic defending to keep the ball out of our net. Which sums up the overall issues in defence.

We just have to hope the midfield and strikers can carry the defence until the summer where fortunately not many of them will still be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No win since December.

Can’t be all on LJ that one

Said on another thread any decent coach gets us back to basics and sets up wit a foundation of hard to beat

Pointless being ‘good going forward’ if you concede at least a goal every game
    I just don’t see how anyone would improve us defensively with the players available in that position. Part of that is on Montgomery as he thought a 20 year old on loan for a few months was going to improve things.

You look at the goals conceded yesterday, that is absolutely nothing to do with how we set up, tactics, coaching or anything like that. It’s just a complete inability to do basic things.

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    I don’t understand us getting Nectar and Bevan? Why not combine that budget for someone better? If available!!!

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Heedersnvolleys View Post
    I don’t understand us getting Nectar and Bevan? Why not combine that budget for someone better? If available!!!
    Said it at the time, other than being a Bournemouth player, the Bevan signing is just totally bizarre. Even more so now that he’s injured and might never play for us. Totally pointless.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    That question is one that should be getting answered.

Who is making the decisions around what we sign?

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    That question is one that should be getting answered.

Who is making the decisions around what we sign?
    Add in an 18 year old striker who's unlikely to do anything but sit on the bench for the next 3 months.

The defence is a shambles and has been for year after year.

Successive managers have failed to sort out this mess.

Yesterdays goals were off the charts bad.

I’m sorry but those 2 yesterday shouldn’t be anywhere near the team and it’s hanlon/Bushiri for me.

Not great but I’d stick with that now

Triantis is not the answer.

A defence like we have is why we don’t win many games and are bottom 6.

Dreadful to watch

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    The defence is a shambles and has been for year after year.

Successive managers have failed to sort out this mess.

Yesterdays goals were off the charts bad.

I’m sorry but those 2 yesterday shouldn’t be anywhere near the team and it’s hanlon/Bushiri for me.

Not great but I’d stick with that now

Triantis is not the answer.

A defence like we have is why we don’t win many games and are bottom 6.

Dreadful to watch
    It’s only been a couple of years to be fair. Go back to seasons 20/21 and 21/22, we conceded the least goals after Rangers and Celtc.

@hibs.net private member LEaston87's Avatar
    Fish has been shocking this season, Bushiri can’t concentrate and Triantis is like a CM filling in at CB. Baffling we never went and signed an experienced cb who can do the basics with a bit of leadership

The only one I'd keep as a starter is Obita. Other than Hanlon, who is the steady veteran, the rest have potential rather than ability and having three of the back four learning on the job is asking for trouble.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

We have a RB who can't defend, the enigma that is an over hyped average rookie CH from Man U, a young Aussie who's more raw than half of our reserve/U18 team and a decent attacking LB in Obita, who'd have thought we'd be absolutely pi_sh at defending.

Quote Originally Posted by LEaston87 View Post
    Fish has been shocking this season, Bushiri can’t concentrate and Triantis is like a CM filling in at CB. Baffling we never went and signed an experienced cb who can do the basics with a bit of leadership
    100% agree. It’ll probably cost NM his job I’m afraid. Next two fixtures are Dundee at home and Hearts away.
    I don’t see this Hibs side winning any of those two games and that’ll will probably be enough to end this managers Hibs career in its tracks!

Monty has some huge decisions to make in the next couple of games. It’s real pressure. Who will he select as his CB’s in those two games? I can’t say I’m confident with any of our defenders, I just don’t trust them and the manager will probably feel the same way and most likely already have his suit cases packed.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Said it at the time, other than being a Bournemouth player, the Bevan signing is just totally bizarre. Even more so now that he’s injured and might never play for us. Totally pointless.
    That expectation sort of harks back to a time when players were primarily signed to benefit the Hibs first team. I suspect that time has been and gone.

@hibs.net private member
    Isn’t there any CBs available on the ‘out of contract market’

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It’s only been a couple of years to be fair. Go back to seasons 20/21 and 21/22, we conceded the least goals after Rangers and Celtc.
    Part of that was because the midfield used to come back and cover far more often, not because the defence was particularly good. Because of the 'Hibs way' of playing football most managers over the last 30 years anyway haven't spent much time focusing on the defensive aspect of the game. Hearts do, even when they have weaker teams than us, and that probably at least partially explains why we have such a poor overall record against them.

Triantis may well turn out to be a decent player but at this stage doesn't look like he has a defensive bone in his body, and it's costing an already vulnerable team big time. It beggars belief that we've gone so long without signing an experienced centre half - what is the recruitment team doing?

Maybe that was why, nobody better available at our price range.

We need to spend more on the defence. We seem prepared to spend decent money on attacking players but not on defenders.
    Last edited by 007; 19-02-2024 at 12:29 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Our defence is lazy. It's that simple. Total lack of desire to win their battles. And they lack quality.

With all the VAR carry on about pens, its easy to overlook how ***** Triantis was with the clearance that led to Marshalls "clearance" The boys giving away a goal a game!

FWIW I think he could be a decent defender BUT not what we need at the moment.

Ive wanted Hanlon replaced for years, but I actually want him back in the team ahead of Fish and Triantis. Jeez it's grim.
    Last edited by Not In The Know; 19-02-2024 at 08:56 PM.