hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dylan Vente

Quote Originally Posted by Up-the-slope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it should be missed that Vente spent a lot of games making great runs and rarely getting the pass (wingers either poor / choosing wrong options and little drive from midfield and through balls)

Maolida has benefited from coming into the team where at last the midfield shape and composition has our next club hero NMW in it... and a previously off form Boyle has returned after weeks away with his mojo back... and suddenly there are dangerous balls for a striker to work off and far less isolation.

Joe Newall is again hitting good form as he is not having to do all the spade work himself, and spending more of his play on playing passes that open up defences...

Early days but when Dylan gets his chance he will be coming back into a very different team and system for the central striker

I would argue the only difference is Maolida is actually making something out of the nothing balls.

Maolida’s goal against killie and assist against Aberdeen was down to him making it good and not a brilliant bit of play to enable him to score. The goal was a good pass from Levitt but it’s one Vente would probably lose possession of.

Maolida’s strength and ability to shield the ball is the main difference.

Even crosses into the box Vente never seems to get on the end of, and there have been some brilliant ones throughout the season especially from Obita. Even against Aberdeen Marcondes managed to get on the end of a cross and head it at goal.

I think it’s confidence, but I also think he needs a striker next to him who can either play intricate balls through to him or have some clever play ala Fondre earlier in the season or someone like Maolida who can bring a physical presence.

For as much as we can criticise Montgomery, Vente needs to do more. No question.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    St Mirren play with wide men, often full backs, getting the ball in from wide. They don't take 5 minutes to give the wide man the ball and have to wait another 5 minutes for the central striker to make his way from midfield into the box though.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I would argue the only difference is Maolida is actually making something out of the nothing balls.

Maolida’s goal against killie and assist against Aberdeen was down to him making it good and not a brilliant bit of play to enable him to score. The goal was a good pass from Levitt but it’s one Vente would probably lose possession of.

Maolida’s strength and ability to shield the ball is the main difference.

Even crosses into the box Vente never seems to get on the end of, and there have been some brilliant ones throughout the season especially from Obita. Even against Aberdeen Marcondes managed to get on the end of a cross and head it at goal.

I think it’s confidence, but I also think he needs a striker next to him who can either play intricate balls through to him or have some clever play ala Fondre earlier in the season or someone like Maolida who can bring a physical presence.

For as much as we can criticise Montgomery, Vente needs to do more. No question.
    This is my view of Vente as well. I don’t think he’s got the game to play as that one central striker and it’s been well established that we shouldn’t be playing a two. With the change in system I think that leaves him where he is, out of the team.

He’s obviously been used differently at times but I do think some of the talk about his positioning is exaggerated. You’d think he’s never in the box sometimes. He is, just rarely on the end of things. I actually thought, in his last couple of games, he was making better runs in fairness.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This is my view of Vente as well. I don’t think he’s got the game to play as that one central striker and it’s been well established that we shouldn’t be playing a two. With the change in system I think that leaves him where he is, out of the team.

He’s obviously been used differently at times but I do think some of the talk about his positioning is exaggerated. You’d think he’s never in the box sometimes. He is, just rarely on the end of things. I actually thought, in his last couple of games, he was making better runs in fairness.
    Agree with that also think some of the chat around his position is overstated and giving him a bit of a free pass on not impacting games as much as he could. Vente played against Celtic Maolida comes on for him literally a night and day difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree with that also think some of the chat around his position is overstated and giving him a bit of a free pass on not impacting games as much as he could. Vente played against Celtic Maolida comes on for him literally a night and day difference.
    Vente was excellent against Celtic (by stopping Celtic play) - but we changed our game when Maolida came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    The treatment of Vente - an obvious talent and a costly acquisition- has done more to turn me off NM than anything else.
    The situation with NM and Vente has done more to turn me off those higher up the chain at Hibs than anything else.

A player with obvious credentials and excellent recent scoring record is signed for a not insignificant fee, states in an interview what his style of play is and how he tends to get his goals. Very soon into his first season (after a half decent start for the player) the coach is hoofed, before the transfer window has closed and before we can finish building the sort of team who can create the sort of chance that the player has fed off in recent years.

New manager comes in, tries to fit a square peg into a round hole before deciding player isn't one he can really rely on right now, at a time when the new manager is already under serious pressure to get results and save his own job.

Neither of these things are the fault of Vente or NM, it's a mess created by folk who don't have a clear vision about how the football department should look and who drop the appropriate pieces in to form a robust unit.

I have great sympathy for Vente and hope that it might yet come good for him but I also have sympathy for NM. If NM finds that he has alternatives in the squad who give him what he needs right now, even if they're loan players, then so be it and Vente's just going to need to learn to be patient.
    Last edited by Smartie; 22-02-2024 at 11:59 AM.

I'm not so sure he's as good as others suggest, although difficult to tell in the system.

Hold up, link up and first touch been poor for a while. Those are the basics for any striker in any system.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I'm not so sure he's as good as others suggest, although difficult to tell in the system.

Hold up, link up and first touch been poor for a while. Those are the basics for any striker in any system.
    Nice to see you back.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nice to see you back.
    With a post that’s hard to disagree with

Coaching Staff

Just yesterday thinking a lot of familiar faces had disappeared from the main forum, you being one, but pleased to see you back hopefully others will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Just yesterday thinking a lot of familiar faces had disappeared from the main forum, you being one, but pleased to see you back hopefully others will follow.
    I'm very flattered. Thank you.

First Team Regular

I think it was obvious when he first came in how much quality he had, some of his touches were brilliant. I always like that you can see he works hard (which I think is sometimes a downfall). Multiple times if he looses the ball he will put in loads of effort to win it back running 30-40 yards, which I don't always think is the best use of his energy. If he gets back to getting decent service he will score goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The situation with NM and Vente has done more to turn me off those higher up the chain at Hibs than anything else.

A player with obvious credentials and excellent recent scoring record is signed for a not insignificant fee, states in an interview what his style of play is and how he tends to get his goals. Very soon into his first season (after a half decent start for the player) the coach is hoofed, before the transfer window has closed and before we can finish building the sort of team who can create the sort of chance that the player has fed off in recent years.

New manager comes in, tries to fit a square peg into a round hole before deciding player isn't one he can really rely on right now, at a time when the new manager is already under serious pressure to get results and save his own job.

Neither of these things are the fault of Vente or NM, it's a mess created by folk who don't have a clear vision about how the football department should look and who drop the appropriate pieces in to form a robust unit.

I have great sympathy for Vente and hope that it might yet come good for him but I also have sympathy for NM. If NM finds that he has alternatives in the squad who give him what he needs right now, even if they're loan players, then so be it and Vente's just going to need to learn to be patient.
    This x 11 is the problem with firing managers too soon because you're frustrated and don't have any other answers

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

This is it.

I don’t think this means that if NM is sacked it all starts again.

Dempster spoke of continuity. If a manager is poached or sacked then it wouldn’t matter. The footballing department is run above the manager/coach so they come in to suit that and the players.

Now I don’t think she achieved that across managers, but I do think thay is the correct way to run the department.

If you’re not going to give a manager the time, money, and control that used to happen, then you need to have a greater process.

We have jumped from pillar to post over the last wee while. Neglecting obvious areas of the team, and bringing in coaches with completely different thoughts on the game.

Hopefully with BMc in place we can now start to see a settled approach, but I’m not sure how realistic that is based on what has happened under him so far.

Quote Originally Posted by EGL2000 View Post
    I think it was obvious when he first came in how much quality he had, some of his touches were brilliant. I always like that you can see he works hard (which I think is sometimes a downfall). Multiple times if he looses the ball he will put in loads of effort to win it back running 30-40 yards, which I don't always think is the best use of his energy. If he gets back to getting decent service he will score goals.
    He needs to be a part of him getting decent service. If he can't hold it, he can't bring others into the game. If he can't link up play, Hibs can't attack as much.

For 700k he shouldn't need them put on a plate. Shankland certainly doesn't.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    He needs to be a part of him getting decent service. If he can't hold it, he can't bring others into the game. If he can't link up play, Hibs can't attack as much.

That’s the problem I’ve had with him for a while now. Straight away Maolida has come in and made things happen just by being a bit stronger and having more about him to keep the ball and move it on or make a chance for himself. I’m not saying he’s been brilliant every minute he’s played by any means but he’s been an upgrade on what Vente was offering.

First Team Regular

Still think he's trying to do this fairly well. Won a number of good flick on headers against Celtic (which he definitely wouldn't be favourite to win) with no around him to pick the ball up. He probably needs to do more in the linking play front but I'd definitely say he's still out best finisher by some bit.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

Welcome back Bud

Coaching Staff
    I'm very flattered. Thank you.

Best game for Hibs today.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Best game for Hibs today.
    Thought he grew into the game and was better all round outside of the two times he out the ball n the net. Up until the penalty though I was thinking we should take him off at half time for Youan and put Maolida central as he wasn’t doing enough.

@hibs.net private member
    He's a quality player and will score goals if he gets the chances.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Yes he is and yes he will

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I think he's a decent player, who would score goals if we create plenty.

Maolida is a quality player. His touch, hold up play, dribbling etc is miles clear of Vente.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think he's a decent player, who would score goals if we create plenty.

Maolida is a quality player. His touch, hold up play, dribbling etc is miles clear of Vente.
    Maolida is like Youan, with added game intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Maolida is like Youan, with added game intelligence.
    Maolida is like Youan if Youan was a good footballer.

Managed to stay on beyond 80 mins today, possibly the first time I've seen that.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Maolida is like Youan if Youan was a good footballer.
    🤣🤣🤣

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Glad he had the confidence to step up and take the penalty, good assist too. Definitely think that was one of his better all round performances. Like to see him keep his place for Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Managed to stay on beyond 80 mins today, possibly the first time I've seen that.
    That's because he wasn't playing as an extra midfielder.