hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dylan Vente

Bit confused by fans asking why Monty brings on a winger rather than a striker. Is this a question only asked by fans who don't go to watch Hibs live?

Like his predecessor Nick is fixated on playing up the wings. Either full backs or wingers trying to get the ball into the box from the touchline.

All of the teams above us play through the middle of the pitch. That's why their shots on goal ratio is much higher.

If we played Vente within 10 yards of Myziane we would see a different Dylan. But Montyball is slow, predictable and easy to defend against.
    Last edited by RIP; 18-02-2024 at 09:58 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reason he gets a lot of sympathy from some (myself included) is that he's come to Hibs and started brilliantly scoring 5 goals in a short period of time and absolutely looked the part.

Then a new manager comes in and spends 4 months playing him in a bizarre false 9 / midfielder role, with an ineffectual midfield behind him. I still have no doubt that he's a quality player, he's not had a fair crack at it if you ask me.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    And yet Maolida comes in and after half a game to get up to speed looks ten times more dangerous than Vente does.

I’m trying to think of a single player we’ve signed before this winter transfer window in the two or three windows prior that I’d be bursting a gut to keep at the club and I can only think of Obita just now. That’s still the main problem that we’re seeing IMO - key football functions at the club having been run by completely the wrong people IMO for too long and changing the manager will only be a sticking plaster until we can get rid of a good chunk of the squad.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 21-02-2024 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Bit confused by fans asking why Monty brings on a winger rather than a striker. Is this a question only asked by fans who don't go to watch Hibs live?

Like his predecessor Nick is fixated on playing up the wings. Either full backs or wingers trying to get the ball into the box from the touchline.

All of the teams above us play through the middle of the pitch. That's why their shots on goal ratio is much higher.

If we played Vente within 10 yards of Myziane we would see a different Dylan. But Montyball is slow, predictable and easy to defend against.
    Calling Jair a winger is a stretch imo. Vente could easily have played wide left v Aberdeen, or they could have shifted Myziane out left. I'd play Vente anywhere rather than Jair.

First Team Breakthrough
    Vente is a very good striker just ashame our manager hasn’t the intelligence to use him effectively.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Calling Jair a winger is a stretch imo. Vente could easily have played wide left v Aberdeen, or they could have shifted Myziane out left. I'd play Vente anywhere rather than Jair.
    The manager has consistently played Vente too deep. Vente is a penalty box player who will score goals if he is played in his proper position I am afraid this is just one example of the manager being totally out of his depth. Bringing on Jair after his recent performances is beyond my comprehension and saying that Ihave nothing against the lad

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He's played as a winger for his entire career.

Vente has never played as a left winger so asking a player to do something they've never done before in a game as important as that wouldn't have been the brightest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydad View Post
    The manager has consistently played Vente too deep. Vente is a penalty box player who will score goals if he is played in his proper position I am afraid this is just one example of the manager being totally out of his depth. Bringing on Jair after his recent performances is beyond my comprehension and saying that Ihave nothing against the lad
    Instead of focusing on what a centre forward does, he changed his focus to concentrate on switching with the wide players. It's destroyed his confidence. He's been Monty'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He's played as a winger for his entire career.

Vente has never played as a left winger so asking a player to do something they've never done before in a game as important as that wouldn't have been the brightest.
    You sure he's never played left or right?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dyla...spieler/369319

Jair simply isn't very good. Its a mistake by Monty to keep playing him.

This idea that in an ultra competitive league we can afford to have someone stand about up front waiting for someone else to do all the hard work for him is a total misnomer. Unless you’re a player who is good enough to build a team around that doesn’t work and if you have that player you’ll lose them sooner rather than later. Cummings was harder working than we remember and he was a penalty box striker.

Simple fact is that Vente isn’t good enough to do all the jobs required of a striker and that’s on the recruitment team

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Agree about Jair was staggered he was brought on at Aberdeen.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree about Jair was staggered he was brought on at Aberdeen.
    Getting to the business end need to forget about Jair in my humble opinion

Hasn’t shown enough and we now have better options

Would have kept Youan on always worth a goal or would have thrown Vente on up beside the big guy

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Getting to the business end need to forget about Jair in my humble opinion

Hasn’t shown enough and we now have better options

Would have kept Youan on always worth a goal or would have thrown Vente on up beside the big guy
    Agree with that both were better options

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This idea that in an ultra competitive league we can afford to have someone stand about up front waiting for someone else to do all the hard work for him is a total misnomer. Unless you’re a player who is good enough to build a team around that doesn’t work and if you have that player you’ll lose them sooner rather than later. Cummings was harder working than we remember and he was a penalty box striker.

Simple fact is that Vente isn’t good enough to do all the jobs required of a striker and that’s on the recruitment team
    Disagree. Vente has been working his nuts off during a spell when goals haven’t been coming for him, whether that’s down to form, the role he’s been given, service or whatever else.

I think he’ll be a better footballer than Cummings, and he’s definitely a good enough player for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Disagree. Vente has been working his nuts off during a spell when goals haven’t been coming for him, whether that’s down to form, the role he’s been given, service or whatever else.

I think he’ll be a better footballer than Cummings, and he’s definitely a good enough player for Hibs.
    I agree. I really rate Vente.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    The reason he gets a lot of sympathy from some (myself included) is that he's come to Hibs and started brilliantly scoring 5 goals in a short period of time and absolutely looked the part.

Then a new manager comes in and spends 4 months playing him in a bizarre false 9 / midfielder role, with an ineffectual midfield behind him. I still have no doubt that he's a quality player, he's not had a fair crack at it if you ask me.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    I agree, i think he'd score more goals if the manager set the team up for that to happen, but the manager just throws the team together the way he wants the team to play.

When he's sacked surely tae **** the next guy will have a proper strategy(christ how many times have i said that) to get the best out of the players available, and also pick the best team, not try and shoehorn in players cleary not suitable for the formation, or the team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    And yet Maolida comes in and after half a game to get up to speed looks ten times more dangerous than Vente does.

I’m trying to think of a single player we’ve signed before this winter transfer window in the two or three windows prior that I’d be bursting a gut to keep at the club and I can only think of Obita just now. That’s still the main problem that we’re seeing IMO - key football functions at the club having been run by completely the wrong people IMO for too long and changing the manager will only be a sticking plaster until we can get rid of a good chunk of the squad.
    I like Vente, and think he has a wealth of goals to score, but Maolida is at the moment, a class above. Just hope Vente can find his mojo again, after some time out to regain confidence, and composure.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I like Vente and want to see him succeed as do we all.

It could well be that the manager and Vente have had a chat and said that they want to take things a bit differently or that he needed to sit out for a wee while.

I think Monty is regarded as being a good man manager, and there will be a plan there.

I hope it is as I have said it could be rather than Vente is on his way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I like Vente and want to see him succeed as do we all.

It could well be that the manager and Vente have had a chat and said that they want to take things a bit differently or that he needed to sit out for a wee while.

I think Monty is regarded as being a good man manager, and there will be a plan there.

I hope it is as I have said it could be rather than Vente is on his way out.
    I think it’s simpler than that. Vente wasn’t looking a threat, we’ve signed someone who has come in and looked a threat almost straight away and he’s now playing in front of Vente. Couple that with a striker coming back from injury as well, it’s just a case of out of form, out of the team.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I think it’s simpler than that. Vente wasn’t looking a threat, we’ve signed someone who has come in and looked a threat almost straight away and he’s now playing in front of Vente. Couple that with a striker coming back from injury as well, it’s just a case of out of form, out of the team.
    Aye it could be mate.

I’m not sure that being out of the team will help him get his form back.

That said, he’s a better player than Jair so I don’t know why he was brought on on Sat instead of Vente.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Aye it could be mate.

I’m not sure that being out of the team will help him get his form back.

That said, he’s a better player than Jair so I don’t know why he was brought on on Sat instead of Vente.
    It might not help him get his form back but there are some signs that it’s helping the team.

I agree he’s a better player than Jair but it’s not like for like.

@hibs.net private member

He could have put Vente on and moved Maolida out wide to where he ended up moving to when ALF came on for Boyle

Blog Entries

Sorry. Ye got me there. He came on as a sub nearly 3 years ago and played 21 mins as a right winger in a 3-0 win.

Jair may not be very good but he's without question a winger,.

The treatment of Vente - an obvious talent and a costly acquisition- has done more to turn me off NM than anything else.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    The treatment of Vente - an obvious talent and a costly acquisition- has done more to turn me off NM than anything else.
    Why DBS ? DV was bought at high expense to score goals - he’s not. He’s been profligate in games, missed chances, and even in the derby when he won the pen it was actually easier to score. Nothing to do with Montgomery, Vente needs to score goals and take his chances better. He’s had plenty of them. He’ll come good, no doubt about it, he’s a good footballer, but he needs to be far more clinical and stay in the penalty box rather than wandering about looking for the ball. He needs to be more disciplined and play off the centre half rather than get into physical battles with them.

I dont think he's been badly treated at all has he?

Form went off, NM stuck with him until he couldn't really anymore, hits the bench for a bit to give someone else their chance

Kinda standard no

Considering he’s been anonymous for most of the season, “obvious talent” is quite some stretch.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Needs a reset

Always liked him and wanted him to succeed but privately I was thinking he was starting to look like a bit of a dud tbh

Needs to get his confidence back return to the side and play upfront beside ALF and Maolida though not at the same time obviously and needs to concentrate on getting on the end of things in the box more- too many times he is too far back when we are on the front foot to have any impact

No doubting his work ethic but he has proved he can finish

Badly needs a goal to kick on

Hopefully he makes it here worst case scenario he returns to Holland

I don't think it should be missed that Vente spent a lot of games making great runs and rarely getting the pass (wingers either poor / choosing wrong options and little drive from midfield and through balls)

Maolida has benefited from coming into the team where at last the midfield shape and composition has our next club hero NMW in it... and a previously off form Boyle has returned after weeks away with his mojo back... and suddenly there are dangerous balls for a striker to work off and far less isolation.

Joe Newall is again hitting good form as he is not having to do all the spade work himself, and spending more of his play on playing passes that open up defences...

Early days but when Dylan gets his chance he will be coming back into a very different team and system for the central striker

Quote Originally Posted by Up-the-slope View Post
    I don't think it should be missed that Vente spent a lot of games making great runs and rarely getting the pass (wingers either poor / choosing wrong options and little drive from midfield and through balls)

Maolida has benefited from coming into the team where at last the midfield shape and composition has our next club hero NMW in it... and a previously off form Boyle has returned after weeks away with his mojo back... and suddenly there are dangerous balls for a striker to work off and far less isolation.

Joe Newall is again hitting good form as he is not having to do all the spade work himself, and spending more of his play on playing passes that open up defences...

Early days but when Dylan gets his chance he will be coming back into a very different team and system for the central striker
    Myziane has been far better at picking up a lot of the random punts that get played up too. The manager really needs to get the basics he understands working and then think about how he can get more out of players that he doesn't know how to use. Apart from centre-halves, he should have everything he needs now.

@hibs.net private member

St Mirren play with wide men, often full backs, getting the ball in from wide. They don't take 5 minutes to give the wide man the ball and have to wait another 5 minutes for the central striker to make his way from midfield into the box though.