hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottom 6?

We are going to be a bottom 6 side. No doubt.

We have conceded just one goal less than Livingston, who are adrift at the bottom of the table.

Montgomery has been here 6 months and is still nowhere near solving our defensive problems. The SPFL isn't of a great standard but McInnes & Robinson have managed to construct well organised, disciplined football teams on budgets around a quarter of ours.

Montgomery is showing all the signs of being a poor coach and tactically naive.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hanlon’s positioning is better than Triantis and he uses the ball better than him too. The only excuse for Paul not starting ahead of him must be fitness/injury related.

Unless of course Triantis is getting played ahead of him to “aid his development” which was the guff that Montgomery came out with about a month ago to justify playing Megwa and Whittaker.

I’d get McInnes in NOW before the next run of games, I’m utterly unconvinced with this guy.
    Do you seriously think McInnes would leave Killie now with his team in a European position and with a good chance of making cup semi ? Or that Killie would allow it even with a massive compensation payment ?

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    This team are not making top six. I just don't see it with the games coming up. Unless we played Livingstone the next three games then there is no way we're keeping a clean sheet against RC and a Dundee team who know a draw probably secures 6th spot. I wouldn't put 5p on us getting there. What a state of affairs.
    It’s the games that we have, particularly at home, between now and the split that give me some hope we can still catch teams in front of us. Dundee, Ross County, Livingston and St Johnstone at home has to be a good number of points. Ross County and Motherwell away are good chances to take points as well.

Giving the difficulty we have with actually winning I’m not exactly confident but there are wins to be had.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    This team are not making top six. I just don't see it with the games coming up. Unless we played Livingstone the next three games then there is no way we're keeping a clean sheet against RC and a Dundee team who know a draw probably secures 6th spot. I wouldn't put 5p on us getting there. What a state of affairs.

I'd also argue that if we're going to have a large turnover of players in the summer, then dribbling into 5th place and having our whole pre-season dominated by preparations for that, only to be pumped out, then it's probably, in terms of looking to the future, better that we don't even have it.

I'd prefer to go straight into the groups when we win the cup.
    Ironically only Livingston out of the teams you mention have beaten us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Do you seriously think McInnes would leave Killie now with his team in a European position and with a good chance of making cup semi ? Or that Killie would allow it even with a massive compensation payment ?
    I do, aye. The day that Hibernian don’t think we can attract the Kilmarnock manager is the day we should all jack it in.

As for the compensation, we’ll lose more money through our plummeting league position if we leave this joker in charge for much longer.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I’m certainly not pushing for him to be sacked but equally I’m struggling to see any good reason for keeping him. Beyond the “we can’t keep sacking another manager” chat I’d be interested in hearing any justification for him getting the summer window. Especially if we do end up in the bottom 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    I do, aye. The day that Hibernian don’t think we can attract the Kilmarnock manager is the day we should all jack it in.

As for the compensation, we’ll lose more money through our plummeting league position if we leave this joker in charge for much longer.
    Annoyingly McInnes wages / release fee goes up every time he does better too.

Any manager coming to Hibs should know bottom 6 and he can easily be sacked.

As a club it’s simply not acceptable but for some reason some Hibs fans seem to think it is and wonder why we always fall short in Derbies and big games as we are too soft and accept such low standards.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 17-02-2024 at 08:18 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I’m certainly not pushing for him to be sacked but equally I’m struggling to see any good reason for keeping him. Beyond the “we can’t keep sacking another manager” chat I’d be interested in hearing any justification for him getting the summer window. Especially if we do end up in the bottom 6.
    Hibs slide downwards began some seasons, some managers ago. Monty has to be allowed time for his tenure to flourish or be replaced himself. I cannot understand how there has been so much negativity after a 2-2 fightback at Pittodrie, the game after getting into the quarter final of the Scottish Cup, and just before that, a much improved performance against Celtic where we were also on the end of some shocking refereeing decisions. It was a good match today, with a decent outcome. Onwards and Upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Annoyingly McInnes wages / release fee goes up every time he does better too.

Any manager coming to Hibs should know bottom 6 and he can easily be sacked.

As a club it’s simply not acceptable but for some reason some Hibs fans seem to think it is and wonder why we always fall short in Derbies and big games as we are too soft and accept such low standards.
    Successive Boards/CEOs/and managers who think they’re doing us a favour managing us have had that mindset too, it’s embedded at the club.

Hope Foley and his backers set a higher standard.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    Hibs slide downwards began some seasons, some managers ago. Monty has to be allowed time for his tenure to flourish or be replaced himself. I cannot understand how there has been so much negativity after a 2-2 fightback at Pittodrie, the game after getting into the quarter final of the Scottish Cup, and just before that, a much improved performance against Celtic where we were also on the end of some shocking refereeing decisions. It was a good match today, with a decent outcome. Onwards and Upwards.
    From where we are right now and with the players at his disposal looking at the fixtures up to the split Monty simply has to make the top six. Anything else is now failure. His position should be given serious consideration at the end of the season.

Ordinarily a draw up there isn't a bad result but we haven't won in weeks and we haven't had a clean sheet since early December. The Sheep are a poor team too despite what their gob***** pensioner manager says. We are heading for bottom 6 football and that simply isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I think Hanlon & Fish have played 8 league games together and conceded 16 goals this season.

We’ve conceded 41 goals in 25 games.

I don’t think there’s been any difference between Hanlon & Fish this season and any other combination. Be as well drawing defenders names out a hat each week unfortunately.
    This season though has been characterised by factors such as playing 442 with Dylan Levitt in central midfield, Youan wide midfield, substituting centre halves during a game, having Thursday European games prior to weekend league games and playing a 16yo RB - all of which are likely to impact on the stats relating to centre halves losing goals.

Other than the past 3 or 4 games, you probably have to go back to last season to find a time when there weren’t a few of these mitigating factors at play, when I felt the aforementioned pairing were decent.

So whilst I think your point about them all being as bad as each other certainly has merit, I’m still inclined to go for a pairing that has often made Fish look most comfortable and also brings some much needed experience into the back line.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    From where we are right now and with the players at his disposal looking at the fixtures up to the split Monty simply has to make the top six. Anything else is now failure. His position should be given serious consideration at the end of the season.
    Of course. The top six should be a given every season. However, as said, the decline began seasons ago. There has been change, there will be more change in the summer, we all know that. Monty's position will be assessed at the end of the season, whether or not we make the top six. Hibs are on the way up in the seasons ahead, no doubt about it.

Of course. The top six should be a given every season. However, as said, the decline began seasons ago. There has been change, there will be more change in the summer, we all know that. Monty's position will be assessed at the end of the season, whether or not we make the top six. Hibs are on the way up in the seasons ahead, no doubt about it.
    I’d love to have your confidence but my confidence about us being “on the way up” in the seasons ahead may be determined by how far we fall this season rather than anything I really expect us to get all that right any time soon.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    Ordinarily a draw up there isn't a bad result but we haven't won in weeks and we haven't had a clean sheet since early December. The Sheep are a poor team too despite what their gob***** pensioner manager says. We are heading for bottom 6 football and that simply isn't good enough.
    But for all your negativity, which I'm not criticising as we have been poor for some time, and the St Mirren result was a line in the sand, since then we have definitely improved, no doubt, which shows green shoots yes? Much better performances all over the park, and Aberdeen have some really good players at their disposal, Miovski is class.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I’d love to have your confidence but my confidence about us being “on the way up” in the seasons ahead may be determined by how far we fall this season rather than anything I really expect us to get all that right any time soon.
    If we had carried on as we had against St Mirren, I too would be on here raging, but we have improved greatly since then. Todays fightback at Pittodrie proved that. Other games we'd have capitulated after losing the second goal, but we fought back and earned a hard won draw. I'm very happy at that. We showed continued fight and spirit.

If we had carried on as we had against St Mirren, I too would be on here raging, but we have improved greatly since then. Todays fightback at Pittodrie proved that. Other games we'd have capitulated after losing the second goal, but we fought back and earned a hard won draw. I'm very happy at that. We showed continued fight and spirit.
    Has our defending improved greatly since the St Mirren game ?

@hibs.net private member
    Bottom 6 is absolutely sacking material and no amount of mitigating circumstances should save him. Bottom 6 should be absolutely out of the question for Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Has our defending improved greatly since the St Mirren game ?
    Look, its easy on here to get sucked into being negative. There's so much of it, I've seen a big improvement in recent games, since then, players playing with passion, determination, and spirit. I'll keep honest and give credit where its due. The players put in a shift today, and deserve credit.

Out of the 3 targets as a Hibs manager..

League cup
    Scottish Cup
    Making top 6

Surely over the season making the top 6 is minimum expected.

Even 6th or 5th is crap for the resources we have / use.

Making Europe should be a minimum.

If this club is to grow it needs to grow a backbone.

Look, its easy on here to get sucked into being negative. There's so much of it, I've seen a big improvement in recent games, since then, players playing with passion, determination, and spirit. I'll keep honest and give credit where its due. The players put in a shift today, and deserve credit.
    And what about our defending ? Does that deserve credit ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Any time a team loses a goal, the defending will be analysed. Aberdeen lost two today too. Any time we lose a goal, I'll expect you to come on here scrutinising the defence to its scientific degree? Do you expect never to lose goals? Its fitba man.

Left by mutual consent!
    Well said.

Absolutely not, would be my response.

Bakerman has become the Uber Hibs fan in about two weeks.

We are doing better, no doubt about that, but we are far from the finished, albeit improved, article.

I stiil say, we need McInnes.

Any time a team loses a goal, the defending will be analysed. Aberdeen lost two today too. Any time we lose a goal, I'll expect you to come on here scrutinising the defence to its scientific degree? Do you expect never to lose goals? Its fitba man.
    I’ll ignore your patronising tone.

No I don’t expect us to never lose goals. I don’t however expect us to lose goals like the second one we lost today, but given we’ve been defending in a similar manner all season maybe I should. Monty has done absolutely nothing to fix that and thought the answer to our CB issue was a 20 year old with very limited experience.

I’ve seen a few fans on here and podcasts totally be either under-whelmed or turn their nose up at the thought of hibs going after mcinnes.

I keep saying it he should have got given the gig after the maloney fiasco.

A manager who can set a team up - being hard to beat.

This rubbish that they don’t play football etc

His style got best of the rest when Huns were in lower leagues. Doesn’t matter one jot if we weren’t there or jambos, you can only beat what’s in front of you

He has a proven solid track record. The Hibs board need to get a reality check and get him in, no nonsense, stop this pissing about looking for a hidden gem over-seas. It’s not working.

Killie are a stuffy team but with their budget they’re bloody good and play to their strengths.

I’d have 10 x more confidence in seeing mcinnes being given ‘few million’ to spend as he knows what is required to be successful in this league.

We are now having discussions about if we manage to scrape to top six. It’s mental of how low we have sunk. I can’t recall the last league game we won. Monty is completly out his depth im afraid.

McInnes In. Some fans need to stop being so darn bloody snobby and get of their high horse. Cause we ain’t anywhere near a high horse.

Left by mutual consent!
    I’ll ignore your patronising tone.

No I don’t expect us to never lose goals. I don’t however expect us to lose goals like the second one we lost today, but given we’ve been defending in a similar manner all season maybe I should. Monty has done absolutely nothing to fix that and thought the answer to our CB issue was a 20 year old with very limited experience.
    I certainly didn't mean to come across as patronising, apologies. The defense has been admittedly a very weak point for quite a few seasons, managers now. Fish has been for me a success, with mistakes here and there granted, but the boy is a player, and he would be a capture for us if we managed to sign him up, but I doubt we will, albeit I'd very much hope to, if we could. It was a good game today. It could have went either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I’ve seen a few fans on here and podcasts totally be either under-whelmed or turn their nose up at the thought of hibs going after mcinnes.

I keep saying it he should have got given the gig after the maloney fiasco.

A manager who can set a team up - being hard to beat.

This rubbish that they don’t play football etc

His style got best of the rest when Huns were in lower leagues. Doesn’t matter one jot if we weren’t there or jambos, you can only beat what’s in front of you

He has a proven solid track record. The Hibs board need to get a reality check and get him in, no nonsense, stop this pissing about looking for a hidden gem over-seas. It’s not working.

Killie are a stuffy team but with their budget they’re bloody good and play to their strengths.

I’d have 10 x more confidence in seeing mcinnes being given ‘few million’ to spend as he knows what is required to be successful in this league.

We are now having discussions about if we manage to scrape to top six. It’s mental of how low we have sunk. I can’t recall the last league game we won. Monty is completly out his depth im afraid.

McInnes In. Some fans need to stop being so darn bloody snobby and get of their high horse. Cause we ain’t anywhere near a high horse.

I certainly didn't mean to come across as patronising, apologies. The defense has been admittedly a very weak point for quite a few seasons, managers now. Fish has been for me a success, with mistakes here and there granted, but the boy is a player, and he would be a capture for us if we managed to sign him up, but I doubt we will, albeit I'd very much hope to, if we could. It was a good game today. It could have went either way.
    Apology accepted.

You are right the defence has been an issue for a while and every manager who fails to improve it deserves criticism, Monty being the latest. Fish is a decent player, but he’s not ready to carry the defence and needs an experienced partner alongside him while he’s still learning. Having decided that’s not Paul Hanlon Monty should have brought in experience this window instead of someone else still learning the game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Apology accepted.

You are right the defence has been an issue for a while and every manager who fails to improve it deserves criticism, Monty being the latest. Fish is a decent player, but he’s not ready to carry the defence and needs an experienced partner alongside him while he’s still learning. Having decided that’s not Paul Hanlon Monty should have brought in experience this window instead of someone else still learning the game.
    Thank you. I agree with you, Triantes was a bit of an unknown, and is still a work in progress, but there are those who have come in and seem to be an instant success. Still, I see improvement overall since the window, and especially since the St Mirren game. Today was a good game, and hopefully next week even better

Apology accepted.

It is honestly absolutely mental that we are playing with two, on loan, 20 year olds at centre half.

We got quantity but not the quality we need. Will we ever actually see the boy Bevan? Still don’t think we needed to sign 7 players in the window. I’d quite happily have signed 2 or 3 less if one of them had been a centre half with a bit of experience who could come in and help fix our issues in that position. We’re no better off in there at all.