hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottom 6?

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite happy to concede I’m not one who has ever had McInness at the top of my list in any of our many ‘new manager’ hunts in recent years… but I think he’d have us in a solid position right now.
    I've usually ran away from the prospect of us going down that route, mostly Lennon, but I'm 100% on the McInnes should be our manager next season train if the opportunity arose.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    More likely the ones trying to whip up calls for a sacking in the wake of an improved spell of form ;-)
    An improved spell of form?
    Must be a wind up.
    Have you looked at the form table?
    Beating a mid-table championship team is not an improvement - it’s a bare minimum.
    No league wins since December 3rd.

More likely the ones trying to whip up calls for a sacking in the wake of an improved spell of form ;-)
    You don't think hearts fans are delighted at the situation we find ourselves in under this manager? Not a chance any of them would want Monty sacked as it would hopefully mark an upturn in form and improvement.

If you think 1 win out the three games and 5 point behind sixth placed Dundee is us improving because in the middle of that we beat a team down the bottom of the championship then fair do's. That's accepting mediocrity in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It is criminal that it's even up for debate and we're in this position. Winless in the league since early December is chronic. Is it sackable? I don't know, but if it's not then he needs a helluva good start to the new season or we're in for the same again next year with folk talking about needing new players in and the manager needing time.

What an utter mess to be in again.
    Why take the chance of giving him the start of next season?

He’s not won ONE solitary big game since he came in and he persists with weak spirited and weak willed players - why trust him with another transfer window?

Kensell and Ian Gordon aren’t blameless either, and I wonder if hospitality will be sold out for meaningless bottom 6 games, as hospitality is all Kensell seems to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    An improved spell of form?
    Must be a wind up.
    Have you looked at the form table?
    Beating a mid-table championship team is not an improvement - it’s a bare minimum.
    No league wins since December 3rd.
    But, but we performed well in the second half against a ***** celtic team that drew at home to Kilmarnock today under that manager McInness a lot of people wouldn't want at the club. They are only 10 points ahead of us. 16 signings they have brought in the past 2 years and look how their manager has improved them as a team including the players that were already at the club. Has any player improved under Monty? Jair is less pish but still pish but that's about it.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    Who is apparently worse than what we already had.
    Or is that point you were making?
    It is

Improved spell of form?

We've not won a league game since December 9th ffs.

First Team Breakthrough Broxburn Greens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post
    Need to beat Dundee if not we can waive top 6 goodbye, Dundee have a hard run of fixture after us next so we can catch them but need to be better in defence
    This is it for me though.

We simply shouldn’t need to be worrying about how we might catch teams like Dundee, Kilmarnock or St. Mirren.

Without wanting to be disrespectful to them with our budget we should have a squad that over the course of a season finishes above them and I mean every season.

We should be worrying about catching Hearts (aye good one I know) or looking over our shoulders at Hearts/Aberdeen and fretting about their results and how they might catch us.

Right now nothing could be further from the above. We are all over the place from the pitch to the boardroom and at some point someone needs to get a ****ing grip and realise project players and “might be good” Managers aren’t working. I hope Monty sorts it out and comes good but failing that the next Manager simply has to be someone who knows our game and can get results in the Scottish Premier.

It’s ****ing embarrassing that we are being left miles behind by our biggest rivals who are largely a one man team with an inexperienced manager. How many points now? I can’t be bothered checking.

Our style of play is brutal and maybe McInnes style is “turgid”… I wouldn’t care less if we were winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It is criminal that it's even up for debate and we're in this position. Winless in the league since early December is chronic. Is it sackable? I don't know, but if it's not then he needs a helluva good start to the new season or we're in for the same again next year with folk talking about needing new players in and the manager needing time.

What an utter mess to be in again.
    I’ve had my ST now for 17 years. If he’s still here, it’s not getting renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Broxburn Greens View Post
    This is it for me though.

We simply shouldn’t need to be worrying about how we might catch teams like Dundee, Kilmarnock or St. Mirren.

Without wanting to be disrespectful to them with our budget we should have a squad that over the course of a season finishes above them and I mean every season.

We should be worrying about catching Hearts (aye good one I know) or looking over our shoulders at Hearts/Aberdeen and fretting about their results and how they might catch us.

Right now nothing could be further from the above. We are all over the place from the pitch to the boardroom and at some point someone needs to get a ****ing grip and realise project players and “might be good” Managers aren’t working. I hope Monty sorts it out and comes good but failing that the next Manager simply has to be someone who knows our game and can get results in the Scottish Premier.

It’s ****ing embarrassing that we are being left miles behind by our biggest rivals who are largely a one man team with an inexperienced manager. How many points now? I can’t be bothered checking.

Our style of play is brutal and maybe McInnes style is “turgid”… I wouldn’t care less if we were winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I thought 433, 3 central midfielders and Youan & Boyle out wide was the simple solution to all questions?

Getting Maolida, Moriah-Welsh, Emiliano and Boyle and Miller (despite me not rating him) has made a difference. Since we’ve been able to play them today was a continuation of the Celtc performance, ICT performance and win anf those 3 games, while not perfect, have given me hope.

The issue is you can’t look at the last 3 games in isolation without essentially drawing a line in the sand and writing off the season because of the damage done before we could make major surgery to the team. I’ve already long given up on this season and accepted we will be bottom 6. The reason for which is a culmination of years of poor recruitment and jumping from manager to manager. If we continue the trend of the performances of the last 3 games until the end if the season I’m not too bothered about top v bottom 6 and it buys Montgomery the summer window to continue putting together a new spine IMO.

The defence will be his undoing though, as it has successive managers. I think it’s so poor it could feasibly get another manager sacked this season if we replaced Montgomery tomorrow.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 17-02-2024 at 05:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd give him more time but we need to see some significant improvement before end of the season for him to be entrusted with what will likely be a huge summer for us

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I thought 433, 3 central midfielders and Youan & Boyle out wide was the simple solution to all questions?

Getting Maolida, Moriah-Welsh, Emiliano and Boyle and Miller (despite me not rating him) has made a difference. Since we’ve been able to play them today was a continuation of the Celtc performance, ICT performance and win and 3 games, while not perfect have given hope.

The issue is you can’t look at the last 3 games in isolation without essentially drawing a line in the sand and writing off the season because of the damage done before we could make major surgery to the team. I’ve already long given up on this season and accepted we will be bottom 6. The reason for evict is a culmination of years of poor recruitment and jumping from manager to manager. If we continue the trend of the performances of the last 3 games until the end if the season I’m not too bothered about top v bottom 6 and buys Momtgommerybtge summer window to continue putting together a new spine.

The defence will be his undoing though, as it has successive managers. I think it’s so poor it could feasibly get another manager sacked this season if we replaced Montgomery tomorrow.
    Most of us knew that anyway. How many posts have been about now building for next season anyway, regardless of top six or not. Change is coming. There will be money pouring into the club, and a massive group behind us. No-one should be sacked after a 2-2 fightback at Pittodrie. Its whether or not Nick is up to the task of implementing the change that is afoot. That's the bigger question.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I'd give him more time but we need to see some significant improvement before end of the season for him to be entrusted with what will likely be a huge summer for us

In response to the OP - only if we think there were sufficient mitigating circumstances. FWIW, I don’t think there are.

There’s a direct line between his decision making and our results - odd tactics at times, odd subs at others. I reckon his fatal one (now that in all fairness to him I think he’s improved the midfield) will be the defence - the tinkering, the premature ousting of Hanlon when he appears to have a lot of what we lack and the arrogance to think you can chuck a few raw, inexperienced players together and get a collective that’s any better than a dog’s dinner.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Genuine question. How much do we think we will have to spend in the summer? Ball park. Will it be stratospherically bigger than the £2m odd we spent (VERY poorly) in fees alone in the summer or same kind of ball park, but every season and not just a one off like this summer otherwise likely would have been.

Getting Maolida, Moriah-Welsh, Emiliano and Boyle and Miller (despite me not rating him) has made a difference. Since we’ve been able to play them today was a continuation of the Celtc performance, ICT performance and win anf those 3 games, while not perfect, have given me hope.

The issue is you can’t look at the last 3 games in isolation without essentially drawing a line in the sand and writing off the season because of the damage done before we could make major surgery to the team. I’ve already long given up on this season and accepted we will be bottom 6. The reason for which is a culmination of years of poor recruitment and jumping from manager to manager. If we continue the trend of the performances of the last 3 games until the end if the season I’m not too bothered about top v bottom 6 and it buys Montgomery the summer window to continue putting together a new spine IMO.

Posted on the match thread, no shape we play is going to stop us conceding the way we do. If you cross the ball in to our box, there’s a fair chance you score. 9th time we’ve scored two goals in a league game this season but not won the game. That’s a ridiculous stat.

Not making a proper effort to sort the defence in January could still cost him his job.

@hibs.net private member
    Monty will never be our manager long term, it’s just a question of when we replace him. Do it now or wait until May? My guess is it will be at the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

Your last sentence is the main thing for me. Signed all these players but we continue to leak goals and it’s down to horrendous defending and it’s been like that all season. We are up against it in almost every game ‘cos we can’t keep a clean sheet. He’s decided Hanlon isn’t the answer and while I’m not wanting to start the debate on him again signing bairns when we were crying out for experienced CBs was criminal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Monty will never be our manager long term, it’s just a question of when we replace him. Do it now or wait until May? My guess is it will be at the end of the season.
    My guess is it will be mid-August again, it will scupper the summer transfer window and condemn next season to another season of transition.

Because whilst the manager is the problem, he’s not really THE problem - it’s the people who are in charge of the hiring and firing of managers.

Shouldn't even still be in charge IMO but I think this board are hanging their hat on him.....

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Maybe depend how season ticket sales are going and what the board think of half empty stands if we end up bottom six. Would be pointless keeping until the end of the season if we end up bottom six.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    My guess is it will be mid-August again, it will scupper the summer transfer window and condemn next season to another season of transition.

Because whilst the manager is the problem, he’s not really THE problem - it’s the people who are in charge of the hiring and firing of managers.
    If we don't make the top six then he should be sacked immediately. Kensall should be following him out the door too.

I've no doubt though that we'll end up condemning ourselves to the scenario you've outlined above. That will then be followed by "you can't buy good players in January" and a load of untried youngsters on loan to rescue the season.

It's as predictable as Hibs failing to defend a cross.

You’re probably right, it gives the board more breathing space and the continual excuse that the manager needs time to work with players and get his own players in. We’ll end up scrambling around for loans next January too.

I’ve no confidence that Monty will turn things around and if we don’t get top 6 he should be gone immediately or at least the end of the season.

There has been improvement in the last few games but his overall philosophy is still running through the team and I don’t think that will change.

I've absolutely no faith in Ian Gordon or Ben Kensell in regards to anything to do with the football side of the club. Unless Foley takes charge of the entire football side of the club I don't see anything changing whilst we are being run by those two.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Your last sentence is the main thing for me. Signed all these players but we continue to leak goals and it’s down to horrendous defending and it’s been like that all season. We are up against it in almost every game ‘cos we can’t keep a clean sheet. He’s decided Hanlon isn’t the answer and while I’m not wanting to start the debate on him again signing bairns when we were crying out for experienced CBs was criminal imo.
    Maybe we could ask some pointed questions about recruitment at the AGM?

Oh wait the now, no awkward questions are allowed.

Promising Youngster
    In response to the OP - only if we think there were sufficient mitigating circumstances. FWIW, I don’t think there are.

There’s a direct line between his decision making and our results - odd tactics at times, odd subs at others. I reckon his fatal one (now that in all fairness to him I think he’s improved the midfield) will be the defence - the tinkering, the premature ousting of Hanlon when he appears to have a lot of what we lack and the arrogance to think you can chuck a few raw, inexperienced players together and get a collective that’s any better than a dog’s dinner.
    I couldn’t agree more…..

- the persistence of playing the formation and style when the tools weren’t there to do it
    - exposing young/poor quality players to these weaknesses
    - fix the bloody defence. It’s been an issue for 3 seasons, it’s your job on the line so you get your executives above you to realise that. That is your job

But the big one for me is in game management. I do not see NM having a single positive impact on a game while it’s being played. Strange tactics (or refusing to recognise gaps) and even stranger subs. Today it was clear Levitt was the weakest player but he waiting until 80 mins to make that sub.

Na….not for me. He’s an imposter….and a weak weak person

Folk are too hung up on top six. We're unlikely to make it due to us being c*** for the majority of the season.

HOWEVER, the last 3 games have offered me enough to believe Monty needs more time. I think he'll get it provided we continue to perform well from here on in, irrespective of where we finish.
    Yes, being hung up on where one's team actually finishes in the league is a terrible affliction common to - checks notes - *all* football fans worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Yes, being hung up on where one's team actually finishes in the league is a terrible affliction common to - checks notes - *all* football fans worldwide.

IMO, I think we'll finish bottom six and NM will be emptied at the end of the season before we see a major restructure of the side for the 2024/25 season.