hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's interesting reading folk saying we won't do well in the upcoming games based on previous results. Are folk really discounting the massive squad change and returning players?

I think the Celtic game was a good indicator of our potential. Sure it's one game but it was against a good team on the back of an awful result and performance from us and with a lot of negative pressure from the fans.

I personally think the next 2 games are key, as it will either boost or floor us for the season. The way bonnyrigg played gives me hope for a draw at least against Aberdeen and we're more than capable of beating Dundee. Get 4 points there and we go to tynecastle full of belief and ability to win.
    We shouldn’t be just hoping for a draw against Aberdeen. They’re garbage, we need to be looking to win.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We shouldn’t be just hoping for a draw against Aberdeen. They’re garbage, we need to be looking to win.
    Ermm I did say a draw at least??

@hibs.net private member
    It feels like a season that is about preparing for next year. The important thing is for the manager to keep his job and build a squad. He made a big step changing systems and that has given him some leeway

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    It feels like a season that is about preparing for next year. The important thing is for the manager to keep his job and build a squad. He made a big step changing systems and that has given him some leeway
    No. We are in the midst of battle. Progress starts now and continues next year. The manager keeps his job if performances and results head the right way.

Backing him is one thing but too many games like the St Mirren one would make his position untenable.

I'm hopeful we're on the right track now though.

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I more meant if they’re numerous different KPIs as opposed to just ‘finishing top 4’ as the only KPI, not so much that they’d be reviewed after failing one of them and you’re out the door. Breaking it down into the 3 sections makes it easier to constantly monitor the performance than it would be if you just have a KPI of ‘top 4 at the end of the season’.

By all accounts failing in a/all KPIs never stopped us letting LJ keep his job if the top 4 and both cup semi finals was the target as some claimed.
    Seems a bit pointless breaking the pre-split games up in to three parts if not used as KPIs or something similar. Might as well just say the pre-split target is 60 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper1875 View Post
    If that’s broadly the results and we don’t make top 6. Be hard for Nick to keep his job.
    I don't think failure to make the top six would necessarily cost him his job. If we end up just scraping clear of relegation then yes you'd be hard pushed to claim he deserved to stay, but if we just fall short of the top six on the back of some promising displays I think he'd be safe for next season.

It would be a stretch to imagine we can finish any higher than 6th anyway, which is arguably not really worth getting too worried about as it would give us nothing other than a bit of extra cash. If we get turned over in the next derby it might also be no bad thing to spare ourselves another game against Hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I don't think failure to make the top six would necessarily cost him his job. If we end up just scraping clear of relegation then yes you'd be hard pushed to claim he deserved to stay, but if we just fall short of the top six on the back of some promising displays I think he'd be safe for next season.

It would be a stretch to imagine we can finish any higher than 6th anyway, which is arguably not really worth getting too worried about as it would give us nothing other than a bit of extra cash. If we get turned over in the next derby it might also be no bad thing to spare ourselves another game against Hearts!
    Based on our recent accounts, a bit of extra cash is pretty important.

And I’d much rather have another derby than be playing against Motherwell in front of about 6000 folk.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Based on our recent accounts, a bit of extra cash is pretty important.

And I’d much rather have another derby than be playing against Motherwell in front of about 6000 folk.
    another derby at Easter Rd as well, would definitely want that.

I am hoping the players and management at the club aren't so calm about getting top six or not, it's a huge setback if we don't get it for a number of reasons.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

I am hoping the players and management at the club aren't so calm about getting top six or not, it's a huge setback if we don't get it for a number of reasons.
    I wouldn't say I'm 'calm' about not making it, but we're running out of games and when you look at the fixture list, the league table as it stands and the fact that four of the current bottom six are all still in with a strong shout of top six the odds are probably against us. We've brought it on ourselves of course with a largely dreadful season but fingers crossed we've got enough about us post-transfer window to at least give it a good go. To fail to make a fight of it would be dispiriting in the extreme.

the draw wasn't bad for us tonight. get something v the dons, we then have home games coming up vs Dundee, livi, ross county, st Johnstone before the break. 4 wins and a draw out of those fixtures puts us in a strong position and I do expect us to get a win away at ross county. hearts game who knows what will happen, but getting the 2-2 draw there shows us that the team can cope with the pressure...other away games are Motherwell and the rangers. Aberdeen and Dundee have to play each other twice more, Dundee have both rangers and Celtic on top of that too.

what I do know is once you put in a performance like that against Celtic there is no excuse no to repeat it in every game after. I fully expect us to turn the tide, it will be tight for sure, but we have enough to get top 6 and then push on post break.

Must beat Aberdeen on Saturday

We are simply running out of games

The st Mirren home match was ridiculous and massively set us back in terms of points

10 points of killie in fourth

I think we will miss out on Europe but may scrape into top six

How ****
    Last edited by Nicho87; 14-02-2024 at 09:50 PM.

We need at least a draw with top 6 rivals Aberdeen on Saturday so as not to give them an advantage and dump us into 9th. Right now I would settle for that draw.

Dundee we must beat at home

Hearts are home and hosed in 3rd so we should be going for a win against them rather than trying to share the points. If we lose trying to win, so be it.

Ross County we must beat at home and away

The Rangers Scottish Cup tie will take care of itself. Our chances are greatly improved by the 1, 2 of home advantage and them playing a last 16 European game 3 days earlier in which they will have to play at their limit.

So 10 points with a, where the chips may fall, Hearts chaser.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 14-02-2024 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

The st Mirren home match was ridiculous and massively set us back in terms of points

How ****
    Celtic will beat Killie at the weekend. Plus we have a game in hand.

We just need to follow up two positive performances with a win at Aberdeen. Then things get interesting.

One game at a time. Let's go.

How ****
    I’m hoping we can make the top 6 by the end of the season.
    Where will we be after the next 6 games?
    I fear not much further forward but hopefully the management team are thinking about what needs to be put in place for next season.
    A big increase in investment in the team will be key - I just hope Monty has a clear strategy for building a squad which will compete for a top four place.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm with you on this. The benefits of it too, are that the players know this, and should be prepared to fight to keep themselves at Easter Road. There are going to be changes anyway, but look at Obita for example, has excelled recently, Miller looked good against Celtic, Youan worked hard. It will be a tough game in Aberdeen on Saturday, it normally always is, but as like against Celtic, as long as we engage, and take the game to Aberdeen, anything is possible. Of course, I'd like to make the top six, bring the jambos to ER and turn the smug, entitled, cardigan wearing brigade over. The last two games have brought renewed optimism, long may it continue. Bring on the Dandys.

I think the next six games are absolutely crucial to the season. We have very little margin for error now and need to be getting wins on the board. Draws are not going to be much use unless it's a point gained in a game we're not expecting to win.

We've got:

Aberdeen (A)
    Dundee (H)
    Hearts (A)
    Ross County (H)
    Rangers (H) (Scottish Cup)
    Ross County (A)

For me, I think we need to be taking 10 points minimum from the 5 league games. I think we'll lose in the cup, but if we're in good form going into that game I wouldn't be that surprised to see us turn up against Rangers, particularly if they've had a European game in the midweek.

Anything less than 10 points and I think we're in real danger of missing out on top 6, obviously depending on how other teams around us do. The next three games are all very hard to call, definitely 'could go either way' fixtures, and other than Ross County, there are none there where we're clear favourites based on form this season.
    Totally agree. For me the next game at Aberdeen is crucial for so many reasons. We are desperate for 3 points, against a rival and would build on a little momentum we have. Win and we can build on this with a win against Dundee and go into derby in good shape. Lose at Aberdeen and we are really up against it.

I think 10 points is on the high side of optimistic but it’s what we need minimum. I don’t think we will win at Hearts regardless of form as we know the script. The cup game is massive. We are in theory 3 cup wins away from group stage Europe qualifying regardless of league position.

I think we will get maybe 4-5 points, and be in 10th place. Hopefully we will get a few more and be 8th but I just can’t see it.

@hibs.net private member
    Seems like a lot of years are hoping 'next season' is better. If we're serious about building a squad to challenge for top 3 and cups, then there can't be many short term loans in the summer. Build a team and not constant sticker plasters.

He has some leeway, but that goes if we don't win many of our next lot of games. If we're not going to win against so called lesser teams, we better start beating the likes of Hearts, Rangers or Aberdeen.

My ultimate concern is this gets played as a transitional season

Monty will bring in new players over the summer if still here

Reverts back to his trusted 4-4-2, fails again and sacked by October, then next season is classed as another transitional season.

If we’re sticking with him he has to be sticking to be flexible with formations.

I think the next six games are absolutely crucial to the season. We have very little margin for error now and need to be getting wins on the board. Draws are not going to be much use unless it's a point gained in a game we're not expecting to win.

We've got:

Aberdeen (A)
    Dundee (H)
    Hearts (A)
    Ross County (H)
    Rangers (H) (Scottish Cup)
    Ross County (A)

For me, I think we need to be taking 10 points minimum from the 5 league games. I think we'll lose in the cup, but if we're in good form going into that game I wouldn't be that surprised to see us turn up against Rangers, particularly if they've had a European game in the midweek.

Anything less than 10 points and I think we're in real danger of missing out on top 6, obviously depending on how other teams around us do. The next three games are all very hard to call, definitely 'could go either way' fixtures, and other than Ross County, there are none there where we're clear favourites based on form this season.
    7 points and a valiant cup exit.

its just embarrassing if we don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by PHeffernan View Post
    We need at least a draw with top 6 rivals Aberdeen on Saturday so as not to give them an advantage and dump us into 9th. Right now I would settle for that draw.

Dundee we must beat at home

Hearts are home and hosed in 3rd so we should be going for a win against them rather than trying to share the points. If we lose trying to win, so be it.

Ross County we must beat at home and away

The Rangers Scottish Cup tie will take care of itself. Our chances are greatly improved by the 1, 2 of home advantage and them playing a last 16 European game 3 days earlier in which they will have to play at their limit.

So 10 points with a, where the chips may fall, Hearts chaser.

Do we know if the huns will be away on the Thursday before the cup tie. That would be preferable!

For years I've been yearning for an experienced and settled team. With all the recent changes and loanees we are absolutely miles off that.

Our rivals haven't changed their lineups much over the transfer window. So they will be looking at us as a three pointer. And given our form over the past eight weeks, who can blame them?

I'd bet on 10th at the split and then unbeaten in our last 5. 7th at the end of the season.

Use the Foley money to offer permanent deals to Fish, Marcondes and Myziane. And any other loanee who impresses.

Start next season with a settled squad.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I’m going for 15 points, a cup semi.

Hearts out the cup and within 7 points distance.

@hibs.net private member
    I actually think we will put a run together especially as the new boys gel. I’m also hoping that we can get to a semi final too however that’s a big ask especially with the way they’re playing.

Top 6 has to be the minimum we can aim for and we should as long as we have points to be chasing aiming for Europe.

GGTTH

My ultimate concern is this gets played as a transitional season

Monty will bring in new players over the summer if still here

Reverts back to his trusted 4-4-2, fails again and sacked by October, then next season is classed as another transitional season.

If we’re sticking with him he has to be sticking to be flexible with formations.
    I'm starting to get sick of hearing this about our seasons whenever we've inevitably screwed the pooch on our start to the season. I'm sure if we look back at this time the last two season prior as well we'll have probably said the same about 'preparing for next year' under Maloney so he could get his own players in, and then Lee Johnson so he could get rid of the deadwood and get his guys in.

Top 6 is a must this season. No ifs or buts.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I'm starting to get sick of hearing this about our seasons whenever we've inevitably screwed the pooch on our start to the season. I'm sure if we look back at this time the last two season prior as well we'll have probably said the same about 'preparing for next year' under Maloney so he could get his own players in, and then Lee Johnson so he could get rid of the deadwood and get his guys in.

Top 6 is a must this season. No ifs or buts.
    Correct. At the end of last season when got an update from our Chairman Malcolm McPherson saying it was a transitional season . We don’t need another one .

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper1875 View Post
    Correct. At the end of last season when got an update from our Chairman Malcolm McPherson saying it was a transitional season . We don’t need another one .
    Our transitional period should be pre season. It's just a pish excuse for failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Our transitional period should be pre season. It's just a pish excuse for failing.
    Perhaps they should be giving us a partial refund of our season ticket…. Didn’t sign up for transitional season

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I'm feeling more hopeful than before the Celtic match.

The remainder of the season could go either way in, nothing would surprise me, but I really hope NM can blend these players and change the course of this campaign. There's still a lot to play for and if our manager want's to remain our manager, he needs improvement, starting this weekend.

We've got options, players back from abroad or back from injury and the new guys have shown promise. Time to climb the table Hibs.