hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Paul Hanlon

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    We have zero competent centre halves at the club.
    Triantis mights actually be the worst of the lot.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Players get better when they’re not in the team. Whoever isn’t playing is the answer, until they start playing again and whoever was dropped is back to being the answer again.

Marshall, Miller, Hanlon, Rocky, Fish, Triantis is as poor a collection of defenders, collectively and individually, as we’ve had in a long time.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I'd put Hanlon back in like. I think Triantis is a decent ball player, but he's got a bit to go when it comes to identifying danger. Paul is one of the best in the league at that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players get better when they’re not in the team. Whoever isn’t playing is the answer, until they start playing again and whoever was dropped is back to being the answer again.

Marshall, Miller, Hanlon, Rocky, Fish, Triantis is as poor a collection of defenders, collectively and individually, as we’ve had in a long time.
    I don't think Hanlon is a long term solution but if he's the best centre half at the club (which I think he is) then he needs to play. It is as simple as that.

Petrified of whoever we recruit in the summer to play CB at this rate though.

Still better than anything we have says it all needs to start

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I don't think Hanlon is a long term solution but if he's the best centre half at the club (which I think he is) then he needs to play. It is as simple as that.

Petrified of whoever we recruit in the summer to play CB at this rate though.
    I’m not sure any of them can lay claim to being the best centre half IMO. They’ve all played at various points throughout the season and the only constant is that we struggle defensively and concede goals. I don’t think we would concede any fewer goals than we currently do playing Hanlon (or Rocky). They are all weak individually defensively and collectively make each other less than the sum of their meagre parts.

Hanlon is elevated above the rest because of who he is rather than his performances this season IMO.

None of the centre halfs are good enough for the level we should be at, which is challenging for 3rd. They've all had a chance and none have been shown to be at the level required.

Poor judgement from the manager to not have Hanlon start every game that he’s available. Clearly the best centre half at ER.

The injured Bevan is right-sided too, isn’t he? Hanlon has to take that slot on the left with the others competing to play beside him. Triantis looks shaky but may be more comfortable on the right. Megwa might be worth considering too.

He's fourth choice now and on his way out, if Triantis is dropped it will be for Rocky.

Just had a look at the stats with and without Hanlon (not an exact science of course, but still gives some indication).

Where he had played 90 minutes v didn’t feature, league only.

Played 7 games, concedes 14. Average conceding 2 per game.

Without him featuring, including today. 11 games, 17 conceded. Average of 1.5 per game.

I’ve removed 7 games where he played from 9 minutes to 56 minutes as not got the energy to look at whether we conceded with him on the park or not.

I’d not argue this proves we’re better defensively without him. However what is the basis that “he’s out best centre half” or that he’d make a difference if Montgomery played him. Surely the evidence shows were dire defensively with and without Hanlon and opinions are being based on who he is and not his performances this season.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 17-02-2024 at 05:00 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    He's fourth choice now and on his way out, if Triantis is dropped it will be for Rocky.
    I’d start him next week ahead of Triantis of rocky, out of the 3 he is a lot steadier and better with passing it out on the left

Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post
    I’d start him next week ahead of Triantis of rocky, out of the 3 he is a lot steadier and better with passing it out on the left
    I would actually play Hanlon and Rocky. It can't get much worse than it has been lately. Two young loanees at the centre of out defence, who thought that was a bright idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesdaft16 View Post
    I would actually play Hanlon and Rocky. It can't get much worse than it has been lately. Two young loanees at the centre of out defence, who thought that was a bright idea?
    Not Nick that's for sure.

Paul has been ill/injured and Rocky has been unavailable.

Montgomery has been able to rotate strikers during games but not the backline.