hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Nisbet

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fire in the belly and Kevin Nisbet are two things I don’t think I’ll ever associate with one another.
    If you think he was bad you must hate Dylan Vente.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Shankland would be the exact player we need up front to score out of nothing.

Nisbet was fine for Hibs but Shanklands record is more impressive and quite a bit more impressive.
    His Hearts record is bolstered by 16 in 24 this season. Impressive I suppose but he's not up against much us he? When Nisbet was performing for us pre injury and Shankland could only put penalties away I wouldn't have swapped and we know which one Steve Clarke preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Well I just don't think that model works - as it's much better to keep a player that's performing for you than it is to sell him and then gamble away the money that you get for him. What have we done with the Nisbet and Porteous money? While Shankland is still at Hearts and is scoring for them every week.

Ofcourse players want to move on, but Hibs don't seem capable of holding onto good players for very long - a massive management failing for me. Maybe the reason Turnbull had a good team was because he held onto all the good players - if he'd had to replace 3 or 4 of them every year then I doubt it would have worked out for him.
    well shankland has turned down 2 contract extensions from them and will be away in the summer.......

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If you think he was bad you must hate Dylan Vente.
    I don’t hate either player, and I didn’t say I thought he was bad. Nisbet was fantastic on his day and a petulant, sulking teenager on other days. Fortunately he had more good days for us than bad ones but he will never be someone I’d describe as motivated.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

I don’t hate either player, and I didn’t say I thought he was bad. Nisbet was fantastic on his day and a petulant, sulking teenager on other days. Fortunately he had more good days for us than bad ones but he will never be someone I’d describe as motivated.
    My point was more around your comment about Nisbet not being motivated or lacking “fire in his belly”. If you thought he was bad for those things you surely can’t think much of Vente for the same reasons? He’s been brutal for ages and looked like he’s wanted to be anywhere else but on the pitch.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesdaft16 View Post
    The standard of the league has went downhill over the past 10 years in comparison to others. Van Veen done it last season and couldn't get a game for Groningen in the Dutch reserve league.
    Van Veen played 14 time and scored 5 goals. Wanted to come back because his partner was here and about to give birth to their child, not because he wasn’t playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My point was more around your comment about Nisbet not being motivated or lacking “fire in his belly”. If you thought he was bad for those things you surely can’t think much of Vente for the same reasons? He’s been brutal for ages and looked like he’s wanted to be anywhere else but on the pitch.
    It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Vente was demotivated, what with playing out of position for the last 3 months and barely getting a sniff of goal.

He must be thinking wtf am I doing here?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Vente was demotivated, what with playing out of position for the last 3 months and barely getting a sniff of goal.

Genuinely don't think he has been playing out of position as much as been stated. Loads of time we get wide and he never gets on the end of anything. His hold up play isn't great and he can get bullied. Don't think he deserves a free pass on what he is performing to. Was amazed he didn't start Saturday however wasn't a huge performance when he came on which is the norm at present

I’d still like him to be able to hold a ball up without getting shoved off it or generally try and look interested. Looks like we’ve basically signed another Jamie MacLaren, only effective if he gets the ball in the six yard box.

Hopefully if he starts tonight we can see a bit more from him.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Genuinely don't think he has been playing out of position as much as been stated. Loads of time we get wide and he never gets on the end of anything. His hold up play isn't great and he can get bullied. Don't think he deserves a free pass on what he is performing to. Was amazed he didn't start Saturday however wasn't a huge performance when he came on which is the norm at present
    Just like the rest of the team then Jim. There’s a real malaise and lack of confidence around the squad at the moment.

Re the positioning, I think it was quite roundly agreed he was dropping so deep to get involved in the play he wasn’t playing as striker.

Go back and look at Ventes highlight real before he signed for us. He’s a poacher, he’s not a back-to-goal hold up man. He was brought in to put the ball in the net, which he did.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Agree with the last 2 posters, whilst Vente has been given rubbish service, he’s also shown pretty much nothing/created nothing himself alongside that so don’t think he can just get a pass without criticism

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    Agree with the last 2 posters, whilst Vente has been given rubbish service, he’s also shown pretty much nothing/created nothing himself alongside that so don’t think he can just get a pass without criticism
    Nobodies saying he should be criticised.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Nobodies saying he should be criticised.
    “He must be thinking wtf am i doing here” pretty heavily implies he is no part of any problems

Just like the rest of the team then Jim. There’s a real malaise and lack of confidence around the squad at the moment.

Re the positioning, I think it was quite roundly agreed he was dropping so deep to get involved in the play he wasn’t playing as striker.

Go back and look at Ventes highlight real before he signed for us. He’s a poacher, he’s not a back-to-goal hold up man. He was brought in to put the ball in the net, which he did.
    Don't buy he was so deep he couldn't get on the end of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    “He must be thinking wtf am i doing here” pretty heavily implies he is no part of any problems
    I didn’t say he isn’t deserving of criticism did I?

I said he must thinking that because he was signed to be a penalty box striker but a change of manager and he’s being asked to do a job that means he can’t get anywhere close to the box.

Criticism wise, bearing in mind he was being asked to a job he is not used to and wasn’t signed for, I would say he isn’t getting in to the box enough and doesn’t seem to have the real “goal from nothing” knack the players like Griffiths or Kamberi had.

Happy?

Sir Alex Ferguson

Watch him then.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Watch him then.
    Ok all i see is him losing the ball not making good runs and not finding space in the box then going off in the huff. Watch the goal Miovski scored against Celtic do you genuinely think Vente could do that

@hibs.net private member
    Somebody posted two heat maps of Dylan Vente, one of his time here and one of his time in Dutch football.

He’s so much deeper here it’s ridiculous. One of his hot spots was in our own half.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Well I just don't think that model works - as it's much better to keep a player that's performing for you than it is to sell him and then gamble away the money that you get for him. What have we done with the Nisbet and Porteous money? While Shankland is still at Hearts and is scoring for them every week.

Ofcourse players want to move on, but Hibs don't seem capable of holding onto good players for very long - a massive management failing for me. Maybe the reason Turnbull had a good team was because he held onto all the good players - if he'd had to replace 3 or 4 of them every year then I doubt it would have worked out for him.
    He didn't though. By 1974 5 of the team that won 7-0 in 1973 were already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Somebody posted two heat maps of Dylan Vente, one of his time here and one of his time in Dutch football.

He’s so much deeper here it’s ridiculous. One of his hot spots was in our own half.
    Thank you Stubbsy. It was exactly that heat map that shows how deeply he was playing.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

Yeah I don't understand why not one but two managers have decided that a guy we spent a near-record fee on to score goals is being played behind the main striker.

I can't comment on his abilities as a finisher because he's not allowed to have that many shots at goal. It's infuriating.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Have this fear Clarke will pick Jacob Brown over him. Shankland should be one of the first names in the squad for the Euro's.
    One of the first names? Lol

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    His Hearts record is bolstered by 16 in 24 this season. Impressive I suppose but he's not up against much us he? When Nisbet was performing for us pre injury and Shankland could only put penalties away I wouldn't have swapped and we know which one Steve Clarke preferred.

According to their hierarchy, not a single bid came in for Shankland during the transfer window.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post

According to their hierarchy, not a single bid came in for Shankland during the transfer window.
    No because clubs that want him will know Hearts will be desperate to sell in the close season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    No because clubs that want him will know Hearts will be desperate to sell in the close season.
    That's a decent point to make. Think most folk know that he's only interested in signing for one team only.