hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Sky Stream

Sky Stream

Just wondering if anyone uses this? On paper sounds like a great way of getting live tv over wifi but I'd like to get honest reviews from people who use it. In particular how you get on without the option to record or not having any +1 channels? I get that most things are On Demand now but how quickly are they available on On Demand compared to just changing channel to +1 if you've just missed something? Cheers

2. Log in to remove the advert

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    I've had it for around 6 months now and it's pretty good. The lack of recording is a nuisance although they have an 'add to list' function which is similar although I don't use it.

The big downside for me is it's reliability, I seem to have to pull the power out the back at least twice a week due to it freezing. It may just be my puck although the thought of calling Sky just fills me with dread so I'll stick with it.

I do grudge having to pay extra to get ultra/hd which in this day and age should be free.

It's good value though for being able to bundle your netflix with them. I think a premium subscription for netflix is £18, with sky it's £8.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I don't have it but all my tv viewing is over the Internet. Only annoying thing is ITV and STV can't be watched live for some unknown reason unless I use my phone and cast it to the telly.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    I’ve had it a while.

Seems pretty reliable for me.

I’ve not really missed the loss of recording function. The ‘My list’ works great for all Sky progs and links to iplayer n stuff for other channels, and normally includes a play from start or watch live option for them.

I don’t pay for the UHD option (they often give it away for free for a few months) and honestly don’t notice when it’s not there.

Their ad skipping function works well (while nominally that’s a paid extra they always seem to have a ‘free for 6 months’ rolling offer)

I also got cashback via topcashback and £50 from my bank benefits when we got it so all in all it’s not costing me much at all.

I’m sure a lot of folk will just stream or IPTV etc but I’m a bit lazy on that front so for a reasonably nominal sum (see above cash backs!) it works well enough as a TV hub for me just now.