hibs.net Messageboard

Reaction - flight or fight

I know it is a Monday, but I have been really struggling after Saturday. It didn't help seeing Joe continually having to shout at our own players for not even trying to tackle or win second balls. He was one of only 3 or 4 players sticking a ****ing foot in.

Woke up at 04:36 on Sunday morning and couln't get back to sleep. We've been gubbed before, so am I thinking my despair is more about the general direction we are heading in?

We can moan, abuse the players and manager and boo till the end of the season. Hands up - I did all four on Saturday. As Nick and the team did their walkaround at the end, I actually ran to the wall, cupped my hands and roared "Monty - You haven't got a f****** clue". Not my finest hour as a supporter since 1961.

Watched Longbangers and the 3 guys all agreed that we need a mind shift, a culture shift. We might not be under the threat of a Mercer takeover, nor need a Petrie Oot campaign, but we cannae just sit back and watch things go to ****. We are possibly stuck with both Monty and this squad until the summer. So I've made up my mind that I'm definitely going on Wednesday and have bought tickets for Inverness.

At home I'm going to see if we can stimulate the singing within the 600 supporters that stand up there in the East Stand - higher up than the baby crew. See if we can raise the vocal backing. Have another Green Day. Back the team even if we play *****. We'll support you evermore. Persevere!

Aye, I know it's mental and probably pointless. Yet my fabulous dad Hughie, a Hibby since 1915 used to teach me that if you get knocked down, get right back up and get back into the fight. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. I might be an auld codger now but I'm dammed if I'm going to give up on the club my family has supported for 108 years.
    Last edited by RIP; 05-02-2024 at 05:13 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it is a Monday, but I have been really struggling after Saturday. It didn't help seeing Joe continually having to shout at our own players for not even trying to tackle or win second balls. He was one of only 3 or 4 players sticking a ****ing foot in.

Woke up at 04:36 on Sunday morning and couln't get back to sleep. We've been gubbed before, so am I thinking my despair is more about the general direction we are heading in?

We can moan, abuse the players and manager and boo till the end of the season. Hands up - I did all four on Saturday. As Nick and the team did their walkaround at the end, I actually ran to the wall, cupped my hands and roared "Monty - You haven't got a f****** clue". Not my finest hour as a supporter since 1961.

Watched Longbangers and the 3 guys all agreed that we need a mind shift, a culture shift. We might not be under the treat of a Mercer takeover, nor need a Petrie Oot campaign, but we cannae just sit back and watch things go to ****. We are stuck with Monty and this squad now until the summer. So I've made up my mind that I'm definitely going on Wednesday and have bought tickets for Inverness.

At home I'm going to see if we can stimulate the singing within the 600 supporters that stand up there in the East Stand - higher up than the baby crew. See if we can raise the vocal backing. Have another Green Day. Back the team even if we play *****. We'll support you evermore. Persevere!

Aye, I know it's mental and probably pointless. Yet my fabulous dad Hughie, a Hibby since 1915 used to teach me that if you get knocked down, get right back up and get back into the fight. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. I might be an auld codger now but I'm dammed if I'm going to give up on the club my family has supported for 108 years.
    Well said.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Watched Longbangers and the 3 guys all agreed that we need a mind shift, a culture shift. We might not be under the treat of a Mercer takeover, nor need a Petrie Oot campaign, but we cannae just sit back and watch things go to ****. We are stuck with Monty and this squad now until the summer. So I've made up my mind that I'm definitely going on Wednesday and have bought tickets for Inverness.

Good post apart from the abusing Monty bit 😂

The players to the summer yes, Monty? only if he starts winning some games. I think there is a very good chance he is sacked if ICT beat us at the weekend

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

I’m disappointed that this is not a post that is looking to resurrect the lets work together group or whatever it was called previously.

I think there is absolutely a space to have a group like that, even if it is talked about initially and not allowed by the club, then there comes a stance of ‘what more can we do?’

I don’t know when it ended last time, or for what reason, but it needs reopened.

There needs to be accountability.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I’m disappointed that this is not a post that is looking to resurrect the lets work together group or whatever it was called previously.

I think there is absolutely a space to have a group like that, even if it is talked about initially and not allowed by the club, then there comes a stance of ‘what more can we do?’

I don’t know when it ended last time, or for what reason, but it needs reopened.

There needs to be accountability.
    You offering to get the ball rolling?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    You offering to get the ball rolling?
    I’m going to compose a message to BK in the coming days. I’ll suggest it, so I suppose I am, aye.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I’m going to compose a message to BK in the coming days. I’ll suggest it, so I suppose I am, aye.
    Brilliant, you can put me down to help as well then.

Why are we stuck with NM? He is taking us backwards, the last 10 games show that and he has shown a real unwillingness to change.

Get rid. Sort a group within the club who know football who can pick the next manager before the summer transformation of the squad is upon us. With the investment and new impotence Hibs will be an attractive proposition for a manager.

I really admire the spirit of the message the OP is trying to get across and I'd love to see as many people as possible join in.

It's been on my mind since last season. I spoke to a few lads and even dug out my original "Hibernian Unity" proposal letter to Fife Hyland back in October 2011. By previously working with him on the East Stand Singing Section, starting Hibs12thMan and running flag days myself and some other hard-working supporters had an ambition to start up a 'Shadow Board' model.

To his credit both Fife and (later) Scott Lindsay were very welcoming. Rod asked David Forsyth to help and it was he who came up with the name 'Let's Work Together'. David was very active in it but we always suspected that Rod thought it more PR than action-based.

I think there is absolutely a space to have a group like that, even if it is talked about initially and not allowed by the club, then there comes a stance of ‘what more can we do?’ I don’t know when it ended last time, or for what reason, but it needs reopened.
    As our fortunes declined I got involved in chairing a meeting with various parties interested in discussing ways of supporters buying or investing the Club e.g. Richard Skelett, Kano, Kenny McLean, HSL, HSA. I brought in Supporters Direct's Paul Goodwin as a facilitator. We suspected that the Hibs Board had their own scheme in the planning and saw him as a threat (even though he was only providing encouragement) and within weeks the SFA pulled the SD funding. My poor buddy Paul ended up unemployed with a family to feed. I had no option but to walk away - embarassed and heartbroken.

WT as it was rebranded kept going for a couple of years but I wasn't involved then so am not aware of when or why it ended.

I'll PM you my number for a chat

Gogs

Gogs & Matty ... LWT . Brings back some good memories (and a good few frustrations !) most supporters wont know the effort you guys put into this

Biggest disappointment was that LD appointment came in some part out of it - and yet she was less keen on the input than many might have hoped.

Gained a huge respect for Bruce Langham for his effort, engagement & commitment to it - remember seeing him on the open topped bus after SC win - a day he more than most deserved

Watched Longbangers and the 3 guys all agreed that we need a mind shift, a culture shift. We might not be under the threat of a Mercer takeover, nor need a Petrie Oot campaign, but we cannae just sit back and watch things go to ****. We are possibly stuck with both Monty and this squad until the summer. So I've made up my mind that I'm definitely going on Wednesday and have bought tickets for Inverness.

Outstanding post

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Up-the-slope View Post
    Gogs & Matty ... LWT . Brings back some good memories (and a good few frustrations !) most supporters wont know the effort you guys put into this

Biggest disappointment was that LD appointment came in some part out of it - and yet she was less keen on the input than many might have hoped.

Gained a huge respect for Bruce Langham for his effort, engagement & commitment to it - remember seeing him on the open topped bus after SC win - a day he more than most deserved
    It was good seeing fans properly make a difference. One of the proudest moments of my life came when i went to interview Leeann Dempster for a blog and, before we started the interview she pulled out this big folder with the strategy for the club that she was going to deliver, and at the heart of it was the Winning the Hibernian Way paper that we’d produced and I’d presented to the board months earlier.

It was an amazing moment for me.

The bottom line though, was that it was Hibs fans getting hands on with their clubs to make things better. It was never about sniping or moaning, it was about doing something practical to make a difference.

Judging by the amount of texts, calls and messages over the past 48 hours, looks like there's an appetite to get something organised.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Surprised Leeann wasnt as keen reading above.
    Although I think you can see the hallmarks of Matty’s collaboration piece along with Brian Houston in what subsequently transpired and is it that surprising when we moved away from that thinking things like recruitment based on character went astray. All in the execution and in George, Leeann, Brian, Bruce and others did a fantastic job.

No wonder there’s a disconnect. But I can understand why folks got scunnered. Some great ideas with a lot of talented volunteers. Why wouldn’t you want to tap into that?
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 06-02-2024 at 08:15 PM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Well said. Absolutely question things and be critical where it's due, but there is a point where we need to recognize the team will only do better if we're behind them. I'll be there Weds and Saturday too. Will sing along if you sing the songs I know the words to!

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It was good seeing fans properly make a difference. One of the proudest moments of my life came when i went to interview Leeann Dempster for a blog and, before we started the interview she pulled out this big folder with the strategy for the club that she was going to deliver, and at the heart of it was the Winning the Hibernian Way paper that we’d produced and I’d presented to the board months earlier.

It was an amazing moment for me.

The bottom line though, was that it was Hibs fans getting hands on with their clubs to make things better. It was never about sniping or moaning, it was about doing something practical to make a difference.
    Matty - it truly was a really great bit of work. The Non - exec directors (like Bruce I mentioned before / Brian / Amanda etc) gained a lot of my respect as true supporters who were giving their expertise to the club they loved. The volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and skill sets doing the same... it was pretty powerful. But that can scare the unsecure.

The other issue was that a lot of the wider support did not really understand it (LWT), and with growing social media etc it was a difficult job to manage information flow and expectations with little resource to do so. A lot fell on the shoulders of a few

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Surprised Leeann wasnt as keen reading above.
    Although I think you can see the hallmarks of Matty’s collaboration piece along with Brian Houston in what subsequently transpired and is it that surprising when we moved away from that thinking things like recruitment based on character went astray. All in the execution and in George, Leeann, Brian, Bruce and others did a fantastic job.

No wonder there’s a disconnect. But I can understand why folks got scunnered. Some great ideas with a lot of talented volunteers. Why wouldn’t you want to tap into that?
    VP (one of the LWT stalwarts )- that is very much a personal view from my experience of dealing with her / chairing meetings etc. while she did a lot of really good things she liked to be in control - LWT was something that highlighted ' no supporters / no club ' . The finish for me was when she employed someone who had only recently become involved with LWT as a means of (as I saw it) regaining some control.

There were a lot of strengths of LWT in the volunteers, whether from the general support or non - exec directors, but I always felt that the paid employees of the club had slightly differing agendas...

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Up-the-slope View Post
    VP (one of the LWT stalwarts )- that is very much a personal view from my experience of dealing with her / chairing meetings etc. while she did a lot of really good things she liked to be in control - LWT was something that highlighted ' no supporters / no club ' . The finish for me was when she employed someone who had only recently become involved with LWT as a means of (as I saw it) regaining some control.

There were a lot of strengths of LWT in the volunteers, whether from the general support or non - exec directors, but I always felt that the paid employees of the club had slightly differing agendas...
    Too kind - I wouldn’t put myself in that bracket tho’ - although I was there in body and spirit many good folks there trying to help make a difference during tough times.
    i can also see how Leeann would like to (given her responsibilities and ultimately carrying the can) be a bit more in control - design / manage by committee doesn’t always get the results or move quick enough.

it’s been a while - I think I remember the names to Hibs.net handle ping me and say “hello” iirc you’re near a distillery? But I could be wrong.

i think you’re right in the different agendas. Kinda good PR but I think it was a positive catalyst. I’m sure our Derby record improved during that time :)
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 07-02-2024 at 01:55 PM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.