hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: LIV Golf

LIV Golf

Watched this for the first time last night after the final round at Pebble Beach (PGA) was postponed.

Final round in Mexico on their YouTube channel.

Actually really enjoyed it and the TV presentation. Don't quite get the point of the Team aspect and the crowds were pretty thin...but the format of everyone starting at the same time (Shotgun) and therefore finishing more or less at the same time made for compelling viewing with all the big names in the mix.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've tried watching it... and absolutely couldn't stand it.

Didn't like the shotgun start (hard to know where the players are relative to one another when some may have additional easier holes still to play etc if it's a tight field.)

I quite like the general racket of the Phoenix Open once a year or a US Open in New York, but I don't like it every week and the LIV stuff just felt like a noisy rabble, with terminally uncool people trying to appear cool and appeal to a newer market.

And the team thing is absolute nonsense with next to no appeal. It might start to make sense after a few years / decades but for now it's just rubbish.

What it has taught me is that - for me it's not about having the best players, it's not about having folk play for crazy amounts of money. I quite like a bit of history, heritage and some sort of prior benchmark. There are the majors won, PGA tournaments won and the quirks of each individual tournament on all of the established tours.

I was sort of dreading being drawn in by LIV as I'm quite vehemently against sports washing but I just find it a vile spectacle, played by despicable individuals with zero morals and it's frankly unwatchable drivel. Sort of like tuning in to watch your worst ever Hearts XI take on your worst ever Rangers XI every week.

There has been chat of it potentially forcing golf to a year round international tour rather than the current USA centric PGA tour, which I wouldn't be at all against, but for now I certainly won't be tuning in and I'll continue to be disappointed in every player who chooses to add to their own already considerable personable wealth by going down that route.

I wouldn't watch it if it was the last sport around. Its tin pot sports washing that's ruined golf.

Long live the PGA.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I suspect McIlroy will be next to join once the Ryder Cup selection process is sorted and that is inevitable from a European prospective. Maybe if he bags the masters this year could be another trigger. He’s certainly making all the appropriate noises. That then leaves the PGA Tour even more an American spectacle than it already is. That then hastens the already inevitable proper World Tour round the majors with possibly the Australian Open or PGA replacing the USPGA as an official Major and possibly a 5th major emerging (in title) either in South Africa or Japan.
    Last edited by greenlex; 05-02-2024 at 06:59 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suspect McIlroy will be next to join once the Ryder Cup selection process is sorted and that is inevitable from a European prospective. Maybe if he bags the masters this year could be another trigger. He’s certainly making all the appropriate noises. That then leaves the PGA Tour even more an American spectacle than it already is. That then hastens the already inevitable proper World Tour round the majors with possibly the Australian Open or PGA replacing the USPGA as an official Major and possibly a 5th major emerging (in title) either in South Africa or Japan.
    I've watched golf most of my life. Who could forget Sandy Lyle winning the Masters, or Tiger Woods beginning his dominance, along with a myriad of great sporting viewing. For me personally, a world tour would be a champions league style format, that emerged from the old european cup. At first it might seem exciting, but after a short while I became very bored with the watered down version, and never watch the so called champions league now, and couldn't care less who wins it.

If golf does evolve into the format that you envisage, then it will become a synthetic greed is good, devoid of prestige and will disappear up itself. Golf was always a prestige historical sport run by rigid, rules enforced committees that ran golf for the good of the sport. A sad day when even golf tears itself apart for the greed is good self servers. An oxymoron.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    I've watched golf most of my life. Who could forget Sandy Lyle winning the Masters, or Tiger Woods beginning his dominance, along with a myriad of great sporting viewing. For me personally, a world tour would be a champions league style format, that emerged from the old european cup. At first it might seem exciting, but after a short while I became very bored with the watered down version, and never watch the so called champions league now, and couldn't care less who wins it.

If golf does evolve into the format that you envisage, then it will become a synthetic greed is good, devoid of prestige and will disappear up itself. Golf was always a prestige historical sport run by rigid, rules enforced committees that ran golf for the good of the sport. A sad day when even golf tears itself apart for the greed is good self servers. An oxymoron.
    Have to disagree. The majors will always be the majors and attract the best fields. Playing fur the best prizes. That happens now and would continue if the govern bodies would get their act together regards world ranking points.
    I to have fur as long as I can remember watched golf on TV. It bites me to death now other than the majors and maybe the players at sawgrass. All tournaments are on my screen but outside those majors I’m rarely invested in what’s happening.
    A world tour would probably do little to help.
    It would be great to go back to Peter allis and the bbc covering the open, masters and the Ryder cup but that horse has bolted and it’s not going to happen. Golf back then was an event once in a blue moon live now it’s four days a week every week.
    They will play for their bloated pay checks but nothing will change for us in a real sense.
    What I’m suggesting will happen is the only way professional golf and possibly golf itself can progress and survive otherwise it’ll tear itself apart.

It would be great to go back to Peter allis and the bbc covering the open, masters and the Ryder cup but that horse has bolted and it’s not going to happen.
    Not least because he’s been deid for years.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Not least because he’s been deid for years.
    "One of the good things about rain in Scotland is that most of it ends up as whisky"

RIP what a commentator

Left by mutual consent!
    Have to disagree. The majors will always be the majors and attract the best fields. Playing fur the best prizes. That happens now and would continue if the govern bodies would get their act together regards world ranking points.
    I to have fur as long as I can remember watched golf on TV. It bites me to death now other than the majors and maybe the players at sawgrass. All tournaments are on my screen but outside those majors I’m rarely invested in what’s happening.
    A world tour would probably do little to help.
    It would be great to go back to Peter allis and the bbc covering the open, masters and the Ryder cup but that horse has bolted and it’s not going to happen. Golf back then was an event once in a blue moon live now it’s four days a week every week.
    They will play for their bloated pay checks but nothing will change for us in a real sense.
    What I’m suggesting will happen is the only way professional golf and possibly golf itself can progress and survive otherwise it’ll tear itself apart.
    I understand fully what you were getting at now, and see your point. I agree with much of what you're saying, and for me golf will never be the same again now after the Liv shambles. Even the majors aren't the same as what they once were in my opinion. A world tour would do nothing to reverse my disgust at what has happened. When Jon Rahm departed for the Saudi Riyal, it was the final nail in the coffin for me. These guys were already multi millionaires, and have already torn golf apart. If an all star world tour had been proposed before Liv and their taking of the Saudi Riyal, then maybe it could have been a viable new alternative, but for me its too late. I'd look at Dustin Johnson, Cameron Smith, Tyrell Hatton, Jon Rahm with nothing but disinterest and couldn't care less what they won.