hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Steve Naismith

Steve Naismith

Wasn’t too long ago there were threads on kickback screaming for him to go.
    He’s managed to turn things around obviously with a little help from a striker that’s bang in form.

I think we have players capable of turning it around and the Naismith situation proves that supporters are fickle.
    Start to win a few games and all is forgotten!

It’s over to you Monty!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s managed to turn things around obviously with a little help from a striker that’s bang in form.

I think we have players capable of turning it around and the Naismith situation proves that supporters are fickle.

It’s over to you Monty!
    Deary me.
    Let's wait til it works out?
    We are sinking fast.
    Monty is out of his depth

Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    Deary me.
    Let's wait til it works out?
    We are sinking fast.
    Monty is out of his depth
    Exactly what they were saying about Naismith.
    Thanks, you’ve made my point. 😉

Blog Entries
    Exactly what they were saying about Naismith.
    Thanks, you’ve made my point. 😉
    Tidy post, Greensunshine, and I’d give an arm and a leg for you to be on the money. Sadly, I think, in our case, it will end in tears.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Naismith isn't up to much which is fine by me. But as a coach he is capable of adapting tactics or formation which is part of the job. We, on the other hand, have a guy in who just won't and it's going to cost him his job. Even the basics aren't there. I was behind Montgomery as an appointment but it isn't working and it's apparent he is clearly out of his depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Naismith isn't up to much which is fine by me. But as a coach he is capable of adapting tactics or formation which is part of the job. We, on the other hand, have a guy in who just won't and it's going to cost him his job. Even the basics aren't there. I was behind Montgomery as an appointment but it isn't working and it's apparent he is clearly out of his depth.
    I think you’re probably right. It really does look like he’s out his depth. The next two games are massive for us as a club.
    We really don’t want to be in this place but unfortunately we are and big decisions might need to be made but ye just never know!
    Last edited by Greensunshine; 05-02-2024 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Tidy post, Greensunshine, and I’d give an arm and a leg for you to be on the money. Sadly, I think, in our case, it will end in tears.
    It’s sadly looking that way. Monty’s interview really shone a light on how out his depth he actually is. He looks like he’s lost confidence in the players and I don’t blame him.
    Gutted for the guy because he comes across as a really decent fella.

Montgomery doesn't have Shankland

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Yep, good point. Don't know how good Naismith would be without Shankland tbh, but he is there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Yep, good point. Don't know how good Naismith would be without Shankland tbh, but he is there anyway.
    We saw against Spartans how good Naismith is without Shankland.

It’s over to you Monty!
    They were nowhere near the state Hibs are in. Hertz lose a couple of games and the tantrums start. Think they were 3rd or 4th when they wanted Naismith out.

First Team Breakthrough
    That’s down to our recruitment then why didn’t we go for Shankland when he was available ? , our recruitment has been poor for years now , I don’t think we can keep changing managers it’s not going to sort it , but a decent spine of players who know this level and what it takes sorely required then add a few bits to the team not 7 newbies and hope it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dastardly8 View Post
    That’s down to our recruitment then why didn’t we go for Shankland when he was available ? , our recruitment has been poor for years now , I don’t think we can keep changing managers it’s not going to sort it , but a decent spine of players who know this level and what it takes sorely required then add a few bits to the team not 7 newbies and hope it works.
    Now this is a very good point. Why didn’t we go for Shankland or Van Veen? A lot of opinions saying our recruitment has been really poor and I would agree with that.

So if it’s recruitment that’s the problem then why is Monty taking the blame for recruitment?

Surely if our recruitment was better, then the manager wouldn’t be in the firing line.

Or is the problem both of those things ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He’d have him dropping into CB as well

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    They were nowhere near the state Hibs are in. Hertz lose a couple of games and the tantrums start. Think they were 3rd or 4th when they wanted Naismith out.
    IIRC they dropped out the top six a couple of months back and were brushed aside by Rangers in the LC semi-final. He was definitely in trouble but while I can't abide the guy he's done some job since then. They were a bit of a mess early season with the confusion over who was actually the boss but fair play to him as an inexperienced manager for turning things around. Sure they enjoy a bigger budget than the rest of the also-rans but their current run of form would have had them harbouring thoughts of a title challenge had it come earlier.

No excuse for us being nearly 20 points behind them though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    IIRC they dropped out the top six a couple of months back and were brushed aside by Rangers in the LC semi-final. He was definitely in trouble but while I can't abide the guy he's done some job since then. They were a bit of a mess early season with the confusion over who was actually the boss but fair play to him as an inexperienced manager for turning things around. Sure they enjoy a bigger budget than the rest of the also-rans but their current run of form would have had them harbouring thoughts of a title challenge had it come earlier.

No excuse for us being nearly 20 points behind them though.
    Celtic win totally transformed their season

Now this is a very good point. Why didn’t we go for Shankland or Van Veen? A lot of opinions saying our recruitment has been really poor and I would agree with that.

So if it’s recruitment that’s the problem then why is Monty taking the blame for recruitment?

Surely if our recruitment was better, then the manager wouldn’t be in the firing line.

Or is the problem both of those things ?
    Maybe shankland and van veen agents made it clear they didnt want to come to Hibs? Did we try?

@hibs.net private member
    While I don't think their squad is all that good, it's better than the group we've got.

Honestly, as poor as Monty has started and yes he badly needs to improve his side of things, I don't think many managers, if any, would get a tune out of this lot of players. They're either not good, not interested or have one decent game every so often.

Squad needs a total rebuild in the summer and NOT with short term loans.

When Hearts were perceived to be bad, it was due to a lack of goals. They still had the best defence outside of the OF and they addressed their issues of losing goals to set pieces/crosses by buying Kent.

Tbf to Naismith he seems pretty pragmatic, something which he shares with the likes of McIness, Neilson, Jack Ross who've all had some success.

Then you look at Monty. He plays a wide open formation. He chose to sign two 20 year old CBs and he continues to pick a RB that is barely 17. On Saturday each goal comes from a simple ball into our box and don't win the first header on any of them.

Monty hasn't helped himself has he?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    While I don't think their squad is all that good, it's better than the group we've got.

Honestly, as poor as Monty has started and yes he badly needs to improve his side of things, I don't think many managers, if any, would get a tune out of this lot of players. They're either not good, not interested or have one decent game every so often.

Squad needs a total rebuild in the summer and NOT with short term loans.
    The opposite for me. A competent manager gets more out of these players, a good one gets a lot more imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    When Hearts were perceived to be bad, it was due to a lack of goals. They still had the best defence outside of the OF and they addressed their issues of losing goals to set pieces/crosses by buying Kent.

Tbf to Naismith he seems pretty pragmatic, something which he shares with the likes of McIness, Neilson, Jack Ross who've all had some success.

Then you look at Monty. He plays a wide open formation. He chose to sign two 20 year old CBs and he continues to pick a RB that is barely 17. On Saturday each goal comes from a simple ball into our box and don't win the first header on any of them.

Monty hasn't helped himself has he?

The next manager who can bring in an experienced CH that can help some of our youngsters and I don’t mean a loan player, I’m talking about someone who can captain the side. A Rob Jones type then he’ll be well on his way to restoring our lost pride.

We don't have a striker bang in form and we don't have the players...

And we are clearly not capable of signing an experienced defender who could stabilise the defence.

Not sure how you can have any optimisim in the team, the manager or indeed the club hierarchy to resolve any of this.

Naismith and Hearts are clearly (unfortunatley) doing a far better job than we are right now of being consistently near the top (3rd) of the table..

The Gunts go through these bad patches and then come out of them regulary, our bad patches last longer and we rarely come out of them. They also set up alot more defensively solid and we never seem to do. Another thing is they seem to claw back points from losing positions alot more than we have done in a long time.
    Last edited by LunasBoots; 05-02-2024 at 12:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dastardly8 View Post
    How do you know that we didn't go for him at the time?
    Some people say I display apathy, but I don’t care what they think.