hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The buzz I felt about Roy Keane being potentially given the job was something I hadn’t felt in my soul since Lennon got the job.

I’m not saying I particularly want Keane, but I’m Keane-curious.

What he would give us in terms of experience, contacts and radgeness is something we haven’t seen in the dugout since Lennon did the airplane.

I just want Hibs to be exciting again.
    If Keane was our manager we wouldn't have had a team for the second 45 on Saturday. After the half-time talk most would be out long term injured with severely damaged feelings! I seriously believe he would have some of them crying for their mummies.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Honestly, the Keane / Lennon chat is chronic. If they’re such marvellous, wannabe hard man miracle workers, why are they both spending their lives as pundits?

How long since Keane was last a manager?

Lennon has been linked with every job going in Scotland, if he’s so damn good, why hasn’t he gotten one? Aberdeen have rather gone with a guy so old a cold snap might see him off!

Just utter nonsense.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    McInnes and I would give him the highest transfer budget available.
    Last edited by SteveHFC; 05-02-2024 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Keane did well with Sunderland. There's nothing to suggest he would make matters worse IMO.
    He did do well at Sunderland but a quick check shows that he was there from 2006-2008.

Other things that happened in that time period were that the first I-phone was released and Rory Whittaker was born.

The world has moved on since then and Keane himself has carved out a nice little niche for himself in punditry, something I find it hard to see him relinquishing for an inevitably short stint at Hibs.

Hi guys, first post.

Alex Neil would be my first choice.

There are other managers out there though, Michael Duff done a fantastic job at Barnsley and had them playing brilliantly. John Eustace at Birmingham sacked very harshly too.

Neil ticks all the boxes for me though.

What I’ll say is the majority of managers that say they play good attacking football talk nonsense

Ross gets criticised however give me his style over Maloney and Montgomery any day of the week

On suggestions, what about Tony Docherty? Great job at Dundee

The question is who would the rest of the league not like to see us appoint?

IMO they’d hate to see us appoint Mcinnes because they know he’d make us good, challenging for Europe and every game would be difficult.

There’s your answer

Ian Murray has worked his way up the leagues and doing a good job at raith

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    The question is who would the rest of the league not like to see us appoint?

IMO they’d hate to see us appoint Mcinnes because they know he’d make us good, challenging for Europe and every game would be difficult.

There’s your answer
    If we appointed Alex Neil every club including even the bigots would wish they could appoint and attract that calibre of manager.

Playing open, expansive football or what we would class as "good football" these days will result in us getting pumped most weeks. A pragmatic approach is what gets you success in this league. The days of Mowbrayesque football are gone and managers will see through it in 5 minutes. We'd all love that type of football but McInnnes/Robinson have it spot on and it's proven to work. People complained about Jack Ross's football but he finished 3rd and never failed to get us to Hampden in every competition he entered playing his "pragmatic" football (which in hindsight actually wasn't that bad) before the club screwed him over with transfers. Steve Clarke at Killie was another one who's football wasn't exactly exhilarating but brought success. St Mirren schooled us on Saturday and we were lucky it wasn't 4 or 5.

Maloney/Montgomery MIGHT have had more luck here 20 years ago or with Celtic or someone.

Us as Hibs fans all yearn for 1970's/Mowbray/Lennon post January transfer window football. We are dreamers/romanticists as a fanbase. There's nothing wrong with that and it's one of the things that make Hibs special but it just isn't going to work now. Not long term anyway.
    Last edited by Since452; 05-02-2024 at 06:12 AM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He did do well at Sunderland but a quick check shows that he was there from 2006-2008.

Other things that happened in that time period were that the first I-phone was released and Rory Whittaker was born.

The world has moved on since then and Keane himself has carved out a nice little niche for himself in punditry, something I find it hard to see him relinquishing for an inevitably short stint at Hibs.
    Yeh totally. I mentioned above there is no chance of him coming. I was just responding to a poster who said he'd make things worse. I don't think he would, but as you say we will never know.

First Team Breakthrough Broxburn Greens's Avatar
    Not sure who I’d go for but there’s surely going to be plenty of interested parties given the Foley investment.

For me if it comes to it we should really push the boat out for as high a calibre manager as we can. No point having a big transfer kitty (relatively speaking for Scotland) if we don’t have the best man in charge we possibly can.

100% no more punts on someone who could be the next big thing, someone who knows our game inside out or failing that a well known high profile (again relatively speaking) manager.

Given the potential budget and just for his sheer undoubted football knowledge and his work ethic I’d be tempted to right a historical wrong (my opinion) and sound out John Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    No disrespect mate though of all the names mentioned if you wanted Hibs to press the ultimate self destruction button Roy Keane is the perfect choice.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane
    It would be a blast though.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    Would imagine the next guy won’t be from the usual circles of names that get mentioned. It’ll be a heavily Foley/Black Knights influenced appointment I reckon.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Honestly, the Keane / Lennon chat is chronic. If they’re such marvellous, wannabe hard man miracle workers, why are they both spending their lives as pundits?

Lennon has been linked with every job going in Scotland, if he’s so damn good, why hasn’t he gotten one? Aberdeen have rather gone with a guy so old a cold snap might see him off!

Just utter nonsense.
    Re Keane I brought him up semi jokingly but that’s the last time I was really genuinely excited about a managers name.

I don’t think he’d come, I don’t think we’d want him, but it would be exciting.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Don’t know, but none of the ones mentioned so far. A manager coming in now would have to start again and we cannot afford to do that at this time. For that reason I think we would be better sticking with what we have and only move to replace when it becomes obvious that things aren’t going to get better. I would be very surprised if we don’t pick up points once we get the Celtic game out of the way.
    Hope springs eternal.

What’s the craic with Michael O’Neill?

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    What’s the craic with Michael O’Neill?
    Very well paid at his NI job.

Go out and get McInnes. As with a few other posters he has been my choice for the last 2/3 appointments.

Rebuilt his Aberdeen team a few times and keep them up there, and done the same with a relegated Killi side.

I have no doubt he can get a Hibs side well organised and build from there.

Not a reason to appoint him but I like the way he interviews - I've not regularly listened out for a Hibs manager's interview since Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Playing open, expansive football or what we would class as "good football" these days will result in us getting pumped most weeks. A pragmatic approach is what gets you success in this league. The days of Mowbrayesque football are gone and managers will see through it in 5 minutes. We'd all love that type of football but McInnnes/Robinson have it spot on and it's proven to work. People complained about Jack Ross's football but he finished 3rd and never failed to get us to Hampden in every competition he entered playing his "pragmatic" football (which in hindsight actually wasn't that bad) before the club screwed him over with transfers. Steve Clarke at Killie was another one who's football wasn't exactly exhilarating but brought success. St Mirren schooled us on Saturday and we were lucky it wasn't 4 or 5.

Maloney/Montgomery MIGHT have had more luck here 20 years ago or with Celtic or someone.

Us as Hibs fans all yearn for 1970's/Mowbray/Lennon post January transfer window football. We are dreamers/romanticists as a fanbase. There's nothing wrong with that and it's one of the things that make Hibs special but it just isn't going to work now. Not long term anyway.
    I yearn for the Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull Ormond days but I am quite sure I will never see anything like that again from any team far less Hibs.

So being realistic all I would like from a manager right now is a vague idea what a centre half is for and perhaps somebody old fashioned enough to stick a couple of defenders on the posts when corner kicks are taken. Almost every week I see other teams with good but not spectacular centre halves or whatever they are called now (Gogic on Saturday for instance: Findlay the week before ) who earn their corn by closing down opposing players when they attack and organise the players round them.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    I yearn for the Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull Ormond days but I am quite sure I will never see anything like that again from any team far less Hibs.

So being realistic all I would like from a manager right now is a vague idea what a centre half is for and perhaps somebody old fashioned enough to stick a couple of defenders on the posts when corner kicks are taken. Almost every week I see other teams with good but not spectacular centre halves or whatever they are called now (Gogic on Saturday for instance: Findlay the week before ) who earn their corn by closing down opposing players when they attack and organise the players round them.
    Fair point.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The buzz I felt about Roy Keane being potentially given the job was something I hadn’t felt in my soul since Lennon got the job.

I’m not saying I particularly want Keane, but I’m Keane-curious.

What he would give us in terms of experience, contacts and radgeness is something we haven’t seen in the dugout since Lennon did the airplane.

I just want Hibs to be exciting again.
    Yes please

He was still saying on the Stick To Football podcast recently he would get back into management if it was the right job

Cannot believe we’re talking potential new managers again 😂😂
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post

Just utter nonsense.
    Your preference (and others) for an "exciting" young manager like Montgomery has proved to be the biggest pile of nonsense ever.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 05-02-2024 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Scott Parker ?
    Yea

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Scott Parker ?
    He’s probably the kind of level I’d expect us to be looking at going forward. It certainly won’t be Ian Murray or guys like Montgomery who are coming from significantly lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    He’s probably the kind of level I’d expect us to be looking at going forward. It certainly won’t be Ian Murray or guys like Montgomery who are coming from significantly lower levels.
    With the greatest respect to him, is he guaranteed to be a success just because he managed Fulham and Bournemouth at a decent level? Same goes for other guys at that level. Are we just at that point taking dreggs off the Championship drip tray and getting excited by a name and CV history than anything we think they would bring to the club?

At least someone like McInness might see this job as a step up from where he is and get him back into some sort of limelight to go do something else after 3/4 years of turning us around and finding success here. Or even build something quite long term.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    That’s not quite true. Smith was quite harshly dealt with, but he had a run of 17 games where they only won three and lost eight, which cost him his job (fun fact, one of those three wins was a 4-0 win at Tynie, and it was a home defeat to us that finally cost him).

There were two automatic relegation spots back then, and Aberdeen were getting dragged into it. Willie Miller came in and steadied the ship and they finished 6th.

Couple of points: Smith was the first Aberdeen manager to ever be sacked, so it’s not as if the supporters had previous for it. Secondly: in his first full season Miller finished 2nd in the league and lost the two cup finals; in his second one, they were 2nd in the league again, so hard to argue it was a bad decision.

Incidentally, Aberdeen’s next manager will be their 10th appointed this century - we’re already on 16 so I don’t know how they can be called more of a basket case than us. And that’s not to mention all the high league finishes under McInnes.
    Ebbe Skovdahl
    Pele (bundled out of Pittodrie in the boot of a car)
    Alex Miller
    Paul Hegarty
    Tangoman (somewhat steadied ship) amongst the ones I recall.

Paw Broon probably laid the foundations and Del was consistent.

but for someone that lived in Aberdeen through the most turbulent period I’d argue they don’t give management a lot of time. The did employ some numpties tho.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    With the greatest respect to him, is he guaranteed to be a success just because he managed Fulham and Bournemouth at a decent level? Same goes for other guys at that level. Are we just at that point taking dreggs off the Championship drip tray and getting excited by a name and CV history than anything we think they would bring to the club?

At least someone like McInness might see this job as a step up from where he is and get him back into some sort of limelight to go do something else after 3/4 years of turning us around and finding success here. Or even build something quite long term.
    Parker got two teams promoted to the English premiership. Now that we have a budget on par with Hearts and Aberdeen I would argue that promoting Fulham and Bournemouth is a comparable challenge to getting Hibs 3rd place.

He did however have a shocker in his most recent job at Club Brugge.

@hibs.net private member
    John Eustace or Ian Murray.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Offer it to mcinnes.

Double his salary
    Tell him he's got 5 years and write into it that he won't be sacked bar relegation. Let him build something with some time.

We've got a bit cash, flex it in the right way. Get a manager who knows what he's doing up here and who can spot a player.

Stop pissing about.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    That would require some serious balls from the board in the sense that the fans would (rightly) call for his head if we finished tenth.

If they allowed him to transform the club whilst having a shocker of a season then I would be shocked.

I would be up for that though.

Communicate it. Say ‘this man will not be removed unless we get relegated, so strap in’.

Clear lines.