hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These suggestions are absolutely bonkers
    Stephen Kenny gave me a laugh, faither in law doesn’t allow his name to be uttered in his house, that’s how ***** he was as Ireland manager. Utterly brutal. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Punt Monty, SDG in for the rest of the season then tempt Steve Clarke away after our failed Euro campaign.
    There's a dour Scotsman.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Stephen Kenny gave me a laugh, faither in law doesn’t allow his name to be uttered in his house, that’s how ***** he was as Ireland manager. Utterly brutal. No thanks.

He also plays really boring football although tbf Ireland were pretty gash players wise during his tenure.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    He also plays really boring football although tbf Ireland were pretty gash players wise during his tenure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post

Dismissing Derek McInnes because the football would be too dull then suggesting Stephen Kenny as an ideal man for the job is a wild wild take.

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Many seem to assume McInnes would jump at chance of managing Hibs or Lennon would be available while with a chance of being Ireland manager .
    Before paying compensation for McInnes , Robinson etc I`d be looking at other options like :
    1. Sticking with NM and seeing how things work out after signing half a dozen players in last week or so . Seems to have a good team of assistants too .
    2. Brian McD if he was interested in being manager for a few weeks / months . He`s got a better managerial record than the others mentioned so far .
    3. Mixture of folk already at club till end of the season - DG , Darren McG , Gareth Evans ,.....even Lewis S and Hanlon .
    4. Other options , mainly thinking of next season - Stephen Kenny ?
    For next season , will obviously depend on which league we`re in , but there are a lot of options and any candidates will obviously want to know what situation is regarding decisionmaking , signings etc .
    Jesus!!!
    It’s bad but it’s not Stephen Kenny level bad

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Why would crowds fall? If we are finishing 3rd and in Europe then I don't get why that would happen, our crowds have remained consistent through the last 2 or 3 years of dross on the park.

Worth noting Aberdeen's average attendance the season before McInnes was appointed was 9615. The no lockdown seasons under his watch were 12394, 13359, 13084, 12640, 15775, 14924 and 13796. The notion McIness drives fans away doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    Interesting statistics . Can`t remember what Aberdeen`s situation was like before McInnes took over . Lots of factors affect crowds - Hibs and Hearts have had great home crowds in recent years despite struggling teams at times cause of a rising , prosperous population just as Aberdeen and Dundee United did well in 70s and 80s during North Sea oil boom ( not saying it was the only reason but was a factor ) . Nowadays so many fans have season tickets that statistics don`t change much ( folk are fed up so don`t go to matches if not interested but that doesn`t affect announced crowds ) unless there´s a massive fall / rise in season ticket numbers .

The boy at Blackburn JDT is very unsettled there.
    I know he turned us down before but could he be an option??
    He has apparently offered to walk

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Compensation wouldn't be the barrier IMO. Probably talking a few hundred grand at most and that wouldn't preclude a move for him.
    We'd be net £££ up if we don't got to Dubai next winter.

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Sorry but the Stephen Kenny one is beyond bonkers

We really have to stop sacking managers just because of a current run of poor performances, especially as Montgomery only arrived five months ago!

I really hope Hibs ignore the "expert internet-know-alls" who, have NO knowledge & experience of either managing or playing at SPFL level.

Constantly demanding the manager's head when we run into a rough patch has shown the folly of this lemming-like approach since we ditched Jack Ross.

Some on here should remember the club motto is PERSEVERE not PANIC.

However, whenever the time comes to change manager, hope we go for someone with SPFL experience, not another promising/glitzy newcomer who has no practical experience of the Scottish game.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    Probably McInnes. Mental because I’ve never been keen on him up until we were last looking for a new manager - it just makes sense atm.

He won’t touch us though, so it wont be happening.
    Good - for those supporting MacInnes - speak with the Dons fans. and if you were not a fan of Jack Ross just wait til Del has the reigns. If he does come he’ll have my support but I expect these words to stand the test of time should his appointment come to pass.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post
    We really have to stop sacking managers just because of a current run of poor performances, especially as Montgomery only arrived five months ago!

I really hope Hibs ignore the "expert internet-know-alls" who, have NO knowledge & experience of either managing or playing at SPFL level.

Constantly demanding the manager's head when we run into a rough patch has shown the folly of this lemming-like approach since we ditched Jack Ross.

However, whenever the time comes to change manager, hope we go for someone with SPFL experience, not another promising/glitzy newcomer who has no practical experience of the Scottish game.
    For basketcase club see Aberdeen.
    Let’s not turn into them - this revolving door has been horrendous but they appointed some real duds. Incredible they never got relegated (poor Falkirk and reconstruction iirc).

They turned on Alex Smith we took them to a bawshair of the title. Then went into free fall with their impatience.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post

Do you know, for an absolute fact, that none of us have experience of playing or managing at spfl level?

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Good - for those supporting MacInnes - speak with the Dons fans. and if you were not a fan of Jack Ross just wait til Del has the reigns. If he does come he’ll have my support but I expect these words to stand the test of time should his appointment come to pass.
    I reckon I know more Aberdeen fans than most on here and the majority of those hold him in exceptionally high regard and blame Cormack for the decline in performance towards the end of his time there rather than DM himself.

Even the couple who aren't keen on him admit they have got infinitely worse both in terms of results and performances since he moved on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    I’m still not done with Montgomery and would give him the season. Should he finish the season as things are going then we should be tapping into the Bournemouth link up.

Iraola doesn’t look like he will be leaving any time soon so Foley should be offering someone they have their eye on the Hibs job on the promise that if he’s doing well he gets the Bournemouth job when the time comes.

The downside of this is we may loose a good manger earlier than expected (not to mention the usual no guarantee of success) but the upside is we could potentially bring in a manger an EPL team is ready to take a punt on.
    You mean in the relegation play-off?

Build what ? A boring team that gets 3rd a couple of times at best while crowds fall . Montgomery won`t be here for 5 years ( may not be for even 5 days more ) and neither will his successor however well he does . If we really are going to have so much cash and want to spend a lot of it on our manager then spend it on someone who will make fans want to watch the team like with Lennon or with an exciting appointment .
    Have we not only finished 3rd twice in 20 years

Mowbray
    Ross

If McInnes delivered that as you say plus an odd cup final or two it’s complete the direction I want to be going in

Build what ? A boring team that gets 3rd a couple of times at best while crowds fall . Montgomery won`t be here for 5 years ( may not be for even 5 days more ) and neither will his successor however well he does . If we really are going to have so much cash and want to spend a lot of it on our manager then spend it on someone who will make fans want to watch the team like with Lennon or with an exciting appointment .
    With respect, lennon or your suggestions in your other post are bonkers.

McInnes is the right man and he would bring stability and success. Name me someone who has a better CV, is available/would come and who could almost guarantee success...

We blew it not bringing him in before.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Dismissing Derek McInnes because the football would be too dull then suggesting Stephen Kenny as an ideal man for the job is a wild wild take.
    Who has suggested Kenny would be ideal manager for us ? I gave his name with a question mark as a possible future Hibernian manager as someone who knows the Scottish league and has a lot of managerial experience . Possible in that he could be one of many candidates who we could consider .

Who has suggested Kenny would be ideal manager for us ? I gave his name with a question mark as a possible future Hibernian manager as someone who knows the Scottish league and has a lot of managerial experience . Possible in that he could be one of many candidates who we could consider .
    So just to confirm, you don't want McInnes, a guy who knows the league and has lots of experience and has consistently taken teams to 2nd or 3rd in that league. But you do think we could consider Stephen Kenny - a guy whose experience of the SPFL is to relegate Dunfermline?

So just to confirm, you don't want McInnes, a guy who knows the league and has lots of experience and has consistently taken teams to 2nd or 3rd in that league. But you do think we could consider Stephen Kenny - a guy whose experience of the SPFL is to relegate Dunfermline?
    Yes . Would consider Kenny yes .

I'd give it to Ian Murray.

We've hit the self destruct button with our last three managers. That ship has sailed. At least he would be box office.
    Which is even more reason not to make matters worse . Birmingham City had exactly the same idea when appointing Rooney too who was seen as box office as well , both are s**** managers though .

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    For basketcase club see Aberdeen.
    Let’s not turn into them - this revolving door has been horrendous but they appointed some real duds. Incredible they never got relegated (poor Falkirk and reconstruction iirc).

They turned on Alex Smith we took them to a bawshair of the title. Then went into free fall with their impatience.
    That’s not quite true. Smith was quite harshly dealt with, but he had a run of 17 games where they only won three and lost eight, which cost him his job (fun fact, one of those three wins was a 4-0 win at Tynie, and it was a home defeat to us that finally cost him).

There were two automatic relegation spots back then, and Aberdeen were getting dragged into it. Willie Miller came in and steadied the ship and they finished 6th.

Couple of points: Smith was the first Aberdeen manager to ever be sacked, so it’s not as if the supporters had previous for it. Secondly: in his first full season Miller finished 2nd in the league and lost the two cup finals; in his second one, they were 2nd in the league again, so hard to argue it was a bad decision.

Incidentally, Aberdeen’s next manager will be their 10th appointed this century - we’re already on 16 so I don’t know how they can be called more of a basket case than us. And that’s not to mention all the high league finishes under McInnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Belief. Something all supporters need to have. I know we have good players and I believe that the Coaching staff know what we should be doing. I was at the match yesterday and saw our main problems, in the first half, were two players (replaced at halftime) who were inept and the fact we were forced to play a youngster at right back. What good will replacing the manager do? We won’t have an instant replacement so we will lose not only the manager, but his assistant also, leaving DG in charge for, who knows how long? Let’s see what happens after the Celtic match before pressing the reset button again. Just imagine what would happen if we beat Celtic on Wednesday.
    I'm all for belief but it's got to be based on something and it's hard to share yours that the management team know what they're doing based on current evidence. Are you also sure we have good players? They strike me as pretty hapless as they far more often play poorly than well. Six league wins all season is testament to that. I'd say hope, rather than belief, is all most fans have to cling to.
    Last edited by He's here!; 04-02-2024 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Which is even more reason not to make matters worse . Birmingham City had exactly the same idea when appointing Rooney too who was seen as box office as well , both are s**** managers though .
    Keane did well with Sunderland. There's nothing to suggest he would make matters worse IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    If, as seems likely, Monty isn't long for the Hibs job, I'd like to see Alex Neil succeed him but I don't think we could go wrong with Derek McInnes.
    Spotted this thread and post straight after bumping the Alex Neil one up.

Would take McInnes but Neil would be more exciting.

Scott Parker ?

Keane did well with Sunderland. There's nothing to suggest he would make matters worse IMO.
    He got Sunderland promoted though ended up resigning to which reportedly the Sunderland players celebrated when hearing he was gone . Ipswich he was dismissed .

Two jobs he's had which ended badly . He has only a win ratio of 38% and seems to create mayhem most places he's been one way or the other .

Nothing to suggest he'd improve us and imo he'd make matters worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    He got Sunderland promoted though ended up resigning to which reportedly the Sunderland players celebrated when hearing he was gone . Ipswich he was dismissed .

Two jobs he's had which ended badly . He has only a win ratio of 38% and seems to create mayhem most places he's been one way or the other .

Nothing to suggest he'd improve us and imo he'd make matters worse.
    Matters cant get much worse.

Anyway pointless discussion as he will never be coming.

Matters cant get much worse.

Anyway pointless discussion as he will never be coming.
    Things are bad though imo an appointment like Keane or Kenny would see things it worse .

Hopefully not 👍