hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Something you can say about Robinson or McInnes teams is that they’re well organised, fit and have a few players that can get stuck in and win battles. By being well drilled and competitive in this league teams can be greater than the sum of its parts. These are all qualities you could rarely apply to any Hibs team in the 30 odd years I’ve been supporting them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On paper, some of the choices in recent years have made sense, and aren’t too dissimilar from what some of our rivals have also done;

Jack Ross - experienced in Scotland and down south, where perhaps things didn’t work out as he hoped, came back to Scotland to rebuild reputation, which is a tale as old as time, McInnes, Clarke etc.

Shaun Maloney - well thought of international coach, ex international, rookie. On paper he sounded a better bet than Robson or Naismith.

Lee Johnson - have to say I wouldn’t have ever picked him, but I guess on paper looked an experienced, safe pair of hands.

Nick Montgomery - won silverware in Oz on a tight budget and pushing youth players, I certainly thought he sounded exciting.

Any one of those routes, on paper, sound fine, and have worked out, either for other clubs, or even for us. But when you line them up like that, it’s clear the club have no idea what it wants, and is kind of rolling the dice or overreacting; the guy with experience in Scotland didn’t work, so let’s gets an exciting rookie, oh that didn’t work, so bring in a journeyman with loads of experience, ah damn, well the last guy had been sacked a lot so let’s find a winner!

It also says that while these ideas sound alright on paper, they don’t know how to judge the candidate, or prepare them for success. We appointed Maloney, mid season, and either tasked him with / let him try and change systems with an already limited squad, he was doomed from the start. Montgomery has come in, apparently, totally committed to a formation and tactics that, at best, this squad can’t cope with. We’ve created scenarios where these guys aren’t going to succeed. Meanwhile we all laughed at Aberdeen and Hearts appointing Robson and Naismith respectively, and even though one of them has just been sacked, they’ve both done better than any recent Hibs appointment, and presumably that’s largely down to the environment, planning and attitudes at both clubs rather than either of them being markedly better managers.

In short, everyone at the club with responsibility for running the football operation needs to be removed, perhaps the Black Knight guys can send / recommend someone who can be a proper Director of Football etc, that can then fully review coaching, scouting, recruitment, everything and start again. I’d leave SDG in charge for the rest of the season, then make way for whoever that process would then identity.
    Great post that contextualises our mess. We really have tried (with limited success and a lot of failure) a range of different approaches. I think the board really does have to take that step back before just going for another metaphorical safe pair of hands/exciting gamble etc appointment again.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Don’t know, but none of the ones mentioned so far. A manager coming in now would have to start again and we cannot afford to do that at this time. For that reason I think we would be better sticking with what we have and only move to replace when it becomes obvious that things aren’t going to get better. I would be very surprised if we don’t pick up points once we get the Celtic game out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Don’t know, but none of the ones mentioned so far. A manager coming in now would have to start again and we cannot afford to do that at this time. For that reason I think we would be better sticking with what we have and only move to replace when it becomes obvious that things aren’t going to get better. I would be very surprised if we don’t pick up points once we get the Celtic game out of the way.
    On what evidence?

Got to be Lennon for me.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The buzz I felt about Roy Keane being potentially given the job was something I hadn’t felt in my soul since Lennon got the job.

I’m not saying I particularly want Keane, but I’m Keane-curious.

What he would give us in terms of experience, contacts and radgeness is something we haven’t seen in the dugout since Lennon did the airplane.

I just want Hibs to be exciting again.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Every manager, you’d expect, would have a team that is aggressive, works hard and is up for it. I’d imagine that’s a minimum. I’m certain our previous managers including the current one will have said so during their interview/first press conference that that’s what we can expect.

So why have they all failed? Were they liars? Or do we have a club culture/mentality that perennially sees us being soft as ****?
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    On what evidence?
    Belief. Something all supporters need to have. I know we have good players and I believe that the Coaching staff know what we should be doing. I was at the match yesterday and saw our main problems, in the first half, were two players (replaced at halftime) who were inept and the fact we were forced to play a youngster at right back. What good will replacing the manager do? We won’t have an instant replacement so we will lose not only the manager, but his assistant also, leaving DG in charge for, who knows how long? Let’s see what happens after the Celtic match before pressing the reset button again. Just imagine what would happen if we beat Celtic on Wednesday.

Robinson was my choice when LJ was emptied so I'll stand by that. Wouldn't say no to McInnes either.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Belief. Something all supporters need to have. I know we have good players and I believe that the Coaching staff know what we should be doing. I was at the match yesterday and saw our main problems, in the first half, were two players (replaced at halftime) who were inept and the fact we were forced to play a youngster at right back. What good will replacing the manager do? We won’t have an instant replacement so we will lose not only the manager, but his assistant also, leaving DG in charge for, who knows how long? Let’s see what happens after the Celtic match before pressing the reset button again. Just imagine what would happen if we beat Celtic on Wednesday.
    I think you make some fair points tbh.

We struggled down our right side - we had a (?) 4th choice RB playing who has just turned 17. We WILL get players back from injury and international duty and that should improve us.

Also, many of us have moaned about the centre of midfield for years. We’ve signed central midfielders, neither of whom were fit to start yesterday. There’s a chance that they’ll be an improvement on the horror show pairing who have been mince for months. Just not having to carry Dylan Levitt will improve our team beyond recognition imo.

Hanlon and Rocky - whilst neither is perfect - would be an upgrade on yesterday’s centre halves.

A new man coming in will probably look at Levitt’s cv, think a Wales international who was at Man Utd until fairly recently would be a player to build a team around and find out to his cost that he really isn’t after a few games. At least Monty should (!!!!!!!!) be closer to making these realisations than anyone else will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The buzz I felt about Roy Keane being potentially given the job was something I hadn’t felt in my soul since Lennon got the job.

I’m not saying I particularly want Keane, but I’m Keane-curious.

What he would give us in terms of experience, contacts and radgeness is something we haven’t seen in the dugout since Lennon did the airplane.

I just want Hibs to be exciting again.
    No disrespect mate though of all the names mentioned if you wanted Hibs to press the ultimate self destruction button Roy Keane is the perfect choice.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    On paper, some of the choices in recent years have made sense, and aren’t too dissimilar from what some of our rivals have also done;

Jack Ross - experienced in Scotland and down south, where perhaps things didn’t work out as he hoped, came back to Scotland to rebuild reputation, which is a tale as old as time, McInnes, Clarke etc.

Shaun Maloney - well thought of international coach, ex international, rookie. On paper he sounded a better bet than Robson or Naismith.

Lee Johnson - have to say I wouldn’t have ever picked him, but I guess on paper looked an experienced, safe pair of hands.

Nick Montgomery - won silverware in Oz on a tight budget and pushing youth players, I certainly thought he sounded exciting.

Any one of those routes, on paper, sound fine, and have worked out, either for other clubs, or even for us. But when you line them up like that, it’s clear the club have no idea what it wants, and is kind of rolling the dice or overreacting; the guy with experience in Scotland didn’t work, so let’s gets an exciting rookie, oh that didn’t work, so bring in a journeyman with loads of experience, ah damn, well the last guy had been sacked a lot so let’s find a winner!

It also says that while these ideas sound alright on paper, they don’t know how to judge the candidate, or prepare them for success. We appointed Maloney, mid season, and either tasked him with / let him try and change systems with an already limited squad, he was doomed from the start. Montgomery has come in, apparently, totally committed to a formation and tactics that, at best, this squad can’t cope with. We’ve created scenarios where these guys aren’t going to succeed. Meanwhile we all laughed at Aberdeen and Hearts appointing Robson and Naismith respectively, and even though one of them has just been sacked, they’ve both done better than any recent Hibs appointment, and presumably that’s largely down to the environment, planning and attitudes at both clubs rather than either of them being markedly better managers.

In short, everyone at the club with responsibility for running the football operation needs to be removed, perhaps the Black Knight guys can send / recommend someone who can be a proper Director of Football etc, that can then fully review coaching, scouting, recruitment, everything and start again. I’d leave SDG in charge for the rest of the season, then make way for whoever that process would then identity.
    Really good post - hard to see how any change is going to result in anything other than the same calamities we have seen over the past years, however I wonder if some more serious money comes into the club with Foley that we see a name from a much higher level step in as a result or a manager who might not have considered coming here tempted by an irresistable financial incentive? I don´t know really - that´s the most optimistic thought I can muster...

Offer it to mcinnes.

Double his salary
    Tell him he's got 5 years and write into it that he won't be sacked bar relegation. Let him build something with some time.

We've got a bit cash, flex it in the right way. Get a manager who knows what he's doing up here and who can spot a player.

Stop pissing about.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Tbh I just want a manager who plays a system that line up with the strengths of the players we’ve got.

Neil Lennon a winner who wouldn’t tolerate slackers what happened in past is gone clean slate would get him in now

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Punt Monty, SDG in for the rest of the season then tempt Steve Clarke away after our failed Euro campaign.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Derek.

McInnes.

NOW

McInnes if he says no then Lennon till end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Offer it to mcinnes.

Double his salary
    Tell him he's got 5 years and write into it that he won't be sacked bar relegation. Let him build something with some time.

We've got a bit cash, flex it in the right way. Get a manager who knows what he's doing up here and who can spot a player.

Stop pissing about.

This in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    McInnes was available, and had a point to prove, when we sacked Ross. Not appointing him then has cost us a lot, IMO.

Would be my first choice now too, but I don’t think that we’ll go that way. Even if we did, I don’t think we’d match what Killie would want in compensation, and he doesn’t seem the type to resign in those circumstances.
    Compensation wouldn't be the barrier IMO. Probably talking a few hundred grand at most and that wouldn't preclude a move for him.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m still not done with Montgomery and would give him the season. Should he finish the season as things are going then we should be tapping into the Bournemouth link up.

Iraola doesn’t look like he will be leaving any time soon so Foley should be offering someone they have their eye on the Hibs job on the promise that if he’s doing well he gets the Bournemouth job when the time comes.

The downside of this is we may loose a good manger earlier than expected (not to mention the usual no guarantee of success) but the upside is we could potentially bring in a manger an EPL team is ready to take a punt on.

McInnes for me is a no brainer and should have been here already. We've messed around too much with managers who are untried and untested in the SPL. McInnes did a great job at Aberdeen over many seasons and now has Killie punching above their weight. We cannot afford to take any more risks when making our next managerial appointment.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    I’m still not done with Montgomery and would give him the season. Should he finish the season as things are going then we should be tapping into the Bournemouth link up.

Iraola doesn’t look like he will be leaving any time soon so Foley should be offering someone they have their eye on the Hibs job on the promise that if he’s doing well he gets the Bournemouth job when the time comes.

The downside of this is we may loose a good manger earlier than expected (not to mention the usual no guarantee of success) but the upside is we could potentially bring in a manger an EPL team is ready to take a punt on.
    I cannae see that happening, but the only way Bournemouth would be taking a manager from Hibs is if he was doing an outstanding job up here, so it’d be great for us!

Many seem to assume McInnes would jump at chance of managing Hibs or Lennon would be available while with a chance of being Ireland manager .
    Before paying compensation for McInnes , Robinson etc I`d be looking at other options like :
    1. Sticking with NM and seeing how things work out after signing half a dozen players in last week or so . Seems to have a good team of assistants too .
    2. Brian McD if he was interested in being manager for a few weeks / months . He`s got a better managerial record than the others mentioned so far .
    3. Mixture of folk already at club till end of the season - DG , Darren McG , Gareth Evans ,.....even Lewis S and Hanlon .
    4. Other options , mainly thinking of next season - Stephen Kenny ?
    For next season , will obviously depend on which league we`re in , but there are a lot of options and any candidates will obviously want to know what situation is regarding decisionmaking , signings etc .

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Offer it to mcinnes.

Double his salary

Stop pissing about.

Build what ? A boring team that gets 3rd a couple of times at best while crowds fall . Montgomery won`t be here for 5 years ( may not be for even 5 days more ) and neither will his successor however well he does . If we really are going to have so much cash and want to spend a lot of it on our manager then spend it on someone who will make fans want to watch the team like with Lennon or with an exciting appointment .

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    We can’t gamble this time, the next appointment has to be right. They need to stop trying to pluck folk from obscurity and go with someone who is proven in the league and has a good track record behind them.
    Has to be Mcinnes or Lennon both have great records in the league and shouldn’t be unrealistic targets.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Build what ? A boring team that gets 3rd a couple of times at best while crowds fall . Montgomery won`t be here for 5 years ( may not be for even 5 days more ) and neither will his successor however well he does . If we really are going to have so much cash and want to spend a lot of it on our manager then spend it on someone who will make fans want to watch the team like with Lennon or with an exciting appointment .
    Why would crowds fall? If we are finishing 3rd and in Europe then I don't get why that would happen, our crowds have remained consistent through the last 2 or 3 years of dross on the park.

Worth noting Aberdeen's average attendance the season before McInnes was appointed was 9615. The no lockdown seasons under his watch were 12394, 13359, 13084, 12640, 15775, 14924 and 13796. The notion McIness drives fans away doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    If McInnes finished third a couple of times he would be the only Hibs manager to have done so since Eddie Turnbull. Yet that still wouldn't be good enough for you because you've decided his football is dull?

If McInnes done that we would likely be playing group stage football several times. There's no danger crowds would be down.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    No disrespect mate though of all the names mentioned if you wanted Hibs to press the ultimate self destruction button Roy Keane is the perfect choice.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Keane
    We've hit the self destruct button with our last three managers. That ship has sailed. At least he would be box office.

Many seem to assume McInnes would jump at chance of managing Hibs or Lennon would be available while with a chance of being Ireland manager .
    Before paying compensation for McInnes , Robinson etc I`d be looking at other options like :
    1. Sticking with NM and seeing how things work out after signing half a dozen players in last week or so . Seems to have a good team of assistants too .
    2. Brian McD if he was interested in being manager for a few weeks / months . He`s got a better managerial record than the others mentioned so far .
    3. Mixture of folk already at club till end of the season - DG , Darren McG , Gareth Evans ,.....even Lewis S and Hanlon .
    4. Other options , mainly thinking of next season - Stephen Kenny ?
    For next season , will obviously depend on which league we`re in , but there are a lot of options and any candidates will obviously want to know what situation is regarding decisionmaking , signings etc .
    These suggestions are absolutely bonkers