hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get the point

However

If said manager doesn’t / can’t finish high up in the European slots which is foleys number 1 aim for the project / plan / investment to work, it’s almost irrelevant
    I’m not convinced us being in Europe matters one way or the other to Foley, maybe as a happy outcome of us having a better squad of young prospects I guess, but not as the number 1 goal; I can’t see him making money available to sign a bunch of 28 - 30 year old starters, for example, as while they’d be good for us, they’d be irrelevant for the group.

Also wonder if they’ll look to do what the City Group do with coaches and have them move around the clubs? Might be worth looking at the assistants or youth managers at Bournemouth or Lorient…

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I’m not convinced us being in Europe matters one way or the other to Foley, maybe as a happy outcome of us having a better squad of young prospects I guess, but not as the number 1 goal; I can’t see him making money available to sign a bunch of 28 - 30 year old starters, for example, as while they’d be good for us, they’d be irrelevant for the group.

Also wonder if they’ll look to do what the City Group do with coaches and have them move around the clubs? Might be worth looking at the assistants or youth managers at Bournemouth or Lorient…
    That's maybe true but Hibs still have money, we can still buy those players, and Foley's picks can supplement that.
    Last edited by VoltaireHibs; 04-02-2024 at 04:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I get the whole McInnes chat but who’s to say he wasn’t approached before and just turned us down??

@hibs.net private member
    I would have chose McInnes every time since he left the Dons and Robinson wouldn't be far behind. They rarely preside over teams that are a shambles and lack fight. If we end up with an organised, hard working team with our budget top six is a given and we won't be far away from 3rd every season. Pretty much what McInnes does and Robinson has shown he is capable of. The last 3 appointments have been ridiculous imo as have many of teh signings we have made. No idea how fans get excited over a foreign sounding name as the success rate for players coming into Scotland is pretty low. Plenty decent players to be had and it is no surprise the likes of the McGinns, Nisbet, Fyvie etc etc were a success as they all had a pedigree. Most of them were cheaper than the duds we have signed since.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    I get the whole McInnes chat but who’s to say he wasn’t approached before and just turned us down??
    We can’t know for sure, but I think we would have heard rumours at least.

I’d also be amazed if he turned us down after leaving Aberdeen.

How about supporting the management team we have just now

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I too wanted McInnes or Robinson, both know the league and have done very well with their limited budgets, seem to know how to set up a team and play well against the top 2-4 teams.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    If we were to offer him the job tomorrow I’d be very surprised of he’d want it.

He turned Rangers down when he was happy at Aberdeen and I wouldn’t have thought we would look like a particularly appealing option for him just now.

I think he’s someone that people will just need to get over at some point.

Mcinnes

Robinson for me. Pretty impressive what he’s done at St Mirren, his teams are hard to play against but also play decent stuff. Think he deserves a chance at a bigger club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

He turned Rangers down when he was happy at Aberdeen and I wouldn’t have thought we would look like a particularly appealing option for him just now.

I suspect the lack of clarity at Hibs would put him off. Who's making what decisions etc. He's too grey in the beard to fall for sales chat.

Alex Neil I would like as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    I suspect the lack of clarity at Hibs would put him off. Who's making what decisions etc. He's too grey in the beard to fall for sales chat.
    Aye, I agree.

That’s not to say we couldn’t appoint a brilliant manager from elsewhere, I just don’t think he would see us as a good fit for him just now.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

If he doesn’t want it then that’s his choice, but I’d definitely be offering him it to see what he decided.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Stephen Robinson or Derek McInnes.

Someone with a good knowledge of our league, who knows how to set up a team would be a help.

Our last few appointments including the current clown have been shocking.

Our board love rookies.
    Agree with this.

The board & Kensell need to uncomplicate things and make a sensible choice based on the facts and evidence that is immediately around them.

I have a feeling though that Robinson & McInnes would have serious doubts of our recruitment strategy/structure and would ask for things which The Gordons & Kensell would not permit. if Montgomery goes that would mean looking for our fifth manager in little more than three years.

What a complete and utter shambles The Gordons and Kensell have made of things.

If McInnes had a season like he had last season as Hibs manager then he would have been sacked at the end of last season and wouldn't have been given the time to have a season like he's having this season.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    If he doesn’t want it then that’s his choice, but I’d definitely be offering him it to see what he decided.
    I 100% get where you’re coming from and can completely see the appeal behind McInnes. I do wonder though, would McInnes be a good fit for our current structure and ownership model we have?

It’s important our next manager is a good fit for us as a club just now too. I think the type of manager that replaces Montgomery, whenever that is, will probably be someone who’s fully behind the multi club structure and all that goes with it. I know lots of people won’t like that but imo we’re not just getting given £6m+ for nothing.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I wouldn’t have an issue with offering the job to McInnes. His teams mightn’t be the most entertaining, but they are well drilled and organised. He can get results, and right now that’s what we need. He knows the SPL as well as anybody in the game. Lots of positives overall.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    If McInnes had a season like he had last season as Hibs manager then he would have been sacked at the end of last season and wouldn't have been given the time to have a season like he's having this season.
    It’s not a like for like comparison though. Killie were newly promoted, and would be delighted with where they finished last year.

Gamer IDs

I 100% get where you’re coming from and can completely see the appeal behind McInnes. I do wonder though, would McInnes be a good fit for our current structure and ownership model we have?

It’s important our next manager is a good fit for us as a club just now too. I think the type of manager that replaces Montgomery, whenever that is, will probably be someone who’s fully behind the multi club structure and all that goes with it. I know lots of people won’t like that but imo we’re not just getting given £6m+ for nothing.
    I think you’re over complicating it.

If we bring in Mcinnes then we are bringing in a manager who has proven he can be a success in this league. Repeatedly.

Take it back to its simplest form. Get a manager who wins.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    It’s not a like for like comparison though. Killie were newly promoted, and would be delighted with where they finished last year.
    Newly promoted and a side who don’t expect to be finishing in the top 6 based on their budget.

McInnes last season with Killie was not a poor season for Killie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Yep. A season like they had last year from the starting point they had would be the equivalent of us finishing about were we did last season from the starting point we had and that was enough to get Johnson another window. If Johnson had us having an equivalent season to what McIness is having at Killie this year that would have meant progression again and us sitting clear in 3rd. It's oranges and apples in terms of budget, targets and expectations.

McIness was brought in at Killie to get them up which he did. Last year was about consolidation and they stayed up comfortably in the end and people posting a league table after 32 games proves nothing otherwise, the season doesn't end after 32 games and results against comparable sides after the split saw them win 3 from 5 and stay up with a healthy cushion. This year European football looks a real possibility and they have a couple of wins against the OF as well, games we all but right off before a ball is kicked these days.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I think you’re over complicating it.

If we bring in Mcinnes then we are bringing in a manager who has proven he can be a success in this league. Repeatedly.

Take it back to its simplest form. Get a manager who wins.
    I think you’re over simplifying it.

There’s no dangers McInnes would come to us for the reasons mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    How about supporting the management team we have just now

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
    Many have tried that, most have had enough.

Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    Agree with this.

The board & Kensell need to uncomplicate things and make a sensible choice based on the facts and evidence that is immediately around them.

I have a feeling though that Robinson & McInnes would have serious doubts of our recruitment strategy/structure and would ask for things which The Gordons & Kensell would not permit. if Montgomery goes that would mean looking for our fifth manager in little more than three years.

What a complete and utter shambles The Gordons and Kensell have made of things.
    Keep Kensell out of any manager picks please.

I'll add I saw a post on an Aberdeen page on Facebook the other day that lists former players and managers (I saw it because my Aberdeen supporting mate commented). It was a picture of McInnes and a list of his achievements.

I excepted the comments to be fairly negative given what some on here say about their perception of Aberdeen's fans views on him. That vast majority were 'didn't know what we had until it was gone', 'best manager since Fergie' and 'I hope those who hounded him out are happy'. I have a few Aberdeen supporting mates and whilst they did feel it had gone stale for his final year, they pretty much unanimously agree getting shot of him was a mistake.

Maybe that is because like us they have made 3 disastrous appointments since and is the same reason with hindsight us getting rid of Ross looks a bad decision.

Gamer IDs

I think you’re over simplifying it.

There’s no dangers McInnes would come to us for the reasons mentioned.
    Why wouldn’t he come into this set up? What wouldn’t he be allowed to do that’s so important to him, and how does anyone know?

I've always wanted Michael O'Neill to have a crack at it, think he would be a good fit, or depending on ambition and amount of investment coming our way, how about Steve Cooper?(available).
    Last edited by leith lynx; 04-02-2024 at 05:06 PM.

Derek Mciness, I love Neil Lennon but Mciness would be the obvious sensible option, he was before Monty and even more so now we need an experienced manager to steady the ship. He's as safe as we can get.