hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

If you were in charge of picking our manager who would you (realistically) appoint?

If, as seems likely, Monty isn't long for the Hibs job, I'd like to see Alex Neil succeed him but I don't think we could go wrong with Derek McInnes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    McInnes.

Should have been approached before Montgomery got the job.

Instead of someone proven we went for an absolute gamble. We’ve done the same in January with our approach to improving the defence.

I’ve said before but McInnes is my first choice. Whether that happens or not is another matter.

Left by mutual consent!
    Steve Robinson. I would have liked him prior to NM, but also felt NM was worth the gamble.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McInnes.

Should have been approached before Montgomery got the job.

Instead of someone proven we went for an absolute gamble. We’ve done the same in January with our approach to improving the defence.

This.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    I’ve said before but McInnes is my first choice. Whether that happens or not is nothing matter.
    I think with Robinson you get what McInnes basically offers but a bit more style. Wouldn't be upset by McInnes though. We desperately need to steady the ship.

@hibs.net private member
    Probably McInnes. Mental because I’ve never been keen on him up until we were last looking for a new manager - it just makes sense atm.

He won’t touch us though, so it wont be happening.

Robinson.

@hibs.net private member
    Tony Mowbray
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 04-02-2024 at 03:24 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Someone who knows the league, has a track record of finishing 3rd, has got his team to cup finals…. step forward Robbie Nelson

McInnes but I’m not sure he’d take the job now to be honest

Next I’d look at Robinson or Alex Neil.

The "realistically" part makes this really difficult.

We're rapidly becoming a managerial graveyard and any self-respecting manager with ability will be a bit concerned about taking a sip from the "get third whilst babysitting a bunch of transient youngsters" chalice, even if Foley money does sound attractive.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    McInnes

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm in two minds with this. There's a lot of upheaval already at Hibs is it really all down to the manager the struggle for form and cohesion? Pocchetino is struggling at Chelsea and they've went through some turnover in players as well.

I'm willing to bite my lip and give him longer despite having doubts about the style he thinks he can implement.

If they punt him I'd let SDG have it.

@hibs.net private member h185forever's Avatar
    Lennon till the end of the season …. if he’d take it….with a longer contract dangled for improving the current squad.

I appreciate he has baggage but we need someone who stands a chance of motivating/scaring/toughening the current squad.

On paper, some of the choices in recent years have made sense, and aren’t too dissimilar from what some of our rivals have also done;

Jack Ross - experienced in Scotland and down south, where perhaps things didn’t work out as he hoped, came back to Scotland to rebuild reputation, which is a tale as old as time, McInnes, Clarke etc.

Shaun Maloney - well thought of international coach, ex international, rookie. On paper he sounded a better bet than Robson or Naismith.

Lee Johnson - have to say I wouldn’t have ever picked him, but I guess on paper looked an experienced, safe pair of hands.

Nick Montgomery - won silverware in Oz on a tight budget and pushing youth players, I certainly thought he sounded exciting.

Any one of those routes, on paper, sound fine, and have worked out, either for other clubs, or even for us. But when you line them up like that, it’s clear the club have no idea what it wants, and is kind of rolling the dice or overreacting; the guy with experience in Scotland didn’t work, so let’s gets an exciting rookie, oh that didn’t work, so bring in a journeyman with loads of experience, ah damn, well the last guy had been sacked a lot so let’s find a winner!

It also says that while these ideas sound alright on paper, they don’t know how to judge the candidate, or prepare them for success. We appointed Maloney, mid season, and either tasked him with / let him try and change systems with an already limited squad, he was doomed from the start. Montgomery has come in, apparently, totally committed to a formation and tactics that, at best, this squad can’t cope with. We’ve created scenarios where these guys aren’t going to succeed. Meanwhile we all laughed at Aberdeen and Hearts appointing Robson and Naismith respectively, and even though one of them has just been sacked, they’ve both done better than any recent Hibs appointment, and presumably that’s largely down to the environment, planning and attitudes at both clubs rather than either of them being markedly better managers.

In short, everyone at the club with responsibility for running the football operation needs to be removed, perhaps the Black Knight guys can send / recommend someone who can be a proper Director of Football etc, that can then fully review coaching, scouting, recruitment, everything and start again. I’d leave SDG in charge for the rest of the season, then make way for whoever that process would then identity.

Derek McInnes

No more experiments
    No more projects
    No more records of developing young players in other leagues etc

Just a solid experienced spfl proven manager

I’d also think that, given Black Knight have invested in us specifically as another option for the development of players throughout their group, you can probably rule out any manager that isn’t well known for developing players or blooding youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Tony Mowbray
    If only ,proper manager who's teams play good football ( no hoof ball )

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I’d also think that, given Black Knight have invested in us specifically as another option for the development of players throughout their group, you can probably rule out any manager that isn’t well known for developing players or blooding youth.
    Get the point

However

If said manager doesn’t / can’t finish high up in the European slots which is foleys number 1 aim for the project / plan / investment to work, it’s almost irrelevant

McIness.

No more experiments trying to play the mythical 'Hibs way', plain and simple football with a result at the end.

Left by mutual consent!
    Lennon, in the short term.

Then, have a look at how he did with a view to a longer stay.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Stephen Robinson or Derek McInnes.

Someone with a good knowledge of our league, who knows how to set up a team would be a help.

Our last few appointments including the current clown have been shocking.

Our board love rookies.

McIness.

If we went for another punt I wouldn't be against Rhys McCabe either but not really the right time for that I don't think.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Derek McInnes

No more experiments
    No more projects
    No more records of developing young players in other leagues etc

Just a solid experienced spfl proven manager
    Yup -it has come to this.

At first my thoughts were that he’d refuse it anyway - but with us being so low and decent money being available then he might think that he could become an absolute legend at ER

Who knows ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by h185forever View Post
    Lennon till the end of the season …. if he’d take it….with a longer contract dangled for improving the current squad.

I appreciate he has baggage but we need someone who stands a chance of motivating/scaring/toughening the current squad.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Leaning towards McInnes because if we don’t, all we will hear forever more is we should have appointed McInnes.

He doesn’t get the juices flowing for me but I can see the attraction.

In terms of my actual preference, I’ve really no idea. I wanted Graham Arnold or Montgomery last time.

I still love the idea of a mental chain smoking South American that wears sun glasses all year round, I don’t have any names though.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Experienced managers (safer pair of hands)
    McInnes
    Robinson
    Mowbray

Inexperienced (could be worth a shot)
    Ian Murray
    David Gray

McInnes. Should have got the gig 2 appointments ago but Kensell’s ego got in the way and we ended up with Maloney.

I think he’d like to manage us too, but there appears to be too many voices off at Easter Road that might stop a resolute character like him taking it over.

Total farcical state of affairs which is all on the Board.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    McInnes was available, and had a point to prove, when we sacked Ross. Not appointing him then has cost us a lot, IMO.

Would be my first choice now too, but I don’t think that we’ll go that way. Even if we did, I don’t think we’d match what Killie would want in compensation, and he doesn’t seem the type to resign in those circumstances.