hibs.net Messageboard

Did your kids/grandkids keep supporing Hibs after you took them to their first game?

Following on from the poster who was taking his grandson to his first game yesterday, I wondered how many of those of you with kids/grandchildren have seen them go on to become fully-fledged, lifelong Hibs fans.

The implication from the phrase 'first Hibs game' is that it will be the first of many, but when it comes to my own kids that has simply not come to pass. My eldest was a Hibs Kid and we went to a number of games with his friends and their parents, but it never really grabbed him and years later he has zero interest in any sport. My second eldest also became a Hibs Kid but drifted away due to the fact he plays all kinds of other sports (but not football!) and would simply much rather take part in sport than watch it. Only my daughter continues to maintain an interest but almost exclusively in Hibs Women because her former dance teacher's sister used to play for them.

I imagine the majority of fans were, like me, born into following Hibs and in my case it just seemed the natural thing to follow the family tradition. I used to think it was a shame that the tradition isn't really going to be maintained but part of me also thinks it's not the worst thing that they've not been lumbered with the burden of following a club which so often gives little back in return for a lifetime of emotional investment.

Out of interest, did anyone's kids go on to support a club OTHER than Hibs?

2. Log in to remove the advert

At the moment yes. Took my 6 year old grandson to his first game at Easter Road which we won,and we haven't won since,so don't know how long he will be interested

@hibs.net private member
    My Daughters reported me to Childline 🥹

To be honest as bairns they were hibs kids and loved the Christmas parties and all the fuss that goes with it, they enjoyed the crap overpriced food and drinks but after a while they gave up on the actual football as they lost interest, my eldest tags along now and then but generally they have other interests in life

On the other hand one of my Cousins was taken to hibs games as a kid by one of my Uncles and she loved it so much she attended home and away for years as well as having a season ticket and she eventually got a job at the club where she has worked for many years

Yes. They're well and truly captured. Sorry kids

My sons and grandsons have stuck with Hibs, to different levels of support, but continually tell me it’s my fault they do!

That was the seventh Scottish game I've taken my six year old to and the first we've lost. Was also the first he'd had any sort of opposition in going to because he'd rather be glued to Roblox. Generally he says he wants to go, but little of it sticks and has any impact on him.

I couldn't blame him for not seeing any sort of incentive to stick with it - nothing is happening on the pitch to credibly say it's worth watching. Biggest fear is that he sees certain other teams doing well and gets it in his head that would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was the seventh Scottish game I've taken my six year old to and the first we've lost. Was also the first he'd had any sort of opposition in going to because he'd rather be glued to Roblox. Generally he says he wants to go, but little of it sticks and has any impact on him.

I couldn't blame him for not seeing any sort of incentive to stick with it - nothing is happening on the pitch to credibly say it's worth watching. Biggest fear is that he sees certain other teams doing well and gets it in his head that would be the way to go.
    Absolutely. How do you 'sell' Hibs to any kid right now?

A work colleague to his kids to the Luzern match and they were all buzzing after it. It's hard to believe that game actually took place this season. They'd brush us aside with ease now.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    My sons and grandsons have stuck with Hibs, to different levels of support, but continually tell me it’s my fault they do!
    They're right, it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    They're right, it is!
    True 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    mine too

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post

I took my son from 2004 til 2013 he just didn’t really get into football unfortunately,his final season ticket was 2012 -2013 season and now it’s just semi finals and finals.

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    I was born in Edinburgh but left to move to Glasgow at age 3

My daughter is 100% Weegie.

I took her to see HIBS v Raith Rovers in 1996 when she was 6 months old - we won 1-0.

Fast forward 28 years and she is living in Abbeyhill and has a ST at ER

She went to primary/secondary schools which were full of Der Hun too

I think it’s fair to say I have done a decent job despite the obstacles in the Weege.

My daughter is the oldest and I took her to her first game when she was 6. She was a Hibs kid for years and even featured in a video to launch a new kit. She's 14 now and not really interested anymore although she comes along with me and her brother occasionally.

My son, on the other hand, has loved it since his first game and, despite the crap football and frequent disappointments still wants to go as often as he can. He plays now, but still wants to go as often as he can. Blames me and his late granddad for making him a Hibby, but he's sold. That's him for.life.

Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    My daughter is the oldest and I took her to her first game when she was 6. She was a Hibs kid for years and even featured in a video to launch a new kit. She's 14 now and not really interested anymore although she comes along with me and her brother occasionally.

My son, on the other hand, has loved it since his first game and, despite the crap football and frequent disappointments still wants to go as often as he can. He plays now, but still wants to go as often as he can. Blames me and his late granddad for making him a Hibby, but he's sold. That's him for.life.
    A few saying they've got kids who've lost interest. Has that always been the case down the years do you think or do kids just have more distractions/things they find more enjoyable these days?

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    I've got a ST along with my 10 year old son. We've been going for about the last 6 years with his grandad and his friend.

Unfortunately my dad passed away recently so part of the reason for going is no longer there.

Now at the point where he says he doesn't want to go and I don't force him unless it stops me going as it's just so bloody boring.

I'm really considering whether to renew next year. The performances along with the Hibs board silence over the sectarianism from the Huns isn't exactly warming me to the idea.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Had a horrible feeling it was PatHead who'd started this thread.

Youngest is 8 and have took him to a few games in the last 2 years, we are at a stage where he says Hibs never win, he quite likes Celtic at the moment, hopefully can get that stage out of him soon enough, just need Hibs to do a bit better on the pitch.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Took my son to his first game when he was 5 and almost 50 years later he is still a season ticket holder and far more committed than me. He was one of the first Hibs Kids and now his daughters are both members. He just missed out on the best of Turnbull and unfortunately there have been far more lows than highs since then.
    I’ve got to say I felt sorry for those fans who took their children or grandchildren to that fiasco yesterday.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    Youngest is 8 and have took him to a few games in the last 2 years, we are at a stage where he says Hibs never win, he quite likes Celtic at the moment, hopefully can get that stage out of him soon enough, just need Hibs to do a bit better on the pitch.
    This is the saddening thing about being continuously rubbish for years on end. As frustrating as it is for us Hibs veterans, it is completely uninspiring and off putting for the next generation.

It's good that young football fans realise that their team can't and shouldn't win all the time, 'character building' my dad used to call it, but they need some excitement at least some of the time. To watch hibs these days is to watch a team that hardly ever has a good game, and that will turn kids right off.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    A few saying they've got kids who've lost interest. Has that always been the case down the years do you think or do kids just have more distractions/things they find more enjoyable these days?
    I think it's always been the case. My daughter just seemed to grow out of it. She used to play as well, in mixed teams, but then hated playing with boys so gave up. At the time, there wasn't as much focus on the women's game and I think she associated it with boys and just gave up. She still tells people she supports Hibs, but is now just a bit ambivalent about it.

First Team Regular
    My son's first Hibs match was a home defeat to Dunfermline when he was about five. He's now 18 and after every match he says he's giving up watching Hibs, but keeps on coming back for more. The last match I successfully dragged my daughter to was when we got relegated by Hamilton. She must've jinxed it, so I've never taken her back.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    I think kids can accept defeat better than some adults. My grandson knows he will take some ribbing from his Hearts supporting mates, but he seems to accept that supporting a football team means you have up and downs and continues to support Hibs, even if we are having more downs than ups at the moment!